Even Money (2006) Poster

(I) (2006)

29 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
This Film Was Awful
deanm8512 March 2006
I never write comments about movies but I have to on this one. This, unfortunately, was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I just got out of the theater and I feel a little bad that I'm writing this. It's here at the SXSW Film Festival in Austin and it seemed some other people liked it. The acting was atrocious and the plot was really weak. I guess I don't want to get banned so here's a minor SPOILER ALERT: It's a gambling movie but the casino chips I could buy for $.05 each at Walgreens. There was a point shaving story line that was laughable. Apparently no one who knows anything at all about gambling helped out on this film. Basinger's character pulls a complete 180 three different times in the film. It's completely unbelievable. This felt like a straight to DVD film.
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Even Money" busts out
Jason Bailey20 May 2007
"Even Money" is an ensemble drama that aims to be the Traffic or Syriana of gambling, but comes off closer to Crash—a trite amalgam of scenes we've seen many, many times before. The fact that you've heard so little about a film with such an impressive cast (Kim Basinger, Ray Liotta, Danny DeVito, Tim Roth, Kelsey Grammar, Nick Cannon, Jay Mohr, Carla Gugino, Forest Whitaker) should tell you something; indeed, the scuttlebutt on the ol' World Wide Internets is that the film was headed straight to DVD until Whitaker picked up the Oscar.

The cast is mostly good, but there's only so much that they can do with this material. Basinger and Liotta are especially hard up, stranded in a story thread that is older than the hills; poor Carla Gugino is stuck playing the same scene (by my count) three times straight, which is a criminal misuse of an actress as intelligent and sexy as she. Tim Roth has some nice moments as an especially snarky bad guy, though this viewer wondered if he would really show up at the college basketball game that provides the film's climax (with a resolution that can be clearly seen the moment the story turn is introduced). Kelsey Grammar (nearly unrecognizable) appears, at the film's beginning, to be doing an interesting piece of character acting as a cop, but he then disappears for over an hour, which makes his character's big final scene somewhat less than compelling.

"Even Money" is a mess, an attempt to manufacture a prestige picture by throwing many talented actors at a script whose most complex insight appears to be "gambling is bad". We should expect as much from producer Bob Yari, who gave us the aforementioned "Crash" ("racism is bad"). Director Mark Rydell has helmed a couple of successful films ("On Golden Pond", "The Cowboys") and some interesting failures ("Intersection", "The Rose"), but when he pops up briefly as a powerful figure at the end of "Even Money", all I could think of was his similar acting role in Altman's "The Long Goodbye", and how much I'd rather be watching that movie than this one.
25 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great film, unbelievable cast
myundergroundcity16 March 2006
This new film has a superb cast, with potential award winning performances from Danny DeVito, Kim Basinger and -- particularly -- Forest Whitaker.

Tense, tight script that keeps you guessing 'til the very end. A new writer, and I'd love to see other stuff he's written.

If you're looking for a typical light, frothy Hollywood film with a happy ending, look elsewhere: 'Even Money' gives you a strong dose of real life -- as several lives unwind because of addictive gambling.

The same producer took a chance on "Crash" -- this film, in my opinion, is definitely in the same league.
37 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very good film
mila416 March 2006
Wow. I must disagree with the guy who hated the movie. Don't know what movie he was watching, but I was at the screening Sunday night and the film was well received and rightly so.

It's an intelligent, character driven movie. Great performances. They don't make many films like this anymore. I actually had issues with CRASH (the cartoonish depiction of race issues of LA, the coincidences). EVEN MONEY is a better film.

One issue: I had no idea in which city the movie took place.

Other than that, I highly recommend this film for those of you who miss the great character driven films of the 70's.
37 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don' t risk what you can't afford to lose.
Michael O'Keefe18 September 2007
Cleverly written with a splash of suspense. Don't even forget about a dark side. People always want more than they have; more money, more time, more love...more life. A group of individual's lives are connected through an addiction to gambling. Kim Basinger is a perplexed writer that has lost almost all of her family's savings. Her husband(Ray Liotta)misses her and her daughter(Carson Brown)no longer has a college fund. Forest Whitaker needs his NBA bound nephew Nick Cannon to shave points in basketball games to win money. Danny DeVito is a washed-up magician needing money to restart a career. Jay Mohr is a volatile bookie, who is ruthless in collecting his money. Kelsey Grammar is a detective investigating the killing of two bookies. Atmosphere is moody and the pace pulsing. Also in the cast: Tim Roth, Carla Gugino and Grant Sullivan.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Crash" for the gambling set
Roland E. Zwick12 March 2008
Despite its decidedly un-ambitious nature, "Even Money" is a modern film noir melodrama with more story lines and characters than Robert Altman's "Nashville." Kim Basinger, Danny DeVito, Ray Liotta, Kelsey Grammar, Forest Whitaker, Grant Sullivan, Jay Mohr, and Carla Gugino all play individuals whose only real connection is that they are in some way or another touched by the evils of gambling.

Robert Tannen's overstuffed screenplay wanders all over the map, forcing the actors to spend most of their time just trying to keep up with all the narrative permutations. The most ludicrous subplot features DeVito as a washed-up magician who contemplates a professional comeback by teaming up with the best-selling author and compulsive gambler played by Basinger. Individually, any of the various plot strands might have made for an interesting movie, but taken together, they just keep getting in each others' way.

Veteran filmmaker Mark Rydell has not only helmed the piece but appears in a crucial cameo role late in the film. Sad to say, he doesn't make much of an impact in either capacity.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Double or Nothing: Big Gamble on Fine Cast in Otherwise Craps Film
george.schmidt21 May 2007
EVEN MONEY (2007) ** Kim Basinger, Danny DeVito, Ray Liotta, Forest Whitaker, Tim Roth, Jay Mohr, Kelsey Grammar, Nick Cannon, Carla Gugino, Grant Sullivan,Carson Brown, Cassandra Hepburn (Dir: Mark Rydell)

Double or Nothing: Big Gamble on Fine Cast in Otherwise Craps Film

Gambling is an addiction that, like drug abuse or alcoholism, affects not only the one perpetuating the disease but also those around them including their loved ones. In this melodramatic attempt at showing the ills of the so-called gambling lifestyle (an oxymoron come to think of it) then the odds are against the viewer in this hodgepodge of dramatic vignettes.

Intertwined throughout this CRASH-like narrative are Carol Carver (Basinger, acting up a storm here), a novelist struggling to find her second novel but fritters her afternoons away in a local casino overwhelmed with guilt at having her family's life savings nearly completely lost at her bad luck; Walter (De Vito, one of the film's producers to boot), a down-and-out slight-of-hand magician who thinks he can get back in the lime-light and takes Carol under his wing in helping her get back her lost monies ; Clyde Snow (Whitaker, equally giving a run for his money acting up to a full-bodied sweat, a hard-working plumber who wagers too high on his younger brother Godfrey (Cannon), a skilled high school basketball player with dreams of the NBA in his brilliant future; Augie and Murph (Mohr and Sullivan, respectively), a pair of small-time bookies who take their anger out on the welchers with quick brutal beatings; and Victor (Roth hamming it up to the hilt) as an oily big-time bookie who may be guilty in a series of murders of his competition.

Also on hand are Liotta as Basinger's English lit teaching husband whose patience is growing weary thinking his wife is having an affair and their tween daughter Claudia (Brown) rebelling with her budding sexuality; Veronica (Gugino), a doctor and girlfriend to Murph who isn't aware (at first) of her beloved's violent tendencies; and Detective Brunner (Grammer in some unwisely recommended facial make-up prostheses), investigating the string of murders and the lure of a mysterious gangster/red herring named Ivan.

The scattershot screenplay by newcomer Robert Tannen is all over the place and while it gets the duh point of gambling is bad for you the flat direction by vet Rydell (ON GOLDEN POND) leaves his actors grasping for air like fish out of water. The odds for the viewer to be entertained are decidedly craps.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Bad TV Movie at its best
Battoire2 December 2006
I have never reviewed a film on this site before but after reading the one above felt compelled to do so. I too saw this film at a festival just last week and cannot believe that we are talking about the same one.

At its best, this film is a bad TV movie. It is one of only 3 films I have even walked out of. I will be surprised if it ever reaches the big screen or even DVD release.

The script is unbelievable, the acting bad, the plot rubbish and to top it all off Kesley Grammar has a prosthetic nose and chin - and done really badly!! Why?? Probably so you don't just see him as Fraser Crane? The cast list is very impressive (in fact the reason I went to see it) but no one gets the chance to shine as the script is so bad.

Avoid at all costs
22 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gambling, addiction and full frontal betrayal
Herb Yellin (Herby11230)20 November 2007
The comparisons to "Babel" and "Fast Food Nation" are way off the mark. "Even Money" is a film noir with revenge at its center, in gambling win or lose there is a payday and in this movie all the debts are paid, and there is potential for two couples to emerge from their morass. This is a good film, directed by a pro, Mark Rydell, who has even has a cameo role in which some of the irony and mystery is explained.

This is a sleazy movie -- to paraphrase Michael Douglas in "Wall Street," sleaze is good, and tips its hat to Orson Welles in one of my favorite films, "Touch of Evil." Yes, it is about addiction and much of the extraordinary cast (Kim Basinger, Kelsey Grammar, Danny Devito, Forest Whitaker, Ray Liotto and Tim Roth among them) play it carefully, straddling the line, without becoming camp or going over the top. High marks to the director for this.

If you like your cynicism straight and don't turn your head at a little cinematic violence this is a movie you will enjoy. Its well worth taking a flier on.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mark Rydell should be ashamed of this garbage
id24712 August 2007
Welcome to Even Money, a strictly, by-the-numbers, connect the dots, type of film that has very little to recommend it.

Everybody seems to be sleepwalking it, borrowing character elements from their previous films.

Tim Roth plays a vicious gangster. Oooh original. Danny De Vito a failed magician who dreams of the bigtime. Yawn. Kim Basinger a mother with gambling problems, whittling away the family savings. Done how many times before in TV movies? Oh and Forest Whitaker has to ask his basketball prodigy brother to throw games so he can cancel his debt with the loan sharks, wow that's novel.

And then we have Kelsey Grammar with a plastic nose and face to match, that distracted me so much from his character, every time he appeared I kept thinking what's Kelsey Grammar doing with the dodgy nose? I forgot who he was meant to be.

People are comparing this with Crash - why? Different director and very poor writer, and a plot that isn't anywhere near as intertwined as people think.

A very simple, unoriginal film, with NOTHING to commend it. Avoid.
20 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Superb Performance of Kim Besinger and the rest of the cast
hugo820 January 2007
Beautiful realistic story of an ugly gambling addiction. From my point of view, the actors did the extra needed to make this movie an Oscar nominee and another one should be given for the castings. Just couldn't be better. The movie has obviously two different parts. On the first one we get presented to the three main figures and their gambling habits, that put them in deep deep troubles almost grabbing them to grave. On the second part, it's the fight to survive. Some do, while other have to face the unavoidable... Last but definitely not least. Kim Besinger. One of few that years of acting do so great for her. Such sensitivity, charm, and precise performance. Breathless. She must have the Oscar for this one, no question about it. with lots of help from the others: Forest Whitaker, Tim Roth, Danny DeVito, Ray Liotta. Great movie.
17 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I would agree with the last commenter
coralcaves25 March 2006
I saw this at the Sunday screening during sxsw as well. Similar in style to crash but not as overproduced and much better more realistic character development. Also I think the point was to not know what city it was in...the main focus was on the characters as the last commenter said....

Kelsey Grammar did such a good job he for sure will be nominated for many supporting actor awards if this film does see the light of day...in fact I would bet this movie would too....Kim Basinger was the low point in the movie to me...but that may just be because I don't like her...but the rest of the cast was amazing. Tim Roth did a fantastic job especially with the strange awkward body positions he would stand in...just made him seem so creepy...

anyway...great film...if you get a chance see it..
22 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolute dreck
Jeddy44 October 2007
And I thought "Crash" was a pretentious "look at me!!" slab of moralizing garbage...This follows in the same stench that "Crash" left behind. I picked it because of some of the cast...Whitaker, Roth,...I thought there had to be something in there...no way. Ham-fisted and insipid. I come from a family with a gambling addict and this made me long for the real thing...as horrible as it is. It's a morality play for people who think it's a Hollie Hobbie world out here. There is nothing remotely heart-felt or realistic in the "film" and the characters are the worst of stereotypes and clichés. Some of the people involved should have known better...but when the buck calls, everybody comes running. Stick with an "after school special." It might have more weight.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than what I thought it would be...
moviedude116 December 2008
Following the lives of three individuals centered around an addiction from which they find no escape. The only thing it gets them is DEEPER! Basinger plays a housewife who hides her gambling addiction from her family, even if it means they think she's having an affair. Whitaker plays the older brother of a college basketball student on the verge of making it big time, only to run the risk of being brought down for shaving points. DeVito is a small time magician with a bit of a gambling problem, himself, while Grammar plays a cop trying to find the killer of a bookie and finds himself on the trail of another bookie who's trying to take over the dead man's action.

This film is good! Really! I don't know what else to say about it. The characterizations were right on and the message is there: what a world you live in that will feed you what your disease tells you that you need! It affects all areas of your life: your sanity, your financial situations, your loved ones, your job, and, eventually, if you let it, your life. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bottom-feeders out there who's main reason for living is to give you that "sugar," only to take it away when the time is right (so to speak).

I'm not sure if the director and/or the writer were speaking from personal experience, but, speaking as one with his own addiction demons, he/they weren't very far off the mark! 7 out of 10 stars!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What are you willing to lay on the line?
lastliberal5 August 2008
You can sit in a University and listen to dry lectures from Psychology profs, or you can watch a great movie like this and understand human nature and desire more than you ever imagined.

Yes, we all want more, but most are not willing to make the commitment necessary to get it, and some cannot live with the consequences of failure. Who was it that said, "If you put all you own on one roll of the dice, and lose, and start over, you will be a man." That's why so many people stay married when they shouldn't - they can't face starting over.

This film had more life lessons that you can imagine and some damn fine actors to teach and entertain us.

Kim Basinger was magnificent as a struggling writer who falls into a gambling addiction. She really gets pathetic as she falls deeper in debt. Danny DeVito was also great as someone who life passed by and was now picking up crumbs. When faced with total loss, he took the coward's way out. Forest Whitaker gave an excellent performance as someone living on his brother's (Nick Cannon) ability. Tim Roth as Victor, the criminal, was dead on. I also enjoyed Ray Liotta and Carla Gugino, and thought Carson Brown was amazing.

Funniest Line: "Teenagers...they are God's way of punishing us for having sex."
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another GREAT movie, from the people who brought you "Crash"
teaden5517 March 2006
I happened to catch this movie recently at the SXSW festival - and I'm so glad I did.

There are some incredible performances by an outstanding cast (some will completely surprise you! I mean, who would expect Kelsey Grammar doing a great job in the same movie as Danny DeVito and Forest Whitaker?) It's a really tight script with three separate story lines - it moves well, you get caught up in the excellent characters, and there's never a dull moment.

I could do without the title, but besides that this movie is a winner.

(This was done by the same production company put out Crash, which just won a 'Best Picture' Oscar - and I think they've got another winner here.)
17 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We Are Responsible for Our Actions
skybar20-130 June 2008
I'm always fascinated by any film that can provoke an array of feelings towards it as this films appears to have done. I am in the "liked it very much" camp. Perhaps if one avoids seeing it as a slice of life screenplay, it can be appreciated much better. I saw it as an exercise in watching people proceed to ruin their lives....we're generally responsible for what choices we make. Kelsey Grammar was very good in his role, but I could have done without the false nose, etc. Tim Roth is one of those actors who is never boring regardless of how good or poor the particular film may be. While I can appreciate why some people hate this film, I just approached it from a different angle, took it for what it was and didn't look at my watch once during its run.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a waste of 112 mins of my life!!!
emmyboo254 January 2009
Absolutely, without a shadow of doubt the worst movie i have ever seen.....Ever!! What's the deal with Kelsey Grammar's false nose??? Crooked nose or not, he'll always just be Frasier to me. If you haven't seen it, don't bother....after 10 minutes i knew i hated it but had to watch it to the end in the hope that by some miracle the actors would start doing what they were being paid to do...ie. Act! and the poor story would somehow become bearable. Needless to say, neither things happened. I don't know who was the worst, Kim Basinger and her screaming shaky head or Forrest Whitaker repeating the one line he had in the film, "Godfrey Snow, Godfrey Snow!".AAAAHHHH!
An Inside Perspective On This Film
tony1-87 June 2008
I worked in Hollywood when this script made the rounds. (I've now come to my senses and make my living in another field.)

I can tell you that it was a fantastic script. Highly ambitious.

The reason it is not as good a movie as the screenplay is due to the producer and the director.

It's a shame because it should have been a fantastic movie.

Trust me when I say that all the stars got attached because of the script. None of them got paid near what they usually make. (The producer is notoriously cheap.)

There are some wonderful moments which remain, but when I watched it, I just wanted to get back in the business and remake it as it should have been made the first time!

Pity.

A lot of things need to come together to make a great film.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If things do get as intertwined as many movies portray, don't say that they didn't warn us.
Lee Eisenberg27 October 2007
I've noticed that in the 21st century, there's been a surge in movies portraying several people who, although they may never meet, are all connected by something: "Traffic", "Syriana", "Fast Food Nation" and "Babel". Now, there's also Mark Rydell's "Even Money", depicting several people linked by gambling addictions. There's Carolyn Carver (Kim Basinger), a writer ignoring her family and spending all her time in the casino with prestidigitator Walter Markowitz (Danny DeVito); Clyde Snow (Forest Whitaker), a handyman trying to help his son become a basketball player; and Augie (Jay Mohr), who has taken some very wrong turns in his life. But in control of everything is slime-ball Victor (Tim Roth), intent on rigging the upcoming basketball game.

I should say that I didn't find this movie to be as good as the aforementioned intertwined-story films, as the aforementioned ones dealt more with political issues. But I thought that it was worth seeing as a look at the underbelly of life in general (is that a lame description?). And an ugly look at things it certainly is. Victor is one guy whom you hope that you never have to meet, but it's still possible to admire him somewhat. At times, every one of the characters made my skin crawl just a little bit.

All in all, an OK movie. Also starring Ray Liotta as Kim Basinger's husband, Kelsey Grammar as a detective, and director Rydell at the end.

PS: Mark Rydell also directed Bette Midler's movies "The Rose" and "For the Boys".
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrific ensemble cast seems underwhelmed at their material
bver8825 December 2011
THIS cast could have taken the film into a 'HIGHER realm' of movie magic than the 'Great Abraham' ever managed. BUT it never gets going... Disappointing Mark Rydell film that fails to 'take off'....KGrammar&RLiotta, terrific actors both, seem in suspended animation. Can't put my finger on the problem, but the spark is not quite there.

Happy to hire this DVD based on the talent displayed on the front cover. Some good scenes especially where DDaVito is concerned.

All told?

This did not deliver the goods

Would not recommend. This gets a "6", and feel generous with that.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gambling in a losing game !
ahmed elshikh2 October 2011
As if it mixes Magnolia (1999) with Jackie Brown (1997). The matter of many ordinary people having their own problems, interweaving together, from the first, with the crime's atmosphere that gathers different people in one climax, from the second. But does it succeed.. in whatever ?!

It's about gambling, as a pure idea maybe. The has-been magician gambles with his life savings, to lose and die. The basketball player's older brother gambles with his brother then his own life to lose and die. The henchman gambles with his life to lose and die. And the lost writer gambles with her and her husband's life savings to lose and not die. As you see it's dark and disappointing. And while there is somehow a happy ending, meanings about love and sacrifice, there are also some questions to be asked : Was that henchman suppressed homosexual or just a lonely person in desperate need for a friend ? What about the friend's story? How he works out his relationship with his girlfriend or revenges on the killer of his companion ? (he only was about to hit the girlfriend as an ultimate answer !).

The worst thing is when the character of that crippled dusty detective (Kelsey Grammar in one heck of a NOSE!), gives a voice-over speech as a finale, while saying forced aphorisms like "The human needs more..", and so. Well, who is that character in the first place ?!, and why does he – suddenly and oddly – conclude the movie ?! And it isn't enough without the appearance of the crime lord Ivan (played by Mark Rydell, the director himself) as the glossy god of that filthy world and everything everybody dreams of (?!). So is it some reading to our world as evil? Is it a tragedy of fools? Is it a satire against the human greed? Or is it just another melodrama where the writer kills nearly everybody then preoccupies himself with extracting philosophical lessons at the end? In any case, that ending is nothing but more disappointment !

I can't believe how bad the level of directing is. Rydell didn't do anything. The case is hellishly TV-ish (dead is the word). Save the editing, which – thank god – made it coherent and no boring, there is absolutely no second to call clever or smart. It's all about actors chatter in narrow cadres with great tepidity. So eventually while the movie provides some dramatic stories for some actors, hoping to be another Magnolia, or even Crash, it ends up as so poor and uneven.

Kim Basinger has so limited capacities, some other actresses could have shined in her role. Forest Whitaker is good, but in something lesser than him. Kelsey Grammar committed a crime by accepting the worst written role in history. And Danny DeVito does it with no particularity whatsoever; no wonder since that have-not situation did strike utterly, what I wonder about is his involving in producing this. The only merit it has is its witness that Jay Mohr can do drama effectively away from his much known stiff comedy.

Making any movie is a gamble. But this movie's makers gambled good names in a losing game. So with another writer or – sure – director, (Even Money) could have been something to watch, love and respect. Because I regretted those 113 minutes of artless time and alleged wisdom.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Puts its money where its mouth is
Hamish Kearvell17 October 2008
Even Money follows a theme that many are seeming to tackle lately. That of intertwined actions from inter-related characters resulting in one climactic reaction. Crash mastered this superbly only two years earlier, and now comes Even Money.

Lined up with a commendable list of actors, Even Money sets out to prove something from the start. Based around a theme of gambling addiction and its consequences, Even Money definitely delivers where it matters. Everyone plays their part effortlessly but some obviously stand out more than others. After disappearing into the world of direction, Danny Devito reappears as a failed magician still holding onto his dream. His character offers moments of comic relief and utter charm. Tim Roth is impeccable as Victor, the second-hand man to mysterious Ivan. But it is that of Forest Whitaker who absolutely shines once again in this film, showing that there is no role he cannot hold.

While the acting for the most part is truly fierce, and the mood is alive with all the happenings of a gritty urban underworld, Even Money feels like it tries just a bit too hard, or possibly, not enough, in making the character's stories interweave and you can see it a mile away. But even with that, it is much more about the emotions portrayed through those lasts scenes and the impact they have. Even Money is a dramatic and powerful attempt at a new Crash and achieves a definite amount of success.

Hamish Kearvell A.K.A Screaming Japan Productions - www.myspace.com/screamingjapanproductions
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Like the title, this movie is has equal amounts of good & bad scenes
Jay Harris19 October 2007
First odd, this is a multi-part story,involving various types of gambling & the persons involved with gambling.

The scenes involving Danny DeVito, Kim Basinger & Ray Liotta are the best, Forrest Whittaker & Nick Cannon scenes are almost as good, I could have had mess MUCH less of the ones with Jay Mohr & Tim Roth & Kelsey Grammar, Not they were bad, just not as interesting.

Mark Rydel directed with his usual Flair, & production values was quite good, The film runs 113 LONG minutes, it could have been shorter.

This film is another example of having a very short release in only a handful of theatres.

Ratings **1.2 (out of 4)78 points (out of 1oo) 7 (out of 10)
Excellent Movie about Gambling
Greatornot30 September 2009
Aside from Horse Racing, this movie pretty much covered the gambling industry from A-Z. The intertwining of the characters was well done. Acting was great, especially Tim Roth who played Victor.Mr. Roth is very underrated.He has great acting range, have seen him in many different types of roles. Yes there were some clichés. Bored housewife, jealous of husbands success and fills void by gambling. Point shaving family member prodded by brother who is in deep debt to bookies, and a washed up magician living in ,lets just say sub prime conditions. Even with the clichés , this film did well to explore each character in great lengths. The movie veered a little to Film Noir with some twists , I felt were unnecessary. All in all a very watchable film that depicted the gambling situation in really Anytown,USA. It was clever that this film did not distinguish what city this took place.A thoroughly , enjoyable film with some ambiguity... By that I mean , at times , in your mind , you did not know who to rout , in certain situations, such as winning certain bets. An entertaining film, good acting ensemble, moral lessons- What else can you ask ?
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this