IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Great if you like this Joker. I didn't

Author: Billy Lee from Canada
6 December 2014

Since the Joker is in this a lot, you have to like this interpretation if you're going to recommend this series. I cannot. I respect the guts it took to do what they did with many of characters and all their redesigning. But they went too far with some, namely, the Joker, the Riddler, and every character with a seemingly swollen, broken, block nose. Can't get behind Catwoman's floppy turtle-neck and giant ears neither. But the Joker takes the cake, and should've been given a different name - as this is a great departure from anything we've seen; a different essence completely.

If you can get past the characterization, and look at the writing and art, love the art, so-so about the writing.

Love how they try to keep it dark and spooky. The animation is top notch. So is the background art. This series has a lot to offer; Including a heaping of confusion, as to whether or not you approve of it. It had the meat to last 5 seasons. It's a toughie.

next best thing to the TAS 1992 version, but too stylized

Author: ftlion from United States
11 July 2013

Love almost everything about it. At first I didn't care for the animation style, but I have gotten used to some of it. I like the way that Alfred the cops are drawn, and I LOVE Selena Kyle, but some of the villains seem over-stylized, as do Robin and Batgirl. I like the man himself except for Bruce/Batman's head, the top of which consistently seems too small for his face, while some other characters are appropriately proportioned. But the writing is pretty good, which is helping me deal with any qualms I have over the more kids cartoon-y look of the artwork. It feels sort of Disney-esque as well as anime, at least to me, which sort of clashes with the Dark Knight's whole theme. It feels like the colors are sort of over saturated where I think subtlety would have been more appropriate. Overall, the look of it is a somewhat jarring yet constant reminder that it is a cartoon.

That being said, I doubt there is a more perfect rendition of the Bat than the 1992 Batman: The Animated Series. THAT one is flawless from the ground up. Style, casting, writing left nothing to be desired (Kevin Conroy FOREVER - how DARE you say otherwise! Bruce/Bat were notably different, so I don't know what that other reviewer is talking about.). And that isn't kiddy nostalgia talking, since that came out when I was already an adult, and I STILL couldn't wait to get home to see it. Great show.

But since that one is gone, this is the next best thing in terms of writing. This one is growing on me some, though, and if the idea of a rather Korean looking Bruce/Batman doesn't cause you any cognitive dissonance in the anime feel, then you may find it to be quite awesome.

Interesting, not great

Author: tigress-12 from United States
3 September 2009

So, I've only watched a few episodes and only the ones with the villains I like or am interested in seeing their take on it. I have to say the show isn't compelling enough for me to watch without my favorite villains. But I am interested in their take on my favorite ones.

I will say I really like their rendition of Clayface and his story better than BTAS. I think it was actually a pretty good story (and I'm not a big fan of Clayface though the only other rendition I've seen of him was BTAS where I thought he was not all that interesting of a character).

And I love Riddler and who voices him (Freddy Krueger's actor ;) ). He does a good job of voicing Riddler and he comes off as very creepy. Though, to be fair, Riddler is another villain I'm not a huge fan of.

I thought I'd hate the new Joker (he's my favorite villain of Batman) but he is amusing, much more cartoonish then BTAS though. But he comes off as very mirthful and the voice does pretty decent (Hamilton still makes my favorite Joker though, followed by the most recent Joker in The Dark Knight). I will say I think I'd put this Joker above Jack Nicholson's.

Batman.. the main character, here is where the show falls flat for me. I just don't care about him. He's boring (Batman is one of the few heros I usually like). BTAS's Batman was a whole lot better. He's too much into the muscle aspect, too unemphasizing and seeing in black and white (I like how for example BTAS's Batman could see that the villain had been wronged).

I do like the Yin character a lot though.

So for me it has its good and bad. Unfortunately since I find the main character boring, I don't think I'll be watching it unless it has an interesting villain pop up. And I definitely will be following any Clayface/Ethan Bennett storyline (which says how much I like it as he was one of those characters in BTAS that I would be disappointed if I found the episode was about him).

As for the animation style, I think it's interesting though sometimes too exaggerated (Joker's head looks enormously big compared to his body for example). Though I do like how they redid the Riddler design wise as well.

It went up and then down

Author: greendragon642000 from Trinidad and Tobago
24 April 2007

I'll start by saying that I grew up watching Batman:the animated series so I Expected a serious Batman show again. What I got was a kiddie show that in a percent nails it at 50% of being Batman. The series started off well Batman running from the police as a wanted vigilante and the gadgets were kinda cool,but I was disappointed by the new Joker. The Joker kills people not makes them laugh and surely he doesn't know kung-fu and wears shoes.Now it went well until we got to the sidekicks and that was when 'The Batman' went campy. In conclusion Batman should be done as a shadowy figure operating outside of police authority and appear as an urban legend to the people of Gotham while the police cover any thing about him up and works alone.

A Waste Of Animation

Author: twitchy_fit from Australia
15 November 2006

Not only did they get the characters all wrong, not only do the voices suck, not only do the writers seriously need to get girlfriends, not only are the drawings really crude, but it seems like it was mainly created for ages 1-6. The only episode I've ever seen of this show that kept me watching, was "A Mattter Of Family", because I liked the Robin character. And sometimes I think it's just a general copy of Batman The Animated Series. Example: In BTAS, Bruce is friends with Harvey Dent, yeah? Over a two episode story, he transforms into the unlikely villain, TwoFace. In the "Show" Bruce is Friends with that Ethan guy, and over a two episode story, he Transforms into the unlikely villain ClayFace. That was just a small example (That may not even be true), but in short, this is the WORST attempt on a Batman series. And That's saying something.

Batman Not Quite.

Author: cows_dairy_edgington from United States
28 May 2008

Okay, I've always been a fan of Batman. I loved the animated series, and even Batman Beyond. I even read a batman comic now and then. So as can be imagined--I was a little excited when I heard about this series, and then I was SEVERELY disappointed. This series is nothing. It doesn't even begin to compare with the original series. It's like one long TOY commercial. No depth whatsoever. And what the heck was with the Joker? Who,in my most humble opinion, is the best Batman villain of ALL time and they KILLED him. I wish I could say his design was the worst part. Actually, I wish I could say there was anything about this series that was remotely creative or interesting. In short (because believe me I could say so much more)do NOT waste your time on this show, or your money.

An Insult To Batman

Author: copdude1993 from United States
2 August 2006

I cant believe some people actually like this. Yet still call themselves Batman fans. Even going as far as to say it's better than BTAS. Which it's not. It should be plagiarism for them to use Batman's name for this piece of crap. It's not Batman.

The whole premise of the show is ''if you cant defeat someone get a bigger weapon to help you'' Batman isn't all about weapons. He uses his batarang and grappling hook and Batmobile, thats it. He doesn't come up with some new ingenious tech every time he cant beat someone. I don't know where the hell they got the idea for a Batbot. or whatever. They have ruined all the villains. Mr. Freeze has gone from a sympathetic scientist to a petty criminal who fell in some cryofreezing thing. Catwoman is now a 40 or 50 year old woman with a dumb costume. Penguin is now a ninja with a 50 ft. tall top hat. The Ventriloquist is now called Scarface making the Dummy the whole centerpiece for the character. They even got a dumb idea to make him a giant! wtf? and the two worst character changes are that of The Joker and Riddler. they have changed Riddler to a Gothic/retro teenage freak. and The Joker to an acrobat with dreads. He looks like a bob Marley wannabe. they have completely and utterly ruined batman even moreso than B&R did! i wish i could meet the creators and or writers and animators of this show so i could whack them in the head with a metal baseball bat.

Liked it, but . . .

Author: Tresix from Chicago, Illinois
15 September 2004

Once again, the cartoon world takes a stab at reinventing Batman. "The Batman" gives us Batman (voice of Rino Romano) in the third year of his crimefighting career. As usual, the origin stays the same: Thomas, Martha and young Bruce Wayne are walking home from a movie when a hold-up man kills Bruce's parents. He swears to wage a war on crime, goes into training in various fields of martial arts, science, athletics in order to become a creature of the night and strike fear in the hearts of the criminal element. The first episode of the new cartoon has Batman still being thought of as an "urban legend" when Gotham detectives Ethan Bennett (Steve Harris, formerly of "The Practice") and Ellen Yin (Ming Na from "ER") being assigned to investigate his comings and goings. He also has his first run in with the Joker (Kevin Michael Richardson), who looks totally different than his usual appearance. However, he IS just as insane as ever.

Since this is early in Batman's career, there is no Commissioner Gordon or Robin in the picture. From the opening credits, all of the well-known villains such as Penguin, Catwoman, Croc and Mr. Freeze will be making appearances in the future. The artwork and the animation are well done. However, the main weakness I find with "The Batman" is the voice of Batman. Romano sounds like a good fit for Bruce Wayne, but he doesn't have that mysterious, tough-guy edge to Batman that Kevin Conroy portrayed so well. But, this is, after all, Batman, so I really have no choice but to at least stick around to see which way things will go: "Batman: The Animated Series" or "Batman and the Super Seven". Time will tell.

Liked the 1992 Batman cartoon and Batman Beyond better

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
25 October 2004

The Batman is okay but I liked the 1992 Batman cartoon and Batman Beyond better. Because this version on the other hand is totally different! Like this series is somewhat like Bruce Wayne in his younger days like in his 20's. Bruce Wayne is younger in this series and is trying to trying to establish himself as Batman, protector of Gotham City. He is in his mid-twenties, just finding his way as protector, defender and Caped Crusader, while balancing his public persona as billionaire bachelor Bruce Wayne. Living in Gotham, a metropolis where shadows run long and deep, beneath elevated train tracks, this younger Batman will confront updated takes of familiar foes - meeting each member of his classic Rogue's Gallery for the first time. From the likes of Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Riddler and Man-Bat, among others, the war on crime jumps to the next level with a new arsenal at the Dark Knight's disposal, all operated and linked by an advanced remote-controlled invention he dubs the "Bat-Wave." I hate the way The Joker looks in this cartoon because he looks like It the killer clown and second of all The Joker fights like Toad from X-Men! I like the old way The Joker looks which was wearing a business suit instead of dressing like a clown! The Penguin looks mostly normal except for his teeth which are sharp. Catwoman looks okay. Mr. Freeze looks pretty cool except for the thing with his ice powers coming from his hands instead of a ray-gun. Bane looks really cool! I'm not sure about the other villains yet. Rino Romano (also did the voice of Peter Parker/Spider-Man from Spider-Man Unlimited) is not bad at Bruce Wayne/The Batman at least he sounds rough when there are scenes where Batman is fighting crime. I wish Rino Romano could have done the same thing when he did the voice of Peter Parker/Spider-Man in "Spider-Man: Unlimited". Some of the other voice actors are okay but some need to be replaced. But the animation design of all the characters are totally different compared to the 1992 cartoon. OK but the last two Batman cartoons were better.

addendum

Author: Quincy Hughes (MilkShakeBOOM@msn.com) from United States
11 September 2004

I commented on this when it first debuted and gave it a "thumbs in the middle" review, remarking that I'd give it the benefit of the doubt beyond just the first episode. I've seen a total of six episodes now up to this point in June 2006. And as a lifelong Batman fanatic, I can say without hesitation: this show is utter crap.

Everything's wrong with it. Everything. Getting past just the lousy animation and design, the stories are ridiculously convoluted and with no character development or apparent interest by the writers of this dreck to give any substance to any stories.

And for God's sake...is it just me, or is the Joker in EVERY EPISODE?? Is Gotham that much of a revolving-door justice system? Or, again, is it just a complete lack of interest in the writers to put any effort into other villains (see "no character development", above).

And to make matters worse, every single Joker tale is the same 3-part formula.

1) Joker gasses people.

2) Joker sets out to gas the whole city.

3) Batman saves the day.

Pfeh.

There was one episode I saw that wasn't a Joker story. The title escapes me, but the villain was that nefarious Cluemaster...the "Think Thank Thunk" episode with the quiz show. That was the single-worst Batman story I've ever seen, heard or read. Yes, worse than "I've Got Batman in My Basement."

I can't really say what I feel this show is because it's probably against the ToS, but it starts with "B" and rhymes with "fastardization". Thank goodness for the existence of the Timm/Dini/etc. era of Bat-entertainment, back from the Fox and Kids WB days. Stuff that good, and I should have known this, just couldn't possibly have lasted forever, unfortunately.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]