IMDb > Open Season (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

OK, Shrek-like story...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
16 December 2006

1st watched 12/15/2006 - 4 out of 10(Dir-Jill Culton, Roger Allers & Anthony Stacchi): OK, Shrek-like story about a couple of animal misfits who link up with the rest of the animal kingdom in the backwoods to fight against the human hunters when it's open season. The story starts off as a pet-like grizzly bear named Boog(voiced by Martin Lawrence) has it easy living in the garage of a kind of circus-like handler of a outdoorsy show for the parks department. Ashton Kutcher is the voice of a deer who arrives mounted on the car of a hunter and Boog lets him go. Boog then gets released by his handler to the wild and the Shrek-like imitation starts with the two trying to be Shrek & Donkey on a trek to get back to Boog's original home. There are some funny scenes with Kutcher being his goofy self in a great role for him and some classic uses of normal objects as weapons in the fight scene against the hunters, but not enough to sustain the full-length movie. The music(another attempt at Shrek-imitation) is also pretty lame. This movie will definitely not last too long or be recognized as much in the annals of animation history, in my opinion.

A waste of time.

Author: John Dillon from United Kingdom
21 September 2007

As the standard of animation continues to rise, its a shame that the quality of the features produces spirals downwards! Open Season is a prime example of how great animation doesn't make a good film. The film is completely let down by its voice actors.

Boog is obnoxious and selfish, and in no way likable. Its not Martin Lawerence playing the character, its simply him turning up and being himself. Same goes for Ashton Kutcher who voices Boogs friend.

The jokes are few and far between and the entire thing is a disgrace, acting as a quick buck for Lawerence and Kutcher.

The studios should give some real thought to hiring professional voice actors, rather than actors, who at best have limited talent as it is.

any spoilers? what, there is something to spoil in this movie???

Author: speeedo7 from Vienna
21 January 2007

yep, i can hardly remember anything about this movie, except there was a bear and some other animals. and yep it was greatly animated! in desperate search for the beginning, end and a plot you may see all of them clichés summed together in a cheap manner: Austin powers, typical Disney-like plot-try, a very, very, very bad try to rip off Shrek and HIS sidekick...

it generally lacks - everything, but mostly the story. as if the Sony *MARKETING* guys made "brainstorming" picking the "best of laughs" - spicing it up with "national" kinda bias: Irish, Austrian, etc. whatever... and gave it to cg people.

wrong. terribly wrong.

Entertaining, but full of clichés

Author: animationchick from United States
30 September 2006

Braved the kiddies to see 'Open Season' last night, the first completely computer-generated motion picture to be created by Sony Pictures Animation (SPA). The basic storyline is as cliché as you can get: a typical fish out of water story. Boorg (voiced by Martin Lawrence), the loving bear who was rescued by a ranger and raised basically like a pet dog, has gotten too big and is now released into the wild during *gasp* Open Season, which is the time when the humans come into the forest to hunt the animals. Boorg must now typically adapt to his surroundings, including using the bathroom outside (which is hilarious), finding food, among other things.

No fish out of water story would be complete without a side-kick helping the character adapt. This time its the lovable and funny Elliot (voiced by Ashton Kutcher), a down-on-his-luck deer who has been kicked out of his herd and is being hunted by The Big Bad Hunter. Elliot just wants some friends, and wants Boorg to be his friend. The whole time I couldn't help thinking that the character of Elliot was a direct rip-off of the Donkey from Shrek. However, Donkey and Shrek are themselves a rip-off of every buddy-film of all time.

So Boorg adapts, makes some great new friends, including the cute-as-a-button porcupine (my favorite character), and generally learns to the ways of the forest. However misfortune drops Boorg and his new buddies into prime hunting ground the exact day of Open Season, and the hunters are going to get them! What is a giant grizzly going to do about this problem? I'm guessing that you can figure it out.

Overall, the film was entertaining. The kiddies just loved it, however the movie basically fell prey to lots of animated clichés that have been done before, and better. The supporting characters are hilarious, but perhaps a tad underdeveloped. Honestly, the movies' best lines and jokes were in the previews that I've seen many times. I hate when that happens! My main complaint about the film was the pacing of the story. The story itself left something to be desired, because it was very predictable and filled with clichés. However, something was off in the end. The film started out pretty good, building up to a giant climax in which the animals fight back against the humans. However, in the third act, the movie sputters and ends too fast. I kept thinking that there was going to be another battle, another fight, another something, however I was wrong. For all the build-up, it was a disappointing end, almost like it was too easy. The end needed some tweaking, that's for sure.

What about the animation? In general it was pretty damn impressive. Boorg the bear was done very well, especially with his fur, which looked completely realistic. When you don't notice the fur and it becomes part of the character, that is when you know that you've done a good job. Again, the supporting cast were adorably cute and well done, especially the porcupine. The color palette and general scenery fit the story well, all deliberately thought out to give the audience a Tex Avery cartoon feel. For me, the most impressive scene or sequence in the film was one in which the animals are in water (yes another animated movie that features water). I'm always impressed with water, because I've attempted it myself, and it ain't easy. However in 'Open Season' it looked just beautiful, and it was flawless. I really felt like I was white water rafting! It was amazing.

Overall, while entertaining, 'Open Season' is not even close to the Pixars of the animated world. The story was weak and utilized too many predictable clichés. Unfortunately, 'Open Season' has fell victim to the current over-saturated animation market in which studios attempt to quickly release lower quality movies in order to maximize profits. However, studios forget the main element that guarantees a hit: THE STORY!! A movie cannot work if the story isn't developed correctly. 'Open Season' could have been a solid movie if the script was rewritten. Nevertheless, it's entertaining enough, the animation is of course stellar, and it will definitely entertain the kiddies. I just wish the story would have been more thought out.

:::www.animationchick.com:::

It's Craptastic!

Author: bruceas (bruceas@hotmail.com) from Vancouver, Canada
2 February 2007

If you liked "Shark Tale", you'll love this abomination. Pretty much written by committee, this movie takes no chances when telling the same clichéd "buddy" story... only this time, it's set in the woods during hunting season! A few chuckles, but otherwise bereft of any real humour or wit. Might keep the kids entertained, but a real snoozer for adults.

Main voices are provided by Ashton Kutcher and Martin Lawrence (at least it's not Will Smith!), so this should tell you something of the mentality that produced this picture. Not quite as bad as the aforementioned "Shark Tale", but certainly nowhere near the quality that you've come to expect from studios such as Pixar.

Boring, no humor found

Author: rommel_ro from Romania
11 January 2007

The animation and graphics are very nice in this movie. The characters look funny, the artists dealing with the graphics did a great job. Very good soundtrack, also. And that was all. The game was more entertaining, and I usually don't like this kind of games. The story and the lines were just plain boring. I could't find any jokes in this movie. (In Barnyard I did find a joke (one).)

The characters deserved a better script. This is my opinion. They tried to let all the funny part on the animation and on the situations they face, on their accent (scotish and french accent should be funny) and on music.

Recommended for children under 12.

not what I was expecting..

Author: tweetyrox2003 from Australia
2 December 2006

After getting free tickets to the premiere of 'Open Season', I was expecting to see a great animated film, like Shrek and Monster's Inc. I ended up coming out disappointed. If you're taking your 5/6 year old kids, they'll probably like it. About half way through the movie I was expecting it to have a twist or something but my friend and I were pretty much bored through the whole movie. It's definitely not a family movie, and I suggest to keep it to the under 10s. Overall, I'm pretty glad the tickets were free. Watch something a little more worthwhile, but that's just my opinion. If you're not so much into comedy, then it's OK. Not hilarious, but cute... .... ... ... ... ... ... .... ..... .

Shakes head wistfully

Author: mooseblw023-1 from Pacific Northwest, United States
27 October 2006

I've come to expect Hollywood to fill their wares with their liberal viewpoints, but anytime they take a political viewpoint and build a cute story around it with a target audience that hasn't reached puberty yet I see it more as propaganda than entertainment. I will grant you that it's clever and witty propaganda - but that just makes it worse. Quick name a few movies where the hunters are good guys. Not easy, is it? It's easy to find hunters as bad guys though. A few obvious and animated ones (just to keep the list short) are this movie, Rescuers Down Under, and Tarzan. Maybe instead of vilifying hunters we should focus on responsible game management which includes hunting as part of it. Don't start dishing crap that responsible game management is not appropriate for children to understand and then turn around and preach animal rights. The Lion King at least mentioned the 'Circle of Life' but they left man out of it. There are millions of people in the US alone that engage in safe, responsible hunting and hunting is included in science-based game management programs everywhere. Most money for conservation programs comes from hunters and hunting-related businesses. Hunting is pretty mainstream - quit demonizing it. I know that most of you will think I'm making way too much of a fuss out of a children's movie, but children grow up with half-formed opinions that are rooted in all sorts of things they were exposed to as children. Then they start voting based on those half-formed opinions. Rant over.

A friendly grizzly just wants to find home.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
27 October 2006

An interesting and funny animated comedy that really doesn't measure up to a slew of the most recent movies of this same type. A 900-pound domesticated grizzly named Boog(Martin Lawrence)(voice)is taken and let go high in the woods by his caretaker Beth(Debra Messing)(voice). It happens to be three days before the opening day of hunting season; and one hunter, Shaw(Gary Sinise)(voice), in particular wants to make a trophy of Boog. The emotional grizzly has a new partner, Elliot(Ashton Kutcher)(voice), who is hard to shake. The two have to survive open season in order to get back to Boog's garage home. Typical prepubescent potty humor; the small amount of adult humor slips by most kids. Other stars lending their voices are: Jane Krakowski, Billy Connolly, Gordon Tootoosis and Georgia Engel.

Totally pathetic animation film

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
10 October 2006

Open season is one of the worst animation film from last years(if not the worst).This movie is a copy of Madagascar,The wild and Over the hedge.But it seems that the animated movie with animals is a new cliché because coming soon,there are movies like Happy Feet,The barnyard and Ratatouille which are more animated movies with animals.This movie was extremely boring for me and I watched my clock all the time.I don't recommend this pathetic animated film;maybe for little children(from 1 year to 5 years old)the movie is fun.But for older children and for adults this is pathetic and totally boring.

Rating:3