IMDb > Breach (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Breach

Breach More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 21: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

conversation starter

Author: pepperbooth from United States-Pa.
17 February 2007

This movie was interesting because it guided you into the minds of the trader as well as the betrayed.The movie was fast paced and flowed well without a lot of unnecessary dialog typical of a "based on a true story" movie.It was an interesting look into our government and the human ego at the same time.The writers did an excellent job of finding a way to show how many people were effected on so many levels and in so many varying ways.The surprising thing is that you end up feeling compassion for everyone including the very person responsible for so much pain. Everyone is guilty of something. This movie makes you think back to "that thing you did wrong" and question your motivations.A real thought provoker as well as a debate starter! I think this movie is great to see with your mate, friends,as well as family.(worth my $7.75)

Lack of Depth leaves little insight

Author: kgprophet
20 February 2007

Buoyed by some decent reviews, and having been a fan of Chris Cooper since "Matewan", I was ready for a good espionage thriller. I was mistaken, this is more a standard drama, with little effort to give much depth to his life or his capture. Instead, it concentrates most of the time on the Mentor/Student relationship O'Neill is assigned to fill. By the third act, little intrigue has been generated, and we are left with O'Neill's torn life of living undercover done better in "The Departed" or "Donnie Brasco". Even for what the movie does concentrate on, Hanssen's secret perversions and paranoia, you are left with little explanation at the end. Would it have hurt to get a few extra scenes of Laura Linney putting together the vast Hanssen case, all those 50 investigators uncovering the worst espionage case in U.S. history? Instead, it's O'Neill's wife's displeasure of being married to a (potential) FBI agent.

Cooper's acting is fine, but is still trapped in a narrow view of the two months leading to his arrest. A mundane office, with mundane hallways, in a mundane federal building. How did he get in contact with the Russians? There are only blips of back-story. Those who remember Cooper in a similar role in "The Bourne Identity", there is no sense of danger in Hanssen's character, just a man slowly being caught in his own web.

Breach Is Full of Mystery!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
3 November 2014

Breach is a wonderful, slow-burning thriller based on the worst breach in American history. It also goes along well as a cat-and-mouse thriller between the undercover FBI agent, O'Neill and the suspected man himself, Robert Hanssen. Even though the film is a work of fiction, it provides lots of information about the actual events, and I learned a lot that way. The film goes a good job in building up the tension, despite knowing exactly how the film is going to end. The film is well-acted and provides a strong script.

Billy Ray's film is about an FBI agent named Eric O'Neill who desperately wants a promotion and he seizes his chance when he is tasked to get close to a senior agent named Robert Hanssen who has also been labeled as a sexual deviant but it is also believed he is selling secrets to the Soviets. While undercover, the task proves to be hard as O'Neill begins to grow fond of the man and is facing issues at home because of his new boss.

The film is well-acted especially from Chris Cooper who gives a tour-de-force performance as Robert Hanssen. Cooper gives a strong amount of a cunning and untrustworthy personality and it gave me the creeps sometimes as I felt he could see through O'Neill's identity. Ryan Phillippe gives a good performance as the young O'Neill who eventually became a hero of the FBI. Laura Linney also does well as the stern, no-nonsense boss of O'Neill.

Overall, Breach is a chilling story depicting the worst espionage any American have committed in history. It shows just how vulnerable our secrets can be, especially in the wrong hands. I like how the film also turned into a deep character study focusing on the Catholicism of Hanssen. This is a fantastic film, although it's a bit of a slow burner. I rate this film 9/10.

Strong performances saved this for me

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
29 September 2014

This was pretty good for such a dry, slow-burning movie, it drags at times but still manages to keep a level of tension and suspense going throughout and I id end up really enjoying this. Ultimately it was the strong performances from both Chris Cooper and Ryan Phillippe that saved this for me.

Cooper is intense and creepy here displaying a range of mystique. Laura Linney as his handler was quite bitchy. Ryan plays an FBI Trainee who is assigned to keep en eye on a fellow agent suspected of selling information to the soviets. Its his first real case and initially he's not even sure what he's looking for. 7/17/14

Donni Brasco all over again

Author: siderite from Romania
16 May 2009

It even felt a little too boring, too. The story of a government agent tasked on spying on the worst US spy in history. I can't stop wondering what would have happened if they didn't catch the bad guy? Wouldn't the lowly (soon to be) agent take the fall? It's all politics after all. The movie did end in a more positive way than Donnie Brasco, with the guy realizing his position and actually quitting.

All actors played well, Chris Cooper most of all. The story was based on true events, but the plot was clearly manipulated in order to make the movie bearable. After all, when you know someone betrays you, the act of catching them is only a detail.

Chris Cooper is excellent

Author: wanbaclone from Charlotte, North Carolina
18 January 2009

The story of Robert Hanssen is curious. How could a man that looked so normal on the outside be a spy? Breach doesn't really offer an answer and is better for it. Chris Cooper instead plays Hanssen to complexity. It seems throughout the movie that even Hanssen wasn't fully aware of his motives. Maybe it was a bet to himself just to see if he could do it.

The biggest weakness of the film is Laura Linney. I like Laura Linney, so it's with regret that I say she's cardboard in this movie. She plays a characture of an FBI agent as if she watched B grade spy movies to fill the part. Scenes she's not in are some of the best.

Ultimately, the plot suffers by never making up its mind if it is a thriller or a character piece. It waffles. It would have been better to cut the bits of thriller (that don't really thrill all that effectively) and stick with allowing the characters to move and interact a bit more. It's frustrating to have a brilliant scene between Chris Cooper and Ryan Phillippe cut into by a scene in which (Oh no!) Cooper is about to find out who Phillippe is.

Without a doubt, Cooper makes Breach a good film. It's packing too much into the movie that makes it less than great.

if it's the best one, still not good enough

Author: musacha from United States
14 June 2008

I imagine some of the reviewers have worked for the govt. I haven't yet. But I hope our govt wouldn't say exactly how we spied on Hanssen. If you're a spy and they send you to a new job in the "back room" of the agency to do nothing special, you should get very suspicious. Not to mention your assistant's pager that sounds like, "hey we're coming to get ya". Hanssen didn't have a pager, didn't get calls from his wife.

Again a spy of that level should be suspicious of stray cats outside his home (and would be). That's how he was a 22 year spy. He knows his car is bugged but the constant delays by O'Neill don't raise his suspicion? Hard to believe that really happened. And what's up with the wife who thinks she has top level clearance. If your husband sweeps floors for the FBI, he won't be able to tell you everything. I was more suspicious of her being a spy.

However, this was better than most spy movies (which doesn't say much for spy movies. sorry Hollywood). No shoot em up, blow em up stuff as other true stories feel like they must have them. Some reviews call it the best. If this is the best one, then face the fact that we'll never really know the protocol for taking down spies. Unless some of you have already done it.

Pretty good spy story.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
26 January 2008

Chris Cooper is Robert Hanssen, a traitor working within the FBI and selling secrets to the Russians. The FBI knows about the billions of dollars of damage he's done and the lives that he's had sacrificed, but they need more solid evidence to put him away for good. They recruit Eric O'Neill (Ryan Phillippe), a novice lawyer at the Bureau, as a mole who is to work as Cooper's immediate underling. Cooper thinks Phillippe is working for him, but he's really working for a different department, run by Laura Linney. Phillippe must conceal his work from his German-born wife, Juliana, leading to the usual mess in which the guy must not only keep his work secret but must keep secret the fact that he's keeping it a secret. In the end, Cooper is nailed and put away for life, and Phillippe quits the bureau for an independent (and undoubtedly more lucrative) private practice.

Ryan Phillippe is only barely adequate and he's up against some seasoned and impressive players. His performance is even overwhelmed by Dennis Haysbert in a small part. You'll recognize Haysbert when you see him. He's told us in his sonorous baritone a thousand times that, "You're in good hands with Allstate." I'm going to skip most of the details of how Cooper is finally trapped, partly because I don't quite understand them. For instance, Cooper makes a final drop at the drop place, but I couldn't figure out how anyone managed to divine the location of the drop site.

Anyway, the movie belongs to Chris Cooper and, man, is he good. When we first meet him, he's sour, pasty. His lips are pinched and his eyes rimmed with red. And he's surly with his subordinate. He hates Hillary Clinton, lesbians, and the usual betes noires of the right wing. He doesn't approve of drinking. He and his family attend mass every morning and makes snotty comments about Protestants. He seems at first like a stereotype, yet as the movie rolls along in its deliberate pace we see that he's a far more complex character than we might have thought. He's genuinely sympathetic as Phillippe tells him lies about his sick grandmother in order to cover his own attempts to uncover solid evidence. And Cooper sends around tapes of himself and his wife making rough love.

We get to know Cooper's character only through the eyes of Phillippe, so as the character unfolds he seems to lurch from one state to another. For instance, we know Cooper doesn't drink. But he shows up unexpectedly at Phillipe's house drunk, takes Phillippe into Rock Creek Park, and shoots a few rounds near him to find out if Phillippe really is what he says he is, a mere clerk. After a scene like that, you can't help wondering what is going through Cooper's mind, what -- exactly -- happened to him to bring him to this state?

I'll give one example of Cooper's expertise in this film. Phillippe has just been in Cooper's office, rifling some files, and is almost caught when Cooper returns sooner than expected. Cooper enters his office, looks around, and then saunters over to Phillippe's desk. "O'Neill, have you been in my briefcase?" Phillipe makes up some BS cover story about spilled water and having to move the briefcase, while Cooper listens doubtfully. And if you want to see a good actor express "doubt" without either underplaying or going overboard, watch the expression on Cooper's face while he parses this story in his head.

There are no shoot outs and the suspense is limited to a few incidents. Mostly it's a drama about character. There is no question that Cooper was a traitor and there is virtually nothing about his motives. Nor need there be. I'll speculate anyway. It wasn't money. He evidently made lots of it but he didn't need it, and it seems hardly worth risking humiliation, arrest, and a life sentence in prison. Cooper lives about the way his character should live, not modestly but not opulently either. Cooper's character does mutter something about the thrill that comes from being part of a team looking for someone, and knowing that you yourself are the person they're looking for. It might be a clue. There's a sensuous quality to outwitting other people, a reward in itself. Money needn't be part of it. That's why we enjoy playing scrabble or bridge. That's why a burglar will tip-toe through a house in which he KNOWS others to be present, just in order to steal a purse with a few dollars in it, as happened to my mother. It satisfies our desire for self testing -- exactly how good are we?

What a rush!

Chris Cooper is Oscar-Worthy!

Author: Michael Margetis (pmargetis@cox.net) from United States
22 November 2007

Robert Hanssen: Tell me five things about yourself, four of them true.

Eric O'Neill: I don't think I'd be much good at bluffing.

Robert Hanssen: That would've counted as your lie.

There is one reason to see 'Breach' - Chris Cooper. The incredibly underrated Oscar winning actor seems to do every role he takes flawlessly. His role in 'Breach' is no exception, in fact it might be one of his best performances. Cooper plays Robert Hannsen, an ultra-Catholic FBI Operative who has been suspected of handing over information to the Soviets. Another FBI Operative (Laura Linney) hell-bent on catching him sends a rookie (Ryan Phillippe) to pose as Hanssen's assistant and try to catch him in the act of treason. The movie is suspenseful consistently, and Phillippe's acting impressed me. Laura Linney is great in her limited screen time, and All State Commercial's Dennis Haysbert is always a pleasure to watch play an authoritative figure. My only complaint with 'Breach' is it lacks drama. The biggest downfall of the movie is the script, which is sometimes so jam-packed full of cheesy and cliché dialogue, it detracted my attention away from the plot. All in all, 'Breach' features some good performances, an extraordinary performance by Chris Cooper, thrilling sequences and some crappy dialogue. Grade: B-

Good based on a true story film.

Author: board-5 from Hungary
18 October 2007

I was very excited about this film cause I had seen Shattered Glass-(the last 30-minits),and finally I get what I waited,with just little problems.The story sometimes not working enough,but this is not a too big problem if we talking about a based on a true story film.I think Chris Cooper has some great moments,but Ryan Phillippe is average,Laura Linney was good,but had not enough time.I think the screenplay was average,some twists are calculable,but there is some better,for example the last is proves a very important thing,but the interpretations can be different.I'm almost sure next time I will rent the directors next work.