Open Season (2006) Poster

(2006)

Open Season: The start of a new journey.
In 2006, Sony Pictures Animation decided to make there move and make there first animated movie! Open Season. To be honest, it's actually a good start for the company. The movie is actually not that terrible! There is adult jokes in the movie. For instance, in the beginning when Ranger Beth was going to show that domesticated bear Boog was going to do, Boog see's some hunters while driving down and Boog decides to slap his butt in front of them. Extremely unnecessary, but funny too! It's a great movie for mature kids! 6 out of 10!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best film in animation history!!!
Stephen Chase20 February 2016
Funny cast includes Martin Lawrence, Ashton Kutcher, and Debra Messing. Plot includes the sugar-crush, the songs, and more!!! Patrick Warburton adds to this cast of actors, plus we get other stars. So, if you rent a movie, or just buy one, buy this one (or rent it), I don't give two lamb shakes. Hahaha. Very funny!!!! Cool beans. Rock-n-roll, man!!!!! We love cartoon flicks, and music videos!! If you don't like Open Season, then do not blame me. Blame yourself. I love rocking out to soundtracks, do you? When can I see the two sequels? Only time will tell. Boog is a funny bear. And his buddy Elliot is a great mule deer. Please be kind-- rewind. Just joking. We don't rewind DVDs, I mean we do sometimes. We only rewind if we miss a moment or two. Sweet!!!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Bear Necessity.
Python Hyena30 November 2015
Open Season (2006): Dir: Roger Allers, Jill Culton / Voices: Martin Lawrence, Ashton Kutcher, Gary Sinise, Debra Messing, Billy Connolly: Although often funny, here is an example of a film that forgets its target audience. It is the dawn of new things as Boog, a bear that performs, frees mule deer Elliott from the clutches of hunter Shaw. Simple setup leads to both animals released into the wild and dealing with hunting season, which leads to a corny retaliation. Structure works because animal personalities shine. Director Roger Allers is joined by Jill Culton and both are backed by detailed animation. Boog is voiced by Martin Lawrence as a grizzly bear with a life of his own. He lived a life of luxury in Ranger Beth's garage but once free in the wild, he is unable to fend for himself. He is voiced by Martin Lawrence, with Ashton Kutcher stealing much of the film as Elliott, the one-horned mule deer. Gary Sinise voices hunter Shaw in what amounts to a cardboard character cliché that never seems to elevate. Debra Messing as Beth is another case of lazy character placement. As an owner of Boog she had potential, but she gets reduced to an after thought. Billy Connolly voices a gray squirrel and that is amongst the several animals that appear and are better seen on Animal Planet. Theme regards friendship although certain species by nature do not collaborate regardless what season is open. Score: 6 / 10
Nice try but no
Terryfan14 November 2015
When you think about Open Season you either love it or hate it there is no in between on it.

I first watch the movie when it came to TV and looking back on it I have to say the film just has a mix of awe and disgust

While it does offer some watchable moments most of the film just feels like it's not right to be a family movie let alone one for adults to watch.

The first complain I have is the animation I mean what have I been looking at? because it sure wasn't animation because most of the character models look unrealistic and down right ugly I mean I have seen much better animation

The voice acting is pretty good which is one of the few things I say was good about this film

Humor in this film often feels funny some had the gross comedy which really ruin the movie for me there are some funny bits but the gross comedy just destroy the film

While it feature a creative story it just don't feel like a winner

I give Open Season an 5 out of 10
Not For Children
api_lo7921 January 2015
This movie is really not for children, unless you want your 5 year old to ask you what a certain profane word means. I had to keep playing it over to make sure I wasn't hearing it wrong. I surely wouldn't let a child watch this. I know some of the new cartoon movies get a little raw but this is ridiculous. It is rated PG, but so is "Shrek"and I don't recall anything that offensive. I gave it 2 stars because I don't care for movies that take the cartoon medium which was originally intended for children and inject profanity and things that parents would like to keep their children from seeing and hearing. At least I'm hoping that most parents would like to do this. It's a shame because without the profanity, I would have given it a much better score.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quite a good entertainment, but not more than that
Johan Dondokambey30 June 2014
The story is nice, looking at hunting activity from the perspective of the ones being hunted. It is also being developed well with having additional complications. But the whole thing doesn't seem to hold together. The funny stuff doesn't really get funny. Martin Lawrence and Ashton's Kutcher's effort for crazy voices did just a little to help the movie to be funny. One strange thing I notice is that only Elliot, the one-antler goofed up mule deer that is the animal which stands on his rear feet beside Boog the Grizzly bear. It's quite normal to see bears and smaller critters like rabbits, squirrels and skunks portrayed standing on their rear feet because bear do that in reality. But concerning Elliot, he is the only other big animal who does that, while the other mule deer, including his love interest Giselle, stands on all four legs.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Certainly not Pixar
SnoopyStyle10 November 2013
Wild deer Elliot (Ashton Kutcher) leads domesticated Grizzly bear Boog (Martin Lawrence) to the outside in search of candy. They ransack a convenient store and then the next day, they disrupt a park show. Boog's trainer park ranger Beth (Debra Messing) has no choice but to release Boog into the wilds right before Open Season. The two has to lead the other animals in the forest to fight against the hunters.

Sony Animation is still unable to catch up to Pixar in terms of technical quality or story writing. It's a good enough movie but in no way in the same league as Cars which opened at around the same time. The characters lack the cool or interesting look. The story is functional but isn't inventive enough. Animals and hunters in the wild seems like scratching the surface of the imagination process.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Maybe it's a moonburn. Check it out
Chrysanthepop18 July 2013
'Open Season' is an adequate family entertainer. The colourful and lively visuals make it pleasing to the eyes. The characters are likable too. However, the film has nothing new to offer. It certainly doesn't stand out among other recent animated features. The story itself has been told and repeated numerous times. It's your typical 'coming of age' back to the wild plot. The comedy at times feels overdone and some of the characters are clichéd. The voice acting, especially by the supporting voices, is very good. Billy Connelly's voicing of the squirrel was terrific. In the end, while 'Open Season' is no classic, it's not a bad film and it has more than its moments and is cute enough to be a decent popcorn entertainer.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Most spoiled bear you will ever know !
adi_200222 April 2013
Two comedians give life in this animated film to a bear named Boog and Elliot a very naughty deer. Beth is Boog's mistress she takes care of him, gives food a shelter in a garage where it is treated exactly as a pet and he in turn provides some entertainment for the locals. Everything changes when he meets Elliot. He is intentionally hit by a car and placed on the hood by a hunter. Boog helps him escape but Elliot can not forget and goes at Boog's home to thank him and plans to stick with him. He can not accept that and get's rids of him. Then he make his appearance at one of his shows and behind the scenes gives the audience a frightening scene but of course is not what it seems but even so people get scared and run. Then Beth decides it's time for him to go in the wild but as he is accustomed to city life can not live in the forest and how it is with Elliot make a pact with him, that shows the way to the city on condition they become partners. It turns out that Elliot was lying and does not know the way, it goes on random through the woods where Boog meets the other animals who make fun of him but when they hear that there are a few days and start hunting season everyone allies to ban the hunting. Beth find out what is happening and decide it's time to bring Boog home but he realizes that he can not leave his friends and decides to stay with them in the woods. A funny movie overall. I liked it when the two stormed into the candy store and ate everything they found but hilarious is Elliot who is more agile than the big bear Boog and offers several humorous scenes. And Ashton's voice fits perfectly.
Cute, Funny, Great Message
rannynm14 December 2012
This film is very cute, it makes me laugh, and has a great message. Boog (Martin Lawrence), a grizzly bear, is unwillingly taken out of the comfort and warmth of his garage. He is far away from his owner Beth (Debra Messing) and is stuck in the forest with a very annoying mule, Elliot (Ashton Kutcher.) Boog is trying to find a way to get back to his garage and owner, but hunting season is just starting. Will he be able to make it back to the safety and comfort of his home in one piece? Well, you must tune in to see.

I like this film because of the comedy, the background music and the plot is very easy to understand. I think the talent does a really great job with the voice-overs and fit the part well. I love animated films and think the animation in Open Season is really good.

My favorite part is when Boog is trying to catch some fish because he is hungry. So when he goes to the river to do his fishing, the fish slap him right in the face. Boog is left standing there extremely humiliated. My favorite character is Elliot, because he has a free spirit, funny and he keeps me laughing.

Here are few of the people that make this film possible and do a good job. The directors are Roger Allers, Jill Culton and Anthony Stacchi (co-director). Some additional voice-overs in this animated film are, Gary Sinise (Shaw), Billy Connolly (McSquizzy), and Georgia Engel (Bobbie).

A message I found in this film is that you can't always depend on someone else to take care of you. One day they might not be there to protect you, so you have to look out for yourself. Boog is used to Beth taking care of him, but once he enters the forest he has no idea what to do.

I recommend Open Season for ages 6 to 13; they will definitely get it a kick out of it. It's good film for the family to sit down and enjoy it too. I give this film 4 out of 5 stars. It has a good message, the animation is great and it is an enjoyable film. Make sure you get a glimpse of the forest in Open Season.

Brianna Hope Beaton, age 13, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
They should have stopped here
Robert18 April 2012
My first review on this site as a registered user was Open season 2. I had, of course, previously seen Open Season 1 and then just a few weeks ago saw Open Season 3. Seeing all of them now (and the 1st for the second time) I can now exclaim that they should have stopped at this movie.

I was okay with it for the most part. The things that bugged me most was just the bear giving in and becoming friends with the annoying animal that almost ruined his life multiple times. I do understand the message, however I found it kind of odd and didn't make the movie as good as it could have been.

Anyway, it's still better than the second movie and definitely better than the third movie. Thus, I rate it 7/10.
A decent, but uninspired effort from Sony Pictures Animation
I've just gotta say that I'm just a little disappointed in this movie. It's not bad or anything, but it would've been so much better. The computer animation has some nice colorful backgrounds, but it seems to be suffered by it's shallow character animation. The characters are either uninteresting or annoying except McSquizzy because he gave me a few chuckles here and there. The story, while having it's moments, is just painfully predictable that uses the same old "buddy" cliché from other animated features. The humor has it's funny parts, but then it gets very tiresome it would make you snooze throughout the film. The strongest aspects goes to the adequate music score from Ramin Djawadi and the voice cast in this film. Martin Lawrence and Ashton Kutcher did great and so were a few cameos including Patrick Warburton and Billy Connolly. Open Season is far from being the worst animated feature of all time, but with a better story and better characters, it would've been better.

2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great IMAX 3D
jaemiewaters9 February 2012
it is a great IMAX 3D movie if you like good movies than this is the movie for you than it has everything a good movie needs it is a outstanding IMAX 3D movie it is one of the best IMAX 3D movie you will enjoy this amazing movie it is a big movie it is the best 2006 movie in IMAX 3D movie it is just a great movie you will like this amazing,sweet,laugh out loud movie t is a great IMAX 3D movie it is the perfect IMAX 3D movie it is one of the coolest movies ever made best IMAX 3D movie ever made you will laugh out loud on this amazing IMAX 3D movie it is the best IMAX 3D movie you will die after you see this great movie this is a movie that i could watch more than once in IMAX 3D it is a great family movie it is a hoot it is the bomb it is just one of the best movie ever made in IMAX 3D history you will say now that was a great movie it is a classic of a movie in IMAX 3D if you like IMAX 3D movies than this is the perfect IMAX 3D movie for you than have a great day everyone
What's a Shaw?
ravsten42829 October 2011
Open Season is not one of the best animated films ever but it still stands out as a film that doesn't take itself too seriously and the people who were in charge knew what they were doing. The story boards all seem to fit together wonderfully like a puzzle should. Open Season is a film that goes astray and dares to be different from the rest.

Boog is a cuddly Grizzly Bear raised by his owner Beth who rescued him as a cub. While Beth and Boog go into town one day they run into a nasty hunter named Shaw. Shaw has a deer on his truck that he claims to have shot but he instead ran poor Elliot over. Elliot is set free by Boog and Shaw is angered. Later on Elliot finds Boog and tells him to bust out of his home and come with him but Boog is happy in his home. Elliot lures him outside with Woo-Hoo chocolate bars and takes him out for a night on the town. Boog is unfortunately caught causing havoc at a local gas station and is brought back home. While Beth is performing her and Boog's next show Elliot shows up saying he is being threatened by Shaw and Boog is not happy with what has happened the night before and tries to get rid of Elliot. Shaw unfortunately almost ruins the show and Beth is forced to tranquilize Boog before he gets hurt. Beth is then told that she should let Boog be in the wild. She does not want to let him go but she does so unwillingly. Boog is out in the woods by himself; or is he?

Open Season doesn't try to amaze with flashy animation but the story is good enough to keep it interesting.

Perhaps the worst thing going for Open Season is that it seems to portray hunters as bad and that they don't follow the regulations. I am personally not a fan of hunting but not everyone who hunts is a poacher. There are some decent hunters out there who follow the rules.

Open Season is enjoyable for everyone. Pace is great and doesn't slow down.
A watchable Sony Pictures Animation feature, but also somewhat of a bland one
Electrified_Voltage26 November 2010
Sony Pictures Animation, a CGI film production company, has now produced several movies, but I never saw any of them until earlier this month, when I finally watched 2007's "Surf's Up". I thought that was a very good animated family feature, and decided that afterwards, I would watch "Open Season", another Sony Pictures Animation production which was released the year before, and has animals as the main characters, not unlike the penguin surfing movie that followed. I knew this one was less popular than its successor, so I didn't think it would be as good, but didn't think it would be too bad, either. With these expectations, I wasn't in for any big surprises, pleasant or unpleasant, as I found this 2006 release to be a mixed blessing.

Boog is a grizzly bear who lives happily as a domesticated animal in the town of Timberline, living in the garage of a park ranger named Beth, who takes care of him. He also gets to entertain people at a nature show. However, hunting season is about to begin, and a fanatical hunter named Shaw is up to no good! He has a mule deer named Elliot tied to his truck and missing an antler, and this deer begs Boog to help him escape. Boog does so, but after this, Elliot won't leave him alone! After the deer disrupts one of the domesticated bear's performances and sends him into a frenzy, the two animals are both shot with a tranquilizer gun by Beth, and then taken to a place in the wild where they will be safe from hunters during open season. When Boog wakes up, he finds that the life he knows is missing, and starts to try and make his way back to Timberline with Elliot. The tame bear lacks outdoor skills, which will unfortunately be a problem on this trek, as the two of them meet various animals of the forest!

When I watched "Surf's Up", I occasionally found that the backgrounds looked primitive for a modern-day CGI film, but in "Open Season", this is a far more consistent issue. The characters are animated perfectly, but the backgrounds don't tend to go so well with them. Like "Shrek" and "Ice Age", this film involves a big creature who saves a smaller creature from harm, but then the smaller creature keeps following the big one around and annoying him. Unfortunately, this certainly isn't as funny here as it is in the other two films. The humour in this 2006 anthropomorphic animal movie can be fairly funny, including even most of the occasional toilet humour I guess, but nothing gave me very hard laughs. Shaw, voiced by Gary Sinise, is a rather bland and stale antagonist, even though they got a good actor to provide his voice. Fortunately, in addition to at least mildly amusing humour in places, this film also has some excitement to prevent it from being consistently boring. However, the major flaws still show.

After watching "Surf's Up" this month, I soon watched "Happy Feet", another computer-animated penguin film which came out the year before the Sony Pictures Animation one. Both of those appear to be more popular than this computer-animated forest wildlife film, released the same year as the first of the two penguin films, and produced by the same company that gave us the second. However, even though "Open Season" is from the same company as "Surf's Up", I think it's about the same in quality as "Happy Feet", even if many would say that the 2006 Kingdom Feature Productions production is much better than this Sony Pictures Animation effort from the same year. For CGI fans, I don't think "Open Season" is that bad a film to check out, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to be the most entertaining, original, or visually impressive film of its kind, or else I think you will likely end up severely disappointed.
Fun movie
TheLittleSongbird23 November 2010
I will admit Open Season isn't outstanding, but it was likable and fun. It is too short however, there are some predictable parts in the story and it occasionally feels too rushed. That said, it looks wonderful, with some lovely backgrounds and colours and the character designs are agreeable. The soundtrack is cool, the script has its funny moments with some of the more adult humour decently done and enough wit to satisfy anybody and the characters are likable especially Grizzly. Also the voice acting is surprisingly good, I was surprised at some of the choices(ie. Billy Connolly) of those to do the voices but all breathed life more than adequately to these fun characters. Overall I liked it, it was flawed yes but it was fun, that's all that matters at the end of the day. 7/10 Bethany Cox
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Open Season
Jackson Booth-Millard16 November 2010
I saw pictures and clips of this computer animated cartoon movie and thought it was going to be an easy to like, so when I got the opportunity I had a look. Basically 900 pound brown grizzly bear Boog (Martin Lawrence) has been domesticated by his carer, park ranger Beth (Debra Messing), and become a star attraction on stage. One day he saves the life of one-antlered mule deer Elliot (Ashton Kutcher) from the truck bonnet of hunting fanatic Shaw (Gary Sinise), and he is annoyed by his new "friend". It is after a trip to a supermarket and a misunderstanding during a stage show that Beth is convinced Boog has become like a wild bear again, and sees no choice but to release him into the wild, on the verge of Open Season. With his perfect world taken away from him, Boog is now determined to get back to Beth, and it seems Elliot might be the only one who can help him do that. Along the way it is obvious that Boog has no idea to be a wild bear, with problems like eating and pooing in the woods, but at least he and Elliot are developing a strong bond. Shaw meanwhile is of course getting ready to go hunting for the two animals, with a variety of weapons, and is convinced that animals are getting too close to humans. Eventually after some of the forest animals dismissing them and not being able to help them, Elliot is captured and when it looks like Boog has a way to go home, he can't help but feel the need to help his friend. In the end, all the forest animals fight off the hunters and defeat Shaw, and Boog decides with Beth's agreement that he belongs in the woods, with his friend Elliot. Also starring Billy Connolly as squirrel McSquizzy, Jon Favreau as beaver Reilly, Family Guy's Patrick Warburton as mule deer Ian and 30 Rock's Jane Krakowski as mule deer Giselle. The animation isn't quite up to the scratch of Pixar, but the good casting, the shadow part and wild animal jokes and other laughs besides are fun, it is a alright animated comedy adventure. Worth watching!
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just a fun flick
Meaghan Edwards28 May 2010
I got a lot of enjoyment out of watching Open Season, getting a lot of much-needed laughs. Likewise, with people all too often thinking of themselves being the most superior beings on earth, it was refreshing to see animals get the upper hand for once!

There are stereotypes in this movie, from redneck hunters and Scottish accented battle-happy squirrels. While others may complain about them, I thought they made the movie all the more funnier.

I would recommend this movie to just about anyone who is in need of a laugh and can appreciate visual eye candy as well. I thought The animation is cute, and the backgrounds and water were well done.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For the whole family, if the family has low standards.
badoli22 March 2010
The idea for the film must have sprung to the mind of the writers while watching a certain toilet advert. A bear on the toilet? That is hilarious, isn't it...? Well, no, it isn't.

What you get here is a bland 3D flick. The characters, the story, the animations, the jokes.... Pretty much everything is awfully stereotypical of the genre. You can point on the various sources the writers lend their ideas from. The whole thing lacks heart and atmosphere. And the jokes don't even reach average sitcom level. Nothing in this whole thing elevates over the absolute bare minimum the genre asks for. It's not really bad, it's just bland and boring.

Rather watch any Pixar movie, even if you have seen it a dozen times. "Open Season" even then is less entertaining in comparison.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
nothing i can say bad about it
www-jats18 January 2010
Okay i liked it. It Guns and violins but the bit that let me Carita's in had no back story with let me down i have washed number 2 but it was crap this one was the best one if the made a 3 make share there are no dogs s wattled it down okay but the rest of it is okay. This movie was one of the funnest comdeys i have every seen and the rabbits were Fuji'd have to agree with the critics on this one. When you release so many CGI movies with talking animals, there is a point at which mediocrity becomes common place. Open Season is no exception.

It seems to me that a lot of these movies released this past year revolve around this basic formula. 1) A plot involving talking animals. 2) Hire celebrities to do the voice acting (need at least one comedian). 3) Have a main character and an annoying obnoxious sidekick. 4) Have some simple plot in which the main characters are on a journey and have to reach from point A to point B.

When watching Open Season, I couldn't help but notice the parallels to Shrek. Boog (the bear) = Shrek, and Elliot (the deer) = Donkey. Need voice actors? Easy, let's hire two comedians (Mike Myers & Eddie Murphy vs Martin Lawrence & Ashton Kutcher). Plot? Well, let's just make them stranded somewhere and they have to reach from point A to point B. In this case, from the forest to Boog's old home. Of course, I could make the same case with Finding Nemo (comedians Albert Brooks & Ellen DeGeneres, main character and sidekick, travel from point A to point B plot).

Now don't get me wrong, I love Shrek and Finding Nemo. The problem is that when you have two great movies like these released previously, you can't help but notice how much Open Season recycles from previous movies. Open Season lacks any emotional charm or comedic originality. Another problem I had is that a lot of the jokes are based on clichés and stereotypes (Scottish squirrels? Male deers = high school jocks? Ducks = French resistance? Female skunks = black women?).

If there's any redeeming value in this film, it would be the fact that I watched it in IMAX 3D. It looks amazing. Wearing the 3D glasses, I could see each individual patch of fur on Boog's back and the characters literally came out from the screen.

Is this movie good for the kids? Yes. It had some laughs in it and it does bring about a moral message about the preservation of wildlife. It's a good way to kill and hour and a half. But don't expect to see anything new or original in this film.nay
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A classic example of a bad movie
alexoren8 January 2010
This movie is bad, not "cult" bad, not "so bad it's good", not even "funny" bad, just plain old boring bad. It is so stupid and tiresome that the commercial breaks (we saw it on cable) were a relief.

The main premise -- a domesticated animal trying to adjust to the wild -- is unoriginal but holds the potential of decent sitcom style laughs. Unfortunately the promise is unfulfilled, as you see most of the jokes coming from a mile off and the humour is aimed at the lowest common denominator. Some are repeated so many times that you cannot help but groan.

Most of the characters are one-dimensional (the rest are more accurately described as zero-dimensional), they are nothing more than walking stereotypes, afflicted by both idiocy (no thinking skills whatsoever) and schizophrenia (behaviour and motivations change wildly from one moment to the next).

To summarize: there is no plot to speak of, there is no acting to speak of, no suspense, no believability, no feelings for the protagonists or the antagonists (except annoyance), nothing notable or memorable.

Not for lack of ambition, mind you. Open season takes every cliché, every situation, every lame joke that ever (dis)graced the screen, tries to cram all of them into 83 minutes and doesn't even attempt to tie them together into a coherent whole.

Out of the 6 people that watched it, 5 (me, wife, father-in-law, 12yo girl, 8yo boy) found it stupid and boring while 1 (5yo boy) liked it.

So if you are in the 4-5 years-old demographic, you'll probably like it. Otherwise, there are better ways to kill your time.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bear Hunt
Rindiana24 December 2009
Predictable kiddie fare with okay animation and some good throwaway moments here and there.

Nothing we haven't seen before, but mildly entertaining and not without its charms. But the overall air of second hand fodder remains intact all through its running time. There's no real heart to all the cartoonish goings-on.

The character work is lackadaisical and the bland songs should've been omitted.

Some of the sidekick critters are funny, though.

5 out of 10 paranoid hunters
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All looks, no personality
Mr. Neutron27 September 2009
That sums up Open Season perfectly. The film was designed to be shown in 3D, and they make sure you know it by making crap fly out at the screen every few seconds. This has been a bad habit of 3d movies from the beginning, and one that doesn't show signs of stopping if the upcoming "A Christmas Carrol" is any indication. But it's not all bad. The story behind Pixar's Up was so absorbing that you actually forgot it was in 3d. Coraline was even more effective with 3d, completely absorbing you into its surreal, stylized world. But I'm getting waaaay off-topic. Open Season's 3d effects are in-your-face and obnoxious. There, done. Moving on...

The film's visual style is minimal. Many of the animals seem like they were designed by Pablo Picasso, as they come in all sorts of bizarre, deformed varieties. Many of the animals introduced for no reason other than to summon a cheap laugh. Boog - one of the main characters - is annoying, whiny, arrogant and unconvincing. In other words, he's easy to hate. Elliot on the other hand... I expected this Ashton Kutcher-fronted character to be terrible, but he's actually a redeeming factor of the movie. He's very funny and has all of the best lines. The two tourists and their dog are funny as well. The villain is, well... pretty light. Don't expect anything more than a gun-totin' redneck. But at the very least he does create actual tension in one scene where Boog is hiding from him. It's when this film tries to become serious and deliver life lessons that it falls flat.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Leave Open Season closed
Samiam324 July 2009
How could Roger Allers, (oscar nominated director of the Lion King) make a movie like this. Open Season is just a rehashing of Bambi, The Jungle Book, Ice Age, Madagascar and several others. Not a molecule of originality exists here, and it addition to being plot less and pointless, it's not even funny. I found myself chuckling a bit, but seriously this is a waste of time money and talent. Talking animals has become such an overused archetype that it's pretty gimmicky today. Open Season takes that to extremities, the only thing that could be worse is probably Open Season II. To all parents out there, do not choose this as a family watch, your children will hate you for it.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The known characters
hendjons13 March 2009
In modern television we seem to be seeing the same characters over and over again, for comedy. That's all right with me because these characters are the only one that actually sell. Now for movies it is different. In movies the character can be as weird and unreal as the writers want him to be because that kind of character might actually be real for the script. Now, when I first saw Open Season I actually found it funny, and interesting. It was recently shown on TV, and when I saw it I felt like watching Madagascar. For those who have not seen Madagascar it is about a zebra in a zoo who dreams about living in the wild, while his best friend the lion enjoys being "spoiled" by the workers of the zoo. Open Season had a different setting, but the exact same ideas. Boog was being kept as a pet, and was being again "spoiled" by his owner and loved it. Along came Elliot, and gets him into trouble which makes him end up in the wild forest. Just about the same idea as Madagascar. Then they end up in some kind of war against the hunter or so, which is just the same idea as Over the Hedge, as well as ant bully. If the writers of Dreamworks are lacking ideas maybe they should slow down on their animations about animals.

I still want to congratulate the writers on funny jokes, and say that without Ashton and Martin this movie would have been much worse than it actually is.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this