IMDb > The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Smart, funny and real...

Author: elispaul from Oregon
2 June 2005

I went to see this movie with my wife and, upon entering the theater, immediately became uncomfortable. There was only one other man at the screening and he was obviously feeling a little out of place as well (although he seemed relieved to see me walk in). I was expecting a teen soap opera, but what the movie delivered was quite different. This movie is more like a modern-times "Little Women" or a teen girl version of "Dead Poets Society". In other words, it's something that I haven't seen any sign of for decades....an intelligent drama aimed at teenage girls. My response to seeing this movie was similar to how i felt after seeing "Babe". I know this is an odd comparison, but both were thoughtful, intelligent movies aimed at a target audience that is usually fed cinematic rubbish. The elements of good film-making are on full display here. Strong acting, sure-handled directing, terrific writing....everything that makes a movie great. If you are a teenage girl or have one in your life, this is an absolutely must-see movie. If you don't, you'll still have a good time.

Seven in Pants, a Ten in Movies

Author: mrgccc3 from United States
5 June 2005

This weekend, for my sisters 16th birthday, I ventured out with my father, mother and of course sister to see a movie. When we arrived at the theater I was briefed on which movie we were going to see, without a doubt thinking it would be some new action packed thriller that my dad, always forced my mom and sister to. I had no clue that we were going to see the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

The worst part of the movie was forcing myself into a theater where I was one of about 6 guys. The rest of the seats were packed with girls of all ages, older women, teens, mothers, college grads, you name it. One would have thought Brad Pitt was making announcement before the show began. In case you didn't know all girls are obsessed with him, especially the ones who deny it.

Anyways the movie began and before I knew it my eyes were glued to the screen. Next thing I knew I was crying, my mom was crying, my sister was crying, and even my dad was crying. I looked around the room and noticed that every girl was sobbing, and of course you know when your watching an amazing movie when it causes such emotion. When it changes the way you feel and enlightens you in unbelievable ways.

So the moral of the story: All the women out there grab your girlfriends, or better yet your husbands, boyfriends, or whomever and drag them to this film, they will say they'll hate it, but they will love it!

You will care for each girl.

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
29 May 2005

The only magic realism in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is the one, one-size-fits-all pair of jeans worn the four female friends, whose summer adventures bring a dose of realism magical only for the insights into life, the pain and pleasure that come in from age seventeen to the end. As a coming-of-age film, this ranks with the best of them for non-condescending, adult-like perceptions, with nary a "like" in the girls' vocabulary.

Two of these lifelong chums have summer romances that transcend the usual sun and sand trifles; the other two deal with even more substantial challenges, ones that involve connecting with family or friends after years of disconnection. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants offers no easy solutions to questions about openness, sexuality, parental neglect, and death. Rather each girl has an epiphany that grows naturally out of the frustrations accompanying inexperience and immaturity.

Love on a Greek island while riding a scooter like Audrey Hepburn through the streets of Rome demands confronting the intrusions of family reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet; love on a beach in Mexico unleashes longing for a parent that goes beyond a beautiful boy; a new life for a parent means the death of an old one for a child; and teen alienation turns to acceptance and even love through the magic of a new friend.

None of these realistic setups for teen enlightenment can make an engaging film unless the actresses are believable, and in Sisterhood each young woman carries her role with deftness and sincerity sometimes not found in the most seasoned actresses. Special recognition should be given to Jenna Boyd as 12-year old Bailey, who believably transforms one teen from misogynist to humanist. This little actress has the chops to win the Oscar someday.

The ten rules of the sisterhood are dominated by the logistical one that states, "You must pass the pants along to your sisters according to the specifications set down by the Sisterhood." FedEx does the delivery; the girls supply the specific adventures that echo the anguish and resilience of being a teen in a society that sometimes doesn't care. You will care for each girl; I guarantee it as if it were a pair of Levis, sturdy and malleable, sexy and comfortable. Come to think of it—that's Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

a Truly Moving Picture

Author: tollini from United States
31 May 2005

I saw this film in Indianapolis in early May before the official theatrical release. I am one of the judges for the Heartland Film Festival that screens films for their Truly Moving Picture Award. A Truly Moving Picture "...explores the human journey by artistically expressing hope and respect for the positive values of life." Heartland gave that award to this film.

The sisterhood consists of four teenage girls. And each of the girls are special. They are each intelligent and introspective. And they take the important things in their lives in a mature, serious way. These important things include their personal lives, their personal development, their families, and the history of their families.

And the sisterhood is special too. Not because of the "trick" of the one pair of pants fitting four physically different girls, but because the girls care for each other and supply support for each other in a mature way that takes most of us decades to learn. They are there for each other for no ulterior motive. They help each other because there is a goodness and wisdom and healthiness in helping another human being.

The four girls are equals in this movie. Not only are they equal in terms of their importance to each other, but also in time in front of the camera. This is not a star vehicle for one of these young actresses. Their relationship is the star of this movie.

FYI - There is a Truly Moving Picture web site where there is a listing of past winners going back 70 years.

Breaking the trend.

Author: Josh_Molinero from Canada
21 May 2005

Originally I had to read this book as part of my job reviewing fiction that is aimed at teens through young adults. The most recent trend I've noticed is the current uprise in books that talk about the real B****es of the high school world. The sex scandals, the drug busts, the foul mouthed youth...I'm only twenty and books like these have me saying "What's with those kids today" This book wasn't about that. It was about something really admirable that I would hope to read more of, an honest friendship. Plus it was well written to the point I was *EAGER* to finish it. (A note to those who haven't read...the audio book is one of the best read I've heard in ages and is worse the listen, it has the same actress as the initial trailer announcer) So I became a fan of the book and have been following this movie ever since, and as a fan I have to say that their are elements I would have liked to see in the movie, but the cut (or at least the cut at the screening) was lengthy but appropriate and did the best I think they could have to capture the book.

The real heart of this movie though is between the chemistry of the main actresses. Most of them are playing parts a good five to six years under their actual age, and yes they don't all fit the images I had in the book...but it's what they present that shows off. I think it's the added and personal experience these girls have had to go through in real life, mostly from age and experience that helps them to really develop these characters. I admire these girls friendships and connections, and at the same time I envy them...and even further on, it's seems a little too hopeful for it's own good. The world would be a better place if people could hold on like these girls do, through thick and thin, death and marriage.

Still, this movie is an excellent movie for teen audiences, and it has a lot more depth than recent fluffbits based on novels and old stories (See Ice Princess, A Cinderella Story, Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, etc.) It also has enough older audience humor to relate to all ages, but not to the dark (albeit funny...in a twisted sort of way) point of popular hits such as Meangirls. Personally I think it would have done better to have been released around mothers day as it's a movie definitely targeted at the female group. Mom's...you'll like this, because it's not quite to the sappy point of the notebook and retains a lot of good-natured humor. (at the same time you may not because it does discuss some teen issues...and it might insight conversations with the offspring) As a guy though...I still think it was pretty damn funny, in a heartfelt sort of way.

Movie is good, doesn't follow the book

Author: GOPACKGO from Appleton, WI
4 June 2005

My 10 year old daughter and I went to see this yesterday. I haven't read the books, but she has. We had mixed reviews...I enjoyed the movie but Elizabeth was terribly disappointed. She kept whispering "Mom, that's not in the book"..."that didn't happen that way"...and apparently some pretty major discrepancies exist.

Because I didn't have any plot expectations. I thought the movie was well done. The characters were believable, the acting was great, the topics were handled in a manner that was suitable for my pre-teen to watch. The comments I overheard from the other audience members (99% teenage girls at this Friday matinée!) were positive.

My rating is a combination of my score (8 or 9) and her score (4 or 5). So just a word of caution...if you expect the move to follow the book, you may be disappointed.

True to the Feel of the Book

Author: Barbara from Minnesota, USA
9 June 2005

We often have expectations that a movie will follow a book to the letter. Due to time limitations, creative ideas, etc. the film makers often need to adjust the story from the book to fit the film. As a lover of both books and film I ask that those who turn a book into a film follow the spirit and the feeling of the book. I believe the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants director and screenwriters did just that.

Basically the book tells the story of 4 teenage girls who are experiencing their first summer apart ever, since they have known each other since birth. Unbelievably, they find a pair of jeans which fits each girl amazingly well, although they have very different body shapes. They take this to mean the pants hold some sort of magic, so promise to send the pants to each other throughout the summer and use it as a way of keeping in touch with each other (thus - the traveling pants). The pants are sent from Tibby (staying at home) to Bridget (in Baja California, Mexico at Soccer camp) to Carmen (with her father in North Carolina) to Lena (visiting her grandparents in Greece).

Three of the story lines are very true to the book, although with slight variations. Tibby's storyline is almost a perfect match to the book, Bridget's is close, and Carmen's is slightly varied showing her in a less mature light than in the book. Lena's story, on the other hand, is told completely in reverse of the book. However, I can understand the need to make this change, as the twists and turns of Lena's story in the book would have been difficult to project onto film. The end result: the girls experience the same issues in the movie as they did in the book, and they change in the way the book indicated. The "feel" of the movie is the same as that in the book.

This film is truly a coming of age story about young high school girls. It is beautifully filmed with lovely scenery from both Greece and Mexico. The actors portraying the young girls are very well cast and match the descriptions from the book. As a librarian, I can tell you that no movie can ever equal the movie you make in your head while you are reading a book. But, this movie is beautiful in its own right, and a lovely story of growing up female and experiencing love, passion, death, and disappointment. The girls learn that the love and friendship they share will help them to get through all the issues of growing up.

Great Movie...

Author: StarWarsRcksMyWrld from United States
3 June 2005

You know how sometimes when you go to the movies and you wonder if the movie you are seeing will be worth your money? Well, this movie was definitely worth my money and maybe even more so. "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" was a great movie, quite possibly one of the best that will come out this year because of--among other things--the friendship it upholds, and I highly recommend it. There should be more movies out there like this, that show that no matter what, your friends truly matter. This movie teaches us that we should make sure that we have friendships like the sisterhood, and if we don't, we should do everything in our power to make all of our relationships with others stronger to last through anything that could happen.

Interesting adaptation

Author: bluemidnight from Tallahassee, Fl
13 May 2005

For starters, i have to admit that i'm 21 and really enjoy the books (all 3 of them). Because of that i was pretty excited to see the film, even though i know it couldn't live up to the book. Sadly, i was correct.

The acting was actually quite good, as was the casting. The only character i didn't like the casting choice, regardless of the fact that she did a fine job, was Tibby. Tibby, in the book, is described as small, meek, and undeveloped. She didn't look/act that way, really.

The stories themselves were decent. Carmen and Bridget's were almost dead on (minus the fact that they left out a vital scene in the end of Bridget's). Tibby's pretty accurate, but they left out a whole lot. Lena's was completely changed, which i didn't understand why they did.

It's a teen chick flick so you expect insane cheesy moments. And the film is full of them. The soundtrack was horrible, in my opinion, making the film even more ridiculous at times. There were laugh out loud parts that probably shouldn't have been that funny.

I think if you're a 12-15 year old girl, this movie is great for you (or if you like teen chick flicks). It covers the crucial topics addressed in the book, but lacks the depth Brashares originally had. I suggest seeing it just to see it, but don't expect too much.

Also, if you're a guy, stay away. There were maximum 10 guys in the theatre when i saw it and each one looked 1/2 dead in the end.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Author: Gionnij from United States
6 May 2005

This movie seems to have spunk, mixed in with drama and comedy. For anyone who reads the books, this movie will probably not disappoint you. With a great cast, this is the perfect chick flick for anyone who feels like laughing, crying, or to just have a good movie experience. It is also the perfect date movie. For any couple who just feels like seeing a great movie to sit back and to great ready to laugh and cry. This movie is also a perfect combination of comedy and drama as well as a perfect movie to see with a bunch of friends. See this movie on a free Saturday. Grab the popcorn, the soda, and the candy. Get ready for a fun movie experience that will surely not disappoint, only enlighten. So everyone, if there is one movie you must see, make sure this movie is at the top of your list.

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]