IMDb > The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

The Exorcism of Emily Rose More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 53: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A story well told, leaving much 'food for thought'.

Author: janinamousley from Australia
18 November 2005

If one is a Christian, one cannot deny the existence of Satan. During Christ's own earthly ministry, 2,000 years ago, He drove out demons from those possessed by them and gave His authority to His Apostles to do the same. This same ministry has been passed on to their successors through the Catholic Church. We Catholics believe that Jesus Christ is true God, as well as true Man, and He did not lie about Satan or trivialize his influence. Nothing Jesus Christ did or instructed His Apostles to do was irrelevant or unimportant. So it is no surprise that the priest in the film treats demonic possession very seriously, discerns it carefully, and then performs the rite of exorcism, as do other priests in the Catholic Church, who have been given this authority. Though this action is in response to Christ's command, it is not an easy thing for anyone involved. The film shows the seriousness of the matter, the terror experienced by the person possessed, the natural fear and concern of the priest, the family and any other witnesses. One is asked to judge for oneself whether such a thing really occurred or does occur, as we listen to the eyewitnesses, and like the jury called in the court we cannot help but consider whether the priest was negligent and the young woman misdiagnosed. We are all faced with the question.... whether this really happened. Yet we are told that this is a true story, and it is very simply, but well told. If we believe it, it confirms that even in our modern times, Jesus Christ's ministry of exorcism is needed and available to us in 2005 and His love for us, and for Emily, transcends what appears to be human defeat. See this film, whether you are a Christian or not.

Not the way you would expect it to be, but just as good

Author: Laurentiu Stan from Edinburgh
12 November 2005

This is not the first movie where Laura Linney is a lawyer involved in a trial concerning the Church and members of it. Yes it might not be as good as Primal Fear, but maybe it is , maybe it's much better or just as good. The one thing you should know is that, in my opinion, this movie is worth watching. You can find in "The exorcism of Emily Rose" good directing, wonderful acting and a decent screenplay. Besides, Laura Linney looks terrific....I think she looks better and better each day. Anyway, to conclude, this is a good Sunday evening movie, so if you get the chance, take your time and watch it.It's worth it! PS:Don't look for Richard Gere here, you won't find him

Beautiful film

Author: Alice Wylie (aliikay) from United Kingdom
7 March 2012

Amazing story, had my eyes glued to the screen waiting to see the verdict of Father Moore; Really worth watching, not gory. Based on a true story which makes it scarier; Held my friends hand at one point, buy it on DVD. I rate it 10/10. I can watch this over and over and it will still be as magical, i was thinking of using a Ouija board with my friend Emily and i'm called Alice, with brown eyes and ginger hair. Put me off, aha. No but seriously, changes your view on the devil and messing with him. Also didn't watch it in one night, woke up early in the morning, couldn't check the clock in case it was 3am. Spooky. Overall, a great film and really worth your time and money, not the scariest i've seen but definitely gives you chills.

Finally, a grown up, modern horror drama movie about Exorcism.

Author: Odd Magne (oddsnake@hotmail.com) from Southern Sweden
12 December 2005

Still ruling on the throne as the best Exorcism movie ever, The Exorcist has now finally gotten a rival that will be remembered for a long time. The Exorcism of Emily Rose is a haunting movie that shakes the very foundations of our beliefs, and forces us to ask the very same questions that the jury in the movie is faced with.

Based on a true story, The Exorcism of Emily Rose takes place in modern time, when a girl has died after being subjected to Exorcism by Father Moore. Moore is put on trial, charged with neglecting Emily's medical need, forcing his view that Exorcism was the only way to cure her. The lawyer Erin Bruner gets on the case to defend the Priest, and along the way she'll start to face her own demons, question her faith and fight for something she's not sure about.

The star of the show is Emily Rose. As her normal self, she's a sweet girl, but just like Regan in The Exorcist, she masters the sides of good and evil as she turns over to the dark side once the possessions begin. Her face distorts, her body twists into unbelievable positions, she becomes incredibly violent and dangerous. While her looks are never as gruesome as Regan in The Exorcist, they're much more real, which serves the movie well.

The movie presents us with situations, unexplainable, yet backed up with enough visual proof to convince us that what were seeing, was an actual possession, while it then proceeds to question our decision with lots of reasons and explanations for why it's impossible, and backs it up with scientific explanations to confirm this. Yet, it leaves both camps open, although it slightly tilts over into the "Possessed" side. Not so much that it becomes biased towards one side, but probably in order to create reasonable arguments that she was possessed, since arguably, the medical and scientific side is very powerful and believable in the movie. If the visual signs of her possessions hadn't been so dominant in the movie, it would have been much harder to create the wanted effect on the audience. Yet for all her behavior and changes, she still remains human, her voice, eyes, body movement and so on are still explained in a scientific way, making it possible to say "She was not possessed" based on the movie. Personally, I like to think that she was possessed, but the movie does such a great job of making both sides convincing that I'd accept both possibilities.

Much of the movie doesn't actually take place with Emily, rather it deals with the events in and out of the courtroom, in the trial. Some of these scenes drags a little bit, but not so much so they become boring. They still focus on Emily, the Pros and Cons of her treatment, the beliefs and denial of her possession and so on, keeping even these scenes interesting, and quite vital to the things that occur in Emily's scenes. They are also never used for cheap scares, the movie is far above such silly attempts to scare. It mostly keeps the scares in the scenes with Emily, making the courtroom scenes almost a relief at times, since it allows the viewer to reflect on the scenes that happened, and make up his own decisions based on the arguments and evidence further displayed in the courtroom. So, if viewed properly, the movie never really looses the grip, it just switches hands between scaring us, and giving us explanations of what happened.

A visually powerful movie, both in terms of Emily's tortured state of believed possession, and the overall photography, usage of color and closeups, The Exorcism of Emily Rose is not for the faint of heart. There's no gore or blood to speak of at all, and apart from a few visual effects as Emily's world of sanity is falling apart, there's very little CGI to detract from the feeling of reality. Yet, Emily does all the work, her body and face alone. Some of her expressions are so weird in a creepy and wicked way, that when considering she did most of all by her self, makes the whole thing downright nasty.

Yes, the movie is still fiction at heart, but it manages to paint a very chilling and real picture of an actual possession. There's no 360 degree head spinning, pea soup puking or heavy levitation here(Don't get me wrong, it worked in The Exorcist). Only a girl suffering from symptoms that can be either explained with science, or with the Supernatural, and not once does it try to state which of the sides are true, leaving it fully up to the viewer to decide. And even if she wasn't possessed, any illness that would cause her condition are so scary that they leaves us feeling helpless and scared in the end, no matter our personal belief. Easily the most grown up, modern Horror movie for years, that rivals The Exorcist. Where The Exorcist reigns supreme with visual power and sheer terror, The Exorcism of Emily Rose grabs us psychologically, and leaves us trembling with questions about our own lifelong beliefs about good and evil and if something like that could happen to us.

This is a movie that should be seen by all who watched The Exorcist, all horror fans, and even those who thinks that possessions, demons and exorcisms are just bogus. You can convince yourself that there's nothing supernatural about what she went through, the horror that still killed Emily Rose are so gruesome that it takes us all with her and changes us.

Shocks and a plot

Author: damienmuldoon from Ireland
26 November 2005

Any horror film that can manage to revolve itself around a court room drama is worth a look, and this one certainly is. Comparisons with "The Exorcist" will inevitably be made but this is a far more thought provoking film than the 1970s classic. For those wanting to see a gore fest, there are some ugly moments. But if you prefer a good story and real acting, then this film will not disappoint. Exactly the right balance between shocks and plot is struck and there are some genuinely scary moments also. Add to this, a legal battle and the politics of a big law firm, and you have a movie which attempts to keep all the balls in the air.

It is the horror plot and the plight of Emily Rose which engages the audience most though. Her story is told in a series of flashbacks that are never disjointed or abstract. Indeed, it is the realism of her tragic story that is the most frightening thing in the film. It may even make you curious to read up on the true case the film is based upon. Solid and unpretentious performances from Tom Wilkinson as the priest and Laura Linney as his lawyer enhance the realism of the plot and steer it well clear of spoof horror.

My only criticism would be that promising sub-plots end up going nowhere. Don't let this put you off though. "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" is that most rare of things. A good, contemporary horror film.

"Inspired by a true story," but Facts Don't Matter?

Author: time_waster from Tucson, Arizona
12 September 2005

This movie didn't suck, and the acting was great all around. That's about all the good I can say about it. I would have enjoyed it as a halfway-decent thriller or a courtroom drama more if it hadn't claimed to be based on a real story. But when Laura Linney says during trial that "this case is not about facts," that summed up about everything wrong with the religious apologists I've seen in the media lately, from George W. Bush to the Kansas Board of Education. This idea that facts don't matter has poisoned cultural discourse for the last decade or more: some people seem to think that, as long as we have Faith, our negligent fact-checking won't lead to any wrongdoing.

It would be one thing if writer/director Scott Derrickson and co-writer Paul Harris Boardman simply presented the "facts don't matter" tactic as part of the defense's legal strategy, but they add details to the story that try to shore this argument up. To its credit, the story concludes with the priest being found guilty of negligent manslaughter, which is apparently what happened in the real-life case in Germany. Weighing against this are the made-up story details about Linney's and Tom Wilkinson's characters being plagued by evil signs and visions, and the attending physician being killed just as he tells Linney that he sees the demons. Combined with Hollywood pop-psychology ("schizophrenics never know they're schizophrenic"), these would be workable, if clichéd, in a movie that admitted it was solely fiction, but here they serve only as a crutch to prop up the sagging drama and as evidence of the screenwriters' bias.

The acting was excellent, but, not having seen Hellraiser: Inferno, I can't say that this is due to the direction. I do know that Laura Linney has handled herself well before in Mystic River and You Can Count on Me, and Tom Wilkinson was great in In the Bedroom and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind; here, they clearly pick up the slack left by the script. Wilkinson, in particular, plays the best Flawed Holy Avenger since Jason Miller. It is not an easy thing to come up with a convincing character when the story around you is thin, but they manage to do it. Relative newcomer Jennifer Carpenter did fine as Emily, although her role consisted mostly of contorting herself and screaming hysterically. I really felt for her at moments, thinking that, regardless of whether it was demons or psychosis that ailed her, it was horrifying to think what she must have been going through.

That emotional level got me through the movie. The storytelling shortcuts and the intellectual dishonesty grated against me, but I was able to cope with it for the two hours or so that I sat there. If only it hadn't claimed to be based on real events, it could have told a better story, and more honestly.

Horror that scares the crap out of you for realism!

Author: Glenn Mckenzie (glenn@mckenzievoice.com) from United Kingdom
14 December 2013

Someone told me to watch this film and when I watched it I thought "Oh! This isn't so bad!" Thing is because it is based on a true story, you wonder how much of it was true. Even if it was a small part it still makes me wonder could we be possessed like the character or even the real life person who it was based on.

I have watched many scary horror films in my time and many of them to me were comical. I just find comedy in horror (probably because it helps me get through the film a lot easier). I remember watching 'The Exorcist' at age twelve and I think then it was less scary than when I watched it recently. But this film, it kind of sucks you in, you get involved with the characters and then you start to believe the film adaptation of the real life person from this 'based on a true story' story is actually real.

I watched this film on my own and when the film finished it was exactly 3.00 a.m. in the morning which is the part scared me. Let's just say I was sniffing around the house for smoke and checking all the doors and leave it at that. A well crafted film, very real and sure to scare you. If you like films like 'Chainsaw Massacre' then maybe this film may not scare you but if you liked the film 'The Exorcist' then watch this film. And top tip to get the fear factor, watch so that the film finishes at 3.00 a.m. and alone for full effect.

While not a Horror film, still one of the best possession / exorcism films ever!

Author: Nitzan Havoc from Israel
10 May 2013

The only fair way to begin this would be to say that The Exorcism of Emily Rose is an excellent film. It isn't a typical film of the Exorcism sub-genre of Horror, not is it a typical Horror film of any kind. The tagging is quite accurate, it's first and foremost a crime/courtroom film, secondly a drama film, and only finally a Horror film. Although ye be warned, for the Horror bits are just as frightening as they should be.

Based on true events of a woman who supposedly suffered similar occurrences, the screenplay is great. Rather than experiencing the story first hand from the point of view of the possessed or haunted, as we usually do in possession and exorcism films, we are told the story retrospectively as the exorcist priest states his case in court with his defense attorney. The story includes secondary tales of the dynamics between the attorney and the priest, between the attorney and the DA, between the attorney and her boss and regarding the attorney's faith and beliefs. While lacking a good plot twist (probably in order to remain true as possible to the original occasions), the story is good and compelling.

The acting is excellent, professional and convincing. I for one have especially enjoyed the charismatic and energetic Campbell Scott as DA Ethan Thomas, and even more than that - Jennifer Carpenter as possessed Emily Rose. It's not easy playing such a role after decades of "The Exorcist" sequels and other such films, and yet Carpenter has done a terrific job scaring us straight!

The direction is just the way it should be in such a film, combining the aspects of a good courtroom crime film with a good possession/exorcism Horror film. Cinematography is also good but not an emphasized feature here. The soundtrack is actually what let me down a little, as I've expected at least some creepy music fitting a film dealing with supernatural demons.

All in all, I must say that a devout fan of Horror films in general and exorcism films in particular - I've enjoyed every second of this film, and would highly recommend it even to people who aren't Horror fans but like a good crime drama. It's a very rewarding experience, and now having watched it twice I'm sure there will be a third time. Great film!

excellent horror movie

Author: alviansendy from Indonesia
12 March 2013

First of all this was a good movie.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose is based upon a true story, the events that lead up to the death of Emily Rose. The real person who inspired this movie was Anneliese Michel. Emily Rose was a young college student, who believed she was possessed. Her family and her pastor did everything they could to save her. The story wasn't overly predictable. It was a look back on what exactly happened when Emily Rose got possessed and how it ended. the Priest, Father Moore was help by an agnostic lawyer, Erin Bruner and her trying to not only get ahead in her career but convince a journey that medical science could not determine. Emily Rose had a medical condition but a demonic possession. But the prosecutor, Ethan Thomas was a devout catholic and against the priest, Father Moore. The dynamics between the key characters is interesting and well thought out.

A great horror movie

Author: Putri Widiantika W from Indonesia
24 January 2013

This is the first I write here. I am an avid fan of horror films and when I watched "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" 3 days ago, I thought this film contains many secret things. But the film did not scary me but it shocked me. I enjoyed the movie very much. I could not predict the ending of the film. All parts of this film didn't make me bored. And the film is a true story. Many things in this film are alien to me and added my knowledge about medical field. This film can be watched by any age. I would like to comment specifically to the cast who took the role of Emily Rose for her great acting.

I suggest anyone who reads this to watch this film.