IMDb > Yes: Keys to Ascension (2001) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Yes: Keys to Ascension (V) More at IMDbPro »

THE CLASSIC LINE-UP WITH CLASSIC SONGS

Author: arno.f@hetnet.nl from Nieuw-Vennep, the Netherlands
25 November 2004

Back in 1996, after the so called 80's line-up split up, the so called classic 70's line-up of Yes, the greatest progressive rock band there ever was and still is, gave 3 concerts in San Luis Obiso. All ready after that things fell apart again due to keyboardist Rick Wakeman being reluctant to do any touring at that point in time.

However the DVD itself is a great capture of those 3 nights. In all honesty there has been some work done in the studio, for example singer Anderson did not remember all the words to epic "Revealing Science of God" and if you look carefully you see his lips singing something else, then what you hear coming from your boxes. But as said, it is still a great capture of classic Yes and all that it stands/stood for: long, well written and structured complex songs played by a highly talented bunch of musicians, who are the best in their fields.

Only minor point is that all though released in 2001, it isn't in DTS sound, "just" Dolby 5.1 (I'm a whiner, am I not..LOL).

But musicians and kids nowadays could learn a whole lot from this DVD about what "real" music is and what "real" musicians are.

All in all, a highly enjoyable DVD!!!

music affirmative/visual not so

Author: ajstewart_2000 from Canada
21 April 2007

As a long time fan of Yes, I enjoyed the CD of Keys To Ascension, both volumes, but found myself vaguely disappointed with the video that was released somewhat later. This music was created in a time before rock videos and the director would have been wise to have left this as a straight concert film, with cameras on the stage. However the director spends most of the time giving us the view from the back of the hall. I suppose so we can appreciate the architecture. Then he wastes time with clips of some sort of Mechano set on a turntable as well as people hanging off of mountains. Given that almost every tour since 1983 has been recorded and available as a home video, this one is certainly not essential. I'd go with Songs From Tsongas for the same line up.