IMDb > The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

The Exorcism of Emily Rose More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 53: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

"Inspired by a true story," but Facts Don't Matter?

Author: time_waster from Tucson, Arizona
12 September 2005

This movie didn't suck, and the acting was great all around. That's about all the good I can say about it. I would have enjoyed it as a halfway-decent thriller or a courtroom drama more if it hadn't claimed to be based on a real story. But when Laura Linney says during trial that "this case is not about facts," that summed up about everything wrong with the religious apologists I've seen in the media lately, from George W. Bush to the Kansas Board of Education. This idea that facts don't matter has poisoned cultural discourse for the last decade or more: some people seem to think that, as long as we have Faith, our negligent fact-checking won't lead to any wrongdoing.

It would be one thing if writer/director Scott Derrickson and co-writer Paul Harris Boardman simply presented the "facts don't matter" tactic as part of the defense's legal strategy, but they add details to the story that try to shore this argument up. To its credit, the story concludes with the priest being found guilty of negligent manslaughter, which is apparently what happened in the real-life case in Germany. Weighing against this are the made-up story details about Linney's and Tom Wilkinson's characters being plagued by evil signs and visions, and the attending physician being killed just as he tells Linney that he sees the demons. Combined with Hollywood pop-psychology ("schizophrenics never know they're schizophrenic"), these would be workable, if clichéd, in a movie that admitted it was solely fiction, but here they serve only as a crutch to prop up the sagging drama and as evidence of the screenwriters' bias.

The acting was excellent, but, not having seen Hellraiser: Inferno, I can't say that this is due to the direction. I do know that Laura Linney has handled herself well before in Mystic River and You Can Count on Me, and Tom Wilkinson was great in In the Bedroom and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind; here, they clearly pick up the slack left by the script. Wilkinson, in particular, plays the best Flawed Holy Avenger since Jason Miller. It is not an easy thing to come up with a convincing character when the story around you is thin, but they manage to do it. Relative newcomer Jennifer Carpenter did fine as Emily, although her role consisted mostly of contorting herself and screaming hysterically. I really felt for her at moments, thinking that, regardless of whether it was demons or psychosis that ailed her, it was horrifying to think what she must have been going through.

That emotional level got me through the movie. The storytelling shortcuts and the intellectual dishonesty grated against me, but I was able to cope with it for the two hours or so that I sat there. If only it hadn't claimed to be based on real events, it could have told a better story, and more honestly.

excellent horror movie

Author: alviansendy from Indonesia
12 March 2013

First of all this was a good movie.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose is based upon a true story, the events that lead up to the death of Emily Rose. The real person who inspired this movie was Anneliese Michel. Emily Rose was a young college student, who believed she was possessed. Her family and her pastor did everything they could to save her. The story wasn't overly predictable. It was a look back on what exactly happened when Emily Rose got possessed and how it ended. the Priest, Father Moore was help by an agnostic lawyer, Erin Bruner and her trying to not only get ahead in her career but convince a journey that medical science could not determine. Emily Rose had a medical condition but a demonic possession. But the prosecutor, Ethan Thomas was a devout catholic and against the priest, Father Moore. The dynamics between the key characters is interesting and well thought out.

A great horror movie

Author: Putri Widiantika W from Indonesia
24 January 2013

This is the first I write here. I am an avid fan of horror films and when I watched "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" 3 days ago, I thought this film contains many secret things. But the film did not scary me but it shocked me. I enjoyed the movie very much. I could not predict the ending of the film. All parts of this film didn't make me bored. And the film is a true story. Many things in this film are alien to me and added my knowledge about medical field. This film can be watched by any age. I would like to comment specifically to the cast who took the role of Emily Rose for her great acting.

I suggest anyone who reads this to watch this film.

Excellent Quality of Film

Author: adhie_nugroho from Indonesia
7 January 2012

I was skeptical when my friend recommended to watch it back in 2005 ... for long long time I always ignore when I browse in horror section ... but somehow because it's Jennifer Carpenter on the cast which I love her on the "Quarantine" Okay maybe I'll give a try. From the beginning to the end it's thrill me and still on my head for a few days even I had to googled the true story of Emily Rose which is happen for real to a German's girl. I love this movie above my horror/thriller list, and still there's a question which is an unanswered on the film, only 2 movies that makes me had the same feel about this film "The Passion of The Christ" and "Eden Lake". That's makes this movie the best horror/thriller ever.

What we Believe is Paramount No matter where your Belief is

Author: sujaywalkingaway from India
31 October 2011

When I saw Exorcist the first time it scared the Hell out of me,it is still the best Horror ever but this is not about exorcism this movie is about beliefs which can either turn our life into a living hell or a peaceful Paradise . I live in a third world where Science has not touched every home where still procession is considered an act of god not logic or Science ,Hence may be my review is confined to bounds of my surroundings .

I don't care what the original story is,was it really the way it was shown or some religious fanatics killing their own daughter .This movie is a product of ones understanding of an event and a outright Sincere belief that Good and Bad still exist in Pairs .Don't base your rationale on Speculations watch this with an open mind and I think any one who believes in the definition of Good likes it .

Great acting ,Not much about the technical aspects of a movie which thrives more on the Story telling but yes they were all good when needed .Above all it never deviates from the point ought to be shown .Sometimes expectations do kill good movie experiences which happens with this movie as well .Don't expect Nerve wrecking thrills of The Shining or Exorcist but you still get shaken up whenever it is needed .

The Best Horror movie since The Exorcist ..Hands Down!!

Author: mmjnr10 from Cairo, Egypt
1 July 2011

I honestly believe this movie is so under rated and for a huge fan of powerful horror movies I rate this one up there among the very best of all times. The storyline is terrifying especially for those with religious backgrounds; this one seriously touches your spine!! The movie is well written and acted mainstream type movie that I am sure for those serious followers of horror movies would have a feast watching and getting terrified by its incidents which start In the lead actress student dorm with one of the most terrifying possession scenes in cinematic history in my humble opinion and goes through several stages till it reach a climax with the exorcist trying to cast away the evil spirit to discover that there are multiple spirits to cast which proved too strong for him cope with.

All in all this movie is a must watch especially for those fans of exorcism and demonic possession and in that category I honestly believe it's the best movie of its genre since The Exorcist with only one other movie that arguably can be better and that is The Rite by Sir Anthony Hopkins

Demons exist weather you believe in them or not

Author: metherandere from United States
9 April 2006

this movie opened the door to a topic that has been a large puzzle in the 21st century, many now deny the existence of demons, and many even deny the existence of almighty God, but a large question can be posed here , what makes you so sure, many things are not proved to exist but what makes you so sure that they don't , because modern science cannot and will never deny the existence of anything for sure, because there is no sure thing as a proof for nonexistence , we simply don't have that knowledge , demons have been stated in all three holy books ( the Tarah , bible , and the Koran ) and believers of these religion - at least - the holy men of these religions believe they exist, so i think you cant deny the presence of something just because you cant see it, if you say you can , answer me this , can you see your soul , .....

well does it exist... ?

A Compelling Watch!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
15 March 2012

Loosely based on the story of Anneliese Michel, Scott Derrickson's Box-Office Blockbuster 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' is A Compelling Watch! Scary, Horrifying & Nail-Biting, this courtroom-drama/horror flick, is a knock-out!

'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' Synopsis: A lawyer takes on a negligent homicide case involving a priest who performed an exorcism on a young girl.

'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' is extremely depressing & yet gripping. It's masterfully written by Paul Harris Boardman & Derrickson. The Screenplay is scary, horrifying, depressing & yet gripping. Every Sequence unfolds very well. The Pacing is perfect & The Execution is truly top-notch. Derrickson's Direction is fantastic. Cinematography, Editing & Art Design, are fine.

Performance-Wise: Jennifer Carpenter as Emily Rose, is unforgettable. This is her finest performance to date. Laura Linney is riveting, in a powerful role. The Marvelous Tom Wilkinson, gives a yet another winning performance. Campbell Scott is first-rate. Colm Feore is adequate. Mary Beth Hurt lends support.

On the whole, 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' is a must see.

Great movie,

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
7 March 2010

A young girl dies under the care of her parish priest. While attending college, Emily believed she became possessed. After medical care ceases to work, she turned to her faith. In the care of her priest she dies and he goes on trial for her death. He is represented by a career-minded and driven lawyer who does not believe in God. Thus is the story of Emily Rose, told by those in the trial and the priest who watched her through her possession I enjoy the scenes in the scenes in the courtroom as I was hooked on every word. I did not find those scenes boring at all.

The scenes with Emily was being possessed were spine-chilling scary.

Jennifer Carpenter was outstanding in this movie As was the rest of the cast.

Great movie, I am going give this movie a 8 out of 10

Great Story. Memorable Scenes.

Author: Onethought from Glastonbury, UK.
1 December 2005

This definitely not to be missed in my personal opinion. Simply because of the simplicity of the story as well as the honesty with which the story is told.

It is not a cheap horror flick. But it has enough to make you feel fear. Be very afraid not to spend £5 to see this movie. Well worth it. There are other movies out there that claim to be horror but does not quite tell any story you can take home. Well with Emily you take home a story, and the fear and the chills are just added freebies. Emily Rose is a beautiful girl. Something's happened to Emily Rose, this film analyzes it in a dualistic approach. Fresh way to view a rather old tale of exorcism.

I particularly like the Laura Linney's character. All in all the cast is very very good. The movie has a time detached feel to it. You might think you were watching a movie made in 1980 or '90 or anytime! i would like to Jennifer Carpenter again in another movie(where she hopefully wont need any exorcism). You will not forget her in this movie. Worth watching.