IMDb > Herbie Fully Loaded (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Herbie Fully Loaded

Herbie Fully Loaded More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Captured the Spirit of the Original Movies -- Loved It!

Author: Peter Alvin from Charlotte, NC
26 June 2005

First of all, let me say that I'm a 41 year old man who saw all of the original Love Bug movies with my mom growing up in Chicago.

This movie is an instant classic! It captured the fun spirit of the original moves--I felt like very little time had passed and the same magic was present in this movie. It's was fun, zany, cute, and endearing.

My nine year old daughter and I laughed and cheered through the whole thing. It's a solid 'A' rating and 5/5 stars in both of our eyes. We couldn't stop talking about how good it was after leaving the theater.

The acting wouldn't win an Oscar but was more than adequate for a kids' movie.

The story was well written. It did a great job bridging the past to the current time-frame. It was also pretty original and employed modern racing car themes like monster trucks and NASCAR.

I don't understand why the general public and professional critics are rating it so low. It's a kids' movie and likewise one has to have the correct mind-set when viewing it. I was swept away from the beginning and it kept me engaged. So many other movies these days have various flaws that keep coming to mind when you watch them; this movie was just fine.

Go see this movie with your kids. It's refreshingly clean and a blast!

Fun if you don't take it too seriously.

Author: hoosierrevue from United States
24 June 2005

Repeat the following prior to viewing this movie: "I will suspend my disbelief and dutifully accept all plot devices in order to maintain the sanity that would otherwise escape me were I to process events in the movie from a logical perspective." Because yes, Herbie, an old VW Bug, will compete in a NASCAR race and drive sideways on the fence--as seen in the previews.

Having said that, this movie is quite enjoyable when watched from such a standpoint. It's fun and innocent, but it carries the typical Disney fantastical vibe as well. I sometimes get annoyed with the cheesy ridiculousness of those types of movies, but then again, when I was a kid I thought they were wonderful. So, take that as you will.

Maggie Peyton (Lindsay Lohan) has just graduated from college and is about to happily embark on her new life as an ESPN writer. Her father (Michael Keaton aka The Dark Knight) and late grandfather own Peyton Racing, a NASCAR team in which her brother, Ray Jr.,competes. Unfortunately for the family, Ray Jr. (Breckin Meyer) lacks the racing talent that his father, grandfather and sister possess, and the team is now struggling to keep sponsors from backing out after numerous crashes and defeats on the track. Maggie dreams of racing for the team, but her father desperately wants her to use her college degree and leave the horrible world of racing behind. We're never really told why her father considers professional racing to be so lowly a profession, given that it produces dozens of respectable sports stars and, oh yeah, lots and lots of money; but, again let's stick to the original "suspension of disbelief" mantra, and we'll have no trouble with his opinion of the sport. Maggie comes across Herbie and quickly learns that the car has a mind of its own and can magically propel her and her family into fame and fortune on the racetrack.

The movie is complete with a standard garden-variety villain, Trip Murphy (Matt Dillon), a four-time NASCAR champion, who, despite being competent enough to win the Nextel Cup series four times, cannot keep his mind off an impromptu street race that he lost to Herbie. He acts like a jerk, flings insults at Maggie, and generally struts around like he's better than everyone, thus enabling the audience to despise him. Plus, he was like, totally mean to Herbie and called him a piece of junk! You just don't talk about Herbie like that, and I so kept hoping he'd get his comeuppance in the end.

I did like the movie, however, because from a certain standpoint it is enjoyable to watch. Herbie himself has several humorous moments, and I couldn't help but like him. Given that this wasn't a documentary it's forgivable in its transgressions on reality, which in the end make the movie more entertaining. It's lighthearted and doesn't attempt to beat the audience down with a message (ahem, Sharkboy & LavaGirl). I highly recommend Herbie: Fully Loaded for kids and for those who like cute and wholesome movies—if you're simply looking for a good pick-me up and a fun movie, then this is definitely one that you shouldn't miss.

Just...don't get caught up in the details.

Cheesy and Corny yet Fun and Enjoyable

Author: MovieManMenzel from United States
21 June 2005

I have been hearing things about "Herbie: Fully Loaded" for at least the past 6 months. I saw the trailer and was not impressed at all; saw the dull poster which also didn't do anything for me. I also have to admit, I was very leery to see this film especially after such a lame trailer, dull poster and hearing about Lindsay Lohan's recent behavior and seeing how she looks like a poor, sickly child from Nigeria. But anyway, I went to see the movie anyway at a sneak preview nonetheless and despite all Lohan's bad publicity lately and the film's lousy marketing campaign, I was actually pretty impressed with the final product of "Herbie: Fully Loaded."

"Herbie: Fully Loaded" takes off right where the other movies left off. Herbie is now washed up and in the junk yard just about to be made into strap metal but just then Maggie (A healthy and attractive looking Linday Lohan) comes to the junk yard to get a car. Why a junk yard you may ask? Because her dad (Michael Keaton) is a NASCAR Coach and so he knows how to repair cars. So Maggie decides to buy Herbie and before you can say Love Bug, Maggie notices that Herbie has a mind of his own, not to mention has the power to be a race car. And so the cheesy but fun Herbie adventure begins.

I actually enjoyed this film which came as a huge shock to me. Like I said earlier this movie had some of the worst marketing and advertising that I have ever seen for a film. However, I am very grateful that the film didn't actually suck like the marketing on this film did. So anyway, having seen the earlier Herbie films I was actually very impressed with this one.

It was also good to see a healthy and attractive Lindsay Lohan again on screen. I have been seeing nothing but this anorectic, skinny, ugly girl on the cover of various magazines for the past month or so. I am really sad that Hollywood has gotten to her head because the girl has talent; she's just falling into the fame and fortune trap of Hollywood. But I don't want to get into my feelings on Lohan right now but just comment on how much I enjoyed her performance in the movie, and how it is probably my favorite role for her since Freaky Friday. Michael Keaton was also very good in his role as the father figure. He also plays one heck of a believable NASCAR Coach. Also I would like to mention Justin Long (Kevin in the film) who is one of Hollywood's new up and coming actors. I really dig this guy in his previous films like "Dodgeball", "Galaxy Quest" & "Jeepers Creepers", along with his role in this film. The guy plays very likable characters and I really liked him as the long lost friend in Herbie. Also Matt Dillon stars as NASCAR Driver Trip Murphy who plays the bad guy with no problem at all which isn't hard since Matt Dillon usually always plays the jerk or unlikable character.

The film's most enjoyable character is of course Herbie who as long as you can remember is a classic character can still be enjoyed. I liked how they updated Herbie a bit but didn't over do it. It was enjoyable to see the connection between Herbie and Maggie. Herbie of course is extremely far fetched like the whole racing in the NASCAR tournament but you cheer for him because he is the underdog. It's nice to see a simple family movie like this being released into theaters at a time where computer animation films like "Shrek", "The Incredibles", and "Madagascar" are kings. I know this movie doesn't compare to the first two films mentioned but I feel it's just as good as "Madagascar" or a lot of other family films released in the last few years. Like I said, it's a simple yet enjoyable film. It has nothing that would offend any children and is enjoyable for Herbie fans and as well as adults.

The film's most memorable scene for me was the scene where Herbie just got bought and comes out of the junk yard and Maggie is trying to drive him to the repair shop to meet up with Kevin (Justin Long) but she finds out that Herbie has a mind of his own and Herbie drives her. It becomes very enjoyable from this point to see how Herbie and Maggie share their emotions going through anger, sadness, and the feeling of being unwanted.

So in the end, "Herbie: Fully Loaded" is much better then the bad trailers lead it to be. It has a lot of heart, a decent story, and is as enjoyable as the previous Herbie Films. Herbie gets a little upgrade and they throw in some corny love bug jokes but hey they are harmless and can be taken with a grain of salt. Overall, I was happy to see Lindsay Lohan looking healthy and enjoying herself on screen along with an old fashioned family film that we rarely see anymore. I think if you're a fan of Herbie you should see this, if you have kids take them and enjoy, and finally if you have nothing to better to do and want to see a harmless, fun film check out "Herbie: Fully Loaded" because although it's pretty cheesy its also a fun and enjoyable time.

MovieManMenzel's final rating for "Herbie: Fully Loaded" is a 7 out of 10.

Delightfully Cute

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 September 2008

When Maggie Peyton (Lindsay Lohan) graduates from college, her father Ray Peyton Sr. (Michael Keaton) gives an used car from a scrap metal yard as a gift, and she takes a 1963 Volkswagen beetle with the number 53. Maggie finds a letter in the glove compartment telling that the bug's name is Herbie and she visits her friend and mechanic Kevin (Justin Long) to check Herbie. They go to a car show where they are challenged by the arrogant champion racer Trip Murphy (Matt Dillon) for a race. Maggie and Herbie win Trip, and the revengeful pilot plots a scheme to take Herbie from Maggie.

"Herbie Fully Loaded" is delightfully cute and a magnificent family entertainment. The story is predictable, corny, but mainly adorable. The sweet Lindsay Lohan is perfect for this type of role, and Matt Dillon performs a great villain. Take the popcorn, join family and friends and have a good-time watching "Herbie Fully Loaded" on DVD. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Herbie, Meu Fusca Turbinado" ("Herbie, My Turbined Beetle")

Disney's return to successful formula; some laughs...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
11 November 2007

Lindsay Lohan plays a Los Angeles college grad from a NASCAR family whose graduation present from pop Michael Keaton is the same '63 Volkswagen Beetle from 1968's "The Love Bug" and its horde of cinematic follow-ups. 'Herbie', a car with a mind of its own, not only gets Lohan back on the racing track, but plays matchmaker for her and a cute auto-mechanic as well. Not especially imaginative, but a nice family film with some mild laughs (one which is sweetly in-tune with its '70s roots). The story denouement is utterly predictable, and the performances are all phoned-in (Lohan is so enervated, she barely reacts the first time she realizes her car is possessed). Still, the pace is fast, the music selections bright, and the special effects are good. ** from ****

Good family movie... but has some problems for film buffs

Author: Fear_Mage from United States
18 June 2005

The first thing I want to say about this movie is that after the opening credits it has about 5 to 10 minutes of THE WORST acting (save Halle Berry's friend in Catwoman). BUT if you wait this out, you'll at least be entertained by the movie.

Herbie: Fully Loaded is definitely a family movie. If you're not going with a family, or aren't a long-time Herbie fan, wait until it's on DVD. Herbie is chock full of family-friendly humor and a tried-and-true Disney style storyline.

What's the story in a nutshell you ask? Well, Lindsay Lohan just graduates from college (no that's not a typo, they actually expect us to believe Lindsay Lohan is about 22, not the 18-19 that she looks.) Her father, Michael Keaton, takes her to a salvage yard to find a car for her graduation present. She finds Herbie, Herbie finds her, bing-bang-boom, she street races a NASCAR pro, Matt Dillon. Yada-yada-yada, stuff happens, typical Disney finish.

Now I had two MAJOR issues with the movies. First of those being that whenever CGI is used it is Blatantly obvious. Sometimes non-CGI effects are obvious too! What do I mean? In one shot where Herbie is doing some tricky driving, an incredibly mannish stunt driver in a ugly wig can be seen doubling (although silhouetted) for Lohan in Herbie.

Two, there are plot holes galore. I can't think of any off hand, but I remember noticing things that happened that didn't make much sense.

Also, this movie has some of the BEST MUSIC (compilation wise) I have ever heard in a movie. I'm not good with names of bands and songs, so I'm not sure if the good songs are on the soundtrack, but if they are, the soundtrack is a definite buy for any classic rock fan. If you completely ignore this review and see the movie by yourself (or on a date) SPECIFICALLY listen for the music.

All in all, this movie is a good family movie. Don't expect it to win any awards. If you can deal with lackluster CGI, a dud of a beginning, and a standard Disney storyline, then you'll be pleasantly entertained.

Harmless, yet fairly humorless as well

Author: (themoviemark@themoviemark.com) from http://www.themoviemark.com
23 June 2005

I suppose I could just really rake this movie over the coals if I wanted to, but what's the point? It'd be like beating a physically handicapped kid in arm wrestling - it's way easy, but you walk away without really accomplishing anything, and you feel kind of bad afterwards.

Plus, I'm not exactly part of the main demographic for this movie, and if you aren't part of the demographic, then why would you even consider paying money to see it? What are you expecting? This is a movie about a lifelike car that spits exhaust in the faces of bad guys, leaks oil on their bad guy shoes, and opens its trunk, doors, or glove compartment whenever something needs to be revealed or somebody needs to be strategically hit in a slapstick manner. If those types of shenanigans send you rolling down the aisles in apoplectic fits of laughter then you're in luck. However, if you're like me and aren't quite so easily amused then you might want to veer your hard-earned dollars in another direction.

Even though I've never been a fan of the Herbie series, and this movie did nothing to make me a convert, there are some positives. The most important being that Lindsay Lohan is looking very good and is in fine pre-anorexia, pre-fake blonde form. She claims her current look (Ode De Skeletal Olsen Twin) is for a movie she's doing in which she plays a fashion designer, and she promises to put her weight back on. I hope so because she definitely looks better with a little meat on them bones! The second positive is that the entire cast is giving it their best. They're not given great material to work with, but at least they look like they're having a little fun. I'm quite sure Matt Dillon is well aware that this isn't exactly a step up from his previous movie, Crash, but he doesn't use that as an excuse to phone in his performance, so I have to give credit there.

I think they should've renamed the movie though. I would've suggested Herbie: Fully Loaded WITH MUSIC MONTAGES! Sheesh. I honestly don't think I've ever seen one movie with that many montages. At times I thought I was watching a series of Disney music videos. What in the world? Was this a prime example of avoiding dialogue? Oh well. At times boring, and never threatening to entice riotous laughter, Herbie at least moves along at a decent pace and is never quite so stupid that it's intellectually insulting, so I won't be too harsh. I'm sure it's loads of fun for the really young (under 7). However, when I asked my 10-year-old brother what he thought of the movie he replied, "It was OK." When I asked if he thought it was funny he replied, "Kind of. I guess." Not exactly a ringing endorsement but not a total condemnation either.

Surprisingly agreeable

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
18 October 2009

When I was a kid (long ago), I saw all four "Herbie" movies, and I can remember being kind of underwhelmed by them even at that tender age. In fact, I thought the last two of the original four were really lame. So I made it a point to avoid "Herbie Fully Loaded" when it came out. But it came on television recently, and I decided to give it a chance since I'd be seeing it for free.

I was surprised. Now, I will admit that the movie has its share of flaws. It doesn't explain why Herbie, in the time between the previous movie and this movie went downhill as a racer, and why Herbie had been forgotten by the racing community (and its audience) - you would think a Beetle that kept winning races would be remembered by SOMEONE! I could go on with listing its flaws, but I found its charms outweighed its flaws. For starters, the protagonists are very likable, down to earth and not annoyingly goofy. And Dillon's character of the rival racer was not broad and instead more of a realistic villain.

The special effects are a mix of "old school" effects like the original movies used, mixed in with CGI. I actually found the combination worked, blending with each other well.

I'm not saying that this is a movie to actively seek out... but if you come across it while in a silly mood, I think there's a good chance you'd find it an agreeable way to pass the time.

A Decent But Uneven Movie

Author: tabuno from utah
25 June 2005

After the delightful homage or tribute to past Herbie movies through shots of the old Herbie during the opening credits, Fully Loaded Herbie tries unsuccessfully to recreate an updated version of the 60s Herbie slapstick that doesn't stick at all and backfires black smoke. The laughs at the beginning are dead on arrival until Lohan comes on the scene and the movie settles down with a contemporary version of Herbie. The collision of yesterday antics with today's comedy was a bust. Herbie Fully Loaded follows the traditional script with a more emotional one-two punch (like with duel engines) that Lohan was known for in Mean Girls. Matt Dillon's descent into insanity wasn't as fully developed as it could have been. The special effects are somewhat tame, the new Herbie's computer reality uneasy and the climactic special effect disappointing.

The storyline is decent enough, the plot OK, and the performances adequate but not outstanding. This is an average movie made a bit better by the intensity it brings on to the good girl turned bad girl transformation and of course the redemption. Not as cute and cuddly as the original, but consistent, sometimes funny, and meaningful. Six out of Ten Stars.

A good family film

Author: GusMan90
27 June 2005

In a day and age of films that are just not really family friendly, this one shines in that aspect. It is a good, clean family film. No bad language, no sex, no violence. (Hmm, maybe that is why some people didn't like it.) Do you have to be a real "Herbie" fan to enjoy it? I don't think so. You just have to use some imagination and get into the "spirit" of the film. I think that Lindsay Lohan does a good job at her role in the film, but some of the acting may seem a little cheesy at times. (Could be just the persona of the film.) There were several scenes that could have been taken right out of "The Love Bug" and the like, which some of the older Herbie fans will come to enjoy. So, all in all, I am giving this movie a 9 mainly because of the "family film" factor. If your kids are like "oh yeah right" when they see some obvious unreal effects, like a car "winking" or driving by itself, then it may not be for them. But if your kids just want to have some fun - go see it.

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]