IMDb > Roll Bounce (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Exactly as Advertised!

Author: candy_flesh from Panama City Beach, FL
8 October 2005

We saw Roll Bounce this afternoon. It was exactly what I expected it to be. A predictable, exaggerated, silly, corny, inauthentic 70's nostalgia-fest.

We loved it! Seriously, it's probably in our top five for the year thus far. It was so much fun. Even the dramatic, serious moments were good and not laughable. My husband said afterwards he was thinking how funny it was that an emotional scene in an otherwise fluffy, insubstantial feel-good movie could evoke more feeling in him than all two hours of The Constant Gardener, for example.

Anyhow, we've both been a good mood ever since, we just had a great time at the movies. It was nice to see a good, clean, wholesome family movie that doesn't suck.

Take your family!

Author: jacksmom-1 from United States
25 September 2005

In this world of violence and rage, I found this movie a nice return to a simpler time. I was 15 in 1978 and skated a few times a week. I wish the rink I went to was as fun as these, but the nostalgia was great. I see a lot of films that put me to sleep, this one left me feeling like dancing and skating! If you hate Nick Cannon, he's really not in the film much. I barely even recognized Bow Wow. I thought he did a good job in this film. My 13 year old daughter liked it, my 9 year old didn't really get it, but my husband and I loved the music and enjoyed this film very much. Give it a chance. It is for all ages and races. This is a nice little escape from the real world. Take it lightly and take it for what it is...just a bit of fun. Enjoy life for a couple of hours.

Pretty good.

Author: spilledmarbles-1 from United States
19 December 2005

I think this movie was marketed wrong, when seeing the trailers I assumed the majority of the movie was about the roller skating, not quite enough to get me in to see it. In reality there are a lot of hearty story lines that attract you to the characters on an emotional level.

The Sweetness character is a hilarious disco stereotype and it couldn't have been played better.

I think a nod should be given to Bow Wow, who stands out as one of the few who crossover from singing to acting very well...especially for someone his age. Hopefully he plays some more serious roles and gains some more respect.

This is a great movie, especially if you grew up in the 70's

Author: Kevin Crupper (kevin-r-crupper) from United States
4 January 2006

This movie brought back memories long forgotten. I loved to skate as a kid and this movie inspired me to start skating again. I've lost some of the skills I once had...but I recently purchased some new skates and I will be a permanent fixture at the Skating rink. It made me remember how much I loved skating, and watching all the skaters get their jam on was out of this world! Great movie for all ages!! My kids and I will spend a lot of quality time in the rink! If you like good music, super, phenomenal skating skills, go see this movie...you won't regret it. I was jamming in my seat when the music and skating was taking place and I'm sure you will do the same...Enjoy!

Great Family Fun (Roll, Bounce)

Author: RecoWilliams (RecoWilliams@yahoo.com) from Arlington, Texas
26 September 2005

It is so refreshing to see a movie about blacks that is decent and wholesome. This movie Roll, Bounce which is set in the 70's during the prime era of disco and roller skating.

This movie deals with two major plot points. The first is that of a competitive spirit of class and will. When Bow Wow's (X), hometown roller rink is closed they have to go uptown to a more ritzy skating place knowing as "SweetWater" which the king of that rink is a very arrogant skater pimp named "Sweetness". You have the epic battle of good versus evil in a way with "X" vs "Sweetness". The movie also just looks at what a normal teenager would be engaged in in the 70's.

X and his friend have nice banter and playful dialogue with each other. The second major plot point is of that of X and his father, who lost their mother and wife respectively and each of them are trying to deal with it. It is a touching scene in the movie when they both clash heads over their idea of their dead loved one. That scene was very intense.

This movie is very clean and family friendly. It was a nice movie in which I wouldn't mine watching again. Hollywood need to make more movies like this that don't include sex scenes and bad language. Excellent Job. I give this movie and 8.

This is a must see!

Worth seeing!

Author: Beddiewong from United States
8 January 2006

This film was like a trip back in time. The roller skating, moves, and clothes all supply a trip down memory lane. The character Sweetness was bad (meant in a good way)! Bow Wow's performance blended well with the other characters. It was also great to see Jurnee Smollet and Meagan Good again!! (They were sisters in Kasi Lemmon's Eve's Bayou--exceptional film!) This movie is cute, fun, and great to watch. I would recommend it.

I had no upsets with the filming. The language can be a little spicy for little ones. But overall, the story is kept at the roller rink. The Southside Boys are a wacky group. They love to crack on each other. Overall, I thought the movie was great. Lots of comedy, family drama, and roller skating action.

A nice 90+ minutes of fresh air

Author: Tony Baker (thetza_17) from Las Cruces, New Mexico
25 September 2005

I thought this was a nice escape to very busy Saturday. It wasn't great but I was entertained. It took me back to my childhood. I enjoyed the movie more when they were away from the skating rink though. That could have been the whole movie. I really hate ignorant people that rate movies without even seeing them. All those people on here voting and gave the movie a 1 rating are just trying to bring the numbers for this film down. It doesn't deserve that. And I wish people on IMDb that vote like that would grow the hell up. So if you are one of those people that vote before they see film. Go play with yourself instead. And this goes to the people that give films the 10 ratings without seeing the film. Let's be as accurate as we can people and keep this the best internet site, or source period, for films.

Sweet comedy and drama, especially for anyone who grew up in the '70s

Author: cjohnson12144 from Upstate NY
23 January 2006

This weekend, we saw a movie that effortlessly combines '70s nostalgia, social and family drama, athleticism and some really fine performances into one gem of a movie -- "Roll Bounce," a very sweet coming-of-age movie about semi-urban teens in the age of roller disco. I'm not kidding -- this movie doesn't hit a single wrong note. The fashions, the phrases, the world depicted are perfect late '70s. The acting is spot-on, and features one of the most real father- son relationships I've ever seen on film. Chi McBride, as the father, brings a quiet but heavy dignity to the role, and his interaction with Bow Wow is just real. No clichés, no nonsense. That makes it all sound heavy when in fact it's beautiful -- and the movie is very very funny, not afraid to play up the silliest sides of the '70s soul and disco scenes with some characters that would have been at home in the heyday of Parliament, an outlandish appearance by Wayne Brady (and a lesser one by DMC, or, as my kids now know, "D's for never Dirty, MC's for Mostly Clean."). Plus, a couple of scenes with Charlie Murphy that were happily expanded in the "gag reel," which is the only part of the disc really not suitable for children. Let me put it this way -- it's been a LONG time since I watched a movie two nights in a row.

Lots of Fun

Author: kanona29 from United States
13 December 2005

I love movies like this, where the main purpose of the movie is to just entertain. The plot is simple, but it works. You basically go through the life of Bow Wow's character from the point where his favorite skating place is closed down...and through the moments where he and his fellow friends get ready for a competition against the baddest (meaning good) skaters within the Chicago area. I will point out here that the character named Sweetness was classic!!

"I Skate Now"...lol...Watch the movie and you'll know what I'm talking about.

This movie brought back some old memories and the camaraderie between bow wow and his friends are quite enjoyable to watch. i was also pleasantly surprised by the fact that Bow Wow didn't annoy me in this movie because I fully expected him to. He's no Oscar-ready actor, but he was a 100 times better than i would have ever imagined him to be.

The movie is a lot of fun to watch and it's very family/kid friendly. I'll definitely buy this one and can't wait to watch it over and over. :)

Clichéd but Fun

Author: pc95 from San Diego
16 December 2005

This movie had some good energy and laughs although the dramatic parts pretty much detracted from the picture and were terribly clichéd. Editing out the loss of the mother would've done the story some good. The drama didn't have its place. The formulaic storyline everyone's seen before, but the actors bring some spirit and laughs well with some zingers and commeraderie. The roller-skating/dancing is pretty well cut together and fun to watch especially with all the added theatrics. Supporting actors like the garbage guys and the villainous competition help as well. Overall it was a fun flick with fast-moving energy, choreography, and laughs all within the clichéd formulaic plot but you can identify the spirit of the cast and their uplifting and entertaining performances. Worth a rental for sure.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]