Growing Pains: Return of the Seavers

Growing Pains: Return of the Seavers (TV) More at IMDbPro »

WHERE'S BONER?!?!?

Author: Mike S
6 August 2004

He's the man! I'm not watching unless they bring Boner back on. Growing pains was a delightfully amusing yet intensely realistic sitcom based around a late-80s, early 90s suburban family. They had their laughs, they had their tears, but most of all, they had each other. Boner was Mike Seaver's not-too-swift but oh-so-amusing best friend. Boner was the Danny DeVito to Mike's Arnold Schwarzenegger; shorter, stupider, uglier, but quite adorable in his own special way. A Growing Pains reunion would without Boner would be like a having your family reunion without your blabbering retarded uncle; it'd be nice to see everyone, but that special something would be missing. Please bring back Boner. Do it for the fans. Do it for future. Do it for the love.

Not bad, hit home for sure.

Author: thepunisher456 from Kalamazoo
16 October 2004

OK, sitcom reunions, never a good thing. we all know this from little turds like the facts of life reunion and others to hit the reunion graveyard. the growing pains reunion of a few years ago is possibly one of very few reunions to not land face flat, it was as if, we hadn't missed a thing.

in this one, the parents are moving, and the movie opens up with them packing up the odds and ends to prepare for the big move. during this first scene and the ten minutes or so to follow, we are exposed to more cheese and clichés than we can stand to see, and we become worried about whether or not these actors knew what kind of humiliation might become of this TV movie.

the movie doesn't go very far, the whole thing takes place in one day, a bold move used usually in thrillers or half hour shows, however, more events than could ever occur in one day (since this is fiction) do occur.

the script? it seems well written, but under pressure. it holds a lot of elements used in your average romance-family feature. there are never times where you are tempted to chuckle along with the parts you know you're supposed to laugh at, but the story and the events are what really involve the audience. my personal favorite parts, the parts that made me burst into laughter, usually involved the always well-done brother/sister chemistry between Mike (Cameron) and Carol (Gold). another thing i enjoyed personally, that i really admire the actor's ability to make work was the mentioning the story from the audiences point-of-view. Jason Seaver makes a reference to Mike about "...166 episodes..."

on a scale of one to ten, a sure-fire 8.5/B+

this movie has a lot to offer, and is a great one to watch when the family gets together.

This was an excellent movie; usually reunions are not that great, this one was very good.

Author: jimbo1604 from queens new york
17 October 2004

Usually, reunion movies can be corny and the actors may seem uncomfortable in reprising their roles. Not so with this movie; it was clever and made some cute references to the original show, and the actors were just as good as when the original series ran. They also looked really great! The plot was very good; I think both Maggie and Jason deserved a break after raising four children and I could see them retiring and having a leisurely life. The only thing I could'nt see was them selling their home. I am glad that they decided against leaving in the end. I liked the fact that Mike still had a little of his old self in him, but that he turned out to be a responsible parent in the end, and put his family's needs before monetary gain. I hope they run this movie again-I should have taped it, I would enjoy seeing it again.

Wonderful World of Disney and Wonderful Movie II

Author: twintytinomom from Metairie, Louisiana
20 October 2004

I think the Growing Pains, "Return of the Seavers" was wonderful. The show was so realistic in that the kids that are married all wanted the parents to stay put and the kids that are younger could care less. That is so real life. You don't realize what your parents are all about till you are married and then have children. Then the way the cell phones rang all the time is so real life. Every place you look someone is on a cell phone. Then the tone to the theme song was too cute. I also liked the way Kirk and Chelsea played their real life as close as possible in the movie. Like when they talked about adoption. That is wonderful for people to know that it is OK to adopt. I love that theme song, especially since my twins played the role of Tracy Gold's baby in this movie. Even though she didn't have the baby till the last 10 minutes of the movie I think she turned out to be a great mom. She was a lil nervous, but believe me, she was really great with my babies and so was the whole cast. I wish them all luck and hope they have an opportunity to make another movie.

Cell Phones Run Amuck

Author: Chris Winston from Fairbanks, U.S. Territory of Alaska
4 November 2004

No way! Another Growing Pains reunion movie!? I wasn't sure what to think but all I knew was I just had to see it. Now that I have I can VERY safely say this movie does not deserve a single "10" rating. No way, no how. It is beyond me how anyone can think this is worth an A+. It's very difficult for any Made-for-TV movie to achieve anything beyond B+ and most are worth C or less. Growing Pains: Return of the Seavers had nothing to bring this to a level of artistic excellence, nothing to make a sane person believe this is an awesome movie, one of the best ever made. Ummm... no. Just no. What this movie did contain was a little bit on enjoyment, though, I will admit. I used to watch the old TV series up until the final couple seasons and I did recently watch the first Growing Pains reunion movie from four years ago. Interestingly, in this movie there was absolutely no mention of mom Maggie Seaver's (director Joanna Kerns) position in the U.S. Congress. She was elected in the last movie, wasn't she, or was that just a primary? One other thing of particular interest was the fact that daughter Carol (Tracy Gold) was married to and pregnant by a man who she did not marry in the first movie... but both this dude and the last dude were campaign managers. Hmm. So, we're led to believe Carol got divorced and remarried to another campaign manager in four short years? Youngest son Ben (Jeremy Miller) and youngest daughter Chrissy (Ashley Johnson) were both back again and finding their way in the world. Kirk Cameron was well featured as oldest child Mike finding his way also but as the parent of a young teen dealing with leaving his family for a year to work in Japan. One thing I found unfortunate was Kirk Cameron didn't really get to showcase his devotion to God and God's importance in life. ABC and Disney don't really go there but this movie did have some good family values never-the-less and adopting another child was mentioned which is so wonderful considering how many starving, dying orphans there are in the world. Joanna Kerns did a decent job directing, this being her sophomore effort. Last but not least I'll mention father of the clan Jason Seaver (Alan Thicke) was probably the best, as he was in the last movie. I'm not sure what it is about him... very laid back a lot of the time, letting the jokes fly with ease, like the "166 episodes" remark. Other mentionables about the movie - the Growing Pains souvenir sweatshirt, Mike Seaver souvenir t-shirt, Mike's old leather jacket that got a Leonardo DiCaprio comment from his daughter. Got a great laugh outta that! The cell phone addiction was disgusting to watch, truly a sign of the negative impact of cell phones on American society. Kind of funny was that Mike's cell phone ringtone was the TV show's old theme song and Carol's remark about it was so right on. So, overall this wasn't too bad but like I said absolutely nothing to put on an A+ pedestal. This gets a grade of C+... maybe one day years from now I'd watch it again. Maybe they'll make another in four more years?! I wouldn't mind.