IMDb > My Sassy Girl (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Sassy Girl

My Sassy Girl More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Please read my lip: WATCH THE ORIGINAL VERSION!!!

Author: hahm-1 from United States
1 April 2010

Nothing to say about this movie! Cannot be worse.

Just one comment! Please watch the original version! You will see how much super awesome original version can become the worst movie.

Just amazed by how really awesome movie can be worst one.

All the people I know who have watched this movie was horrified.

All the people I know who have watched the original movie was just amazed by it.

WAHTCH THE Original VERSION!!! You will appreciate my advice.

Bad remake

Author: wittsss from China
25 August 2008

Im a big fan of the original Korean version. This Hollywood remake is a total failure.

The screenplay is bad. The story is much less convincing than the original.

In the original version, the girl is heartbroken, whose fiancé was killed in a tragic accident, and was really sassy. This made her character inner conflicted. On one side, she was a vulnerable, heartbroken girl. She was so beautiful, so sweet, so sad, like a princess lost her prince. On the other side, she was a furious, sassy, horrible lady. She was mad at the God, at the life, and even at herself. According to the typical standard she was not a decent girl. But sometimes, as i said, she was so sweet.

In the meantime, her boy, the boy, was confused. He had on idea about the accident. The girl was just a sassy beautiful girl. Himself, was a lazy, yet naive boy. He takes what the life gave him. Hardworking was not in his book. One day a beautiful girl came into his life. He didn't even know what was going on. He didn't even like the girl at first.

In the days he was with the girl, he was silently changed by the girl. From a outsider to a hardworking, life-loving boy.

The remake, however, gave us a geek who has a glorious future b4 he met the girl. In less than half an hour, they seemed bonded so much because of no reason. and What happened next seems so fake. Too much acting but true feelings.

In order to avoid the spoilers, there are few details above about the remake one.

The only reason to watch the remake is to know how remarkable the Korean version is and how trash this remake could be.

May Hollywood Burn In Hell For All Eternity

Author: ebossert from United States
27 August 2008

Why does Hollywood feel the need to take classic non-American films and rape them until they're deformed beyond all recognition? It must be nice to make millions of dollars by doing nothing more than crapping on various works of art from other countries. I'm apparently in the wrong line of business.

First off, Jesse Bradford sounds like a weasel and gives a mediocre performance. Just watch his reaction after Elisha Cuthbert lies to his teacher – it's terrible. Cuthbert is your typical Hollywood actress under 30 years of age – very hot, but couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. Watching her try to be "sassy" is incredibly painful because at times her mannerisms are overly accentuated to the point where she looks like she's got a bad case of hemorrhoids. As far as supporting actors go, the guy who played the runaway soldier was dreadful, and the old man near the end was even worse. Ji-hyun Jun's performance in the original was no fluke. South Korea has at least 5 times as much youthful acting talent than the States. That's no exaggeration.

This is your typical Hollywood remake that reenacts a dozen or so scenes from the superior original in unimaginative, idiotic ways (ala "The Departed") in an effort to pander to the dim-wittedness and xenophobia of your typical American moviegoer who would rather slit their wrists than read subtitles. This is evident in the dialogue, which is way too cringeworthy for its own good. Every single line is opaque, thoughtless, and overly simplified to the point of sheer stupidity. Here are some direct quotes from the film:

1. "Death, man…death sucks!" 2. "I like you and the last three days have been some of the most interesting (if not painful) of my life. But my brain is hemorrhaging and my career is ruined and I just think it's better if we part ways." 3. "Who would be intrigued by a hot, mysterious, passionate, possibly bipolar, violent, drunken, arrogant, rude woman?" 4. "Whatever she was going through – it was beyond anything in my experience and beyond my ability to fix. I had no right to judge her. If I chose to stay with her (knowing the risks) all I could do was give her love and respect and see how the story would end." 5. "I'm sorry. He's just a guy my father made me go out with, but every second I was with him I was wishing it was you and that's why I called you tonight – I couldn't take it anymore. Charlie, I need you." 6. "Hey kid, is this a subway platform or your own piece of drawing paper?" 7. "You know what? I know that you really don't want to hurt me." 8. "Yessss, I'm free and I'm loving it. Train where are you. Wooo hooo. Choo choo."

Hollywood translation: "We resent your lack of intelligence, so we are apparently forced to lower the quality of this film by providing superfluous exposition on the part of the characters for the sole purpose of explaining every little thing to you. You are incapable of extracting emotional content from subtle mannerisms, symbolism, or even the slightest bit of indirect communication. Yes, you are a moron, but if we talentless hacks want to make money, we simply need the characters to verbally and plainly explain every little emotion, lest you become completely lost."

Am I the only one who realizes just how much Hollywood hates its own fans? At least 90% of their films are devoid of any and all subtlety. This is even worse in the case of remakes, because they must knowingly suck every ounce of intelligence out of the original film. Wake up people. You can cut the patronization with a knife. These movies scream, "You are an imbecile!" And yes, supporting them does make you an imbecile.

Oh, but that's not all. If the insipid, moron-proof dialogue weren't bad enough, this movie drops one of the most idiotic psychological twists humanly imaginable. Our two lovebirds decide to take exactly one year off so Cuthbert can heal her wounds, but she shows up 24 hours late because she needed one more arbitrary day for healing. That's beyond ridiculous. Only a Hollywood executive could think of something this mind-numbingly stupid.

The only halfway decent moments in this movie use concepts from the original. There's not a shred of well-executed originality to be found in this steaming pile of excrement. The only positives I can think of are a few pretty camerashots. Hence the 2/10 rating. The only comfort I have is that this vile garbage went direct to DVD. A small victory in the neverending battle against the cinematic dark ages that we Americans currently reside in. Cultural naivety, ignorance, repetition, and incredibly low standards seem to be the favored cinematic ideals around here as of late. However, I must say that the original Korean film is still nowhere to be found at your local video store. One might expect a simultaneous DVD release along with the remake. Such is unfortunately not the case.

People wonder why I generally hate Hollywood cinema as much as I do, but I ask you – my dear reader – how can I not? I don't like to be patronized by a bunch of talentless hacks in corporate suits who insult my intelligence by making a movie like this and actually expecting me to like it. Maybe I'm missing something, because everyone else around me finds comfort in this masochistic, self-hating existence. My fellow Americans may be flamboyant cowboys in terms of foreign policy, but in terms of entertainment they are the equivalent of abused housewives who keep coming back for more. Whether its ignorance or sheer stupidity, they just don't know any better.

May Hollywood burn in hell for all eternity. God knows they deserve it.

My American Remake Girl

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
1 November 2008

Yann Samuell's version of 'My Sassy Girl' is pretty much 95% a scene by scene copy of the beautiful Korean film. The hackneyed plot really lacks soul. It's not as bad as the trashy Indian version called 'Ugly Aur Pagli'. The friend character in this American version is annoying and one of the many Hollywood clichés including the Hollywood ending. The Americanized rewriting also makes the characters clichéd. For example the sequences of Charlie's and his friends discussion about relationships is something we have witnessed in numerous sitcoms and movies. No marks for creativity. Jesse Bradford tries to make the best of Charlie (despite the poor writing). Charlie comes across as whiny but remains tolerable because Bradford manages to make some of him likable. Elisha Cuthbert has never looked better but she fails to deliver in the comedic scenes. She's better during the more intense moments.

I loved Jae-young Kwak's 'Yeopgijeogin Geunyeo' which is one of my favourite romantic movies. So I was curious about this remake more so because I liked Bradford in his other movies and Cuthbert is quite pretty. This movie is no match for the original but it's not absolutely terrible (like the Indian one). Watch Kwak's movie if you haven't seen it yet and then give this one a try if you really want to.

...... not as good as....

Author: zozo313 from United States
25 January 2009

My sassy girl is a remake of the Korean movie of the same name. unfortunately it is not as good as the original Korean one and i just didn't like it very much. the original has better acting and this one doesn't outshine the original with it's acting. the girl in this movie doesn't play the part very well and the guy just doesn't do anything for me. if your going to use the (almost) exact same scenes you should at least do better than the one you are remaking.... if you want to see this movie i suggest watching the original with subtitles (which can be found on the internet) in my opinion it's better. feel free to disagree and compare them yourself. see which one you think is best. the original Korean one was made in 2001 and the American one was made in 2008 (to clear up any confusion). sorry if this offends but i fell this remake was a flop.

Fake and poor American version of MY SASSY GIRL

Author: John Todd from United Kingdom
11 January 2009

why why why? they have just destroyed the classic of the original Korean movie....MY SASSY GIRL. Please watch the original movie before u watch this movie, because they have mix the scene some very poor acting by the cast...this movie should be named has not MY SASSY GIRL...

also in this movie it does not explain the full story of the girl. like in the original movie... its stupid, boring and waste of time please please watch the original version of my sassy girl and now u can even watch the uncut version of the original movie...

this movie...well u can burn it....because if u watch this movie you'll be wasting your time

Watch the Korean version first.

Author: flopguy from United States
15 January 2010

Watch the Korean version first. This version will just act as a spoiler. This is Hollywood just taking the short cut. Look at what is huge in other countries and ripping it off. I was fortunate enough to see the Korean version first, if I hadn't this would have lessened the impact.

The acting was only OK. A lot of the emotion was zapped out of the story. In the Korean version the Sassy girl was played and presented better. You knew there was something intriguing about the girl. She seemed emotionally hurt. In this version she seemed more psychotic, She just seemed to attack.

Review for fans

Author: cmiguelgr from Paraguay
14 August 2008

Sadly this was a bad remake. I'm a fan of the original, and this one didn't make to the standards of the original one.

The script is so bad adapted, the characters are nothing like in the original and there are so many key points that they skipped that makes this even worse.

Some things that i disliked the most:

-The annoying friend Why the hell they needed him. Is annoying, disgusting, perverted pig...

-The relation with his aunt They only mention her once during the movie, and in the end she is a totally unknown character.

-Skipped parts They rushed so much the movie. In half hour, they showed up already what in the other took 2hrs.

-No character development Gwyeon-woo was such an interesting character, and naive. The girl was someone that was really hurt and really a sassy girl. But Charlie is just and idiot with stupid parents. There are nothing like in the original. Gwyeon-woo was also kind of lazy, but Charlie was a completely geek. The character of Eliza is more like the original one.

-The ending It had a really bad setup. Besides making it very obvious, in the original it was a little shocking if you didn't realize it before (like my brother) but, even then they waited to the last moment to unveil who was the one the aunt was trying to introduce.

Instead, in this one, even someone who wasn't paying attention to the movie could guess the ending (leaving in a side the fact that they end up together)

-The locales Everything feels kind of cheap and fake. Im not from U.S but i think that the park was Central Park, and it doesn't feel quite comforting and personal as Jeju Island (where i think they went to put the time capsule). Some places and colors used where nice, but overall, everything felt cheap.

I keep thinking that they lost their producers or distributors, because at the beginning you can see that this was done by CJ entertainment and not by some American producers.. Is so sad that they released this way..

Why they remake it this way??!!

Author: foxy-fika from Indonesia
5 October 2009

I watch the Korean version when i was in University, back in 2003-2004. I love this movie. Love it so much that sometimes i smile remember every scene, i think its very moving and romantic. This movie made me cry because its so romantic, and sincere. Last night i just saw the American version. Oh Lord.. that's the first word i said to my self. The acting very poor ! Elisha Cuthbert fail show the real emotion of loosing someone that she love, and almost crazy because of it. She also can't try to act silly, crazy and wickedly sassy as Ji-hyun Jun in Korea movie. She can't even act drunk. And the guy... hmm.. Jesse Bradford, can't see his chemistry too to his character. And whats up with that friend thing.. euuhh... They trying hard to westernize the movie. But i just feel this movie fail to picture the biggest thing it trying to say, about destiny and love it self. You could aside the cultural things, because love it self is universal. This movie i consider fail not because of that culture.. just because poor acting, that's it ! Will vote 2 because at least they still use almost the same script. Its very nice story.. its just too bad... (i am speechless!!) (T.T)

Korean/original version is the best ever!! watch it and you will understand what most people here trying to say! (i even watch the sequel!!)

Fails as both an adaptation or an interpretation of a wonderful romantic comedy.

Author: Tort21 from United States
12 January 2009

This movie is an American adaptation of the Korean version of the same name. Cuthbert and Bradford both fail to recreate the integral chemistry of the characters from the original version. In comparison to Jun Ji-hyun's portrayal of the "sassy girl", Cuthbert's performance was uninspired and often times painful to watch. Jun Ji-hyun's organic performance of a lively yet complex girl becomes forced and unconvincing in Cuthbert's attempt. One is awkwardly aware throughout the film that Cuthbert is trying to mimic a character rather than becoming the character herself. Besides Bradford's "good boy" image, he contributes nothing to the role. He lacks the emotion and passion of the original character. As for the movie, it is a scene by scene copy of the original version, each more poorly executed than the next. Rather than a cute romantic comedy created by the natural interactions of the characters, this movie feels fake, choppy, and poorly made for budgeted movie. If you're going to watch both versions, make sure you see this one first before the original. To do the opposite would be akin to reading the book and then seeing the adapted movie.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]