IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 9: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Meh.... Not Great... Not Terrible: Really Didn't Need To be Done.

Author: cinebuff-3 from USA
9 April 2005

I just finished watching the second episode of "The Batman", which featured Bane. The best can be said of the new series is that the set direction has the proper feel for Gotham City.

The first fight between Bane and The Batman showed promise. Until Bane chemically buffed up and trounced The Batman. From there on, the show resembled "Megas XLR". Which precluded the introduction of the "Bat~Bot". From then on the show was in a Flat Spin.

It also took a few minutes to associate the voice of Johnny Rico from the CGI series "Roughnecks" as Bruce Wayne and The Batman. Especially when Kevin Conroy was perfect for both.

Not greatly impressed with this new offering. I'll stick with the superb Paul Dini/Warner Brothers "Batman: The Animated Series".

Not bad, IMO

Author: Feral2k from United States
12 January 2005

Well, many people have said that this show sucks. However, I think that it's a breath of fresh air. Rather than the whole "respected masked man of the community" take, the show takes a very real take on police response to vigilantes: that they might mean well, they are still held responsible for their actions. Alfred comes across as more human than in the other animated series. There's no Robin, Batgirl and Nightwing to stand around and take punches meant for the big guy himself so far, stealing screen time from Bats as well. Also, unlike what most people think, the character designs in this series rock. Joker, Catwoman, Freeze, Man-bat and Firefly all rock in their new incarnations, while Penguin seems to be about the same as before. I'll admit, Bane looks like crap in his muscled form, and the Cluemaster was a bit of a waste, but we can overlook this. One las thing to say. This is NOT B:TAS, and you simply cannot compare the two. Just give it a chance, guys.

A Piece of Carp -- Don't waste your time.

Author: Mannypl66 from United States
7 July 2007

When this cartoon first aired I was under the impression that it would be at least half way descent, boy was I wrong. I must admit watching this cartoon is almost as painful as watching Batman and Robin with George Clooney all those years ago. I watched a few episodes and two of them had Batman literally get his ass kicked left and right by the Penguin who fought like Jet Li and beat the crap out of Batman and I watched another episode where Batman got his butt kicked again by the Joker, who apparently was using Jackie Chan moves while flipping in the air like a ninja. Since when were the Joker or the Penguin ever a match for Batman ? and worse yet when were Joker and Penguin Kung Fu counterparts of Jackie Chan and Jet Li. It's truly embarrassing, depressing and sad the way the image of Batman is portrayed in this show. The animation is awful and the dialog is terrible. Being a Batman fan since my boyhood I can honestly and strongly advise you to stay away and avoid this show at all cost, because it doesn't project the true image of Batman. This cartoon is more like a wannabe Kung Fu Flick and if you really wanna see a classic Batman cartoon I strongly recommend Batman the Animated Series, but this cartoon is nothing more than a piece of S---T! Get Batman: The Animates Series and don't waste your time with this cartoon.

it doesn't all match up

Author: BlueSpider from Eaton County MI
25 September 2004

Contrary to the odd math of the other comments.... this is the character's fourth year, not his third. It starts celebrating the completion of his third year as Batman.

So it means we've had three years without recognizable super-villains or anything.

It gets worse in that aside from Alfred we have no supporting characters that weren't made up for the show and worse still when all the villains are diluted and kung-fu-ified versions of the actual characters.

The Joker, instead of the old foe intent on matching wits with the Batman, pitting deductive powers against insanity, now is just a jumping Creeper intent on releasing Joker gas for no revealed reason.

The Penguin "picked up something in the Orient" for no real reason but at least the birds and umbrellas gimmick is intact.

Bane was changed into a more overt Hulk-like character.

Bruce Wayne is now more hip than ever... which I could stomach but I really miss Gordon and Bullock and all the other characters I know.

The impossibility of Batman in the Japan animation way

Author: antoinecatry from France
29 January 2009

In light of the recent and quite good Batman the Brave and the Bold, now is the time to bear a fatal blow to that mistake in the life of Batman. Being a huge fan since the first revival by Tim Burton 20 years ago, I have been able to accept different tonalities in the character, dark or campy. This one is just not credible : too many effects, poor intrigues and so few questions. What is great about Batman is the diversity of his skills and aspects of his personality : detective, crime-fighter, playboy, philanthropist etc. The Batman shows him only in his karate days. And by the way, how come the Penguin is capable of such virtuosity when jumping in the air regardless of his corpulence ? And look at the Joker, a mixture of Blanka in Street Fighter 2 and a stereotypical reggae man, what Batman fan could accept such a treason ? Not me anyway. Batman is much better without "The" article in front of his name.

Not for Batman purists...

Author: g933299 from Malaysia
21 April 2006

It's the new millennium, and superheroes are getting more high tech makeovers. Not all like to see makeovers, though, and this is mainly one of the things many Batman purists rant about.

But, on its own, apart from the original Batman: TAS, The Batman's pretty good, and is one slick and fun filled joyride.

Produced by Glen Murakami (who also produced the recent TV hit series The Teen Titans), The Batman features everyone's favorite Dark Knight with spiffier looking gadgets and a Hot-Wheels-like Batmobile, complete with the same amazing fight sequences that made Teen Titans a rocking action packed series (seriously, the style + the rapid & smooth motions aren't that different).

Batman looks different, shorter ears, rounder head, a more triangular jaw, and his cape now reminds me of Spawn's tendrils. Not only that, the villains get a new look too. I was excited to see how Batman's baddies look like in the new age, but I was kinda disappointed by some. But that didn't subtract from the overall fun factor.

Makeovers. It's a love it or hate it kinda thing. Most Batman purists have already voiced their boos. But for the casual fan like me, I love it :D All in all, while not perfect, it deserves a watch. An 8 out of 10 in my book.

Worthless!

Author: LordJazor from United States
22 October 2006

I was raised watching the original Batman Animated Series, and am an avid Batman graphic novel collector. With a comic book hero as iconic as Batman, there are certain traits that cannot be changed. Creative liberties are all well and good, but when it completely changes the character, then it is too far. I purchased one of the seasons of "The Batman" in the hopes that an extra bonus feature could shed some light on the creators' reasoning for making this show such an atrocity. In an interview on the making of "The Batman," one of the artists or writers (I'm unsure which) said that "We felt we shouldn't mess with Batman, but we could mess with the villains." So, they proceeded to make the Joker into an immature little kid begging for attention, the Penguin into some anime knockoff, Mr. Freeze into a super-powered jewel thief, Poison Ivy into a teenage hippie, and countless other shameful acts which are making Bob Kane roll over in his grave.

To sum it all up: I wish I had more hands so I could give this show FOUR THUMBS DOWN. It squeezes by my rating with a 2 out of 10 simply because it uses the Batman name. Warner Bros...rethink this! Please!

Shameful

Author: Nikola Manev from Republic of Macedonia
28 July 2012

Anyone here is batman fan or just people who like cartoons? i mean 7 stars for this its a shame i give it 1 because its lowest. characters are way over line, joker looks like Blanka from street fighter and sounds like black man (i know voice is from black man but joker ain't black). freeze is common burglar instead of scientist who loves his wife, here there is no wife at all. and what it is with batman listening loud music when he is working in batcave not to mention his voice sounds like some young guy making his voice deeper, why they didn't take Kevin Conroy. thumbs down for this all the way from me. oh yes and i don't want to forget those corny jokes from Alfred. maybe if u didn't know anything about batman but just look this cartoon for fun maybe just maybe it will be OK. but most people know batman how and who it is, what makes him tick and this is all the opposite.

Can't hold a candle to Bruce Timm's Batman: The Animated Series

Author: toastboy54 from United States
25 July 2006

Season 1: 3 out of 10

In the 1990's, Batman: The Animated Series redefined American animation and children's programming with Emmy winning episodes that offered complex characters driven by deep emotions, outstanding action sequences, and top notch voice acting; all brought to life in the confines of a stylized, but strangely believable neo-noir Gotham City.

The Batman, however, seems to depend almost exclusively on bland, semi-sarcastic dialogue given to one dimensional characters who exist in an unpopulated void of nonstop violence and destruction. Batman's morose consideration of his dark past and guilty conscience gets a few beats here and there, but it's quickly replaced by the next action sequence, which seems to be this series' only reason for existing.

Am I being too hard on this show? Yes, of course I am. As a longtime fan of the 90's Batman: The Animated Series, I was hoping for much more after years without any new Batman cartoons (Yes, I know Batman appears occasionally on Justice League, but it's just not the same).

That being said, the show isn't all bad. To be fair, if I had never seen the 90's show, my review would probably be a bit more positive. I will admit that the action scenes in The Batman (though overblown and too prominent) are extremely well animated. And though I prefer the semi-retro, art deco look of The Animated Series, this show has a look that works. I also like the main theme by The Edge, though I never would have imagined liking a Batman theme done on electric guitar.

But I'm afraid my problems with the show vastly outweigh the positives. I had high hopes for The Batman, and was deeply disappointed that while the animation techniques and flashy computer effects have advanced considerably, the story and characters have taken a distant backseat to the action.

I realize that this show is a new take on the Batman mythos. But what truly bugs me is not that it doesn't follow The Animated Series, but that the overall story quality is so diluted. I can deal with revamped characters and the like, but I really wish they had spent more time making me care about the people, especially the villains, who should all have unique personalities and motives of their own.

For instance, Batman: The Animated Series went out of its way to rewrite Mr. Freeze's origin story, turning him from a gimmicky bad guy into a tragic figure, driven by the love of his wife, and the hatred for the man who ruined him and made him the way he is.

In The Batman, Mr. Freeze is a jewel thief until he has an accident involving cryogenics. Then he becomes a jewel thief...that freezes stuff. Come on, people. I don't mind that they changed his origins. What I mind is that they obviously gave no thought to the character at all. It's almost like they drew and animated these episodes before even writing a plot. Not that these formulaic plots would take much writing.

I know the show is aimed at younger viewers, but that's no reason to dumb it down. I was about 9 when The Animated Series began airing. My cousin was about 7. That didn't stop us from loving the show and watching it obsessively.

To clarify, I have only seen about seven or eight episodes from the first season of The Batman, and I hear that the following seasons show more promise in terms of character and narrative development. Having said that, I'm not sure I care enough to keep watching.

Season 2: 8 out of 10

I have just recently finished watching all of Season 2 of The Batman, and I must say it's CONSIDERABLY better than Season 1. While the first season relied on an extremely repetitive plot formula, an overabundance of stupid gadgets, and needlessly moronic reinventions of classic characters (Scarface is a giant friggin' robot?), this season shows much more promise in terms of both character and emotion.

Though it still lacks some of the gravitas and bitter irony that make the 90's Batman: The Animated Series a perfect 10, the characters are finally starting to develop, and the episode plots have all but thrown out the tired formula that plagued Season 1.

The scene in the Grundy episode where Batman is ever so slightly cheered and encouraged by the sight of a kid wearing the bat-costume on Halloween is done just right. So is the scene where the Gotham police finally acknowledge Batman as a hero. With so many wasted "moments" in Season 1, I'm glad to finally see these characters connect like real human beings.

I'm sad to keep hearing that Season 3 is another disappointment by contrast, but I can't pass judgment yet. As it stands, The Batman still ain't perfect, but Season 2 is a fun viewing experience, if you can approach it with an open mind. Oh, and unless you newcomers are real sticklers for watching these episodes in exact order, I'd recommend watching Season 2 first, then you can decide if Season 1 is worth your time.

Unfortunate revisionist retelling

Author: Douglas (crashmasterd@spymac.com) from United States
6 January 2006

Ho-hum. Another retelling of the Batman story that just happens to do nothing right.

The character designs have been completely changed and all of them incompetently. Since when does Batman himself go from a lantern jawed hero to a chinless pencil-neck? The return of the yellow-gold utility belt is just as awful. Commissioner Gordon is unrecognizable, and even Batgirl has lost any kind of design interest. Only Barbara Gordon is pleasing to watch, and even here there is a complete departure from decades of good design.

Even the voice acting is sub-par (with the notable exception of Danielle Judovits as Batgirl/ Barbara Gordon). Rino Romano is completely miscast as Batman/Bruce Wayne, and is a distraction throughout the series. After Kevin Conroy there was always going to be a high standard for The Bat, but this is simply a horrible move in the wrong direction. Alastair Duncan is almost as bad as Alfred, and the rest of the regulars are unspectacular- even Adam West (The mayor????)

The Animation is probably better than "Batman the Animated Series", it's predecessor. However, the set designs and overall look of the series does nothing to forward the franchise. To coin a phrase: It's ugly bling. Everything is lovingly drawn, but it has no style or sophistication. "Batman Beyond" was an experiment that at least worked in it's own right, (whether you like it or not, it worked on it's own level) but this doesn't work at all. It's almost as if it were designed to be marketed to a foreign audience.

The stories are hackneyed and mishandled. Somewhere along the way the good writers with a genuine fan's interest in the subject have been replaced with committee based standard corporate Hollywood blandness. Nothing new here, and the old stories are ineptly handled. We are also written down to like children often are, when what children really want is to be written up to, and treated as if they are just as sophisticated as adults. Generally they are.

There's nothing here to pique your interest. I cannot recommend this to anything but sub- seven year old latchkey kids with nothing better to do.

I'm so sorry.