IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 9: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

1st Season was average. 2nd Season redeems it...

Author: Wogle from United Kingdom
7 October 2005

First of all, let me say it. I like the show. I know there are purists out there who think the only Batman is TAS Batman, and I'll honestly say I loved that series. However "The Batman" does well what it was intended to do.

In all essence, WB have done to Batman, what Marvel have done to their franchises - Restarted it from scratch. Specifically, I'd say it's similar to "Ultimate Spider-Man", in that they've used the original story as a base, but gone down a different path.

The 1st Season was really just developing the characters. It wasn't as dark as TAS, but then again, I don't think that it was meant to be. It definitely took a darker turn in Season 2, and the story lines definitely improved overall.

Possibly one of the biggest gripes with the series for me, is that it took a long time to introduce Commissioner Gordon. According to what I've read, Batgirl therefore appears early (Season 3 hasn't aired in the UK). Whether this is a good idea, skipping Robin completely, I don't know. I can only wait and see.

Conclusively, "The Batman" is a good show. You can't compare TAS and this, because they're aimed at completely different audiences, and times.

Worthless!

Author: LordJazor from United States
22 October 2006

I was raised watching the original Batman Animated Series, and am an avid Batman graphic novel collector. With a comic book hero as iconic as Batman, there are certain traits that cannot be changed. Creative liberties are all well and good, but when it completely changes the character, then it is too far. I purchased one of the seasons of "The Batman" in the hopes that an extra bonus feature could shed some light on the creators' reasoning for making this show such an atrocity. In an interview on the making of "The Batman," one of the artists or writers (I'm unsure which) said that "We felt we shouldn't mess with Batman, but we could mess with the villains." So, they proceeded to make the Joker into an immature little kid begging for attention, the Penguin into some anime knockoff, Mr. Freeze into a super-powered jewel thief, Poison Ivy into a teenage hippie, and countless other shameful acts which are making Bob Kane roll over in his grave.

To sum it all up: I wish I had more hands so I could give this show FOUR THUMBS DOWN. It squeezes by my rating with a 2 out of 10 simply because it uses the Batman name. Warner Bros...rethink this! Please!

Not for Batman purists...

Author: g933299 from Malaysia
21 April 2006

It's the new millennium, and superheroes are getting more high tech makeovers. Not all like to see makeovers, though, and this is mainly one of the things many Batman purists rant about.

But, on its own, apart from the original Batman: TAS, The Batman's pretty good, and is one slick and fun filled joyride.

Produced by Glen Murakami (who also produced the recent TV hit series The Teen Titans), The Batman features everyone's favorite Dark Knight with spiffier looking gadgets and a Hot-Wheels-like Batmobile, complete with the same amazing fight sequences that made Teen Titans a rocking action packed series (seriously, the style + the rapid & smooth motions aren't that different).

Batman looks different, shorter ears, rounder head, a more triangular jaw, and his cape now reminds me of Spawn's tendrils. Not only that, the villains get a new look too. I was excited to see how Batman's baddies look like in the new age, but I was kinda disappointed by some. But that didn't subtract from the overall fun factor.

Makeovers. It's a love it or hate it kinda thing. Most Batman purists have already voiced their boos. But for the casual fan like me, I love it :D All in all, while not perfect, it deserves a watch. An 8 out of 10 in my book.

Why? Why? Why?

Author: garyd689 from United Kingdom
1 April 2006

I have never commented on IMDb before, but I feel I have to after watching The Batman animation. Its absolute rubbish! Warner Brothers had the perfect animation series in Batman in the early 90s so what the hell are they doing trying to mess with the winning formula? I feel like writing a complaint letter to WB. The original animation was dark and brooding, exactly the way Batman was intended to be. WB had to mess this up with some tripe Batman of the Future. Now they produce this drivel. The Joker doesn't remotely resemble the Joker from DC comics. DC should sue. I urge everyone who agrees with me to email or write to WB and use people power to get back the original formula

Not bad, IMO

Author: Feral2k from United States
12 January 2005

Well, many people have said that this show sucks. However, I think that it's a breath of fresh air. Rather than the whole "respected masked man of the community" take, the show takes a very real take on police response to vigilantes: that they might mean well, they are still held responsible for their actions. Alfred comes across as more human than in the other animated series. There's no Robin, Batgirl and Nightwing to stand around and take punches meant for the big guy himself so far, stealing screen time from Bats as well. Also, unlike what most people think, the character designs in this series rock. Joker, Catwoman, Freeze, Man-bat and Firefly all rock in their new incarnations, while Penguin seems to be about the same as before. I'll admit, Bane looks like crap in his muscled form, and the Cluemaster was a bit of a waste, but we can overlook this. One las thing to say. This is NOT B:TAS, and you simply cannot compare the two. Just give it a chance, guys.

Unfortunate revisionist retelling

Author: Douglas (crashmasterd@spymac.com) from United States
6 January 2006

Ho-hum. Another retelling of the Batman story that just happens to do nothing right.

The character designs have been completely changed and all of them incompetently. Since when does Batman himself go from a lantern jawed hero to a chinless pencil-neck? The return of the yellow-gold utility belt is just as awful. Commissioner Gordon is unrecognizable, and even Batgirl has lost any kind of design interest. Only Barbara Gordon is pleasing to watch, and even here there is a complete departure from decades of good design.

Even the voice acting is sub-par (with the notable exception of Danielle Judovits as Batgirl/ Barbara Gordon). Rino Romano is completely miscast as Batman/Bruce Wayne, and is a distraction throughout the series. After Kevin Conroy there was always going to be a high standard for The Bat, but this is simply a horrible move in the wrong direction. Alastair Duncan is almost as bad as Alfred, and the rest of the regulars are unspectacular- even Adam West (The mayor????)

The Animation is probably better than "Batman the Animated Series", it's predecessor. However, the set designs and overall look of the series does nothing to forward the franchise. To coin a phrase: It's ugly bling. Everything is lovingly drawn, but it has no style or sophistication. "Batman Beyond" was an experiment that at least worked in it's own right, (whether you like it or not, it worked on it's own level) but this doesn't work at all. It's almost as if it were designed to be marketed to a foreign audience.

The stories are hackneyed and mishandled. Somewhere along the way the good writers with a genuine fan's interest in the subject have been replaced with committee based standard corporate Hollywood blandness. Nothing new here, and the old stories are ineptly handled. We are also written down to like children often are, when what children really want is to be written up to, and treated as if they are just as sophisticated as adults. Generally they are.

There's nothing here to pique your interest. I cannot recommend this to anything but sub- seven year old latchkey kids with nothing better to do.

I'm so sorry.

They need to get Kevin Conroy back!

Author: clh-1 from Seattle, Wa
12 March 2005

This is seriously a big let down for all fans of the animated adventures of the Dark Knight. After nearly 12 years of top rate entertainment coming from Warner Brothers Animation on the topic of Batman, they threw most of the audience out the window just to get a show that might sell a few action figures. The deep meaningful stories and intricate plots of the 1990's series are gone for a series of simply done action sequences. The voice actors don't even sound right, and the look is too much for the Pokemon crowd. Lets hope that WB gets their act together and they give us another season of the great animated series of old. In the meantime, go rent the first season of the Kevin Conroy series on DVD.

Can't hold a candle to Bruce Timm's Batman: The Animated Series

Author: toastboy54 from United States
25 July 2006

Season 1: 3 out of 10

In the 1990's, Batman: The Animated Series redefined American animation and children's programming with Emmy winning episodes that offered complex characters driven by deep emotions, outstanding action sequences, and top notch voice acting; all brought to life in the confines of a stylized, but strangely believable neo-noir Gotham City.

The Batman, however, seems to depend almost exclusively on bland, semi-sarcastic dialogue given to one dimensional characters who exist in an unpopulated void of nonstop violence and destruction. Batman's morose consideration of his dark past and guilty conscience gets a few beats here and there, but it's quickly replaced by the next action sequence, which seems to be this series' only reason for existing.

Am I being too hard on this show? Yes, of course I am. As a longtime fan of the 90's Batman: The Animated Series, I was hoping for much more after years without any new Batman cartoons (Yes, I know Batman appears occasionally on Justice League, but it's just not the same).

That being said, the show isn't all bad. To be fair, if I had never seen the 90's show, my review would probably be a bit more positive. I will admit that the action scenes in The Batman (though overblown and too prominent) are extremely well animated. And though I prefer the semi-retro, art deco look of The Animated Series, this show has a look that works. I also like the main theme by The Edge, though I never would have imagined liking a Batman theme done on electric guitar.

But I'm afraid my problems with the show vastly outweigh the positives. I had high hopes for The Batman, and was deeply disappointed that while the animation techniques and flashy computer effects have advanced considerably, the story and characters have taken a distant backseat to the action.

I realize that this show is a new take on the Batman mythos. But what truly bugs me is not that it doesn't follow The Animated Series, but that the overall story quality is so diluted. I can deal with revamped characters and the like, but I really wish they had spent more time making me care about the people, especially the villains, who should all have unique personalities and motives of their own.

For instance, Batman: The Animated Series went out of its way to rewrite Mr. Freeze's origin story, turning him from a gimmicky bad guy into a tragic figure, driven by the love of his wife, and the hatred for the man who ruined him and made him the way he is.

In The Batman, Mr. Freeze is a jewel thief until he has an accident involving cryogenics. Then he becomes a jewel thief...that freezes stuff. Come on, people. I don't mind that they changed his origins. What I mind is that they obviously gave no thought to the character at all. It's almost like they drew and animated these episodes before even writing a plot. Not that these formulaic plots would take much writing.

I know the show is aimed at younger viewers, but that's no reason to dumb it down. I was about 9 when The Animated Series began airing. My cousin was about 7. That didn't stop us from loving the show and watching it obsessively.

To clarify, I have only seen about seven or eight episodes from the first season of The Batman, and I hear that the following seasons show more promise in terms of character and narrative development. Having said that, I'm not sure I care enough to keep watching.

Season 2: 8 out of 10

I have just recently finished watching all of Season 2 of The Batman, and I must say it's CONSIDERABLY better than Season 1. While the first season relied on an extremely repetitive plot formula, an overabundance of stupid gadgets, and needlessly moronic reinventions of classic characters (Scarface is a giant friggin' robot?), this season shows much more promise in terms of both character and emotion.

Though it still lacks some of the gravitas and bitter irony that make the 90's Batman: The Animated Series a perfect 10, the characters are finally starting to develop, and the episode plots have all but thrown out the tired formula that plagued Season 1.

The scene in the Grundy episode where Batman is ever so slightly cheered and encouraged by the sight of a kid wearing the bat-costume on Halloween is done just right. So is the scene where the Gotham police finally acknowledge Batman as a hero. With so many wasted "moments" in Season 1, I'm glad to finally see these characters connect like real human beings.

I'm sad to keep hearing that Season 3 is another disappointment by contrast, but I can't pass judgment yet. As it stands, The Batman still ain't perfect, but Season 2 is a fun viewing experience, if you can approach it with an open mind. Oh, and unless you newcomers are real sticklers for watching these episodes in exact order, I'd recommend watching Season 2 first, then you can decide if Season 1 is worth your time.

The Batman = PATHETIC!

Author: HenshinHero from United States
30 December 2005

What kind is that?! "The Batman"? No... The BatLame! It is totally disgrace to all Batman The Animated Series and DC comic books. It's a pathetic animated series ever I have seen in my whole life. What's up with Warner Bros? I guess... MONEY! C'mon! It's not very dark series. 90's Batman The Animated Series, Gotham Knight and Beyond were one of the best ever I have seen and it was actually dark, perfect and I felt like that series was really BATMAN! And back to "The Batman..." ...errr... "The BatLame", what was that? Look at the Joker? It's not REALLY JOKER! Bane? Horrible looking! The Penguin? Close but lame. Catwoman? Maybe but at least it was really similar to comic books.

Bruce Wayne's manor inside of downtown? What the heck?! That explains why "The Batman" was one of the worst series ever.

"The Batman" receives an F!! My advice to you, DON'T WATCH IT!

Why Does The WB feel the need to Mess With Things?

Author: mrdarkk
15 September 2004

I haven't even seen the new Batman Series on the Kids WB network but I mean really it looks like The Jackie Chan Adventures. I mean The Animation and quality they had when they made Batman:The Animated Series and it's Spinoffs was greater than what they are offering here. They tried to do the same thing to The X-Men and just totally Wrecked it. I mean I know things have to evolve...but they really should have raised the bar and not lowered it. If I want Jackie Chan Adventures I'll watch it. I want Batman so I probably won't watch this. I'll stick to getting my Bat Fix through the DVD of the Animated Series and Watching Justice League Unlimited on The Cartoon Network.

Page 8 of 9: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]