IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 10: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Second rate Batman

Author: Cheese Hoven from United Kingdom
13 February 2014

IMHO the good seasons of this series are the even numbers 2 and 4 while the odd numbered seasons are variable to say the least.

The first series has a number of missteps such as unconvincingly redesigned villains, Mr Freeze reverted to his mediocre pre-frozen wife days and The Joker deprived of his now essential ally, Harley Quinn. This first season is largely forgettable but by season 2 the writing is stronger and there are a number of good episodes.

Unfortunately season 3 makes the biggest misstep of all: the introduction of Batgirl as sidekick. Rather than playing a sopporting role, she dominates the series so much that it should have been renamed "I was a teenage Batgirl".

Season 4 also adds a pubescent Robin which should have been a recipe for disaster, but. against all expectations, this season is a triumph. "Strange New World" and "artefacts" are my two favourite episodes, but others are memorable too. Harley Quinn puts in a belated appearance. Sadly the 5th season falls back into mediocrity and it is just as well the series was cancelled.

next best thing to the TAS 1992 version, but too stylized

Author: ftlion from United States
11 July 2013

Love almost everything about it. At first I didn't care for the animation style, but I have gotten used to some of it. I like the way that Alfred the cops are drawn, and I LOVE Selena Kyle, but some of the villains seem over-stylized, as do Robin and Batgirl. I like the man himself except for Bruce/Batman's head, the top of which consistently seems too small for his face, while some other characters are appropriately proportioned. But the writing is pretty good, which is helping me deal with any qualms I have over the more kids cartoon-y look of the artwork. It feels sort of Disney-esque as well as anime, at least to me, which sort of clashes with the Dark Knight's whole theme. It feels like the colors are sort of over saturated where I think subtlety would have been more appropriate. Overall, the look of it is a somewhat jarring yet constant reminder that it is a cartoon.

That being said, I doubt there is a more perfect rendition of the Bat than the 1992 Batman: The Animated Series. THAT one is flawless from the ground up. Style, casting, writing left nothing to be desired (Kevin Conroy FOREVER - how DARE you say otherwise! Bruce/Bat were notably different, so I don't know what that other reviewer is talking about.). And that isn't kiddy nostalgia talking, since that came out when I was already an adult, and I STILL couldn't wait to get home to see it. Great show.

But since that one is gone, this is the next best thing in terms of writing. This one is growing on me some, though, and if the idea of a rather Korean looking Bruce/Batman doesn't cause you any cognitive dissonance in the anime feel, then you may find it to be quite awesome.

good, Could have been much better

Author: smallvillecool from United States
27 July 2008

This show was not as good as B:TAS BUT IT WAS STILL GOOD! This show had much more action than all the other batman shows, much more hi-tech gadgets( this is the 21-century, Batman needs to fight evil, and he can't do that with just gray shirt, batarangs, and a hook) This show had a cool Batbot, a nice Batmobile, and better baterangs, jetpacks( i mean, shouldn't bats fly?) state of the art computers and more.

Also, the villains were good, Joker's design was terrible, but he should be able to hold his own against Batman, and Bane was more menacing, like a the Hulk, he made us feel fear, and we hoped Batman can beat him, also they should have had Freeze's origin from B:tas. but here he could control ice, way cooler! Manbat was big, and Firefly was a good villain. b:tas's villains really did not threaten Gotham, these villains do, like killer Croc and Black mask.

This show also had wonderful versions of Superman , green Arrow, and Flash. Now, one of the few problems was Robin and Batgirl, it was really corny, and not showing regular crime like drugs,robbery, murder, rape. Really corny. But overall, this was a good show, i wish they hadn't cancelled it.

it has some great episodes

Author: rumasuk from Ecuador
11 January 2013

this show isn't as memorable as the first one, but i don't see a vast difference between the writing in this show and the writing in the other DC animated shows. It really has some great great moments. I would say that its just not as legendary as other shows except for moments like when batman uses the green lantern ring or when the joker riddler and penguin decide to bet the city on who kills batman first, but the episode "Artifacts" is a must see for any batfan, is incredible, is one of the best animated love letters to the character and the bat community. the 2 episodes with superman are good too. most of the series get a 7, but the episode artifacts gets a 10 for me

Black and White Dark Knight

Author: Farthingale from South Africa
17 January 2007

My biggest problem with The Batman is not the Jackie Chan flashbacks, or the I'm-So-Frikken-Contemporary soundtrack... it's what has been done to the franchise's most effective element: its villains.

One need not go into the global outrage at the 'new and improved' Joker. Anyone who's read the comics will most likely just blanket Monkeyfist-in-drag from their minds, or (like I do) imagine him to be a terrible poseur, who slipped onto the scene while the real Mr J was out of town.

But look at the other villains, if you will, and observe every streak of humanity being burnt from them. Remember the pathos you felt for poor Manbat? Doomed by his ambitions? And Doctor Freeze, fighting a losing battle against his wife's mortality? Or the Penguin, self-consciously 'freaky' and trying to compensate with shows of overwrought grandeur? Or Pamela Isley, so concerned for the environment that she became a plant herself? Well worry no longer, regular people! Your villains are now completely two dimensional stereotypes, who you have no danger of relating to, and are also not likely to start following as an endearing anti-hero! Manbat was especially effective as an out-and-out lunatic monster, who pretended to have family ties just to throw Proto-Batsy off the scent! Yes, friends. Worry no longer. You're safe from shades of grey in The Batman.

A Waste Of Animation

Author: twitchy_fit from Australia
15 November 2006

Not only did they get the characters all wrong, not only do the voices suck, not only do the writers seriously need to get girlfriends, not only are the drawings really crude, but it seems like it was mainly created for ages 1-6. The only episode I've ever seen of this show that kept me watching, was "A Mattter Of Family", because I liked the Robin character. And sometimes I think it's just a general copy of Batman The Animated Series. Example: In BTAS, Bruce is friends with Harvey Dent, yeah? Over a two episode story, he transforms into the unlikely villain, TwoFace. In the "Show" Bruce is Friends with that Ethan guy, and over a two episode story, he Transforms into the unlikely villain ClayFace. That was just a small example (That may not even be true), but in short, this is the WORST attempt on a Batman series. And That's saying something.

"The" Batman? *raised eyebrow*

Author: omni_omega_64 from United States
20 November 2005

NOTE:

First of all, I better clarify a few things. I like Batman. I loved the original Animated Series. I am not biasing towards the original show alone, but for everything that the Batman name stands for. I know this isn't the original animated series and that it is a remake so I will do my best to try to deviate all judgment from the original and will try to keep focus on the new.

I can honestly say that I was very excited as I waited for the premier of the show when it first came out. After the 30 minutes was over, I was trying my damnedest to try to comprehend what I have just seen. Then for a while I feel into denial. But now after 2 and half Seasons, I think I have seen enough for now to make some decent comments.

Tooooooo much action! Where did the Masked Detective part of Batman go off too? What happened to good old fashion sleuthing and clues and puzzles? Obiviously into hiding cause it seems like everyone on the show is just a fighter and not too much brain power is used. I just don't feel there is really much a mental development going on here. It always seems to be Batman Versus *insert random villain here* with little substance and small, dumded down twists.

Okay, I know this new Joker isn't Mark Hamill, but this new rendention of the Joker is too far from the what Joker is supposed to be. The Joker is supposed to be witty, extremely smart, artsy, and at the same time an absolute homicidal psychopath, but it is all coming out wrong with this one. This new Joker is too wild and loony for my taste. His gimmicks are about as senseless and cheap as his jokes. Worse of all, he is annoying. REALLY annoying. Its an interesting character, I must admit, but as the Joker, this is not him. This character belongs somewhere else, but not as what is supposed to be Batman's greatest nemesis.

With Batgirl coming in as a kid (an interesting and actually very well played out device) I wonder what will be of Robin? The Batwave really annoys me. Its too much of a convenient tool for Batman. When is that Commissioner Gordon gonna install that thing called a Bat Signal? You know, that big search light with the Batman logo on it. That thing that has been in the comics way before I was even born...

Can someone please tell me why the Batmobiles look like the belong in a Hot Wheels Racer set than in the Batcave? Now as the season continues, I think things are getting somewhat better, but i can't help but feel as if Batman, Catwoman, and Batgirl seem to mirror Jackie Chan, Viper, and Jade from the Jackie Chan animated series. Seriously, if you saw the last episode this past Saturday, you'd know what I mean....

And those are my major comments concerning the Batman. More too come as things progress.

Batman Not Quite.

Author: cows_dairy_edgington from United States
28 May 2008

Okay, I've always been a fan of Batman. I loved the animated series, and even Batman Beyond. I even read a batman comic now and then. So as can be imagined--I was a little excited when I heard about this series, and then I was SEVERELY disappointed. This series is nothing. It doesn't even begin to compare with the original series. It's like one long TOY commercial. No depth whatsoever. And what the heck was with the Joker? Who,in my most humble opinion, is the best Batman villain of ALL time and they KILLED him. I wish I could say his design was the worst part. Actually, I wish I could say there was anything about this series that was remotely creative or interesting. In short (because believe me I could say so much more)do NOT waste your time on this show, or your money.

An Insult To Batman

Author: copdude1993 from United States
2 August 2006

I cant believe some people actually like this. Yet still call themselves Batman fans. Even going as far as to say it's better than BTAS. Which it's not. It should be plagiarism for them to use Batman's name for this piece of crap. It's not Batman.

The whole premise of the show is ''if you cant defeat someone get a bigger weapon to help you'' Batman isn't all about weapons. He uses his batarang and grappling hook and Batmobile, thats it. He doesn't come up with some new ingenious tech every time he cant beat someone. I don't know where the hell they got the idea for a Batbot. or whatever. They have ruined all the villains. Mr. Freeze has gone from a sympathetic scientist to a petty criminal who fell in some cryofreezing thing. Catwoman is now a 40 or 50 year old woman with a dumb costume. Penguin is now a ninja with a 50 ft. tall top hat. The Ventriloquist is now called Scarface making the Dummy the whole centerpiece for the character. They even got a dumb idea to make him a giant! wtf? and the two worst character changes are that of The Joker and Riddler. they have changed Riddler to a Gothic/retro teenage freak. and The Joker to an acrobat with dreads. He looks like a bob Marley wannabe. they have completely and utterly ruined batman even moreso than B&R did! i wish i could meet the creators and or writers and animators of this show so i could whack them in the head with a metal baseball bat.

Liked it, but . . .

Author: Tresix from Chicago, Illinois
15 September 2004

Once again, the cartoon world takes a stab at reinventing Batman. "The Batman" gives us Batman (voice of Rino Romano) in the third year of his crimefighting career. As usual, the origin stays the same: Thomas, Martha and young Bruce Wayne are walking home from a movie when a hold-up man kills Bruce's parents. He swears to wage a war on crime, goes into training in various fields of martial arts, science, athletics in order to become a creature of the night and strike fear in the hearts of the criminal element. The first episode of the new cartoon has Batman still being thought of as an "urban legend" when Gotham detectives Ethan Bennett (Steve Harris, formerly of "The Practice") and Ellen Yin (Ming Na from "ER") being assigned to investigate his comings and goings. He also has his first run in with the Joker (Kevin Michael Richardson), who looks totally different than his usual appearance. However, he IS just as insane as ever.

Since this is early in Batman's career, there is no Commissioner Gordon or Robin in the picture. From the opening credits, all of the well-known villains such as Penguin, Catwoman, Croc and Mr. Freeze will be making appearances in the future. The artwork and the animation are well done. However, the main weakness I find with "The Batman" is the voice of Batman. Romano sounds like a good fit for Bruce Wayne, but he doesn't have that mysterious, tough-guy edge to Batman that Kevin Conroy portrayed so well. But, this is, after all, Batman, so I really have no choice but to at least stick around to see which way things will go: "Batman: The Animated Series" or "Batman and the Super Seven". Time will tell.

Page 7 of 10: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]