IMDb > The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The 40 Year Old Virgin

The 40-Year-Old Virgin More at IMDbPro »The 40 Year Old Virgin (original title)

Page 11 of 55: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

The 40 Year Old Virgin

Author: cultfilmfan from Canada
23 August 2005

The 40 Year Old Virgin, is about Andy Stitzer, a forty year old man who works in an electronic store and doesn't have much of a social life and is very awkward around women. Some of his co-workers at the store invite him out one night and they discover that Andy, is still a virgin so they plan to help him lose his virginity. One day in the store Andy, meets a woman named Trish, who gives him her phone number and eventually Andy, works up enough courage to go on a date with her and they start to really like each other but Andy, is still very awkward when it comes to sex and he is going to have to tell this to Trish, much to his embarrassment if he can actually get up enough courage to tell her before things get awkward. The 40 Year Old Virgin, has good direction, a good script, good comedic performances by the whole cast, good cinematography and good film editing. The film stars and is co-written by Steve Carell, who does a very good comedic breakthrough performance and his writing for the film is very good too. I was very pleasantly surprised with this film. It is sweet, funny, entertaining, fun, enjoyable, clever, good natured and a good time. This film is just as good as this year's Wedding Crashers, and both films are two of the best comedies I have seen in awhile. The 40 Year Old Virgin, really showcases a lot of talent and it is put to good use and it works as a comedy and a romance and it is sweet and a lot of fun. One of the biggest surprises and one of the best comedies of the year.

SO FUNNY MY SIDES HURT from the ride to the theater because we had to cram four people in the back of a civic and the arm rest dug into my ribs

Author: jayfull2003 from United States
23 August 2005

Well let me just say something about these actors, they really were a good decision, and from experience, having actors really brings the dialogue to life. If you walk into this even fifteen minutes late, you'll be in for a shock, the movie will have already began. You don't want to miss the first few jokes, assuming you came to not miss any jokes.

Wow! I have never seen a movie that ended with such a final ending. Not to be harsh, I mean I loved it, but it just surprised me that it really kept going until it stopped! But i'm getting ahead of myself, lets start with the very start of it, when it began. The plot outline goes like this, there is this man, and not to give away any spoilers, (*Spoiler Alert!!*) (he hasn't had any sex ever(!) they use this plot device to set the story moving, and there are (intentionally or not, it could go either way) some funny situations had by the main characters, some containing irony, and jokes, and awkward situations, you know.

The director uses the advancements in technology by combining the film shot on the set and scripted dialog, some music, and jokes to make a funny movie, designed as a comedy, where he takes us on a journey from the opening credits to the end with an entirely full movie in between. I went into this movie expecting to see a funny comedy because of what I already knew about it, and left feeling as though i had just left a theater that just played a funny comedy. TEN STARS!!!

I went with High Expectations... and they were SURPASSED! Tremendously!

Author: David (octagon88) from Az
21 August 2005

Steve Carrel Proves himself to be a great leading man in this wonderful, original, raunchy breath of fresh air. I about wet myself at how geniusly hilarious it was.

Basically the movie's title says it all: Andy Stitzer is a 40 Year- Old Male who works at an electronics store. He is a bit of a nerd who loves videogames and Comics, and has the biggest collection. His Peers that work in the store with him find out that he's a Virgin during a rather sex dialogue filled poker game, and then Andy has to go through a rather funny as hell Odyessy of rude sexual awakenings, but always screwing up which leads to him not losing his virginity, but he eventually gets lucky in the very end.

Leave the little ones at home, But Take the entire family to see This awesome Romantic Adult Comedy. It will have you hooked and cracking up from the very beginning, and by the time it is over, you will be wishing you wore your extra thick absorbent undergarments. Only other thing I can say about it is Too bad Steve Carrel wasn't recognized as a leaving man 20 years ago. He is definitely gonna win best breakthrough male performance in next years MTV movie Awards. You can bet your hard earned dollar on that, people!

I Give this one a perfect 10!

This is the Dawning of the Age of Carell

Author: hurumble from Lewiston, Maine
20 August 2005

From the very beginning I was so excited to see this movie. The poster is possibly the funniest I've ever seen for a movie. I immediately bought one for my dorm this September.

Every element came together in this movie so beautifully. It's not often you see a movie with so many penis, gay, and racial jokes so praised by critics. Carell and the rest of the cast deliver each raunchy joke sensationally. Carell remains sweet throughout the entire movie where by the end of the movie you're rooting for him to succeed in his relationship more than you are for him to get laid. The supporting cast is brutal, each of them having some problems with the ladies themselves.

One of the things about this movie is the abundance of memorable scenes we're given. This is what makes a movie easy to remember fondly. This movie will often be brought up when the words "chest waxing" and "condoms" are mentioned in conversation.

Watching it in the theater I was surprised how many older people were there to watch it. I saw a group of four mid-60s women come in. Despite an older audience, this movie still filled the entire theater with laughter.

I think the type of people who will like this are the fans of the Office and Steve Carell. A lot of the jokes remind me of the type of jokes you'd see on Family Guy, too. The movie is shallow enough for adolescent boys and still sweet and clever enough for middle aged women.

I don't recommend going to this movie if you aren't a fan of profanity or if you are easily offended. However, when you are at the movie, just remember this movie is all in good humor. The jokes aren't "gay jokes," they're just jokes. And they're funny.

Pretty Good movie

Author: aclaus225-2 from United States
19 August 2005

This movie was one of the best movies that I have seen this year. I didn't see any cameos in the movie, but it is still pretty good. It is similar to Anchorman in the humor department, but I think this is a better put together movie. It actually has a point. If you are going to see a whole bunch of T&A you will be disappointed. Just a well put together movie!!!! If you have nothing to do for the day or you need a lot of humor, you will find this to be a really good movie. I definitely think that Ebert and Roeper's review of this movie is right on. I mean, I don't really like Ebert on most movies, but this is the movie that I will agree about. The movie contains a good enough story that it is actually believable that these type of people are out there. There is definitely something to be said about how they treat virginity in this movie. Yea, sure, you get laughed at when it is found out about, but it still suggests that you wait. Steve did a wonderful job of portraying the person that he did in this movie and yet, it is still funny.

This Movie Tried Too Hard To Be Funny!

Author: leighabc123 from Portsmouth, Virginia
19 June 2009

This movie was raw, stupid, and foul. A 40 year old virgin who finally gets married to a "grandmother" at the end of the movie and loses his virginity. But before this happened, there was some crazy plots throughout the movie. The man is 40 and still rides a bike and has action figures! He kicked a lady in the nose when she sucks on his toes. He goes out and the drunk lady throws up on him while she is driving. He actually dates a drag queen. He was about to have sex with his future wife until his wife's daughter and the teenage boyfriend walks in. His wife's daughter hated him until she found out that he was a virgin. Make sure you see the deleted scenes from this movie. It will help you understand the plot better.

Wow! The funniest movie of the 2000's.

Author: jaysilentbob37 from United States
9 February 2006

This movie is funny. This movie is very funny. In fact, this movie is so funny, that it would break the most intelligent computer that tried to count exactly how many HUGE laughs were in it. Steve Carell stole a major scene in Bruce Almighty, played a hilariously random retard in Anchorman, and now, he finally gets a big break in The 40 Year Old Virgin, which recently beat Wedding Crashers as what I consider the funniest comedy of the 2000's.

You can guess what the movie's about. Andy is 40, and he's a virgin. He has a major toy collection, a good job, and is just an all-out nice guy. He's just so hopelessly nerdy, that he has never succeeded with girls. When his friends find out about his celibate life, they set out to help him lose his virginity. They recommend that he hit on the most drunk woman he can find, but Andy doesn't think it's right. He sets his sights on a single mother, Trish, and when they start going out, Andy's friends are proud that he's going to finally do it. But Andy doesn't care about sex. He and Trish form a no-sex policy.

This movie while fall-down, flat-out hysterical has it's share of drama. It's actually got a good message, that says you can wait to have sex for as long as you think is necessary. There are some fairly serious moments. The trailers make it look like a dumb, vulgar, and random sex- comedy. But it's not dumb. It's actually so intelligent, that some people may not find it funny. But I sure did. The waxing scene, and the poker game are my favorites. Also, this movie is FILTHY. Sex dominates every scene, and even when it's not actually happening, it's being discussed in the most graphic terms imaginable. The profanity is non-stop as well. It was however to see some good R rated comedies lately, and I hope for more to come. This movie was so funny, it's hard to believe a movie can actually be this funny. 10/10.

It is rated R for Pervasive Sexual Content, Language, and some Drug Use. Sex: 10/10 Violence: 3/10 Swearing: 10/10 Drugs: 5/10.

Virgin Suicides or 40 Years of the Lowest Common Denominator

Author: piXelpiXelpiXel from USA
29 October 2006

I am reminded of that old punk song "..I'd rather cut my wrists and slash my throat, than spend the night with you..." I am begging you not to see this.

I did not laugh even once. And after all the hype and positive reviews, I am truly dumbfounded. Look, I like Beavis & Butthead as much as the next piXel, but I have a feeling I know what they might say about this. So do you.

If you are 18-25 and want some doody humor, get something good like early John Waters. As for the "sex comedy" aspect, stick to "Green Acres." This has to be some kind of calculated lowest common denominator appeal to the most amount of willingly wasted cash. More "sack on chin" humor? Why? As for the story, you'd have to suspend your disbelief in the value of your time and money to buy any of this nonsense.

Unless you want to fund future Carrell projects, and I have a feeling that would be a worthy cause, go elsewhere. Better yet, just send him the money directly and don't waste your time. He will be doing something much better than this I'm sure. I hope he brings his buddies from Ron Burgundy along, i.e., Messrs. "Whammy," and "Sex Panther." Now that was a stupid movie, but it was also 9/10 hilarious watch it over & over funny. If you liked that, you'll hate this.

Howwever, I thought Elizabeth Banks was very good. There was some sex appeal going on there, no doubt. Plus, her character seemed pretty real to me. I might've been married to her once. I liked Romany Malco too.

Still, it didn't gel. Maybe its me. But if you are reading this because you can't believe what you just saw, you are not alone.

Here's a plot question that does not contain a spoiler: why didn't the kindly, old couple upstairs neglect to "get it on" to Barry White or something? Now THAT might've been funny.

Run, don't walk away from this delight.

The funniest film of the summer!

Author: Boggman from Laguna Hills, CA
23 August 2005

"The 40yr Old Virgin" emerges not only as 2005's best summer comedy, but probably the best comedy of the year! This is one crowd pleasing, feel good movie that starts off with a laugh, and ends with one too. Steve Carell does a magnificent job of bringing Andy Stitzer to life. Whether YOUR a virgin or not, there is a little bit of Andy in all of us. Andy is a great comedic triumph for Carrell, considering it's such a departure from his shovanistic ego-centric Michael on the NBS hit comedy "The Office".

The plot is simple: 3 of Andy's coworkers find out over a game of poker and some sex swapping stories that Andy is a virgin and set out to make a man out of him once and for all! Nuff said.

What ensues is Andy learning the masterful art of picking up woman, making friends (which he doesn't seem to have to many of), dealing with the fact that everyone at work knows about his non existent sex life, and learning to fall in love.

This movie has so many laughs it would be a shame to list them here. The chest/waxing scene emerges as pretty darn funny- and there is a lot more to it than what you get on the commercial previews. This is also a great buddy movie that paints an honest/relatable portrait of friends, new romances, and workplace relationships. It's just a funny frieken movie all the way around!! This film is a masterpiece. It really is. You definitely will laugh your A*S off!! Worth the price of admission and more! Forget the rest of this summer's "so called" comedies because "The 40yr Old Virgin" trounces them all!!! VERY HIGHLY Recommended!

Dumb film for a dumb audience

Author: lukeneave from United Kingdom
31 January 2008

At least with the teenage geek gets the girl films, the guy is usually unpopular with girls. In the 40 Year Old Virgin he is replaced with a 40 year old guy who is popular with women but somehow has remained a virgin. But then you are not supposed to engage your brain with this film or did I miss the bit about him being comatose for 20 years?

One of a series of films where 40 somethings act like teenagers and women for some reason find this a sufficiently attractive quality that they want a serious relationship with them. I find it hard to understand how a country that has produced such excellent TV comedies seems to think it has to rely on crude and shallow characters for laughs. They've done the gross out movies. They've done the let's act like all Americans have a mental age of 15. Where will they go next?

This film is crass and crude entertainment with nothing to recommend it.