IMDb > The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

The Exorcism of Emily Rose More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 52: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A Genre Bending Hit!

Author: Chris Smith (RockPortReview) from United States
3 December 2012

This movie is based on the true story of Anneliese Michel who died during an exorcism performed in Germany in the late 1960s and the trial of the priest who was accused of her murder. Some details have been changed for the movie but the heart of the story remains Science takes on religion in a gripping court room throw down.

Starring Jennifer Carpenter, now of "Dexter" fame, as Emily Rose a smart and centered farm girl who goes off to college only to be either suffering from a number of medical conditions or possessed by demonic spirits. This movie is stocked with a roster of very accomplished actors such as Tom Wilkinson as the accused Father Moore, Laura Linney as his attorney, and Campbell Scott as the prosecutor. The story is centered on the trial of Father Moore and uses flashbacks to tell the story of Emily Rose and the circumstances surrounding her death.

The prosecution contends that Emily was suffering from something called psychotic epileptic disorder. Which would explain her hallucinations, her trance like states, and violent seizures. While Father Moore is a loving and caring priest with a perfect record did he willing put Emily at risk by ignoring her possible medical conditions and relying of faith alone? Father Moore does tell Emily to stop taking her medications because it clouds the mind and prevents the exorcism from working. When Emily dies the official cause of death is dehydration and malnutrition.

Defense attorney Erin Bruner takes the case with the promise that she will be made a full partner at her firm. She is coming off a huge win in which she got off a another murder suspect. She meets up with Father Moore in prison an he refuses to take a plea deal, wanting it to go to trail to tell Emily's story (good thing or there wouldn't be a movie). Erin lives alone and after taking the case strange things start to happen every night at 3 am, the witching hour, leaving her to start examining her faith.

The story investigates both sides of the case and each do have very good arguments. Science has been batting religion since the beginning of time and this movie doesn't give any easy answers. The acting is top notch and takes the issues seriously. It all depends on what you believe and goes to the core of faith itself. It is one of the better movies out there on the subject of demonic possession. It does have a lot of good scares and is loaded with a creepy and ominous feel. "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" is widely available on all formats and is a great watch so check it out!

Intense, unbiased and compelling.

Author: Rameshwar IN from India
9 September 2012

An excellent combination of courtroom drama surrounding the exorcism ritual and the supernatural forces along with equally potent acting. If observed closely, it is an unbiased portray of religious beliefs, superstitions, existence of God and Devil and the position of science on all this. Being based on a true story makes it more dramatic.

The story is based on court trial where an ambitious lawyer Erin (Laura Linney) is defending the priest (Tom Wilkinson) who performed exorcism on Emily Rose (Jennifer Carpenter) - a young, high spirited devout catholic. State charges the priest of negligence that led to Emily's demise, but he is ready to face and share the truth to the public on what actually transpired.

What I liked most is that it is all left to perspective of different people how they perceive supernatural existence. On the account of the priest, Rose's family and Emily herself - the devil, the magic and the visuals are vivid. But on the accounts of those who are skeptical, the manifestations are purely coincidental which leaves the witness to perceive what they want to believe. When it comes to performances, they are convincing and apt. The exorcism and possession scenes are short and intense. Jennifer Carpenter's portrayal of Emily Rose converting from a young sweet girl full of life to a person suffering unbearable pain both physical and psychological is quite brilliant considering I would have never given her a chance from what I had seen her as Debra Morgan in Dexter. Not so much gore or visual gimmicks or cheap thrills. Screenplay and editing is at times could have been a little more smoother and the end need not have lingered on for too long.

Intense, unbiased and compelling.

Absorbing and Shocking!

Author: vera-bishop from Canada
24 March 2012

"Emily Rose" was a great and powerful film.

It was a great idea to center the film around the court case, rather than going for a straight horror approach. The whole medical explanation vs spiritual explanation debate of the case is what makes the film so entertaining. And they leave it open ended, as both sides plead their case very well, leaving some audience members convinced of one, others convinced of the other.

Regardless, it gets the audience thinking, examining, exploring the possibilities available. Very well done. Great script, great visually, great sound. Very very well done. Strong performances by Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson (who even looks like a priest), Jennifer Carpenter, Campbell Scott, and Duncan Fraser. I really enjoyed this film. One of the most gripping and entertaining films of the year, by far. It keeps you on the edge of your seat, guessing who's going to win the trial, as the momentum sways back and forth. I highly recommend seeing this film. In a year of terrible films, this one has few peers.

Pleasantly surprised

Author: adtjoel from United Kingdom
20 March 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this film and would recommend it. I wasn't expecting a lot based on the IMDb score of 6.9 and the fact I had never heard of it - but it was well worth watching.

The movie plot revolves a round a young woman going to college and coming back seemingly possessed.

There are elements of a courtroom drama about this but I would say this is a suspense thriller rather than a horror. It was fairly scary in places (which a lot of supposed horror movies aren't) and wasn't boring or predictable. The movie was quite well paced, every time you thought it might get a bit dull we saw some more spooky goings-on!

The dynamics between the key characters (particularly the defense lawyer and priest) is interesting and well thought out.

A Smart and Well Crafted Scary Film

Author: michael-colan from United States
7 March 2012

I think ever since the Exorcist came out in 1973 the exorcism sub-genre has been struggling with few good films. Some of it's due to the fact that every single exorcism film will be unfairly compared with the '73 classic. Some of the other reasons are that they really were a bad film. Other reasons is devoted atheists will more than likely shoot the film down just because of the film's subject matter and having heavily to do with the Christian faith. But they will be able to enjoy Paranormal Activity (another sort of demon type movie) because it's not religiously heavy handed. So in short if you are one of those people who can't enjoy the film because of your faith then don't watch it, this is clearly not your type of film. Other people who regardless of their faith are willing to accept the film and watch it for what it then you will enjoy. For this is the smartest and by far the scariest exorcism film to come out since the original classic.

The film is about a lawyer that takes the defense of the priest (in the wake of his trail) who performed an exorcism on a girl named Emily Rose.

The story is told in a much different way they many other films. This is a film told in flashbacks, everything is being told from a court room. So as witnesses testify we are given glimpses of what happen to this seemingly normal girl. The film fills the screen with so much symbolism that you can pick out throughout the film that clearly foreshadows where the scene is going. As we watch helplessly seeing this girl being tortured by the demons inside of her. Every time we flashback we have a feeling of dread that comes over us and will want to look away because we will be afraid of what we might see. And the film does this to great affect but and we can feel a little safer again in the court room where we can let out a big gulp of air. But soon once we leave the court room we start feeling unsafe again as the priest named Father Moore warns the lawyer named Erin Burner that there are dark forces surrounding this trial. So once again we are freighted almost anywhere you go and even when you get back to the court room you know that you are going to another place that you don't want to go and when a film does that and pins you in this almost trap then it's done a great job.

The scene of the exorcism is fantastically well done. It's a very memorable scene and everything strikes the right cord of horror. Even within the realms of a PG-13 rating they get a lot of scary and graphic in nature stuff filmed. From the cracking bones to the voice to Emily Rose chanting the numbers 1-6, this is a spine tingling scene.

But the film is all about scares in the dark there are some deep meaningful conversations throughout the film. Most importantly between Father Moore and Erin Burner and it's not always about the case they talk about some really good topics and the deepest of them are the questions of faith. These conversations will get you to think about yourself a little. It's not in your face about anything but this talks don't back down from saying certain things which I really like.

But however everything is not as perfect as it seems. One of the things is that we never really got to know Emily Rose at all. It never goes into much detail over her past of personality other than just saying that she was a good girl that is going off to college. I think the film would have been that much better if we really got to know who this person is because we would be a lot more connected to the person that is possessed and would have made it more connectible I would say. And also the problem with setting this as a flashback we already know what happens to the girl. This wouldn't be a problem if we knew the girl better so it would make us helpless watch this girl suffer and know her faith and simply can't do a thing about it. But instead it just goes here you the ending and here is right happened to her. Don't get me wrong the story is strong but it would have been so much stronger if we knew Emily Rose better.

Director/screenwriter Scott Derrickson fills the screen with good art direction and good symbolism and is did a good job with the film. He shoots the film with great attention to detail and the symbolism is really good too. The 3:00 A.M. with forever frighten me and especially if I smell something burning. The face in the clouds and the rain it was done just right. Maybe he could have made the film longer for this would benefit the transformation of Emily Rose more but for what it is he did a great job.

The musical score by Christopher Young is also really good. It gives a very haunting and thrilling score throughout. It's not really memorable or a masterpiece but it still is very well done.

The acting is top notch too. Tom Wilkinson plays Father Moore perfectly and gives a fantastic performance like he always does. It should have been up for academy award consideration but unfortunately it wasn't. Laura Linney gives a very good performance as the lawyer Erin Burner. Jennifer Carpenter was really good as Emily Rose. As is Campbell Scott and everyone else in the cast this cast and they deliver on all notes.

The Bottom Line is this is a smart; scary exorcism film that while is not perfect is very good.

Final Score

7.5/10

Not very impressive as a suspense movie

Author: rsilverst from Seattle, WA
28 December 2005

This movie did not have a lot that impressed me about it. The acting is not particularly good. It constantly feels like a television show rather than a movie. I kept thinking I was watching "Law and Order". The first half of the movie is a bit scary, but it was mostly the use of sound effects that made it scary. I know that many horror/suspense movies use auditory stimuli to heighten the fear response - but it was very transparent in this movie. In a better executed film, you don't notice that it's just the sound that is scary.

The movie ceases to be scary somewhere in the middle, and then it's just silly and lame. The biggest problem I have with it is that while it claims to be a "true story", I think that's a pretty subjective statement. Maybe the "story" is based on a story that has been told about a real-life situation, but I have little doubt in my mind that demonic possession is nonsense. The girl was psychotic, and that's that :) The movie ended up seeming a bit like a sales pitch for Christianity, which bothered me as well. All in all, a weak film. I'm surprised it got so many stars as it did.

By the book courtroom drama

Author: F_Jenkins from la
26 December 2005

**SPOILERS** It starts off really well and you really get the sense of a VERDICT meets THE EXORCIST. But as the movie progresses and we get into the courtroom, it becomes a by-the-numbers courtroom drama, so clichéd and predictable you'll find yourself screaming at the screen.

Little tip: when you get a star witness who appears midway through the trial, and his testimony is all you need to ensure a victory for your case, your first question should be "when does he die and how?" When this guy shows up in this movie, my only thought was it would just be too predictable to have him die, so how are they going to do this? Maybe some new twist we've never seen in a courtroom movie. But alas, his death and every other aspect of the trial is so clichéd and all been done before, it's astonishing this script was greenlighted.

What's even worse is the end, when the it goes from being a courtroom movie to an SCTV episode, where the jurors start chiming in with their own ideas of punishment. It actually becomes funny.

This could have been a pretty good film, but was ruined by old, stock, courtroom baloney and I'm sure anyone in the legal profession who watched it probably cracked up.

The other thing I hated about this film was "based on a true story." Any supernatural movie or monster movie that has "based on a true story" loses any credibility. Of course, if there had been a real exorcism like this and this trial had happened, it would have been huge news. Now I understand there were events in the movie that did happen, but it's like saying I have a movie based on a guy named Joe Johnson who fought off aliens. Turns out the "true" part was there was once a guy named Joe Johnson. Enough with the "based on a true story" monster movies.

Trial by Movie

Author: tedg (tedg@FilmsFolded.com) from Virginia Beach
19 August 2007

I liked the idea of this a whole lot.

Laura Linney was at the edge of her competence here, but she's close.

The idea is simple. We have the courtroom movie. Its a form that allows nesting or folding of stories in various ways. Its been extended in all sorts of ways, including Kurosawa and Christie. Why not extend it so that the story within is another movie genre?

Why not? And then flatten it into a set of questions about reality, the stories we make in reality. Its a movie where he folks in the movie look at us and wonder what makes a true story. In the film, the question is whether the priest is true about this girl being possessed, a story that has been fabricated over thousands of years. Or whether "common sense" tells you otherwise.

Outside the movie, the reflection is on the relevance of story at all. And why would we willingly choose story over "truth" anyway? We often do, even when the story is that we are not.

Unfortunately, the filmmaker once again had bigger ideas than he had skill.

But its a noble idea nonetheless.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.

lost in the court

Author: nobbytatoes from Australia
4 November 2005

Emily Rose has died. She believed to be possessed by demons and sought out help from father Moore. After her death he is charged with criminal negligence. Taking up Moore's case is Erin Bruner; know for winning hard to win cases. She isn't really religious, but starts to feel an unknown presence when she takes the case. During the court room and through conversation with people, we are taken back to see what happened to Emily and how it came to her death.

When making a film about exorcism, it is a hard subject to tackle. Not many movies have really succeeded with the area well. When in concept you think of adding a court room drama into the horror style nature of the subject of exorcism, it becomes quite interesting. Though when it plays out, it doesn't really make it any better. When we are in the court room, it the down point of the movie, as it detracts from the main idea, what really happened to Emily. Though in the flash backs we see what did happened, but it needed more to it. They should have focused more upon Emily and her tragedy, the fight against God and the Devil, not the fight between lawyers.

There are some good intense moments. When Emily is first attacked in her room and when Erin experiences a similar event are very well done. The demonic faces that Emily see are disturbing, and Emily's body contorts are equally disturbing, but they are kept to a minimum. They needed more of these scenes to keep the suspense up. The exorcism is done good to, it initially seemed flat as the court room, but picks up when they are in the barn, it really gets going then. But its short lived, should have been a lot more to it.

Though it doesn't reach the level of horror or drama it was wanting, its still an interesting watch. It's about time they left the topic of exorcism alone.

Science vs. Religion

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
22 September 2006

The nineteen years old Catholic college girl Emily Rose (Jennifer Carpenter) dies a couple of days after being submitted to an exorcism carried out by her parish priest, Father Moore (Tom Wilkinson). Emily believed she was possessed by six demons, and although authorized by Emily and he parents, Father Moore is accused of negligent homicide, since he had suggested Emily to interrupt the use of medications for epilepsy. In order to avoid a scandal, the Archdiocese hires the successful, ambitious and agnostic lawyer Erin Bruner (Laura Linney), and the prosecution assigns the religious prosecutor Ethan Thomas (Campbell Scott). Along the days, there is a battle between science and religion in the court.

"The Exorcism of Emily Rose" was a great surprise for me. Based on a true event, I was expecting a horror movie like "The Exorcist", but actually it is a great story of trial, with the confrontation of science and religion, but with an agnostic lawyer defending and a religious one accusing a priest. The story is leaded by Erin, and her contact with the unknown and her final speech are some of the great moments of this film. Among the scariest parts are Dr. Cartwright (Duncan Fraser) saying that he started praying again since he had witnessed the exorcism, and when the priest explains that 3 AM is the demoniac witching hour. The direction of Scott Derrickson is excellent, using special effects only when necessary, and very well supported by a magnificent cast, leaded by the wonderful Laura Linney and the great Tom Wilkinson, followed by the unknown Jennifer Carpenter, who is great in the role of Emily Rose, Campbell Scott and Colm Feore. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "O Exorcismo de Emily Rose" ("The Exorcism of Emily Rose")