IMDb > Sin City (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sin City

Sin City More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 172: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

This movie rocks!

Author: ElmStreetsLastBrat from Georgia
19 February 2007

When Sin City first came out, I had no interest in seeing it. I had never been a fan of stylish black and white films or films that were based on comic books. And I had heard of all the grisly violence in this film and that made me not want to see it even more. But my cousin had told me all about it and kept telling me how great it was but I kept telling her that it just wasn't my cup of tea. But a couple of weeks ago I was trying to find something to watch on television and there was just nothing on I was interested in watching. So I saw that Sin City was on and turned it on there. It has already been on for like thirty minutes but I just started watching it and became enthralled and had to watch more. I couldn't turn it off! This was such a cool movie. I loved all the characters. My favorite character was Marv, played to perfection by Mickey Rourke. He had the best lines in the whole film. I'm not normally a Bruce Willis fan but he was great in this film too. Elijah Wood, in a change of character for him, was extra creepy as Kevin, the cannibal. And Clive Owen! OMG I loved Clive Owen as Dwight McCarthy. Besides Marv, Dwight was my favorite character. His sequence with Benicio Del Toro was one of the best scenes in the movie. This film was extremely violent and I did cringe on some parts, but it didn't' distract me from the film. I thought it was extremely well done, well written, well directed, well acted, and overall a great film. Sin City is one of the best films to be adapted from a comic book. I'm glad I ended up seeing it because it's now one of my favorite movies. Sin City rocks! Thanks for reading my review! ~LaTissa~

It's just one of those films that you cannot call anything but cool

Author: DonFishies from Canada
20 June 2006

Frank Miller's Sin City is simply, the best comic book film ever made. For every film with characters based in comics, you always hear the critic commenting on whether the film was good or not, and you always hear the fanboys screaming out how the film completely ignores the comics mythos. For Sin City, both camps were raving. Robert Rodriguez, in his bold move of making Frank Miller his co-director, has helped to create a fantastically dark and sick looking film that feels more authentic than any other comic book film ever has.

The film mainly chronicles three of Frank Miller's stories (with tidbits of a fourth). The opening and closing story, "That Yellow Bastard", is about Hartigan (Bruce Willis), a hardnosed cop with a "bum ticker" (as he keeps mentioning), attempting to end the cycle of sexual depravity for Junior (Nick Stahl). The second takes off right after the opening of "Bastard", and is "The Hard Goodbye". It recalls Marv's (Mickey Rouke, behind layers and layers of face makeup) quest to find the killer(s) who set him up for the murder of Goldie (J'aime King), the one woman who treated him better than the monster he is. The final story, sandwiched in the middle of "Goodbye" and the ending of "Bastard", is "The Big Fat Kill". This story chronicles Dwight (Clive Owen) and his desire to ensure that a pack of thugs, including Jackie Boy (Benicio Del Toro, again, under heavy face makeup), do not harm any girls in Basin City (notice where the title comes from?).

Revealing any of the other elements of the story only ruins the film, as all of them tie together into one collective story.

Having read the comics after seeing the film, I can only stand even more amazed than I was after getting up in the theatre. Rodriguez, Miller and Co. have literally taken the images off the comic book pages, and put them to celluloid. Every bit of the dark and brooding atmosphere of the books, is here in the film. From the black and white with splashes of choice colour, to the provocative clothing, to the strong graphic violence, even down to getting actors who look distinctly like their characters in the books (including those with horrific makeup); it's all here, and it all feels distinctly authentic.

The story lines, no matter how darkly bizarre, brutally violent or how bleakly funny they become, all stay true to the comics. Every single actor breathes life into the words of Miller, and acts out their parts very well. When you look at the actor acting out their part, you cannot help but feel you are reading one of the books. It's that distinctive, and that much true to the books. Yes, there were a few changes in regards to the excessive nudity of the books, but the change was an obvious one that does not take away from the films at all. If anything, it only adds to weak areas of the books.

Even more amazing than anything however, is the visual effects. The entire film was filmed on a green-screen, with only a few sets actually built. The rest is fully computer generated, and was filmed in parts (with many of the actors sharing the screen, never meeting each other until later on). The way Rodriguez has helped capture the film, is a testament to what digital technology holds for us in the future. It's sharp and is clearly, the only way Miller's stories could have ever been justifiably shown in a film. Every character looks like they are on every set, and nothing looks fake at all.

For everything that is done right in the film, it still is not absolutely perfect. The pacing is a bit off in many of the scenes, and having "Yellow Bastard" bookend the three stories really was not a wise choice (as it is the most uninteresting, and is mainly filled with exposition). There's just something off in the editing, and it really takes away from the strength the rest of the film packs. It's a fantastic film, and the clear-cut best film of 2005. But I will be damned if I say that the editing and pacing does not feel right.

It may not be for everyone, but for anyone who can see it, Frank Miller's Sin City is just one of those films that you cannot call anything but cool. It's a masterpiece, and is a film that will be remembered for a long time, if not, as the pioneer of what digital photography can do for a film. It's fantastic, and is authentic. What more could a comic book fan ask for?

9.5/10.

Rob at his best...so Far !!!

Author: iamparanoid from India
3 March 2006

Let me start off by saying that i am a fan of Sin City(Movie and Comic)..and by fan,read HUGE...... Anyways all this debacle about Sin City being Crap,to much violence blood,noise blah-blah.....what did you morons think..that it was Lassie part-2...off course there's lot off gore and gruesome violence...thats why its Sin City people and hey check the opening and closing credits will ya...Special Guest Direction by Quentin Tarantino!!!(if violence wasn't for ya,u should have walked out when you freaks read that at the opening !!)

Anyways getting back to the movie...i do agree with 89,i.e when you criticize and especially post it on a site for all to read...you gotta back it up with material,otherwise Ur just wasting Web-Space(not like its running out or anything,but thats out of the point)....

..and yeah,Jessica Alba cant act for nuts...well heard that a lot,but hey with a body like that you don't need to !!!...but its not the older Nancy Callahan that interested me..its the young Nancy's(Makenzie Vega) performance that caught my eye...the twisted turn of fate when the kiddos face was in Hartigan's mind while he wuz searching for her and years later he finds her...lil Nancy Callahan grown into a hottie throwing her arms around him inviting him to bed....scarry for a grown righteous man to take ,i must say...

but a few Nip-slips aside,i can say Rob did manage to put up a good show..and i know Sin City 2 is expected big time...hope they don't disappoint us like a bandwagon of fuzzed out sequels has,in the past...

...i'm sure Marv is gonna be missed....unless he becomes the walking dead in Sin City -2,that'l be cool !! Somewhere in the dark laid back alleys of the forbidden city i can hear him laughing this very second....or i suppose he's ruling Hell..with Goldie on his side...just like he'd want it...with his Valkyrie...

Intriguing visuals, but the stories are getting tedious after a while

Author: Superunknovvn from Austria, Vienna
5 September 2005

The big problem with "Sin City" is that it probably doesn't make for a good transition to film. Robert Rodriguez adapted the look of the comic book faithfully and the visuals are indeed pretty intriguing, but the different stories aren't particularly gripping. The monologes of the respective characters are getting tiring after a while and even the comical quality of the exaggerated violence in this movie doesn't make the whole experience any more exciting. There are some fine actors in this movie (great to see Rutgar Hauer coming back to a big budget production), but Rodriguez directs them all to act like cold, emotionless bricks. Maybe that's what he thought the comic demanded, maybe it's supposed to be super cool, but for me that kind of acting plus the neverending monologes just made the movie monotonous. While I did appreciate the original and affectionate approach and to a certain extend the ridiculous acts of violence, the movie left me indifferent and bored in the end. Still, Rodriguez made a much more honorable effort with "Sin City" than he did with "Spy Kids". It was about time.

Beautiful!

Author: chancmeeting from United States
16 August 2005

This movie is beautiful; in the special kind of way that can only be done by the one who created it in the first place! And, thankfully, Rodriguez and Creator Frank Miller seemed to see the same thing! The movie's beauty is second only to the original Graphic Novels! Truly one of a kind (but, ironically, I can't wait to see the next one!) It is also a nice homage to the "Film Noir" era. The casting couldn't have been better; each actor/actress is made, or just happens to be tailored, to their role! Even if you aren't real excited by action and violence; your eyes will be glued to every frame of this movie. It's just that amazing to see! Definitely give it a chance; and you'll probably be in my place wondering which of the 4 DVD covers to buy!

Oh, my...

Author: dude-2 (smbika@aol.com) from Baltimore, MD USA
16 August 2005

...the kind of movie i dreamed of seeing since i was a kid (a wee bit of time ago) - all the way up to actually seeing it when it finally arrived this year. The best adaptation of a comic to date by a wide margin.

Damn.

The blend of real life, comic, film noir, black and white, color, Dashiell Hammett, Dark Knight on the art side and Bruce Willis (in a roll made for him), Josh Hartnett (who despite being prettier than most celebrity girlfriends is a great actor), Jessica Alba (unharmful to the eyes), Brittany Murphy (ditto), and Mickey Rourke (in the roll no one else on EARTH could have played) on the craft side...

Not that ANY thing or one in this movie isn't a child of, work of, or slave to...art.

Damn.

Visit Sin City: violent, dangerous, depressing... and absolutely awesome!!!

Author: cortinex from Augsburg, Germany
15 August 2005

Exactly my kind of movie I have to say.

The cast list is fantastic, the characters itself are fantastic (Marv just rocks!!) and the atmosphere of the movie is fantastic.

Nice alternation for the eyes to see a good old black and white- movie, you feel right back in the past. I liked the small amounts of color, especially Dwight's shoes and Goldie's hair. They give the movie some kind of... don't know, and that's what's so great about! And the black and white thing coupled with the voice from the off reminds me of the computer game 'Max Payne', making it even more atmospheric.

I think Robert Rodriguez did a great job. I don't know the comics by Frank Miller but I'm watching out for them, after I've heard that the movie is a nearly perfect copy of them.

And what I liked especially: no character in this flick is 'good', no one. Even the so called hero, Hartigan (man, I liked Bruce Willis playing this role), though he is all about saving Nancy Callahan's life, isn't so glorious, considering his final confrontation with the Yellow Bastard. Marv is just a psychotic crazy killer maniac, not even flinching from killing a priest ("Amen!") and sawing off a 'boy's' arms and legs, and watching the dog eating them afterwards, but he all does this because of the only love he has ever had, the hooker Goldie, killed by the 'boy' (or whatever he is) Kevin. And Dwight, yeah, Dwight is also a special figure to talk about, because he comes close to Marv, concerning his bloodlust. In my opinion, Clive Owen is a great cast for this role, don't know why, but in my eyes, he just fits the image.

I have to thank Quentin Tarrantino for the scene with Dwight and the killed Jackie Boy in the car, because it's just so crazy and bizarre that this scene surely becomes copied in any way in the future. But they won't get it that good as good old Quentin did.

And one last word I have to say about the girls: FANTASTIC!!! So many pretty girls. Jessica Alba and Brittany Murphy are my favorites but also Rosario Dawson, Alexis Bledel and all the other girls are gorgeous.

So, there's only left to say: everybody who hasn't seen this movie yet: go into the next theater, buy a ticket for Sin City, sit down relaxed in your chair and just let the atmosphere suck you into the film. When it's over, you notice a small but urgent voice in your head, saying: "Watch it again. Immediately!!!"

Fantastic, absolutely fantastic

Author: vanillacoke420 from Sweden
6 August 2005

Before I saw the first trailers that had leaked out on the net, I didn't know about the Sin City graphic novels at all. But, simply by watching that trailer, my expectations became very high right away. I sometimes watched the trailer for fun, simply because it was so good, and promised so much. The other trailers that were official, promised even more. I've never waited so much for a movie since I waited for Kill Bill.

Did it keep its promise? It did, and more. The visual style was absolutely fantastic, with the movie being completely in black and white with splashes of colour here and there, such as a red dress, the flashing lights of the police cars or Bledel's blue eyes. The story lines were simple and straightforward. Some have called the movie shallow, and I suppose it was, but for some reason this is not bad in any way.

We're sent into Sin City for two hours and we get to see a different world, a world real and unreal... and it feels good! It's easy getting sucked into this strange parallel universe, where you can find anything. It's dark and exciting. It's a place where the men are raw and hard characters, and the women are cool and always beautiful. It's decades ago and it's today.

The acting was good. I didn't expect anything else with such an impressive list of excellent actors/actresses. Here are some of them, and what I thought about them: Jessica Alba is Nancy Callahan, a stripper at the Kadie's bar. Alba is doing a pretty good job, actually. Just about good enough for this role, but not any more than that, in my opinion.

Devon Aoki is Miho, one of the girls of Old Town. I don't think she says anything at all in the movie. Hard to say much about the acting, but it looked like she did her job.

Alexis Bledel is Becky, one of the youngest of the Old Town prostitutes. I have to admit I was curious to see Bledel in such a movie, after seeing her as Rory in Gilmore Girls. Except for a few weak moments here and there, she did a great job on the whole.

Rosario Dawson is Gail, one of the de facto leader figures of Old Town. I love the way Dawson did this character. Gotta love her mischievous smile.

Benicio Del Toro is Jackie Boy, a no good cop. del Toro must be some sort of acting genius. He is one of the outstanding actors in this movie, he is really, *really* good as Jackie Boy, even when Jackie is supposed to be dead.

Rutger Hauer is Cardinal Roark. Another small role in this movie. Even so, he's doing a great job.

Jaime King is Goldie/Wendy, twin sisters and prostitutes of Old Town. This is, as far as I remember (and I'm very sure) the first time I get to see her work. I think that her sensuality is created where her hotness and cool intersect.

Brittany Murphy is Shellie, a bar maid at Kadie's. Here is another one who does her job incredibly well. For a while we have Murphy and del Toro in the same scenes; a real treat. Murphy's facial expressions, gesturing, the way she delivers her lines - just sit back and enjoy. Ace performance by Murphy.

Mickey Rourke is Marv. Great character who beats his way through Sin City with fury and humour in order to find vengeance on whoever murdered Goldie. Rourke does it well.

Nick Stahl is Roark Jr./Yellow Bastard. A pedophile who is after Nancy, and after Hartigan saves her, he attempts to kill him. I'm not familiar with Stahl's previous works, I believe, but he certainly seems to play this part well.

Bruce Willis is Hartigan, a good cop. I recently saw Die Hard, and remembering Armageddon I have to say he doesn't seem to have a terribly wide range as an actor, but then again his roles usually doesn't seem to give much room either. For such parts, including the one as Hartigan, he's a good choice.

Elijah Wood is Kevin, one of the more terrifying characters. No lines for Wood, and it's not much he needs to do, I guess, except staring without expression, or trying to fight Marv.

It may sound like I'm raving about all the actors, but I hope it's also clear that in some cases I can't say much about the acting, and that in some cases it's great, sometimes good and sometimes weak.

Anyway, I loved this movie. Unfortunately it was pulled from the big screen in my city after only a month, and by that time I've seen it only four times. I'll just need to get the DVD...

This is an easy 10/10.

Sin City.....more like.......Sin Awesome....Yeah

Author: sjrsauce from United States
4 August 2005

Sin City is from start to finish a work of SIN-ematic beauty. Robert Rodriguez remained true to the source material, and kept it dark and gritty. The acting is superb, except from a few of the females. The violence is non-stop and unrelenting. I overly enjoyed myself during this movie, and found myself chuckling at a few scenes. Mickey Rourke is the best part of this movie, in my opinion, this could mark the beginning of a huge career for him. This movie is not for the squeamish or weak of heart. While a few may be offended by the violence, it is a necessary evil, due to the source material. Overall, this movie was very well directed, acted, and faithful to the original Sin City comics.

Pease accept my best wishes to you the excellent team who created this film

Author: oletitbe from China
3 August 2005

Thanks for all the members of this excellent film.it is so cool and strong mind-influenced that inspiring all the feeling hidden in my body.it is a long period since the last time i had the similar experience from the God Father and Boxer Club

By the way i like Quentin Tarantino so much and here i want to express my highest reverence to him . I am a film-lover,especially the unique ones directed by the unique director .they give me so fantastical space to think over and keep long time impression .And also this is the first time i came to the great site-web where give me so many informations about wonderful films especially the IMDb standard that provides me a guideline to appreciate better videos.And it do a great favor of me to keep from the awful and worse ones.I expect to make new friends with the same taste here where interacted and sincere discussion among us are hold. Best regards to all of you .