IMDb > "Summerland" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Summerland"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Summerland" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

This show is the best show in the world!!!

Author: Jesse_lover08 from United States
7 August 2005

This show is the best show in the world!!!It's not just about Bradin(Jesse McCartney) dating girls and surfing.Its more about how 3 kids who's parents just died live with their aunt and her friends and all the problems kids today face in life.This what I think the show is about.Everyone has a comment on everything.This show might not be good to some people but its my favorite show in the world.The are a lot of people that like this show.So for those people who don't like it don't tell people that has not watch it yet that it's not good just because you didn't like it.My comment my not be useful to some people, but remember everyone has comments.

SummerLand IS California Beach Life !

Author: realkaligurl (realkaligurl@webtv.net) from California / United States
21 October 2005

I am a native of California and "SUMMERLAND" is exactly how surf life and beach life is in the local beach's like Long Beach, Newport Beach, Rincon, etc... Just like "THE OC" is exactly how the rich part of Orange County is... This show was god and should never have been canceled, it ended before it even was given a chance. When the DVD collection of the show comes out I am so there, though canceled it can still live on in our DVD players..... That is IF they ever get it out on DVD, everything else comes out so why not this? A lot of people would buy the set at any cost because thats how good of a show it is.....

And perhaps we can look forward to syndication of this program? Never know, someone might get smart and bring it back where it belongs!!

Another teen drama from the producers of 7th Heaven

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
11 June 2005

Summerland is another one of the best teen dramas on The WB! Ava Gregory (Lori Loughlin) is living the perfect life. She is single, has a nice beach front home along the Southern California coast, and works as a fashion designer But that all changes when her sister and brother in law die in an accident. Ava is left with the responsibility to raise her niece Nikki (Kay Panabaker), and two nephews, Bradin (Jesse McCartney) and Derrick (Nick Benson). Ava gets help from her close friends Johnny, whom she used to date. Johnny (Shawn Christian) takes on the father figure role, but is a man who is unsure of the direction in his own life. Jay (Ryan Kwanten) is single, and lives to surf. He guides Bradin into his exciting hobby. Susanna (Merrin Dungey) is Ava's business partner, and the two have complete trust in each other. Bradin is the oldest child at 16, and has his own angst to deal with. He has a crush on his surfing instructor, Erica Spalding (Taylor Cole). Nikki is 13. She is often very difficult about the fact that Ava is filling in for her mother. Derrick is 8. He has the most difficulty adjusting to the fact his parents are no longer alive, which results to many troubles. I like the acting, story plots and I think Taylor Cole is a hottie! Summerland premiered on The WB back in June 2004.

User Rating: 10/10

BOTTOM LINE: GREAT!

I love Summerland!

Author: maddygaynor from Australia
27 April 2005

Guys I love Summerland! It is the best TV show by far! I love it! Wait, have I already said that? Yeh... anyway Jesse McCartney is hot! I love him! Anyway back to the show. I don't think it is a sexually based as shows like The OC are. I mean, don't get me wrong I love the show to bits, but lets face it, the whole thing is based on sex. Not that thats necessarily bad but Summerland has other themes and issues incorporated into the show, which is what makes it great. The rivalry between boys, jealousy, love, sex, drugs, surfing (I love surfing!), relationships, dating, fighting and other such things are involved into the show whereas shows like One Tree Hill (which I also love) do not have these issues but have different issues which will all depend on the show itself. Summing up, if you don't watch this show, your almost as dumb as a post! (just joking!)

And the show was canceled... because?

Author: anna-508 from Sweden
22 February 2009

This show, I have to say, is so completely fantastic! It's new and fresh and I never wanted it to end... never. I didn't see it when it first air because it didn't air here, where I live but now, spending probably 3 day watching, I find myself completely captivated. There should be more shows like these, about family and all that comes with it. Everyone living under the same roof was a good idea and loads of embarrassing moments that comes with being a teenager. as for the actors; i never was one for full house but i have watched and I will say that i think this show was actually better. but that's my opinion, feel free to hate it if you want! and Lori Laughlin does an amazing job, doing this roles, it's like it was made for her and her only. And the ones playing the kids; Jesse, Kay and Nick are absolutely fantastic and they make their roles so believable. A lot of roles that gets played now a days, and i'm not just talking about TV-shows but movies too, are not believable, so thats a nice change. I just really wish that the show should have gone further than it did and it's so sad that it didn't. And last but not least; everything about this show is great, even the slightly cheesy lines that they worked in the script. But overall... wonderful!

Great plot and great actors.

Author: Ana Kephra from Brazil
4 June 2007

I am not sure why I gave this show a chance at first, but I watched it since its release in Brazil, running after school once a week to get home in time to see it. This is definitely one of the best shows I've ever seen. Stories of the kids who lose their parents are usually very dramatic, with eternal grief, which makes most of them depressing when they're very good. But this is so not the case of Summerland. The characters of Nikki, Bradin and Derrick actually handle it in such a realistic way, you forget you're watching TV, and actually feel close to them. This is amazing considering how young they are, to pull such complex characters, and that's just in the first episode.

During the first season you have this lovely miscellaneous of kids struggling to grow up and adults trying to figure out their lives. Like in real life, like me and my mother, like a family. They have a very sensitive point on father and mother figures, which can certainly mess the head of kids living with their aunt and her roommates (which is what they are, despite the friendship), and how this mess up the adults heads too. It's a lot about learning from your mistakes, and they make as many mistakes as anyone does.

The second season, sincerely, was very good, but it was really kinda disappoint somewhere through it. It has all the elements that made me watch it in first place, but there were some more, I didn't felt so much. Like Bradin's surf thing, in such a level, lost a lot of the real feeling of it, and he became a quite annoying character, not at all as I expected. Ava's travels and success in business also seemed sudden, even though this was an year later - somehow, I felt like this would take a much longer time to happen. Susannah's character as "the glue" (as Johnny says) had quite a turn too, when she passes from Ava's friend and everyone's adviser to Ava's sidekick, in the end of this season, which was kinda frustrating.

Maybe all that's just perfect, I don't know, but that's how I felt. For these which I consider to be slops, I'm somehow happy the series didn't go further, or it could be more disappointing.

But even though my opinion in the end seems sad, this is a show I love with all my heart, and I say everyone should watch it.

I really can relate to the show even if i haven't watched it for a while.

Author: saabistewart from Australia (Queensland)
25 January 2007

I have only started watching Summerland a couple of months ago but I think it's great although i won't be able to watch it for a while because of school i'll still be able to know where the story is when i'do watch it. I think that aunt AVA is doing a great job as an aunt because the children look up to her like she was their mum.when i first watched it i thought that she was their mum. And the beach scene fits in really well. nearly everyone surfs well the older ones. i really enjoy watching it and how how so many people live in the one house even though some of them aren't related. such as johnny treats the kids as his own thats rally nice. Yours truly Saabi Stewart.!!!

i think Summerland is absolutely, without a doubt BRILLIANT!

Author: Emma from United Kingdom
23 September 2006

i absolutely love Summerland. it has definitely got to be my favourite TV show. i think one of the reasons why i like it so much is because it's about real life situations, and things people really deal with, and there isn't that many shows out there that are-there either far fetched or just all about comedy. i think every actor/actress in the show are brilliant and the story line is just also brilliant. every episode, without a doubt has me wanting to watch the next one straight after! i honestly can't understand why it supposedly got such bad ratings?! its brilliant. its must see TV! there's been episodes where i've laughed, episodes were i have cried, but there's has never been episodes where i haven't thought it was good. its one of my favourite things on TV and if it was up 2 me i would have the producers demanding that it was on TV every night. I can't wait to see if there's any new series coming out-which I'm hoping there will be. looking forward to seeing some new episodes-with every one of them back on screen (especially Jesse McCartney and Zac Efron) to some it up: BRILLIANT!

Summerland

Author: bran422 from United States
2 June 2006

Summerland was great and i would to know how it felt to see your (parents) die right there in your yard? Do you think Sarah is a little mean now and then? I do she seems like a bad influence for Jesse to go out with. I love Summerland and i think the only reason i watch it is because of Jesse McCartney. I think hes the reason anyone watches.I didn't like the part where Jay was trying to help Jesse (Bradin) and he gets mad at him. And Nikki needs to loosen up a little bit on aunt Ava.I think Bradin is a pretty name where did they get it from? My brother is playing Kingdom Hearts 2 and he cant believe you are the voice of Roxas. So do you know all the other voices?

summerland ROCKS!

Author: Tiffany Carlile
27 November 2005

Jesse McCartney. WOW! so totally hot! he is though! I'm in the UK and the first season is on at the moment and I've just read that everyone was saying(when it came out in USA) that it was boring, stupid, and none of them could act! Obviously they haven't really watched it. they must of just watched 1 episode and thats it! Jesse McCartney is such a good actor and such a hot singer as well! Hes totally hot! Kay is a well good actor as well. she will go far and Derek(the little lad) hes good as well. hes not in it as much as Kay and Jesse but he still is a good actor. The rest well ain't gonna mention them one by one as they are all really cool and teenagers can relate to it sort of as it is about 3, well 2 teenagers and an almost teenager. There's laughs, cries and most of all the bit that i don't like the bits where Jesse kisses other girls! I've even said I'm going to invent a TV that you can go into and be in the show with the characters so i can punch the girls he kisses and kiss Jesse myself :) I'm such a nice girl aren't i! :)

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]