IMDb > Sin City (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sin City

Sin City More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 175: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Sin In Spanish Means Without

Author: A.W Richmond (adelitarichheaven@outlook.com) from United States
6 June 2005

A feast for the eyes but not the senses, well maybe one. That in itself is not a bad thing unless you go to the movies for entirely different reasons you go to a theme park and take a ride. I admired what computers can do in the hands of visual artists. Some of the images where out of a Gustav Dorè of the future, I mean the present. A Dorè with sudden bursts of red the reddest red you've ever seen. I must confess I was very unfamiliar with the comic "Sin City" is based on. A male fantasy of the first order. Blood, guts, huge guns and fabulous babes. The almost adolescent Jessica Alba throws herself in the arms of Bruce Willis, promising eternal love. Willis, by the way, is terrific so is Clive Owen. My God what a face! A heroic movie icon for the ages. Mickey Rourke picks up where he left off, deformed, full of blood and moving, very moving in a chilling kind of way. I didn't recognize Benicio del Toro until it was too late. Rosario Dawson, Brittany Murphy and the afore mentioned Jessica Alba are nothing short of spectacular. To boot Josh Harnett appears as beautifully creepy bookends. And yet, I was left with a sense of frustration. I was in the mood for a movie and found myself in a theme park ride. But if you're in the mood for that, I recommend it.

A perfect translation from page to screen.

Author: lewiskendell from United States
17 April 2010

Well before I left the theater, the first time I watched Sin City, I knew it was going to be one of my favorite movies, ever. It's one of the rare movies that I went to the theater to see multiple times, forcefully dragging along any of my friends who hadn't seen it (and the smart ones who already had). It's just that good. It's the best film ever based on comic books or graphic novels, and I doubt that will ever change (until Sin City 2, that is).

Robert Rodriguez realized that the source material was basically perfect, all he had to do was get the cinematography and casting right. And he succeeded brilliantly. The nearly frame-for-frame creation of the comic panels works so well, because there's nothing really that could have been added to improve what was on the page. And the sheer amount of great actors and actresses collected here is impressive, to say the least. They embody the characters without overwhelming them.

This isn't the perfect movie for everyone, but I don't see how it could disappoint anyone who is familiar with the novels, a fan of Miller's style, or anyone who enjoys a dark, funny, and stylish action movie. I love it from the very first scene to the very last. Which is great, because I'm sure I'll have watched it at least 20 more times, before a sequel gets made.

Rough and tumble entertainment at its best

Author: ben_jammin88 from Germany
17 April 2005

Surreal and artful, this movie hammers you through two hours of abstracted gore with stylistic vengeance that says "Gotcha!" It takes itself seriously - as a time-piece (which time, however, is arguable) and as a living graphic novel. It is truer to comic-book form than any sissy "Spiderman" or "Hellboy." It's characters are disgusting and lovable - from a blood-drenched Mickey Roarke to the scantily-clad women of old town; Samuri-sword yielding Devon Aoki and the chronically-naked Carla Cugino. If there's room for improvement it's that Mickey Roarke dies too soon, and that Bruce Willis shows too much restraint in the face of great temptation... sometimes, as is the case with Jessica Alba, less (clothing)is better! In short, Sin City hits the mark.. again and again, until it's pummeling bone chunks and pulp into the theater floor!

Same old stuff wrapped up in a new package

Author: jack_thursby from United States
4 April 2005

Sin City is Frank Miller's "Sin City" comic book brought to life by the directorial magic of Robert Rodriguez with the able assistance of co-director Frank Miller and special guest director Quentin Tarantino.

Packed with hot young Hollywood talent (Rosario Dawson, Jessica Alba, Brittany Murphy) and cagey old acting vets (Bruce Willis, Rutger Hauer, Mickey Rourke) the movie is a technical and visual tour de force that has been described as the best adaption of a comic book to grace the silver screen. And actually, it is... the movie is a living comic book from the dialogue to the look of the characters to the camera-work. "Sin City" is also shot mainly in black and white, adding considerably to the feel and the atmosphere of the movie, which is best described as grim, gritty, violent, sadistic and slightly misogynistic.

And it's this atmosphere that causes me to question "Sin City". It's no accident that Tarantino is associated with this project since "Sin City" and the comic book its based on are the children of the pulp movie genre which Tarantino popularized with "Reservoir Dogs", "Pulp Fiction" and the "Kill Bill" series. And this leads me to ask: how much sadistic violence is enough? I like flying body parts and savage beatings as much as the next film-goer but I'm starting to get tired of it because every new "edgy" "pulpy" "gritty" movie now has the same elements. The shocking graphic violence, the tough guy characters and the hard boiled dialogue which once was fresh and new has been reduced to worn out clichés.

Not to mention the misogyny running through "Sin City". In one scene the movie shows a wall full of chopped off women's heads displayed as trophies. Sure, it can be viewed as part of the story but what exactly are the filmmakers trying to say? What purpose does the scene serve? Its just shock for the sake of shock. Also, the women in the movie are depicted as whores, strippers, or helpless victims. Again, its part of the movie world but what point are the directors trying to make?

Perhaps I'm jaded, but having watched more than a few of these types of movies I'm now waiting for a director to take the Tarantino formula into a new direction. With "Sin City" the genre has completely been played out, there's nothing new story wise and we're treated to variations of the same old characters we've seen before. Ultimately, the only distinguishing feature of "Sin City" is the visual style of the movie. Is it enough? Maybe, but not to me. It would be cool to see something new in terms of character development or story once in awhile.

Watch any frame of Sin City and you don't have to imagine anything.

Author: Son_of_Mansfield from Mansfield, Pennsylvania.
3 March 2007

All the colors and violence are laid on thick for a good reason, to cover the thread bare plot and the occasionally silly dialogue. But does it really matter? This is a wild and noir experience that is the best hybrid of a graphic novel and a film that I have ever seen. It may be over the top, but you can't take your eyes off of it. One of the biggest attributes is the stunning all star cast. The stand outs are Clive Owen, Rosario Dawson, and Mickey Rourke. Clive Owen could easily star in a modern noir with his deep voice and troubled looks, Rosario Dawson gets to be the bad girl with a pair of handcuffs and mohawk, and Mickey Rourke steals the show as the psycho Marv. He chews into the role and personifies the movie as a whole. Sometimes ugly, sometimes funny, always mesmerizing. Like it or not, it's a unique experience.

P.S. Exactly how many men in this movie lost their private parts? Eww.

Best Comic Adaptation Ever

Author: Imdbidia from Planet Earth
14 February 2011

In Sin City nobody is innocent, not even the Bishop, and they are going to pay for that.

The movie is based, both the story and aesthetics, in the noir comic by Frank Miller, who is also co-director of the film,together with Robert Rodriguez; Quentin Tarantino was invited to direct one of the scenes. The movie intertwines four different stories, whose characters will cross paths at certain point: The Customer Is Always Right, The Hard Goodbye, The Big Fat Kill, and That Yellow Bastard The movie is visually stunning and stylish. It looks and feels like a real noir comic, with camera framing and positioning typical of comic vignettes, as well as the use of high contrast B&W and chiaroscuro. The movie has wonderful black, white and sepia tones with cutout reds and bright colors, a technique widely used in Photography and drawing, but never used in movies before. The movie was completely shot using green backgrounds.

The movie is heart-attack paced, with no a moment of dullness or rest. However, is not for the heart faint, as it is extremely violent and gory, very hard to watch sometimes. The fact that those being punished deserve it, does not make the violence easier to swallow.

The characters are never dull, very human - never good or bad, but both things. Moreover, they are at very melancholic types, funny and merciless.

The movie delights the viewer with terrific performances by a large group of A-listed actors. However, Mickey Rourke, Bruce Willis, Benicio Del Toro, Clive Owen and Rosario Dawson really shine through. Jessica Alba and Elija Wood, who are usually a bore, are terrific in their respective roles, too.

The best comic adaptation I have ever seen.

Entertainment and quality together. Brilliant

Sin City

Author: random_avenger
12 August 2010

Many movies based on comic books (or graphic novels, if you insist) have been somewhat lackluster, but Sin City certainly delivers what it promises. The episodic film consists of four partly intertwining stories, each having different emphases even if they look superficially similar. The film opens and closes with an enigmatic hit-man (Josh Hartnett) taking care of his customers. The second and penultimate story arcs recount the fate of a somewhat honest cop Hartigan (Bruce Willis) who saves a young girl from a pedophile, but sees no justice being made. The next story is about Marv (Mickey Rourke), a big and gruff man of the streets who avows to avenge the death of a hooker he once briefly loved. The remaining story deals with Dwight (Clive Owen) who gets in trouble with the police while protecting his girlfriend and has to resort to the help of the vigilante prostitutes of a special region of the city.

In Sin City everything is exaggerated: the starkly contrasted black & white cinematography, the sparse but powerful use of colour, the pulpily poetic narration and the caricature-like characters. On the one hand it's awesome, kick-ass and all that, but on the other hand it is also distressing, overwhelmingly devoid of hope and even disgusting in spite of the over-the-top comical coolness it oozes. Especially Marv's story carries a sense of gruesome beauty in his devotion to the memory of the dead whore and his antagonist, a silent cannibal killer Kevin (Elijah Wood), is extremely creepy in his cold enjoyment of his fate – there are no signs of Frodo Baggins to be seen here. If Marv's story is the most dramatic, the Dwight one is the most comedic and provides more of the kick-ass type of action. It's all good, but I don't think the impact is as great as with Marv.

Hartigan's story is decent too and conveys the sense of isolation and diminishing hope within the bars of Hartigan's cramped solitary confinement cell. His antagonist, the literally Yellow Bastard (Nick Stahl), is rather overblown but who isn't, in Sin City? The hanging scene particularly (and literally) captures the feel of suffocation in the world where hope is a luxury. In contrast with the other stories, the Hit-man tale with Josh Hartnett bookending the film remains the shortest and the most enigmatic. Very little is revealed about the hit-man and he himself admits he doesn't know the reasons for the violence, but at the same time it comes out so naturally that avoiding it is not an option.

The constant, even ridiculous exaggerating of the cruel nature of Sin City could have been just a funny action movie or a laughably heavy-handed overstatement of Man's nature, but I think it works both as an actioner and an emotionally draining experience. If the viewer allows himself or herself be sucked into the world of Marv or Hartigan while looking beyond the obvious and intentional silliness, there's beauty to be found. It may not be very subtly or exquisitely presented, but in my opinion the pieces really fall into place here and everything makes sense – Sin City can only be strongly recommended.

Comic Genius

Author: pixiesrule77 from United Kingdom
27 January 2009

"Walk down the right alleyway in Sin City and you can find anything."

A film for which the term "Graphic" (and all its connotations) was invented for, and quite simply the best comic book film adaptation I have ever seen (with "Batman Begins" probably coming up slightly behind it in 2nd place) Frank Miller's "Sin City" is an extremely brutal, wonderfully violent, incredibly stylised tale of cops, criminals, and stunning-looking prostitutes.

With a cast to die for (and believe me many do in quite graphic ways) Bruce Willis, Michael Masden, Rutger Hauer, Jessica Alba, Benicio Del Toro, Josh Hartnett, Elijah Wood, Rosario Dawson all shine through in a heady ensemble, but it's Mickey Rourke looking almost unrecognisable as Marv who steals the show, giving the performance (so far) of his chequered career.

A must see for all comic book fans.

"Sin City" describes the all things which should be in a Sin City with an amazing directing

Author: asenkron from Turkey
15 October 2007

I haven't watched too many films which are based on the comics but I have a little information about them. So I can say that Sin City breaks new ground in this sector by many side. For example, the colours used in it are so amazing. White-black weighted film uses the red for the violence and sex and uses the yellow dirt. Hartigan's, Marv's and Dwight's actions are all MARVellous. You don't leave even just a second to the screen by watching them.

Many people criticize the comment that Tarantino's affect is felt in the movie but he's really there. This staff had made me amazed before I watched it because Madsen, Willis and the others have the all properties for a spectator who follow the Tarantino's line.

Sin City is candidate to enter to the mostly watched classicals.

Good film, AMAZING style

Author: Purity_of_Essence87 from United States
2 April 2005

I just saw this film and all i have to say is wow! Not so much the acting, which for the most part was okay, but i have never seen a film done like this. It was so incredibly innovative and mindblowing. Shooting in black and white was the perfect idea, and especially adding colour for certain that dramatic effect. You know, someone's eyes, blood, lipstick, etc. It was just really cool because it was like reading a comic book..without the...reading part?

Only downside to the film was that it got a little bit slow around the middle, but jeez what a story. I liked the Film Noir style narration, and the characters are all so extreme they are just so cool. Elijah Wood really freaked me out as Kevin. Brucy does a good job and so does Rourke, Del Toro, Alba, and everyone pretty much.

I leave you with, see this movie, you will either love it or hate it, but it's worth the view.