IMDb > "Shadows" (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Shadows" More at IMDbPro »

Scary

Author: texaustin from United Kingdom
18 December 2006

I can vaguely remember the TV series 'Shadows' from the seventies, in particular the episode entitled 'The Other Window', which gave me nightmares for a week or two when I was an impressionable eight year old. I seem to think the window of the title was circular and when one looked through it, one saw strange and often scary things happening. I cannot remember the other episodes of this series, although if anyone can recall the plot lines of any of them it may well help to jog my memory. I think it aired on the BBC, but I don't ever remember it being repeated. I would love to know if this series is available either on video or DVD. Does anyone else remember this one?

Shadows

Author: gregjones1971 from Australia
3 June 2007

Yes, I remember this TV show. My brother and I used to watch it here in Australia when it was on during the 70s and wondered what became of it and would love to see it again after all these years. I remember 1 episode where someone was transported through time in this old house, and I think, but my memory is VERY HAZY where the characters in the old house were played by the same actors in the future. I also remember another episode which scared me when I was a child related to an ancient Celtic religion and people running about wearing animal masks or deer antlers or something to that effect. I hope that helps....love to hear any other memories of this show....

"Shadows" now on DVD

Author: erestor2001 from Australia
18 March 2011

Reading the other reviews, there seem to be a few others from Australia who remember watching "Shadows" in the 1970s. There also seems to be the same estimation of the series that it was very well executed horror that has left a lasting impression, despite difficulty in remembering some of the detail. I recall being equally terrified and enthralled as a child and its memory still haunts. This makes me wonder whether it was really suitable for children (4pm on a weekday) when even as adults recalling it is enough to leave one unsettled. I have the same reaction to "Children of the Stones". I don't know how the British were able to make such disturbingly brilliant series in the 1970s but they were masters of the horror genre. "Thriller" is another obvious example. Anyway, it is with this caveat that I mention for fans waiting for many years that the first season of "Shadows" became available at Amazon UK in late 2010. "Shadows" is a lesser known series, quite underrated. Until a few years ago it was difficult to find anything about it on the internet, including on IMDb. As far as I recall, there was no entry on IMDb until about 2004, such was the show's relative obscurity.

Another episode

Author: mdbrown-3 from Wellington, New Zealand
18 August 2009

Like some others here I have only vague memories of this series, but remember being freaked out by it at around the age of ten. There seem to have been quite a few series in the 1970s that tapped a vein of supernatural terror, often with Celtic overtones or suggestions of folkloric nastiness. Another I remember vividly was 'Children of the Stones'.

The episode of "Shadows" I recall featured some people who were trapped in the bottom story of a country house or possibly a windmill converted into a house. They were being threatened by the trees outside - branches were bursting through the windows and poking around to get at them.

Would be interesting to see again, but don't know if it'd stand up now - such shows seem more intense when you're younger and less cheesy.

Scared the pants off me

Author: norris01-1 from Australia
16 July 2008

There was another episode where two boys were kept in after school and they answered a questionnaire with exactly the same answers. And one about kids in a railway waiting station that went back in time.

My sister and I had to hide behind the couch often during the show as we were so scared.

Anyone know how to get a copy? My sister and I have been searching for this for years.

I think it's Thames Television that produced the 3 series but there are very few references on the web.

The one where the girl goes small - she is looking at a doll house in a museum and goes inside of that.

In the one with the Dad in motorcycle helmet there is a vase with an eye that turned around and I think this was what "possessed" him.

more on "Shadows"

Author: pacificwestair from Australia
13 March 2008

I vaguely remember the series too - I remember one episode about a woman staying at a hotel and met a ghost from the past, who hadn't heard of Heathrow Airport.

There was also an episode of a girl left home in the dark alone, and her Dad returns, acting strangely, and quite scarily in his motorbike helmet. The house looked quite eerie in just the flashing lights of a pedestrian crossing outside.

I have even hazier memories of another episode where a child shrinks to the size of his/her toy soldiers and dolls, and they come alive.

Not much help I know, but maybe it might trigger a few more memories for people? I remember the story of "the other window" as being the scariest episode for me.