IMDb > Sin City (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sin City

Sin City More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 174: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

The one and only Masterpiece of the comic book genre!

Author: Red_Identity from United States
9 March 2009

Sin City is based on three different stories in a place called Basin City. The way the three stories unfold and collapse against one another is captivating to see. Based on the graphic novels by Frank Miller, Sin City is perhaps the first film ever made to really have the authentic tone and look of comic books. Even if you have not seen the film, you probably had heard of this film for it's original style and unique touch of black-and-white special effects. I thought this was one heck of a movie. I thought this was one of the few films to actually have a really powerful narration, which is done by the three main characters played by Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, and Bruce Willis. I thought the first third with Marv(Mickey Rourke) was one amazing story. I loved the beginning, and I loved this story the best out of the whole film. The second story which focuses on Dwight(Clive Owen) was to an extent different, although the same menacing feel is still there. Whereas Marv's story relied more on suspense and mystery, this part was more action-packed, which had really amazing uses of violence and gore. The third and final act, about Hardigan(Bruce Willis) was more similar to Marv's story, and also had the right use of violence, mystery, and action. I thought the ensemble cast was certainly one to marvel at. There are a lot of movie stars in this film, and some of them are brilliant, whereas some of them not so much. I thought Mickey Rourke, Bruce Willis, Rosario Dawson, Elijah Wood, and Benicio Del Toro were the best of the film. They all delivered their best. Especially Benicio Del Toro, who really gave us a creepy and menacing villain. There were others who were not as great. Clive Owen was mixed. In some parts he was great, in others he seemed so dull. Alexis Bledel, Jaime King, and Jessica Alba also had some good parts, but in others they were all sort of bland or bad. But the biggest problem was Brittany Murphy. I thought Murphy was just horrible. In her only scene, she was just talking and acting so mediocre, did not like her one bit. I have seen her in other films, and I thought she was a good actress. Maybe something happened with her here, but she was by far the worst. The writing is also something to appreciate. It was cheesy in parts, but I thought everything, from the dialogue to the events, were all done as they would in a comic book, or in this case graphic novel. I especially liked the imagery and figurative dialogue and the narration that was used, and really enhanced the film to another level.

Overall, Sin City is one of the most ambitious, original, entertaining, captivating, action packed, visually stunning and artistically magnificent films I have ever had the pleasure of watching. I expect a lot of repeat viewings, and action films had never gotten better than this. A one and only film that needs to be watched, even if only for for its incredible style and ambitious craft.

Special Guest Director Tarantino Organised a lot of the Cinematography

Author: PeterWilliamson from Australia
10 July 2007

I think Quentin Tarantino organised a lot more of the cinematography than what was said. If Quentin Tarantino didn't help direct this movie, I think almost all the cinematography would be different. In the first scene after the opening credits, the way the camera zooms in on Bruce Willis (Hardigan), facing him as he's driving. It is a very similar camera shot as as the beginning and end of Kill Bill Vol. 2 facing Uma Thurman and as the end of Jackie Brown, facing Pam Grier. As I've said before the cinematography in every Quentin Tarantino movie is absolutely brilliant, one of the qualities is that he often goes into black and white (probably because sometimes it can be a lot more affective than colour) and that same quality is used in Sin City; my guess is that it's a mixture of Frank Miller and Quentin Tarantino's idea. The whole element of the character "Mi-Ho" and her weaponry tactics is like a page out of Kill Bill's book.

Even though I am disagreeing with people saying that Quentin Tarantino was involved a lot more than what is said, this is not a negative comment. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, because the combination of Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino made the cinematography perfect!

Gibbons 2005: The Big Flush Imminent

Author: ArchAngel Michael from Quis Ut Deus?
1 April 2016

Spoilers Ahead:

First, before lighting the blowtorch, what did I find within the manure? Yes, my friends, there is beauty here like a pearl someone dropped on a road apple. Hartigan's nobility in protecting Nancy is the beacon of Light within a bleak, nihilistic depravity festival of Dionysian debauchery that would have made the Marquis De Sade say,"Oh, that is just too violent and gross for my taste." Yes, if you can shovel away the sewage, you will enjoy seeing Willis give a great performance here in a very noble role. What always fascinates me about these pagans is, while they laugh at religion, considering God to be akin to the Easter Bunny, they always feel the need to attack Him in their depravity gore festivals to assuage the slaves of the global oligarchs' deep feelings of being living drops on a glass, flowing with their masters' gravity ever downward, downward into oblivion. Everybody notice the lovely shooting of the priest's brains out? How about Cardinal Rourke, who, of course, is also a cannibal? What you notice, sociologically, when you watch this, is only the pagans' hatred of God exceeds their hatred of their country. There is always this fatheaded pairing of the two as you see here. See, my friends, moral laws do not require perfect adherents to validate their existential verity. Note to Neil Jordan, yes Neil, if every single pope was as corrupt as the Borgias you have not refuted one moral principle, Non Sequitur.

You know, after a busy day, I love cannibalism, I really do. I cannot tell you how many times I have looked over at my neighbors and said,"They would make a lovely three course meal." What I also love is female empowerment, yes, it is certainly meritorious; here is a tip, don't preach feminism while your empowered uberwomen are all wearing thongs as you zoom and linger upon their backsides. See, it kinda bothered me, they are ruling that area, nobody messes with them and they are dressed all in the uniforms of sexual objectification that, remind me, we were told was a sign of their enslavement? I found it analogous to going to a Vegan meeting with steaks and chops hanging from ropes, it just wrecked the mood for me. I love implied child rape, don't you? Yes, grab more innocent little girls, put them on stools and have drooling freaks leering above them, it was so beautiful, how moving! Yes, I loved the hookers heads mounted like elk upon the wall, what a stunning, aesthetic touch! There is so much beauty in this putative 'classic' I am failing to do it justice.

I also enjoyed seeing a man's testicles ripped off by hand, tell your friends,"Hey, Fred come on over, see this bald yellow dude get his gear ripped clean off." Yes, I will be right over. I loved Goldie too but, gee, maybe he shouldn't kill fifty people for Goldie, what do you think? What depresses me is not the movie, it is the rating of the movie and its vast base of votaries with candles alight around the sewage the movie has always been. Want to know what a society looks like right before its 20 trillion of debt crushes and destroys it? Watch this movie, you don't need my long exposition. When I say decadence: this movie is its quintessential definition. I loved the extolling of the admittedly stunning black and white photography. Yes, stunning: imagine if it had not been used to convey a narrated massacre,"The thrill of the slaughter?" I do think the movie is truly educative, you have not seen depraved until you endure this movie. Featuring the following treats: a man's head jammed into a turd filled toilet bowl, girlfriend beating, blood lust and cruelty that would have offended residents of the cannibal island of Typee.

When you watch this, what you are viewing is the exact mathematical reflection of how powerless the people who view it feel. It is existential vampirism, from its great sadism flow feelings of ontological power to compensate for their painful absence in the real world. As a reviewer, I bestow this singular honor: truly, the most revolting, disgusting, vile, sexist, misogynistic, cruel pagan cannibal festival of blood and death worthy of the Roman Coliseum. Sorry, just not into child rape, cannibalism, castration by hand, my mind was wrecked by all those years in church. Those ethics classes also warped me into caring for others, not destroying them for my pathetic entertainment. A Total Piece Of S. Q.E.D.

"Once More Unto The Breach Dear Friends." Shakespeare

Visually striking and memorable. Dark fun.

Author: Adam Foidart from Winnipeg
16 October 2014

"Sin City" is gritty, dirty, sleazy and violent. It's an excellent adaptation of the graphic novels by Frank Miller and even if you haven't read the original material, it's a lot of fun. This anthology film features characters that are memorable and likable (or despicable) so it will grab your attention and hold on tight the whole way. There are a lot of memorable scenes and lines that are sure to stick with you too but the best part of the film is the art direction and visual style. An element I'm glad they kept from the original source is that the stories are told almost entirely in black and white, with sharp contrast accentuated in many scenes to not only make certain actions more visually striking, but also to make it easy to follow. Then, the movie does something unique. There are dashes of color in certain scenes to make certain actions and characters even more striking. There's a certain character that is highlighted with the color yellow. His physical appearance already makes him stand out, but that use of color makes him feel extra creepy and it's very effective. The sets and character designs (because some characters here are fitted with heavy makeup and prosthetics to make them stand out and look even more unique) make every frame look like a comic book panel, Every shot I saw looked like it had been meticulously planned out, like a piece of art you could have framed on your wall. The bold style isn't just a gimmick though. It's all blended in seamlessly with the story and helps to reinforce the grittyness and themes of corruption while helping accentuate the prevalent violence of the film. My only real criticism is that some of the performances aren't great (Bruce Willis plays it too low-key). It's a disappointment considering some of the others are quite good, and not in the ways you would expect either. I had to do a double take when I realized that was Elijah Wood and Mickey Rourke I just saw! It's a bit of a mixed bag in that department, but everything else is top notch. Once you see "Sin City" you'll be hard pressed to forget it, and not only because of the visuals. (Extended cut on Blu-ray, August 25, 2012)

Visual originality on good old fashioned film noir themes

Author: siderite from Romania
23 September 2014

It's hard to rate a movie that has its focus on style, rather than story, but still manages to use good plots with interesting rich characterization. Is it a perfect film or just a niche genre that cannibalizes comic books and dazzles us with nice visuals and huge stars?

For me it was a bit of both. I loved the visuals and I liked the noir theme, but then I am of a certain age; I grew up with stories like that. The indomitable males that can resort to violence as easily as they breathe and only need a fantasy woman to get into action are kind of an endangered species today, when every hero must obey the politically correct guidelines of the present and all the women must be more than good looking damsels in distress, but you can see how that way of thinking was the archetype of all the hero action movies in the last 50 years. It feels strange to see a 68 year old cop kissing the 19 year old girl who is truly in love with him. Today only Michael Douglas can pull that off, and only in a film that shows how pathetically misguided he is. And how strange it is to get those morally ambiguous endings when the hero wins and also loses. Fair trade?

I can only recommend watching this film. Even if it would have been worse, I would have still recommended it. The unique style, the modernized noir, the amazing cast. The only thing that I kind of disliked was that it is a mosaic film. There are actually three stories and one very short one. They kind of intersect, but only accidentally. Well, watch it.

Visually stunning

Author: Roberta Reppy from Italy
8 September 2014

Well, I think that no one could deny the visual effects of this movie. It was shot to resemble a comic, and the result is absolutely perfect. It makes you feel like you are watching a comic coming to life, animating just in front of you, leaving you stunned. The pure black makes the white so bright that it can blind you. Blood, lights, a tie... something will look like a hole in the screen. And it's is really captivating.

If we want to talk about the stories, well, I was a little unsettled by The Costumer is Always Right. Then I found out it was made to present the project to Miller. I still don't understand why this story was included in the movie, but it's OK. I mean all the credits are longer than the story itself, but...

The first. The first story it's my favorite. Maybe because it included some actors I love like Bruce Willis and Nick Stahl (I really think he is and amazing actor). For a moment, the story between Hartigan and Nancy unsettled me, and it stupid if you think about the amount of violence you can see in this movie.

The hard Goodbye fascinated me for its creepiness. Rourke is amazing in the role, but something about Elijah Wood in the role of Kevin, didn't felt quite right. I couldn't see him in that role.

The dialogues between a dead Del Toro and Dwight were something really interesting, and I really loved the idea about the cut on his throat affecting his voice. It was something absolutely special that made the scene even more creepy.

Many people said this movie was something like a huge hymn to violence, full of characters who didn't have any regret about their actions. What I liked about this movie is that very fact. Bad guys in this movie, are bad guys. They kill because they are son's of bitches, and they kill because they can and they have the power to cover everything. And the people who go against them know that, and that's why they don't feel any remorse for what they do. They torture and take their revenge in the most horrible of the way because they really think they deserve it. And bastards without remorse are my favorite kind of villains.

And, another thing I want to point out, is the amount of beautiful girls in this movie. I know it's not like a fundamental... no wait... Old Town is a place where basically whore are the law, they are like a sorority, protecting their business and their territory, and it looks like they have really high standards for their associates. And Rosario Dawson was absolutely breathtaking.

Tribute to film noir with a mesmerizing visual style

Author: jdkraus from Maineville, Ohio
31 July 2013

Film noir. A genre often about violent men stuck in a corrupt, crime-ridden city filled with menacing thugs and succubusses. The main character's situation is often a result of past mistakes, current mistakes, or just plain bad luck. This genre has been revamped over and over again, but not with such a strong flare as "Sin City." The movie itself is not only an example of the popular genre, but it is also like watching a comic book brought to life. Based off of the short stories from Frank Miller, "Sin City" is a unique tribute to the good old crime films combined with the visual style that Zack Snyder and "The Spirit" has copied from--desaturated tone, with strong emphasis on bright colors like red for blood, blue for eyes, and yellow for well...the yellow bastard.

To explain the story of this movie would be like trying to read its outline aloud. It is not necessarily complex, on the contrary, it is straightforward. The best way to put it is a collection of four stories spread out through the two-hour film, and they are somehow tied together. Sounds very similar to Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction." This is not surprising since he was a "guest director" for the film. That aside, the pace and various plots are never dull or pretentious. Each separate plot stands on its own yet has the magic to relate to the movie's whole picture. All very good I say.

The all-star cast makes this movie very impressionable. Mickey Rourke stands out very strong. The hard-ass he plays feels so in character for him, like with his wonderful work in "The Wrestler." It may seem unfair to mention Rourke first. However, each actor, no matter their length of screen time, fits their characters with sublime perfection. Willis, Owen, Wood, Duncan, Dawson, Alba--all of them match Rourke's caliber in this film.

In short, "Sin City" is a great movie for people with an acquire taste for comic books and film noir. The down-to-earth people who like to stick with romantic comedies and conventional action flicks may not like this so much. "Sin City" is not meant for everyone. It is full of gratuitous sexual content and bloody, stylized violence that ranges from cartoonish to borderline sadistic (cannibalism and castration are actions that are explored). As a viewer who relishes such debauchery put to the extreme though, I love it. A fun, visually gripping, and on occasion ridiculous, "Sin City" succeeds. It is unfortunate that Rodriguez did not take home an Oscar for Cinemaotgraphy.

A Perfect Screen Adaption of an Excellent Comic

Author: adrien-jb from United Kingdom
16 June 2013

Hard to know what else to say other than what is in the title.

The genre of comic book requires reader effort and imagination to fill the blanks and join the dots between each frame. So this movie requires the same. Especially true of the more adult comics.

There is a mistaken assumption that comics, like science fiction are just for children. They can be for children, like most politics is. However, Frank Miller - like Philip K Dick or Kurt Vonnegut - write for adults.

You are not spoon fed anything, except excellent visuals and gloriously dark dialogue and authentic Frank Miller story lines.

The who's who cast list each give a glorious and iconic performance. They all wanted to be in this movie. It is worth understanding why they wanted to be there.

Thankfully, this movie has not Holywoodized the story in any way shape or form (unlike the first attempt at Dredd and the especially horrible adaptation of Electra: Assassin also written by Frank Miller and illustrated by Bill Sienkiewicz.) I hope you enjoy.

Now and again Hollywood hits home with something really great

Author: Red-Barracuda from Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
4 August 2012

As comic book adaptions go, you just don't get any better than this. Sin City does a rare thing where it scores equally highly as a piece of innovative visual art as it does as entertainment. Much of the success must surely be put down to Robert Rodriguez working alongside Frank Miller the creator of the comic. With Miller on board it meant that the movie was unlikely to end up being watered down and safe. In actual fact Sin City is a fairly uncompromising movie as far as comic-book adaptions go. It's full of sadism, sexuality and perversion. This is in keeping with the original comic which was based in a place full of corruption, sleaze and violence.

The narrative is made up of several inter-connected crime stories, á la Pulp Fiction (in fact Quentin Tarantino directed the scene where Dwight and Jackie Boy talk in a car). Much of the information is given via voice-overs that detail the central character's inner thoughts. All of this comes direct from the original comic's pages which adds further to the faithfulness of the adaption. But over and above everything Sin City is a film of amazing visuals. Alternatively beautiful and grotesque, the look of the film is always highly inventive and experimental. The choice of doing the film in black and white with selective colour was a very bold one. But it's a decision that paid off massively.

The cast is outstanding. Amongst others, Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Rosario Dawson, Benico Del Toro, Bruce Willis, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, Nick Stahl and Rutger Hauer star in a selection of very memorable roles. Rourke, Owen and Willis are the three central characters and all are very solid. Wood and Stahl are both seriously creepy as respectively a serial killer and a hideous paedophile. While Rosario Dawson and Jessica Alba simply melt the screen such is their sheer sex appeal. In general, Sin City is considerably sexier than most Hollywood movies. Its sensuality is in fact one of its main strengths.

Violent, sexy and cinematically inventive. That's Sin City. A real triumph.

The most innovating Hollywood movie of the last years

Author: kluseba from Gatineau, Canada
23 May 2012

Sin City is a visually stunning and even revolutionary movie that convinces with many different and often intriguing side stories that all lead to a fascinating whole complex structure and a bunch of very famous actors that also give their very best in this film.

This neo-noir is based on Frank Miller's amazing graphic novel series and both the novels and the movie prove that Hollywood cinema must not hide behind the Asian wave of the manga boom and can still offer something innovating on their own instead of focusing on desperately copying the unbeatable masterpieces from other countries.

The movie contains a very Gothic atmosphere, many cool and unique characters, a shot of very dark humour, some brutal and surprisingly gore killing scenes, a few breathtaking action passages and nevertheless some almost soft and emotional moments that add some depth to some of the characters. This high degree of diversity makes you want to discover more and more precious details in this film and watch it over and over again year after year. I still can't wait for the second movie that will come out next year.