IMDb > Open Season (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

The Bear Necessity.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
30 November 2015

Open Season (2006): Dir: Roger Allers, Jill Culton / Voices: Martin Lawrence, Ashton Kutcher, Gary Sinise, Debra Messing, Billy Connolly: Although often funny, here is an example of a film that forgets its target audience. It is the dawn of new things as Boog, a bear that performs, frees mule deer Elliott from the clutches of hunter Shaw. Simple setup leads to both animals released into the wild and dealing with hunting season, which leads to a corny retaliation. Structure works because animal personalities shine. Director Roger Allers is joined by Jill Culton and both are backed by detailed animation. Boog is voiced by Martin Lawrence as a grizzly bear with a life of his own. He lived a life of luxury in Ranger Beth's garage but once free in the wild, he is unable to fend for himself. He is voiced by Martin Lawrence, with Ashton Kutcher stealing much of the film as Elliott, the one-horned mule deer. Gary Sinise voices hunter Shaw in what amounts to a cardboard character cliché that never seems to elevate. Debra Messing as Beth is another case of lazy character placement. As an owner of Boog she had potential, but she gets reduced to an after thought. Billy Connolly voices a gray squirrel and that is amongst the several animals that appear and are better seen on Animal Planet. Theme regards friendship although certain species by nature do not collaborate regardless what season is open. Score: 6 / 10

Nice try but no

Author: Terryfan from United States
14 November 2015

When you think about Open Season you either love it or hate it there is no in between on it.

I first watch the movie when it came to TV and looking back on it I have to say the film just has a mix of awe and disgust

While it does offer some watchable moments most of the film just feels like it's not right to be a family movie let alone one for adults to watch.

The first complain I have is the animation I mean what have I been looking at? because it sure wasn't animation because most of the character models look unrealistic and down right ugly I mean I have seen much better animation

The voice acting is pretty good which is one of the few things I say was good about this film

Humor in this film often feels funny some had the gross comedy which really ruin the movie for me there are some funny bits but the gross comedy just destroy the film

While it feature a creative story it just don't feel like a winner

I give Open Season an 5 out of 10

Not For Children

Author: api_lo79 from United States
21 January 2015

This movie is really not for children, unless you want your 5 year old to ask you what a certain profane word means. I had to keep playing it over to make sure I wasn't hearing it wrong. I surely wouldn't let a child watch this. I know some of the new cartoon movies get a little raw but this is ridiculous. It is rated PG, but so is "Shrek"and I don't recall anything that offensive. I gave it 2 stars because I don't care for movies that take the cartoon medium which was originally intended for children and inject profanity and things that parents would like to keep their children from seeing and hearing. At least I'm hoping that most parents would like to do this. It's a shame because without the profanity, I would have given it a much better score.

Quite a good entertainment, but not more than that

Author: Johan Dondokambey from Indonesia
30 June 2014

The story is nice, looking at hunting activity from the perspective of the ones being hunted. It is also being developed well with having additional complications. But the whole thing doesn't seem to hold together. The funny stuff doesn't really get funny. Martin Lawrence and Ashton's Kutcher's effort for crazy voices did just a little to help the movie to be funny. One strange thing I notice is that only Elliot, the one-antler goofed up mule deer that is the animal which stands on his rear feet beside Boog the Grizzly bear. It's quite normal to see bears and smaller critters like rabbits, squirrels and skunks portrayed standing on their rear feet because bear do that in reality. But concerning Elliot, he is the only other big animal who does that, while the other mule deer, including his love interest Giselle, stands on all four legs.

Certainly not Pixar

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 November 2013

Wild deer Elliot (Ashton Kutcher) leads domesticated Grizzly bear Boog (Martin Lawrence) to the outside in search of candy. They ransack a convenient store and then the next day, they disrupt a park show. Boog's trainer park ranger Beth (Debra Messing) has no choice but to release Boog into the wilds right before Open Season. The two has to lead the other animals in the forest to fight against the hunters.

Sony Animation is still unable to catch up to Pixar in terms of technical quality or story writing. It's a good enough movie but in no way in the same league as Cars which opened at around the same time. The characters lack the cool or interesting look. The story is functional but isn't inventive enough. Animals and hunters in the wild seems like scratching the surface of the imagination process.

Maybe it's a moonburn. Check it out

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
18 July 2013

'Open Season' is an adequate family entertainer. The colourful and lively visuals make it pleasing to the eyes. The characters are likable too. However, the film has nothing new to offer. It certainly doesn't stand out among other recent animated features. The story itself has been told and repeated numerous times. It's your typical 'coming of age' back to the wild plot. The comedy at times feels overdone and some of the characters are clichéd. The voice acting, especially by the supporting voices, is very good. Billy Connelly's voicing of the squirrel was terrific. In the end, while 'Open Season' is no classic, it's not a bad film and it has more than its moments and is cute enough to be a decent popcorn entertainer.

Most spoiled bear you will ever know !

Author: adi_2002 from Sfantu Gheorghe, Covasna, Romania
22 April 2013

Two comedians give life in this animated film to a bear named Boog and Elliot a very naughty deer. Beth is Boog's mistress she takes care of him, gives food a shelter in a garage where it is treated exactly as a pet and he in turn provides some entertainment for the locals. Everything changes when he meets Elliot. He is intentionally hit by a car and placed on the hood by a hunter. Boog helps him escape but Elliot can not forget and goes at Boog's home to thank him and plans to stick with him. He can not accept that and get's rids of him. Then he make his appearance at one of his shows and behind the scenes gives the audience a frightening scene but of course is not what it seems but even so people get scared and run. Then Beth decides it's time for him to go in the wild but as he is accustomed to city life can not live in the forest and how it is with Elliot make a pact with him, that shows the way to the city on condition they become partners. It turns out that Elliot was lying and does not know the way, it goes on random through the woods where Boog meets the other animals who make fun of him but when they hear that there are a few days and start hunting season everyone allies to ban the hunting. Beth find out what is happening and decide it's time to bring Boog home but he realizes that he can not leave his friends and decides to stay with them in the woods. A funny movie overall. I liked it when the two stormed into the candy store and ate everything they found but hilarious is Elliot who is more agile than the big bear Boog and offers several humorous scenes. And Ashton's voice fits perfectly.

Cute, Funny, Great Message

Author: rannynm from United States
14 December 2012

This film is very cute, it makes me laugh, and has a great message. Boog (Martin Lawrence), a grizzly bear, is unwillingly taken out of the comfort and warmth of his garage. He is far away from his owner Beth (Debra Messing) and is stuck in the forest with a very annoying mule, Elliot (Ashton Kutcher.) Boog is trying to find a way to get back to his garage and owner, but hunting season is just starting. Will he be able to make it back to the safety and comfort of his home in one piece? Well, you must tune in to see.

I like this film because of the comedy, the background music and the plot is very easy to understand. I think the talent does a really great job with the voice-overs and fit the part well. I love animated films and think the animation in Open Season is really good.

My favorite part is when Boog is trying to catch some fish because he is hungry. So when he goes to the river to do his fishing, the fish slap him right in the face. Boog is left standing there extremely humiliated. My favorite character is Elliot, because he has a free spirit, funny and he keeps me laughing.

Here are few of the people that make this film possible and do a good job. The directors are Roger Allers, Jill Culton and Anthony Stacchi (co-director). Some additional voice-overs in this animated film are, Gary Sinise (Shaw), Billy Connolly (McSquizzy), and Georgia Engel (Bobbie).

A message I found in this film is that you can't always depend on someone else to take care of you. One day they might not be there to protect you, so you have to look out for yourself. Boog is used to Beth taking care of him, but once he enters the forest he has no idea what to do.

I recommend Open Season for ages 6 to 13; they will definitely get it a kick out of it. It's good film for the family to sit down and enjoy it too. I give this film 4 out of 5 stars. It has a good message, the animation is great and it is an enjoyable film. Make sure you get a glimpse of the forest in Open Season.

Brianna Hope Beaton, age 13, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic.

They should have stopped here

Author: Robert from United States
18 April 2012

My first review on this site as a registered user was Open season 2. I had, of course, previously seen Open Season 1 and then just a few weeks ago saw Open Season 3. Seeing all of them now (and the 1st for the second time) I can now exclaim that they should have stopped at this movie.

I was okay with it for the most part. The things that bugged me most was just the bear giving in and becoming friends with the annoying animal that almost ruined his life multiple times. I do understand the message, however I found it kind of odd and didn't make the movie as good as it could have been.

Anyway, it's still better than the second movie and definitely better than the third movie. Thus, I rate it 7/10.

Blurry not Furry, not Funny: Don't bring small children

Author: arieliondotcom from United States
19 April 2008

This movie couldn't decide what it wanted to be, a "feel good" Disney-type movie, an NRA bashing social commentary, an adult-oriented humor piece, a cartoon, a photo-realistic animation...and so if fails on all levels.

It's supposedly pro-animal rights. But the animals themselves are bashing each other. It's supposed to be anti-violence (anti gun-toters) but shows animals blowing up trucks into fireballs and glorying in it, as well as enjoying inflicting pain on a human who is literally already down.

Too violent for small children and the animation is off-putting because, as I mentioned, while one of the characters (the Eskimo policeman) and the scenery are realistic (sometimes breathtakingly so), the other characters are cartoony, so the violence doesn't have the innocent "cartoon violence" quality of old-time Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd flicks.

Hunt elsewhere for quality entertainment, especially for children.

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]