IMDb > Sky High (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sky High

Sky High More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Low Expectations Proved Wrong!

Author: kitcatcher from United States
27 July 2005

I got to go see Sky High at a free preview last night. When I saw the commercials, I wrote this movie off immediately. It looked like a strictly-for-kids, stupid-but-cute, teeny-bopper funfest. Blech!

I was pleasantly surprised! I love going into a movie like this with low expectations and being proved wrong. I am a hardcore comics fan ("weenie" I believe the earlier reviewer said) and I still found a lot to like here.

The movie has a better take on what a superhero world would actually be like than many "serious" movies. It was almost like a kids version of the "Astro City" comic book.

The jokes really made Sky High for me! I wont spoil any for you but I will point out that the cast included Bruce Campbell, Kevin McDonnell, Dave Foley and Lynda Carter!

If you're a comics fan, go see it! If you've got kids and want to have a fun evening, go see it!

I am kinda hoping that this becomes Disney's next live-action series.

Author: jwhitus from Dallas, Texas
25 July 2005

I saw "Sky High" at a preview screening tonight, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised! A lot of laughs for kids and grownups, a couple of good plot twists, and a nice message for the youngsters. Kurt Russell steals the show as an over-the-top super hero, who wants nothing more than for his son to follow in the family business. Kelly Preston looks amazing as his flying super hero wife. A great group of kids play the Sky High students, with cool effects to help them into their roles... and some nice parables about life in high school. I expected lots of eye rolling and lame super hero humor... but there was no lameness, no eye rolls, but plenty of good laughs and sweet moments. Parents, feel free to go with your kids to this one!

Could be a sleeper!

Author: Joejoesan from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
28 July 2005

I think Disney misfired with the very poor The Pacifier and had higher expectations from the Herbie movie. But they'll do surprisingly well with this kids flick, I think. Perhaps we even have a sleeper here.

When I saw the Sky High trailer I thought I was going to see the next installment of Spy Kids. Okay, there are a lot of crazy special effects in this movie, but the story is actually driven by the nice performances by almost all the actors instead of lots of SFX.

The film is about young Will Stronghold (charming performance by Michael Angarano), son of the two most popular and successful superheroes in the world, The Commander (Kurt Russell) and Jetstream (Kelly Preston). Will is about to go to Sky High, a school especially founded for superheroes, but there's one problem: he doesn't own any superpower. Instead of being a superhero, his highest goal seems to be the one of sidekick. So how can he survive at school being the son of the world most famous super duo? And how will his parents react when they hear the bad news?

Sky High is a very entertaining family movie with lots of good hearted humor. Early in the movie Bruce Campbell (oh yeah!) steals the show as (ex-hero, now teacher) Sonic Boomer, who has a 'Sorting Hat' scene in which he determines which student will go to hero class and which ones will study for sidekick. Kurt Russell gives a great tongue-in-cheek performance as proud daddy who thinks it's great that his son defeats all the bullies at school but has to condemn it in front of his wife. And that's the opinion of a someone who isn't actually a fan of the actor himself. The original little ideas dry out after the first half of the movie, but who said that all family movies should have Oscar power?

Sky High is a movie about friendship, falling in love with the wrong girl, falling in love with the right girl and trying to succeed in your parents footsteps. Very entertaining for the kids, and some nice laughs for parents too (during the Sidekick lessons given by ex-All American Boy for instance: lots a references to the Robin from the Batman TV-series). Great 80's soundtrack as well, with covers from songs by The Smiths, Talking Heads, Tears for Fears and even Till Tuesday and Modern English.

Great for all ages!

Author: angelgem9 from United States
26 July 2005

I saw the advance screening of this movie last night and I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised! I went into this movie expecting a cheesy kiddy movie and ended up spending the next hour and a half being seriously entertained. The story is about a group of freshmen in their first few months at a super hero high school named "Sky High." There are all the familiar struggles of high school, such as fitting in, finding a date, and choosing between the friends you have known and loved your whole life and the new popular crowd. These high school newbies have the additional dilemma of learning to use their powers and live up to the reputations that their parents have established as super heroes. The movie is sweet without sending the viewers into a diabetic coma, and has a great message. The theater I was in was also full of little ones, who I never heard a peep out of! The movie is a great treat for the entire family and will make a great break from the heat or a rainy day activity!

A lot better than I would have thought.

Author: beenafleck from United States
28 July 2005

This has the makings of a completely unoriginal hour and a half: super-hero's, high school, special effects. Much to my surprise, it's funny, well acted, and original. Apparently, this movie was in production before the Incredibles was released. It's not a result of the success.

As someone who grew up during the Love Bug, Benji era of Disney live action kids movies, it's a nice change of pace.

It was well worth the time and $. A family movie without a lot of violence, language, or sexual "near misses".

Who'd a thunk it!

Surprise, surprise

Author: David Haney from North Carolina
31 July 2005

Well, I must say that this movie was surprisingly good for it being a Disney Kid Movie. Now it won't win any Oscars, but it really kept up the Disney Tradition for being a clean and fun film. It was wonderful to see Kurt Russell on the screen again with Disney. The acting, again, not an Oscar performance out of anyone, was clean and sincere, very believable. The sets and special effects were, well, good. The diversity and conflict between students of the school, once again... good. There were some very witty and dry remarks about high school life as well. Good writing. I say the most surprising thing about this film was that it was just plain old fun! It had the patrons laughing as well as I. My 7 year old and my 3 year old loved it and it was still adult enough with a strong enough plot to keep the parents interested as well. All in all, it made for a fun afternoon.

Great Movie

Author: astrohmeyer from United States
26 July 2005

This movie was awesome. I went with two other adults & we all enjoyed it. There were tons of young kids there & in typical Disney style lots of fun things the adults understood, but the kids didn't (like who the principal was in our youth)! The kids around me seemed to enjoy it, along with the adults. If you are looking for an action movie, this is not it, if you're looking for mystery & intrigue this is not it, if you're looking for amazing cinematography, not it, but if you're looking for a fun movie to go to with your family, this is the movie to go see. I got to go for free, but would definitely pay to go see it again!

Harry Potter meets the Incredibles.

Author: delsol-1 from United States
29 July 2005

I remember the days when I was a kid and loved Disney comedies. Son of Flubber, The Shaggy Dog, etc. Then there was the classic period after I got a little older with Kurt Russell Disney movies. Well those days are back and you can even take your kids. It is PG rather than the G of the old stuff but that is only because of violence and that violence is directed mostly at property. The characters are not killed or injured. (A lot better than the Bad News Bears which the theater had warnings up about being a STRONG PG 13). Anyway Kurt Russell is so campy in this one and (what a shock) so is Bruce Campbell. The plot and theme borrow a lot from the Incredibles (which is a good thing because I liked it the best of Pixar's flicks) Also you might think Hogwarts when you see the classes except the high school floats in the sky and rather than potions and avoiding the dark forces the student learn how to be superhero sidekicks and how to build ray guns in science class. Won't go any further on that except to say that those scenes are a hoot. Anyway the good guys win, the bad guys lose, the hero is taught lessons about life and everyone gets a laugh a minute as it all comes about.

Great idea carried out well

Author: thisisshe ( from United States
29 July 2005

Kurt Russell went back to his Disney roots with Sky High, a fresh take on the superhero craze. The story revolves around Will Stronghold( Michael Angarano) who is the kid of two superhero parents, The Commander( Kurt Russell) and Jetstream( Kelly Preston). Will is off to be a freshman at his dad's alma mater- Sky High, a school for superheroes where they can find their powers and learn how to use them. High school angst is then thrown into the mix as Will and his new group of friends, headed up by the typical girl best friend Layla( Danielle Panabaker), are told they don't fit the superhero mold and become sidekicks, otherwise known as the losers of the school.

I loved the idea of this movie and the people in it seemed to be having a great time. The roles were cast perfectly and it was easy to believe everyone. A few favorites were Warren Peace( Steven Strait), Layla and Zach( Nicholas Braun). Sure the plot was a tad predictable, both in the superhero plot and in the teen drama area but because of the setting and the mix it made it still worth seeing. Also, anything that has Bruce Campbell, who plays Coach Boomer, is automatically quirky enough to be given a chance. Of course the world ends up in danger and the underdogs must fight to save it, but for once I wasn't upset that I knew it all.

Disney needed a hit as the past few movies it's put out that were live action failed to do much. I think Sky High is it. Action for the boys, cute boys and drama for the girls and Kurt Russell for the moms- great family movie. All I can end with is I can't wait for it to come out on video.

Sky High -- most definitely!!!

Author: Nancy Bergman from United States
27 July 2005

I attended a screening of this movie last night and I must say this is the only comic book film I have seen in a long time that I immediately want to see again. I was there with a row of press and was invited to bring my kids, seeing as I do't have any I took my nephew. This boy is all over the place most of the time, but he was rivited when the movie started and when it ended he wanted toys, I don't think there are any. I spent time at a round session conducting interviews of the cast and I was lucky enough to run into the creator of Sky High, Paul Hernandez. Hernandez was surrounded by Latino press who were all hitting him with questions. I was about to leave when he stopped me and said jokingly "don't worry, I speak English too." We chatted about his attempt to set this up as a television series in 94 and how he left the production to work on Greatest American Hero at Disney, as well as Instant Karma for New Line, a film he is directing staring the Rock and Pierce Brosnan. With just the 10 min or so I spent with him, I could tell where the wit and vision of this film came from.

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]