The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005) Poster

552 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
"The 40 Year-Old Virgin" does the deed and then something else
dee.reid22 August 2005
In the previews, "The 40 Year-Old Virgin" boasts the image of another immature sex romp about a 40-ish Lonely Guy who suddenly feels the urge to do the deed simply because he hasn't. Too many past bad experiences have dampened his enthusiasm to the point that he avoids women completely. And then the unexpected happens: he falls in love. What's more, there's a movie out about it, and it's called "The 40 Year-old Virgin."

The virgin of the title is Andy Stitzer (Steve Carell), who is indeed 40, works as an employee at an electronics store and collects vintage action figures, which are displayed all throughout his nice bachelor pad for all to see. He has a lovely home theater system and watches "Survivor" with his two kind elderly neighbors. He's a pretty picturesque definition of the Lonely Guy who needs to go out more and talk to more women.

Now here's the real novelty with this picture: it does the impossible task of actually dealing with its subject matter in a cute, mature fashion. This is a movie that could very easily have turned out a lot differently in the hands of a more transparent team of filmmakers. It could have descended into endless sex gags and jokes but thankfully this picture never stoops that low. Sure there are sex jokes here and there and even a few prods are aimed at the gay community (which are, in no way, meant to be taken as gay-bashing), as two of the characters exchange insults towards each other while playing a video game ("Mortal Kombat: Deception," no less - the ultimate testosterone-driven fightfest for guys).

As someone who is rapidly approaching 20, collects McFarlane Toys action figures AND has himself never done the deed, I found this film amusing and touching in a way that a similar-themed movie could never have been. I was able to relate to the character of Andy Stitzer more than anyone in the theater because I was the only teenager present at this showing; everyone else looked like they were all past 40. A bit arrogant, I know, but would you ("you" is italicized) still be able to relate if you were the only teen present at an afternoon screening of "The 40 Year-Old Virgin"?

Of course Andy has never had sex and wakes up everyday with "morning rise" (don't ask), and he's pressured by his buddies to try outlandish methods of gaining the attention of the opposite sex. When it's first discovered Andy is a virgin, at 40, his three buddies and fellow electronics store coworkers David (Paul Rudd), Jay (Romany Malco) and Cal (Seth Rogen) all at first assume he's gay because he's never been with a woman, which couldn't be any further from the truth. The truth is, Andy loves women, but past traumatic experiences (revealed hilariously one after the other in a flashback sequence) have put him on the sidelines for good.

David, Jay, and Cal each embark on a mission to get Andy laid, so help them all. But you know that such escapades will only end in disaster, as proved by one date with Nicky (Leslie Mann), who puts Andy through the worst drunk-driving experience I think anyone would not want to go through and he has a rather creepy encounter with Beth (Elizabeth Banks), the pretty girl who works in the bookstore and is eventually revealed to be a total sex fiend.

Things brighten up for Andy when he meets Trish (Catherine Keener), the friendly woman who works at a store across the street that sells stuff on eBay for people. Hmmm. And with that nice-looking collection of action figures, you can go figure that in the end a large financial payoff awaits him, that is if he can ever "do the deed."

At last, this is the sex romp we've been waiting for. It deals with a very real issue a lot of Lonely Guys probably go through, not that anything is wrong with being a virgin but let's look at the big picture: How many of us "Lonely Guys" want to be a lonely guy forever? The important thing we're taught in this picture is that Lonely Guy must be himself. I don't think he needs to go through body waxing like Andy does (which is side-splitting to be honest, and according to this website and various other news articles, was in fact real, and so was the blood on Carell's shirt afterward).

"The 40 Year-Old Virgin" was directed by Judd Apatow and co-written by himself and Carell, which originated as a skit that starred Carell. Carell is sweet and human, as his character is not some layabout who approaches this thing with his eyes shut. This is probably one of the most intelligent romps I've ever seen and is not offensive (a whole lot) because its characters are treated with dignity and respect. Even Carell's buddies, who pass off bad advice to cover up their own relationship insecurities, can be related to on a fundamental level.

The way "The 40 Year-Old Virgin" plays out is indeed funny in the end, but I'll leave that up to you, the viewer, to observe. Surely, if anyone can go through the things Andy does and still have the strength to attract a woman as sexy as Catherine Keener, then it's true: It is never too late!

221 out of 316 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very funny film that really showcases Carell's talent
nmeaton_727 July 2005
Just came out of a sneak preview for this film. It had me laughing every 30 secs. The ending was so funny that tears were rolling down my face and it had me wishing I hadn't bought that large coke. There are definitely some lulls, but, overall, highly entertaining. The movie lets Steve Carell have a chance to shine after stealing the spotlight from both Jim Carrey in "Bruce Almighty" and Will Ferrell "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgendy" in their movies. Paul Rudd is hilarious as always. I love that he can be so funny in these broad comedies and continues to work in indie dramas (like P.S.). I think that Seth Rogen should be getting more work, because he so freaking talented and engaging. Leslie Mann also had some incredibly funny moments. I highly recommend it for those who just want to laugh like a maniac. However, if you're easily offended, don't see this movie. If you're a rabid feminist, don't see this movie. And, please, not matter what, even if you think you're one of those "hip" parents, don't take your kids to this movie. Sure, you should let your teens go see this movie, just don't watch it with them. It would make for some incredibly awkward moments.
248 out of 367 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Breakout film for Carell
ivko26 August 2005
Steve Carell has made a career out of portraying the slightly odd straight guy, first on 'The Daily Show', and then in various supporting roles. In Virgin, Carell has found a clever and hilarious script that perfectly capitalizes on his strengths. Carell plays Andy Stitzer, a middle aged man living a quiet, lonely life. Andy is a little odd, but in an awkward nice guy sort of way. One night, while socializing with his co-workers for the first time, Andy accidentally reveals that he is a virgin. His co-workers, David (Paul Rudd), Jay (Romany Malco), and Cal (Seth Rogen) initially tease Andy about his situation. But it's clear that all three have a certain respect for the decent human being that Andy is, and they resolve to help him out by assisting him in ending his virginity. And so begins Andy's quest into adulthood. Andy is the quintessential innocent, and the bulk of the humor derives from his naiveté to the situations he finds himself in throughout the film. Some of the humor is crude gross out stuff, but most of it is just well done intelligent comedy. In addition, I found some parts of the film actually pretty touching as Andy finds himself developing both romantic relationships and friendships perhaps for the first time in his life. I'm not trying to portray the movie as a love story or a drama; it's a rolling in your seats comedy. Still, every good comedy I have ever seen contains enough heart for you to care about the characters. A good comparison would be 'The Wedding Crashers' from earlier this summer. Virgin has a similar humor, but is perhaps a bit more vulgar in some of its jokes. I particularly loved the ending of the film, which I thought was a perfect way to end the flick. Without giving anything away, it reminded me of 'Something About Mary'. Very light and fun; it leaves you laughing and smiling, which is exactly how you should feel when you finish a comedy. I would highly recommend.
154 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
love, actually
pookey5615 December 2005
this is one of the funnier films i've seen. it had it's crude moments, but they were full of charm. it's Altmanesque screenplay, brilliant physical humour, and relaxed friendships were a pleasure to watch, and a slice of life most of us can relate to. and i can say with a measure of honesty that i was afraid for Steve Carell's nipple..i truly was. surprisingly, this is a good-natured, unabashed comedy that is essentially about love, and the many relationships we may find ourselves in along the way. Catherine Keener was terrific as Trish, and all of Steve Carell's friends were flawed but amiable, and so much fun. the idea that they suspected that Carell was a serial killer is a hilarious metaphor for a forty-year old virgin. but the simple truth was that he wanted to be in love first. original, charming, and very funny. highly recommended.
69 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cute, crude, charming, nasty, hilarious, and more......
dhair5917 August 2005
I got a free pass to a preview of this movie last night and didn't know what to expect. The premise seemed silly and I assumed it would be a lot of shallow make-fun-of-the-virgin humor. What a great surprise. I laughed so hard I cried at some of the jokes. This film is a must see for anyone with an open mind and a slightly twisted sense of humor. OK.....this is not a movie to go to with your grandmother (Jack Palance?) or small children. The language is filthy, the jokes are (very) crude, and the sex talk is about as graphic as you'll find anywhere. What's amazing, however, is that the movie is still a sweet love story. My girlfriend and I both loved it. Steve Carell is terrific, but (like The Office) the supporting cast really makes the film work. All of the characters have their flaws, but they also have depth and likability. Everyone pulls their weight and the chemistry is perfect. I can't wait to get the DVD. I'm sure it will be up there with Office Space for replays and quotable lines.
131 out of 198 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's about time a really funny movie came along!
LivinForMovies30 July 2005
I haven't laughed this hard at a movie in a long time. I got to go to an advance screening, and was thrilled because I had been dying to see it. I had tears in my eyes from laughter throughout a lot of the movie. The audience all shared my laughter, and was clapping and yelling throughout most of the movie.

Kudos to Steve Carrell(who I had already been a fan of). He proves in this movie his tremendous talent for comedy. He has a style that I haven't seen before. And Catherine Keener is excellent as always. Thank God there wasn't a cameo from Will Ferrell(love him, but saw him too much this summer).

There were parts of comedic genius in this movie. Partly thanks to Carrell, and partly thanks to the writing(also Carrell). The waxing scene and the speed dater with the "obvious problem" were absolutely hysterical.

I will definitely go see '40 Year Old Virgin' when it's released. My advice: go to see it for huge laughs and an incredibly enjoyable movie on top of it.
218 out of 339 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a healthy reminder that sex jokes can be well crafted; Carrell is genius
MisterWhiplash21 August 2005
Something about the 40 Year Old Virgin and the other comedy hit of the summer, Wedding Crashers, is similar, but they are two different films in some respects. Both are romantic comedies that have that kind of over-the-top, crazy sensibility that keeps the teens and guys in their 20's along with the usual dating crowd to go see the films. Both have some sort of formula to the stories as well. But by the end of the 40 Year Old Virgin, I think I found overall it was more satisfying than 'Crashers'. Although one can guess where the relationship story with Steve Carrell's character Andy and Catherine Keener's character Trish will go to, it isn't too basic for one to figure out like with Crashers, and the characters both leading and supporting are realistic, more rounded than most of the one-dimensional or unexplained people in the other. And, perhaps, it may also depend on how much you identify (or just find the lunacy) in both.

The thing is some people may go into The 40 Year Old Virgin not knowing Steve Carrell as well as Owen Wilson or Vince Vaughn, as Carrell has built up his cult status on The Daily Show (one of my favorite shows on now) and in small but unforgettably riotous roles in Anchorman and Bruce Almighty. This is his first starring role, but it's not treated like some third rate vehicle. He and co-writer/director Judd Apatow treat the character of Andy with a certain level of sincerity that keeps the audience on his side all the way, even early on as he talks to his action figures while re-painting them. It's also a tricky line to walk on- in lessor hands this could be no more or less entertaining than the Lackluster 40 Days and 40 Nights with Josh Hartnett (also about sexual dysfunction). As the title suggests, Andy is the 40 year old who is like the nice guy friend with still a little Pee-Wee Herman in him (the opening over the credits of his his apartment is hilarious, a good sign).

So, his friends (among them Paul Rudd, Romany Mancoy, Seth Rogen, all very good comic foils) try and devise different strategies and tips to finally break the sort of curse over Andy's head to pop his cherry, so to speak. He almost gets with a overly drunk woman, he almost gets with a freaky kind of girl, and almost with his own boss (Jane Lynch, also very funny in the mockumentaries) as a (explitive) buddy. But this soon all starts to fade as he gets into a meaningful relationship with Trish, who works across the street from him. As they build on a relationship not based at all on sex, one might worry that the plot gear of "how is he going to tell her such and such" might get in the way of the comedy. It doesn't. In fact, if anything, Carrell and the cast build on it to a very high degree. For practically an hour and a half of the film's two hour length, there was barely a moment I wasn't laughing, whether big or small.

The big laughs though make up for not just any kind of formalities with the plot, or one or two little stray stories (the fellow co-workers have their own relationship problems as well, Rudd's being the funniest). The big laughs come through because of Carrell's reactions, and that the people around him can either back up with their own sort of humor/charm, or that its with some truth. Keener gives a very good performance and makes it so that there is a genuine spirit to their relationship (and, un-like 'Crashers', there isn't as much that doesn't make sense character wise). For someone like me who loves it when a comedian can get laughs just from the way he looks on his face, Carrell gets very high points here. And like with a Farrelly brothers movie, the more raunchy or outrageous scenes are done with total absurdity; the 'waxing' scene (which was done for real, by the way) and the sort of Aquarius musical number towards the very end of the film (the way it comes out at first is a total, uproarious surprise). But if you're willing not to get offended by it, there's more where that came from. This is one of the funniest films of the year.
111 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best comedy I've seen in years
howismyfish22 August 2005
Steve Carell comes into his own in his first starring role in the 40 Year Old Virgin, having only had supporting roles in such films as Bewitched, Bruce Almighty, Anchorman, and his work on the Daily Show, we had only gotten a small taste of the comedy that Carell truly makes his own. You can tell that Will Ferrell influenced his "comedic air" but Carell takes it to another level, everything he does is innocent, lovable, and hilarious. I would not hesitate to say that Steve Carell is one of the next great comedians of our time.

The 40 Year Old Virgin is two hours of non-stop laughs (or 4 hours if you see it twice like I did), a perfect supporting cast and great leads charm the audience through the entire movie. The script was perfect with so many great lines that you will want to see the movie again just to try to remember them all. The music fit the tone of the movie great, and you can tell the director knew what he was doing.

Filled with sex jokes, some nudity, and a lot of language, this movie isn't for everyone but if you liked the Wedding Crashers, Anchorman, or any movie along those lines, you will absolutely love The 40 Year Old Virgin.
113 out of 184 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Modern Definition of "Serious Comedy"
metalrules316 July 2008
I'm not quite sure if the term "serious comedy" applies to this movie, Im not even sure if this can be applied. On the last few years movie theaters have become filled with comedy movies which are way too stupid to even make us grin. Therefore, I considered the movies which do not fill these requirements as "serious comedies".

Does The 40 Year Old Virgin fit into this guild? That is finally up to you, but in my opinion, this is a very funny movie. You get to laugh a lot, plus it delivers a social commentary through some really great characters and situations.

I'm pretty there is more than one 40 year old virgin out there, and even the people whom do not exactly fit this specifications, may feel identified by one of the characters in the movie, especially men.

The story, as the title says it, is about Andy, a shy, silent guy, whom collects action figures, watches Survivor with his octogenarian neighbors and whose favorite band is Asia.

Kal is Andy's co-worker at SmartTech. He believes Andy to be a psychopath until Andy's secret is revealed. Kal is clearly a sexual pervert but yet he seems to get what he wants with the opposite genre.

David is the passionate guy who is still in love with his ex-girlfriend, whom ran away with another guy. And Jay, a man in a relationship which seems to be affected by his continuous cheating and getting caught acts.

I'm pretty sure most youngsters from 13 to 21 have already watched this film, but it really does not have an age limit to be able to enjoy it. So in case you haven't seen it and will enjoy a little laugh, with social commentary, than go to your video store and rest from those deep and depressing independent films.

It also includes DVD bonuses which you'll really see from top to bottom.
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Prepare to blush as much as you laugh
TheMovieMark18 August 2005
All right, here's the deal: if you're easily offended then you might want to stay far, far away from this one. There are some painfully funny moments in the movie, but I probably blushed about as much as I laughed. Actually, I probably blushed MORE than I laughed. And if I wasn't literally blushing on the outside, then I was blushing on the inside. If there is absolutely nothing in this movie that embarrasses you then you simply have no shame. Whether that's a badge of honor or not is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

I will not deny that I laughed quite a bit, but this is a movie that I simply cannot give a blanket recommendation due to its subject matter. If I were to say, "This movie is hilarious, go check it out!" and some sweet, little old church-going lady heads to the theater and has a heart-attack during one of the graphically explicit sex situations, well, that's just something I don't need on my conscience.

So how raunchy is it? Hmm, try about 100 times worse than The Wedding Crashers. Honestly. My mom would've walked out during the first scene. I feel it's my duty to at least warn you of what to expect.

There is some cleverly intelligent comedy here, but that's what I come to expect from the man (Judd Apatow) who had a hand in both Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared. I'm all for making fun of Michael McDonald; the only man whose hair and beard are white enough to give Kenny Rogers a run for his money. Paul Rudd proclaiming, "If I hear Ya Mo Be There one more time I'll Ya Mo burn this place down," is hilarious, but it's one of those things that the majority of the audience won't appreciate.

And when we see a quick 3-second flashback of Steve Carrell singing along to Cameo's Word Up, I laughed for a good two minutes after the joke was over, whereas most everybody chuckled and then forgot about it.

Strangely enough, despite the raunch, there's an admirable moral to the story. The movie doesn't portray Carrell as some freaky loser just because he's a virgin. He's really portrayed as a likable, admirable character. Sure, he's a little weird. After all, he has a framed Asia poster, "more videogames than an Asian kid," and a toy collection that features the Million Dollar Man's BOSS, but we're never led to believe that there's actually anything wrong with the fact that he's a virgin. As odd as it may seem, there's a bit of an "it's OK to wait" message.

But man, oh man, please be warned that this pushes its R rating about as far as it can go. That was certainly Apatow's intention. According to him, he just let some of the guys (particularly Rogen and Malco) improv and talk the way they normally talk, all in an effort to find lots of new ways to be dirty. If you can handle that or talk that way yourself, then you'll love the movie.

I'm not a big fan of excessive profanity and sex jokes. I find that subtle, clever humor is much more entertaining than about 200 uses of the f-word or fratboy sex discussions. But that's me. Like I said, there are some absolutely hysterical moments here, but you have to ask yourself if they're worth sitting through one of the most vulgar movies you're likely to ever see at the theater. I just don't know how interested most women will be in what's discussed by men while playing poker. Honestly ladies, you might not want to know. If you've ever been curious why some girls think guys are gross, well, this gives you a good idea.

There you go - my humble, honest take on what to expect. Be that your guide. It definitely should not be seen with your Sunday School class, mama, grandmama, any family members of the opposite sex, children of any age, or anybody who is easily offended by excessive profanity or explicit sex discussion. If you'd see it with any of the above then you apparently do not have any concept of what it means to be uncomfortable.
171 out of 315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
40 Year-Old Virgin: There Is A First Time for Everything.....!
KissEnglishPasto2 August 2016
........................................................from Pasto,Colombia...Via: L.A. CA., CALI, COLOMBIA and ORLANDO, FL

As often occurs in Hollywood, Movies are made where the main idea seems to be so good, so foolproof, that you react by saying, "Damn, what a hell of a great premise for a movie…No WAY they can screw THAT up!" Unfortunately, where there's a will, there's a Way, and, consequently, sometimes even the best of concepts results in a five-alarm disastrous of a film... Thank God that, The 40 Year Old Virgin, is a case of "The Exception Proves the Rule!" And this, despite the fact that Universal seemed to do just about everything possible to spoil Virgin, it is definitely worth watching, at least once!

In the title role we have the comedy sensation of recent years, Steve Carell, who entered the Comedy Stratosphere with Bruce Almighty. (Where Mr. Carell was Jim Carey's TV weatherman competition…Remember that now famous scene where Carell's character is trying to break some important news, but all he can manage to get out is a series of weird grunts, groans and assorted sounds!)

It seems that, Carrell, who really WAS around 40 at the time ALMIGHTY was made, attained great comic success relatively late in life…But, of course, much better late…..! One of Virgin's excesses is that every time the film reaches a rather difficult stretch, it appears that Director, Tom Shadyac (Liar, Liar) places too much responsibility on the shoulders of his leading man, who, despite his great and varied talents, sometimes can't help showing just how much of a struggle it is to carry the film forward.

Another example where VIRGIN is a bit over-the-top, regards the unrelenting profanity in the dialog! If any of you non-native speakers out there were not familiar with some of these words in English, during each viewing, you'll get to practice them at least a hundred times! At some point, it just stops being funny for everyone in the audience. Also, there is simply too much information about too many sexual acts and other kinky incidentals that might have provoked laughter the first, second, or even a bit the third time, but with the umpteenth reference ends up being downright nauseating.

With a run-time of nearly two hours, I think that Virgin would have been even more enjoyable with at least 5 to 10 minutes of strategic editing. But, despite the flaws mentioned here, there are a number of scenes that produce industrial-size laughter, which readily justify the time you invest watching! Also, Virgin demonstrates more than enough originality, both in general concept and in how it has been brought to the screen.

It is well worth mentioning co-star, Catherine Keener (The Interpreter, Being John Malkovich), certainly, a very underrated actress in Hollywood. She plays the competition for love interest to perfection, giving the film a much needed touch of realism and credibility. So here is an interesting and fun film that will probably feel good to both men and women alike! There is almost nothing visually graphic in Virgin, but because of its non-stop hardcore locker room language, I would recommend it for those at least 15, or over, in your family.

No matter if you lost yours at 12 or at 40… or even if you still are...Virgin makes us ALL laugh about an integral component of the human condition, one with which each and every one of us can probably relate to!

7*....ENJOY!/DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English o en Español, are welcome!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The funniest comedy since "THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY" ; Steve Carell is a comic genius - the year's funniest film!
george.schmidt22 August 2005
THE 40 YEAR-OLD VIRGIN (2005) **** Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd, Romany Malco, Seth Rogen, Elizabeth Banks, Leslie Mann, Jane Lynch, Gerry Bednob, Shelley Malil, Kat Dennings. Hysterically funny high-concept comedy about the titular Andy Stitzer (wonderfully played by perennial second banana Carell in a truly extraordinarily comic breakthrough performance sure to stratosphere him to the A-list), a tech services rep for an electronics store in Southern California who is found out about his secretive identity by a trio of well-meaning yet entirely clueless womanizing co-worker buddies (Rudd, Malco & Rogen, each one degree funnier than the next) determined to get their friend deflowered no matter the cost. What follows is an unlikely yet very warm-hearted romance with a vivacious mother (the marvelous Keener having lots of fun here) leading to add more fuel to the fires within Andy. A surprisingly good-spirited and unapologetically raunchy romantic comedy; the funniest since "There's Something About Mary" with a shrewdly observant script by director Judd Apatow and Carell that features some astoundingly gut-busting sequences including a scathingly accurate David Caruso joke, homophobic debunking ribbing, send-ups of 'date-a-paloozas' and demystifying the war of the sexes with cheeky aplomb. A true winner and an instant classic; the funniest film of the year.
67 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pleasantly surprising (not to mention fantastically vulgar)
Liz (peachyfoo)27 July 2005
I was really surprised with this movie. Going in to the sneak preview, knowing nothing about the movie except for the one trailer I'd seen, I thought it was going to be a Dude Where's My Car kind of crap fest. I was expecting bad sex jokes and farting and a pathetic lead character who will get laid in the end because that's just how movies work. Instead I got a smart, surprisingly original movie about a decent, average guy who just never had sex.

Yes, the film is chock full o' sex jokes and vulgarity and the occasional hey-look-a-nipple!, but it's done much in the spirit of Bad Santa rather than Sorority Boys. All the characters are people you probably know in real life, redeemable friends who are just trying to hook a brother up and live their lives.

I went in thinking this movie was going to be total crap, and I was very surprised. Yea, it's pretty over the top (c'mon, it's a movie about a 40 year old virgin!), but it's very smartly done.

In the end, you're really pulling for this guy to get laid, which says a lot about the movie because honestly, did you really care if Ashton Kutcher found his car or not?
39 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Remarkably unfunny and way too long
NetherStowey29 December 2005
Wow! This film is truly awful. I can't imagine how anyone could have read this badly written script and given it the greenlight. The cast is uniformly second rate with some truly horrendous performances from virtually all of the cast. The story is disjointed, fragmented and incoherent. The telling, leaden and predictable. No wit, no charm, no humour. Not sexy in the least. The characters remain as flat as the proverbial pancake. There's also a strong current of misogyny which became increasingly hard to stomach as the film went on. When your lead (Carrell) is unfunny and unappealing it's uphill from there. Despite it's phony turn-around ending where love triumphs over lust I was left with a sick feeling in my stomach. If this is what passes for humour and social comment then we're definitely doomed.
44 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Worst Movie I've Seen In A Long TIme!
kevin-mcnevin12 September 2005
I thought this movie would be funny knowing how funny Steve Catrell was in "Bruce Almighty" and his TV show "The Office" but I was sadly mistaken. No matter how good or funny an Actor is, it always starts with the writing, and the writing for this Movie was terrible! Steve wasn't funny and none of his very unlikable friends were funny. I'm no prude but the crass, vulgar, and just plain asinine sexual "jokes" ( and I use that term loosely) were ceaseless. Maybe if you're a 12 year old boy you might like the dim-witted so not-funny humor, but it was an absolute insult to anyone who has a hint of intelligence. Why people think that you have to be sexually filthy and crude in every sentence to be funny is beyond me. This Movie would be good at a Fraternity Party, or a Bachelor's Party, where everyone is so smashed they don't know the difference. Besides the complete lack of any real humor, the Actors and Actresses (ha ha) were very poor. I know Steve Catrell has talent, but it was definitely not reflected in this Movie.
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the dumbest comedies I've ever seen
davemcbride1237 September 2005
I admit that isn't a precursor for a bad film there have been plenty of no-brain comedies over the years that I thoroughly enjoyed. The main fault I'd have to find with this film is it's dreadful writing. It is terribly tired and formulaic i.e. shy guy seeks girl, friends give bad advice and embarrass shy guy, shy guy learns to be himself. None of the so called 'jokes' hit the mark notably any contributions from Andy's Indian/Pakistanii co-workers and his boss singing a Guatemalan serenade. WTF was that about? I suspect it was a cynical attempt by Steve Carrell and Judd Apatow to inject some Will Ferrell-style craziness into this terribly mundane comedy but it failed miserably and was just embarrassing. Anchorman was one of the best comedies in years. 40 Year Old Virgin highlights Ferrells considerable influence on that film.

The fact that so many people have enjoyed this utterly classless film has shocked me. I hated it. I encourage anyone who regard themselves as having reasonably discernible taste to challenge me on this.
21 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The worst movie I've ever seen
oldy71-12 September 2006
I saw this movie last night, and I have to say, I'm glad it was a loaned DVD that cost me nothing. Because it was woeful.

This was the unfunniest thing I've ever seen, even the liberal use of language couldn't save it. The characters were lame, the production values were cheap and nasty, and the whole thing was a chore.

I fought to stay to the end, but when the singing started and the movie lurched from plain garbage to patently absurd, it was time to go.

I could see where the guy was trying hard to rip Jim Carrey off, but he wasn't even close. No sense for comedy, staid and old-fashioned gags, a stereotypical view of what a virgin must be (of course, he's into comics and computer games and toy soldiers - gimme a break)

It's too late for me, but save yourselves. Seriously. Go see something like 8mm or Schindler's List for more laughs...
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Two hours wasted
mmcgown5 July 2006
It's hard to believe Universal would have invested money in this movie. Regrettably, I wasted two precious hours of my life on it. Lesson learned: don't bother with movies from Universal. Try to look for something from a studio with some redeeming social value.

Though there are some "funny" scenes here, if you are thinking only of your own c--k, there's really nothing here to keep your attention, assuming you have even a small brain. Otherwise, go for it. This is a great film for people who need to hear all the forbidden words shouted out in a large movie theater so they can laugh nervously about the things they would never say.

In the end, it's sad to see that Universal has had to stoop to such low depths to find a script/film worth releasing. Perhaps it's time they stopped trying.

PS--For those of you who thought this was a good/great/funny movie: you have a sad future in store for you.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I hated hated hated this movie!
clintcooper200316 September 2005
"The 40 Year Old Virgin" exists in a world I don't understand. A world where an electronics store employee can tell his boss to "f*** off" and broadcast videos of his naked ass throughout the store and not get reprimanded. A world where it's really funny to go drunk driving and smash into other peoples' cars. A world where it seems okay for a boss to sexually harass her underlings. A world full of raging and offensive stereotypes of ethnic minorities. And a world without any funny jokes! I am absolutely shocked at the seeming chorus of viewers who liked this movie. I thought every scene was like a bad Saturday Night Live sketch - not very funny to begin with, and stretched out beyond all rational thought. The chest-waxing scene went on FOREVER.

The characters, aside from Carell, were totally one-note. And the romantic elements were completely contrived, particularly the scene where Keener finds porn in Carell's apartment. That was just lame.

And I also found the "Aquarius" sequence totally annoying and excessive. I hated hated hated this movie!
36 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A sweet romance buried underneath "Man Show" style humor
calvinnme20 April 2013
If you liked "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" you will love this movie. In fact, it rejoins a couple of the supporting cast of that film, starring Steve Carrell, who played "Brick" who, in my opinion, stole that show with his clueless stares and inane ramblings.

In this film, Andy, the 40-year-old virgin, gets a lot of unwanted help from his male coworkers, who are all so completely dysfunctional that they really don't have any business trying to repair anyone else's private life. The fact that Andy also still rides a bicycle and is chided by his coworkers for that, too, just seems to emphasize that modern society has turned virginity into a stigma similar to not being able to pass a driving test. Instead of wanting to lose his virginity, though, what Andy really wants is a relationship with the nice woman running a store across the street from where he works. His virginity is just a byproduct of him not finding a good relationship with a woman yet. The resulting story is actually a rather sweet romance buried underneath all of the Man Show style humor.

It carries a rare message in modern film - that chastity before marriage is not a bad thing, and that everybody is running on their own schedule.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny for about 15 minutes of the entire movie.
headlands720 August 2005
I know this will be very unpopular, but I found this movie to be mostly unfunny, way too long, incredibly predictable, and very base. For anyone seeking humor that does not insult one's basic level of intelligence, this is not the movie for you. There ARE some hilarious scenes, but they are very brief and sandwiched in between big fat loaves of the most low-level frat/high school humor I've seen in a while. It doesn't involve you enough to really want to see what happens, also because it rambles on for about a half hour too long.

I'm a big fan of humor like old Woody Allen, The Office, Spinal Tap, and Airplane!, and this just wasn't inventive enough to hold my interest. Toilet humor does not require good writing, it just requires an audience who likes toilet humor. I'm cool with people liking it, but it does nothing for me, personally. Occasionally a bit of random, absurd humor would pop in, which was good, but it was mostly relying on cheap humor tricks that got old after the first 15 minutes, for me.

Also, I don't mind people swearing at all, but after a while, I actually got bored of hearing it so freaking much.

Sorry, two thumbs down here.
40 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better Late Than Never.
Jessica Carvalho16 May 2006
''The 40 Year Old Virgin'''made me laugh a lot. I don't care if it is considered to be a very sexual comedy, I just enjoyed many of the jokes and scenes present in this movie. Steve Carell is perfect as the virgin nerd Andy Stitzer and I think the scene where Andy has his chest hair removed by wax one of the coolest, specially because it is real. Many of the actors and actresses present in this movie are well known or already famous,by the way.

Andy Stitzer has a peaceful life. He is a little bit strange and collects lots of toys, but seems harmless. One day, while playing poker with his friends of his work, they discover that Andy is in fact...virgin! And he is already 40 years old! After this surprising revelation, all his friends are trying to make Andy sleep with a woman...the problem is the confusions in which Andy gets in,specially now that he is really starting to like Trish, a woman he met when she was buying a DVD player in the store he works at.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unbelievably bad
SLR-331 August 2005
This has not been a good summer for movies, but this was THE worst - yes, even worse than "Bewitched".

Three of us went: two men, one woman (that would be me). About twenty five minutes into the film both of the guys wanted to leave. I gave it five more minutes and then I, too, gave up. In seven years of movie-going together this is the first time we walked out on a film (we even stayed to the end of "The Avengers") Why? Because it wasn't even remotely funny. The first five minutes are fine. The character of Andy seems likable and the camera work is quite good. We chuckled. Then the whole thing went downhill. These guys are unbelievable. No one acts like that and even if they did no one would be laughing at them. Tell me what's funny about a bunch of guys pissing in public? What's funny about a fellow being such a bad lover he gives the girl a whack in the nose resulting in a nosebleed? Had I gone to the film alone I'd have figured it was a guy thing - you know, like the Three Stooges. But the guys I was with couldn't believe that anybody would give high marks to this one. We all voted it a ONE. Would have been ZERO but that wasn't a choice.
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Forty Year Old Turkey
casparus5012 January 2006
Insufferably and embarrassingly poor on practically every conceivable level. The inept acting, scripting, pacing, continuity, and direction are as bad as anything I've ever seen. The plot meanders almost from the outset suffering from non-sequitur dialogue and situations, with any attempts at humor being as sophomoric as anything in the history of cinema . There are endless topics of discussion and mis-fire situations that seem to pop in from nowhere and leave to nowhere.

Foul-mouthed East Indians maybe amusing initially-only because that type of behaviour doesn't fit the stereotype, but they become tiresome quickly--especially when seen throughout the entire picture.

However, after seeing a startingly high number of very positive reviews it has received--even from reputable film critics--I am somewhat disturbed by how the evaluation standards of filmaking apparently now isn't anything at all like how I think it has been, or close to what it should be. Will we now be innudated with a deluge similarly wretchedly produced films such as these? The prospect is frightening, if not unthinkable.
30 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this