IMDb > "Proof" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Proof" More at IMDbPro »

Good escapist stuff

Author: rosen-17 from Australia
7 September 2007

Perhaps I'm the only person who actually loves this series (we're only just seeing it in Australia). It's shown in the Friday night crime spot, and manages to block the world out for the 90 minutes it runs. The plots are layered and complicated, if not occasionally improbable, and you have to pay attention or you can get lost. The cast of Finbar Lynch, Orla Brady, Stanley Townshend - and many more - are excellent, the scripts tight and sometimes funny, often shocking. Best of all, the filmmakers make a genuine attempt to create a gritty urban landscape of Dublin, where the series is set.

Stories centre around corruption in high places, and the attempts made by journalists Lynch and Brady to expose the bad guys. They're often unsuccessful, which is one of the reasons I enjoy this show. The bad guys frequently do win, and there's little the good guys can do about it.

One of the many reasons I'm enjoying 'Proof' is that the viewer is treated with respect and with none of the patronising explanations of the plot by characters which seems to be part and parcel of many mainstream US mystery/drama/cop shows.