IMDb > The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

The Exorcism of Emily Rose More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 53: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

awful

Author: jahwomble from United Kingdom
11 June 2010

The exorcism of Emily Rose,really is an average to pretty mediocre courtroom drama, made worse by the constant and heavy handed introduction of blatant Christian propaganda permeating pretty much every scene. It's one redeeming factor was Jennifer Carpenter's superb performance,her scenes unfortunately were few and far between though, she really worked for her fee here. It felt to me from quite early on that the message about the agnostic lawyer eventually accepting the existence of a god was just really obviously and the whole point of the film. So unless you really want to sit through what feels like hours of pro Christian cinema, don't bother.

Great film.

Author: lain_kro from Mexico
1 May 2013

More than a horror story i find this to be a beautiful film, and a very entertaining story, the part i loved the most was the ending even though the whole story keeps you trying to find out what's going on. I wouldn't recommend this as a horror film, but it's a pretty good thriller and it has some great takes. The court scenes are also part of what makes this a good film, it leaves you waiting for more, and helps you understand the story a bit better. I honestly think the IMDb score doesn't do the film any justice, even if it's not "gore enough" or gore at all, it does have some jumpy scenes.

Besides the ending leaves you with a warm feeling, unlike other "exorcisim" films.

One of the best horror flicks

Author: varghesejunior from India
18 December 2012

This is definitely one of the best horror films I've seen. It's not like he same old conventional routine stuff full of gore and nonsense that they normally make. It's very different.

Story is about an exorcism gone wrong wherein a Priest who did it is convicted of culpable homicide, and gets a atheist lawyer to defend his case, against a society that will not easily believe in the supernatural.

The storyline is fabulous, very different from any either horror film, effects are good, all actors have acted very naturally and smoothly, locales of shooting are good, the whole film manages to crate an eerie atmosphere throughout.

A must watch for horror fans, TEOER will not lave you disappointed.

Just another Christian propaganda schlock

Author: Puffer Bluntman
1 June 2016

The movie doesn't work as a horror movie and it doesn't work as drama.

It's just a bland propaganda vignette that rips off the Exorcist a bit, but not too much - so that the Christian crowd who for some reason came to see this "horror" flick wouldn't be freaked out too much, so none of that satanic puke and definitely no mothers sucking cocks in Hell.

This movie is 1,5 hours of pandering to the American Baptist prosecution complex. The movie leaves no suspense, no place for doubt, it just states straight away: yes, this is supernatural, no question about it, these guys are right, these are wrong.

And portraying lawyers only in the cocktail party setting... my god, could this be any more cringe worthy?

A Horror Movie With Class!

Author: KillerLord
20 September 2008

Most horror movies are designed to be cheap thrillers. The usual rise of the evil followed by an apparent demise! But time and now comes a movie that weaves the genres of horror and drama so beautifully that our notion of the horror genre is proved wrong. This movie stands out in that class along with The Exorcist, The Ring, Shutter, etc. This movie is not just another horror movie but has a significant element of thought, drama and emotion.

The movie is based on a true story about Emily Rose who suffered from the symptoms of possession. A major part of the movie takes place in the courtroom where Father Moore, who carried out the exorcism of Emily Rose has been charged with negligent homicide. The battle explores the incident as recollections by the witnesses. The horror and supernatural element of the movie comes in as the witnesses describe the events of how Emily started feeling an alien force taking control of her. And how well handled is this, you will surely appreciate when you see this movie. No blood and gore! No unnecessary violence. Simple yet effective shots that do enough to scare you and yet not nauseate you so that your mind does not get distracted from the interesting debate on faith, superstition and science that is unfolding itself in the courtroom.

The whole debate in the courtroom really brings out the role of faith in our lives. Be it the opinion of a religious leader or that of a medical professional, the eventual outcome of a treatment rests on faith. The common man has to show faith both in the religious advice doled out by the priests and also on the medical advice. One may argue that the medical advice was given based on scientific evidence. But who has seen the evidence? The professionals alone! They have an understanding and an experience based on which they give their opinion. But who can say that religious leaders are wrong? They can also argue that they have trained themselves to experience the things they talk about. This sort of sums up how the courtroom debate revolves around the issue of faith.

The movie moves forward in a controlled fashion. It does not try to be too scary and neither does it try to work without a base and a plot. It combines both in an optimum way and keeps the movie viewer interested. In my opinion, it is among the most intelligently done movies in the horror/exorcism genre.

A story well told, leaving much 'food for thought'.

Author: janinamousley from Australia
18 November 2005

If one is a Christian, one cannot deny the existence of Satan. During Christ's own earthly ministry, 2,000 years ago, He drove out demons from those possessed by them and gave His authority to His Apostles to do the same. This same ministry has been passed on to their successors through the Catholic Church. We Catholics believe that Jesus Christ is true God, as well as true Man, and He did not lie about Satan or trivialize his influence. Nothing Jesus Christ did or instructed His Apostles to do was irrelevant or unimportant. So it is no surprise that the priest in the film treats demonic possession very seriously, discerns it carefully, and then performs the rite of exorcism, as do other priests in the Catholic Church, who have been given this authority. Though this action is in response to Christ's command, it is not an easy thing for anyone involved. The film shows the seriousness of the matter, the terror experienced by the person possessed, the natural fear and concern of the priest, the family and any other witnesses. One is asked to judge for oneself whether such a thing really occurred or does occur, as we listen to the eyewitnesses, and like the jury called in the court we cannot help but consider whether the priest was negligent and the young woman misdiagnosed. We are all faced with the question.... whether this really happened. Yet we are told that this is a true story, and it is very simply, but well told. If we believe it, it confirms that even in our modern times, Jesus Christ's ministry of exorcism is needed and available to us in 2005 and His love for us, and for Emily, transcends what appears to be human defeat. See this film, whether you are a Christian or not.

Not the way you would expect it to be, but just as good

Author: Laurentiu Stan from Edinburgh
12 November 2005

This is not the first movie where Laura Linney is a lawyer involved in a trial concerning the Church and members of it. Yes it might not be as good as Primal Fear, but maybe it is , maybe it's much better or just as good. The one thing you should know is that, in my opinion, this movie is worth watching. You can find in "The exorcism of Emily Rose" good directing, wonderful acting and a decent screenplay. Besides, Laura Linney looks terrific....I think she looks better and better each day. Anyway, to conclude, this is a good Sunday evening movie, so if you get the chance, take your time and watch it.It's worth it! PS:Don't look for Richard Gere here, you won't find him

Beautiful film

Author: Alice Wylie (aliikay) from United Kingdom
7 March 2012

Amazing story, had my eyes glued to the screen waiting to see the verdict of Father Moore; Really worth watching, not gory. Based on a true story which makes it scarier; Held my friends hand at one point, buy it on DVD. I rate it 10/10. I can watch this over and over and it will still be as magical, i was thinking of using a Ouija board with my friend Emily and i'm called Alice, with brown eyes and ginger hair. Put me off, aha. No but seriously, changes your view on the devil and messing with him. Also didn't watch it in one night, woke up early in the morning, couldn't check the clock in case it was 3am. Spooky. Overall, a great film and really worth your time and money, not the scariest i've seen but definitely gives you chills.

Finally, a grown up, modern horror drama movie about Exorcism.

Author: Odd Magne (oddsnake@hotmail.com) from Southern Sweden
12 December 2005

Still ruling on the throne as the best Exorcism movie ever, The Exorcist has now finally gotten a rival that will be remembered for a long time. The Exorcism of Emily Rose is a haunting movie that shakes the very foundations of our beliefs, and forces us to ask the very same questions that the jury in the movie is faced with.

Based on a true story, The Exorcism of Emily Rose takes place in modern time, when a girl has died after being subjected to Exorcism by Father Moore. Moore is put on trial, charged with neglecting Emily's medical need, forcing his view that Exorcism was the only way to cure her. The lawyer Erin Bruner gets on the case to defend the Priest, and along the way she'll start to face her own demons, question her faith and fight for something she's not sure about.

The star of the show is Emily Rose. As her normal self, she's a sweet girl, but just like Regan in The Exorcist, she masters the sides of good and evil as she turns over to the dark side once the possessions begin. Her face distorts, her body twists into unbelievable positions, she becomes incredibly violent and dangerous. While her looks are never as gruesome as Regan in The Exorcist, they're much more real, which serves the movie well.

The movie presents us with situations, unexplainable, yet backed up with enough visual proof to convince us that what were seeing, was an actual possession, while it then proceeds to question our decision with lots of reasons and explanations for why it's impossible, and backs it up with scientific explanations to confirm this. Yet, it leaves both camps open, although it slightly tilts over into the "Possessed" side. Not so much that it becomes biased towards one side, but probably in order to create reasonable arguments that she was possessed, since arguably, the medical and scientific side is very powerful and believable in the movie. If the visual signs of her possessions hadn't been so dominant in the movie, it would have been much harder to create the wanted effect on the audience. Yet for all her behavior and changes, she still remains human, her voice, eyes, body movement and so on are still explained in a scientific way, making it possible to say "She was not possessed" based on the movie. Personally, I like to think that she was possessed, but the movie does such a great job of making both sides convincing that I'd accept both possibilities.

Much of the movie doesn't actually take place with Emily, rather it deals with the events in and out of the courtroom, in the trial. Some of these scenes drags a little bit, but not so much so they become boring. They still focus on Emily, the Pros and Cons of her treatment, the beliefs and denial of her possession and so on, keeping even these scenes interesting, and quite vital to the things that occur in Emily's scenes. They are also never used for cheap scares, the movie is far above such silly attempts to scare. It mostly keeps the scares in the scenes with Emily, making the courtroom scenes almost a relief at times, since it allows the viewer to reflect on the scenes that happened, and make up his own decisions based on the arguments and evidence further displayed in the courtroom. So, if viewed properly, the movie never really looses the grip, it just switches hands between scaring us, and giving us explanations of what happened.

A visually powerful movie, both in terms of Emily's tortured state of believed possession, and the overall photography, usage of color and closeups, The Exorcism of Emily Rose is not for the faint of heart. There's no gore or blood to speak of at all, and apart from a few visual effects as Emily's world of sanity is falling apart, there's very little CGI to detract from the feeling of reality. Yet, Emily does all the work, her body and face alone. Some of her expressions are so weird in a creepy and wicked way, that when considering she did most of all by her self, makes the whole thing downright nasty.

Yes, the movie is still fiction at heart, but it manages to paint a very chilling and real picture of an actual possession. There's no 360 degree head spinning, pea soup puking or heavy levitation here(Don't get me wrong, it worked in The Exorcist). Only a girl suffering from symptoms that can be either explained with science, or with the Supernatural, and not once does it try to state which of the sides are true, leaving it fully up to the viewer to decide. And even if she wasn't possessed, any illness that would cause her condition are so scary that they leaves us feeling helpless and scared in the end, no matter our personal belief. Easily the most grown up, modern Horror movie for years, that rivals The Exorcist. Where The Exorcist reigns supreme with visual power and sheer terror, The Exorcism of Emily Rose grabs us psychologically, and leaves us trembling with questions about our own lifelong beliefs about good and evil and if something like that could happen to us.

This is a movie that should be seen by all who watched The Exorcist, all horror fans, and even those who thinks that possessions, demons and exorcisms are just bogus. You can convince yourself that there's nothing supernatural about what she went through, the horror that still killed Emily Rose are so gruesome that it takes us all with her and changes us.

Shocks and a plot

Author: damienmuldoon from Ireland
26 November 2005

Any horror film that can manage to revolve itself around a court room drama is worth a look, and this one certainly is. Comparisons with "The Exorcist" will inevitably be made but this is a far more thought provoking film than the 1970s classic. For those wanting to see a gore fest, there are some ugly moments. But if you prefer a good story and real acting, then this film will not disappoint. Exactly the right balance between shocks and plot is struck and there are some genuinely scary moments also. Add to this, a legal battle and the politics of a big law firm, and you have a movie which attempts to keep all the balls in the air.

It is the horror plot and the plight of Emily Rose which engages the audience most though. Her story is told in a series of flashbacks that are never disjointed or abstract. Indeed, it is the realism of her tragic story that is the most frightening thing in the film. It may even make you curious to read up on the true case the film is based upon. Solid and unpretentious performances from Tom Wilkinson as the priest and Laura Linney as his lawyer enhance the realism of the plot and steer it well clear of spoof horror.

My only criticism would be that promising sub-plots end up going nowhere. Don't let this put you off though. "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" is that most rare of things. A good, contemporary horror film.