IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Underrated and overlooked

Author: Ethan_Martin from United States
31 July 2016

I feel bad for this series, I really do. A lot of episodes were more comedic than dark, and I'm guessing that's why people look down on it. The absence of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill could also be a reason why people don't like this as much. Instead of dwelling in the past, this series decided to go down it's own path, the character designs are cool, the episodes that are written well are phenomenal, and Rino Romano is a great Bruce Wayne. Kevin Michael Richardson is also a great person to voice Joker in this. Adding in other voice actors like Robert Englund and Tom Kenny was an awesome idea. The series had it's faults sure, some of the comedy episodes fall flat, but overall the show was very good, great even. It decided to take chances, chances that a lot of fans would like and some fans would hate. It's "The Little Animated Batman Show That Could" of Batman cartoons, it had a lot of odds stacked against it, but it managed to survive for 5 seasons and have a definitive end.

Great Reimagination of the Batman

Author: Vishesh-galaxy
23 May 2015

The Batman is, in my opinion, an excellent take on the Batman that is fitting in the current age of tech. The Batwave, the hand-held Batwave transceiver, the Batmobile, the Batboat, and of course, the Batcave itself are really cool and original.

It may be hard for some to get accustomed to the new voice actors (it was for me), if you're used to the voices of the likes of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. However, given enough time, you'll not only like the new voices; but, also appreciate the way they fit their respective characters.

The artwork and styling of the show is not conventional and I found it a little jarring to begin with. Yet again, it finally grew upon me and I came to really like it by the middle of the second season.

Many of the villains have been re-imagined and are pretty different from what we are used to seeing from the comic books or previous animated iterations of the Dark Knight. I feel this re-imagining adds new life and opens up new and unexplored avenues that may have otherwise been missed if they carried on with the same character design for many decades. The way I like to see it is that each different iteration lies in a different universe, unless of course they are meant to be in the same universe. If you take the different shows in this way, you'll really appreciate the new flavors that they bring to the table.

It is fine for characters to be re-imagined in radically different ways because that is what makes these shows interesting. I feel that one should not put down a show just because it is not true to previous iterations. As long as the cores of the characters are preserved, it doesn't matter if the Penguin knows a bit of martial arts, or the Joker is loonier than usual and has some funky gadgets of his own. Just watch it with an open mind and don't compare it with anything else.

In a nutshell, I really enjoy watching the Batman and I like the way the characters have been re-imagined. The show, the stories and the characters themselves feel fresh and it is an excellent complement to BTAS (another show that I dearly love).

Severely underrated

Author: imaad-shahrukh from Bangladesh
19 April 2015

This series is a victim of being bashed by fans and critics due to not being like the predecessor. The Batman, aired originally from 2004 to 2008, is a series with ups and downs. People did not like the redesigns for the characters or the tone, but what's the problem. Unlike the live-action Gotham, which airs on FOX, this series keeps everyone in character, rather than changing them to a state similar to Goku from Dragonball Evolution or Deadpool from X-Men Origins Wolverine. The series may be light, but it gets darker as it reaches the 4th season. The series is still watchable. Batman is perfectly portrayed. Since it is set during Bruce Wayne's earlier years as Batman, it certainly makes sense why he gets his back broken by Bane in episode 2 and why he is new in knowing those villains. Of course, the predecessor may be better, but this series contains consistent animation and character development with Batman becoming more prepared to face his enemies and Joker becoming more monstrous as seen by the episode Joker Express. The series even uses obscure villains properly, by using them alongside classic villains, not like Beware the Batman where they shoved most of the good villains and replaced them with obscure ones. Batgirl before Robin is not bad is Batgirl is legitimately Batman's sidekick, not like Katana in Beware the Batman, who replaces Robin entirely. The series even had a good direct-to- video film follow-up, The Batman vs Dracula. This movie is to The Batman what Return of the Joker was to Batman Beyond and Mask of the Phantasm was to Batman the Animated Series, having a darker tone than the series. The lack of Two-Face, Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul was mainly due to Nolan movies, not to make the series child-friendly. And Gordon does appear from the third season and is just as well depicted, despite not being there from the start. Lucius Fox is also portrayed in a way reminiscent of the Nolan films. Enjoy it if you have an open mind.

what happens when you change a lot of batman stuff with knowing what you are doing?

Author: sakerwaleed97 from amman
18 January 2014

THE BATMAN: is a representation of the caped crusader that we love, the setting of this show is way too different than what we are used to, with a great art style, superior action, terrific voice cast; this show cant be bad, if you are asking where did the plot go?, well, here it is ; the show started a little weak, because it focuses a lot on the gadgets, vehicles and leaves the nice detective work of the dark knight that we always loved, and that's because batman is still young and not at his full strength or intelligence ( that's in the about first 7 episodes),then the show started impressing me with a lot of nice themes and quotations by either Alfred or batman or other guys, and then, the show develops and develops like no show i have ever seen, the incomplete batman that we saw in the beginning becomes a more wise aware of whats going on, the writers showed how batman develops in a fantastic and terrific way when the maniacs and high class villains showed up , it looks like the writers wanted batman to look weak and then made him cooler while developing, (when the batman becomes better the show becomes better ), which makes it a highlighted batman presentation in the batman history and unfortunately, people will not notice that until they watch the entire show to notice the real thing that's going on, all in all : is it better than batman the animated series? not really, but that won't make it one of the nicest presentations of batman i have ever seen.

Interesting, not great

Author: tigress-12 from United States
3 September 2009

So, I've only watched a few episodes and only the ones with the villains I like or am interested in seeing their take on it. I have to say the show isn't compelling enough for me to watch without my favorite villains. But I am interested in their take on my favorite ones.

I will say I really like their rendition of Clayface and his story better than BTAS. I think it was actually a pretty good story (and I'm not a big fan of Clayface though the only other rendition I've seen of him was BTAS where I thought he was not all that interesting of a character).

And I love Riddler and who voices him (Freddy Krueger's actor ;) ). He does a good job of voicing Riddler and he comes off as very creepy. Though, to be fair, Riddler is another villain I'm not a huge fan of.

I thought I'd hate the new Joker (he's my favorite villain of Batman) but he is amusing, much more cartoonish then BTAS though. But he comes off as very mirthful and the voice does pretty decent (Hamilton still makes my favorite Joker though, followed by the most recent Joker in The Dark Knight). I will say I think I'd put this Joker above Jack Nicholson's.

Batman.. the main character, here is where the show falls flat for me. I just don't care about him. He's boring (Batman is one of the few heros I usually like). BTAS's Batman was a whole lot better. He's too much into the muscle aspect, too unemphasizing and seeing in black and white (I like how for example BTAS's Batman could see that the villain had been wronged).

I do like the Yin character a lot though.

So for me it has its good and bad. Unfortunately since I find the main character boring, I don't think I'll be watching it unless it has an interesting villain pop up. And I definitely will be following any Clayface/Ethan Bennett storyline (which says how much I like it as he was one of those characters in BTAS that I would be disappointed if I found the episode was about him).

As for the animation style, I think it's interesting though sometimes too exaggerated (Joker's head looks enormously big compared to his body for example). Though I do like how they redid the Riddler design wise as well.

It went up and then down

Author: greendragon642000 from Trinidad and Tobago
24 April 2007

I'll start by saying that I grew up watching Batman:the animated series so I Expected a serious Batman show again. What I got was a kiddie show that in a percent nails it at 50% of being Batman. The series started off well Batman running from the police as a wanted vigilante and the gadgets were kinda cool,but I was disappointed by the new Joker. The Joker kills people not makes them laugh and surely he doesn't know kung-fu and wears shoes.Now it went well until we got to the sidekicks and that was when 'The Batman' went campy. In conclusion Batman should be done as a shadowy figure operating outside of police authority and appear as an urban legend to the people of Gotham while the police cover any thing about him up and works alone.

Author: Dan Timko from Bizness, Nunya
14 May 2015

Awful re-imagining of Batman. The top reasons are... 1. Completely Miscast Voice Actors

- While some if not most of the Voice Actors in this are great on separate jobs, EVERYONE is mis-cast in this thing. They have Tom Kenny (Sponge Bob Squarepants) as some out of breath Penguin, Kevin Michael Richardson as some deep-voiced, barefoot, dread-locked Joker, Robert Englund as The Riddler, etc. (Although it is nice they have Ron Pearlman, who's familiar with Batman-related work, aka "clayface") 2. The Art.

- They try to be dark, which to some extent you SHOULD for anything Batman related, but the color choices don't match, don't blend, etc. The STYLE of art (character design, form etc) is like some cheap "Adventures of Jackie Chan" knockoff combined with some poor-man's version of American anime. What the F*ck. There's literally no style whatsoever.

This show was basically a cheap ploy for bucks, all masquerading as entertainment. Just. The. Worst.

Okay, but flawed

Author: andcasso-nielsen from Denmark
7 August 2008

A couple of years ago when I first heard of this project, I was pretty thrilled. Like almost any other person on the planet, Im a huge fan of that brilliant masterpiece, the epitome of brilliance, that is "Batman - The Animated Series". Needless to say I was glad to see the character return to the TV-screen.

Then I saw the show...

To be honest I don't think "The Batman" is a bad show. Many of the episodes are really great and they actually made the "Robin as a kid sidekick" thing work, yet the show suffers from some serious problems.

Many of the characters were cartoonish and campy - far from the Batman we knew in "Batman - TAS". Some of them even seemed outright idiotic. Mr. Freeze for instance. Second I hated how the character were all extremely athletic and apparently able to fight like MMA-champions. Even the Penguin! Then there is the graphic tone of the show. It simply didn't do the character credit. The colors were weird and the animation reminded of simplified anime... Which sucks! Overall I think the show is okay... But Im still pretty disappointed.

A fresh take ....

Author: tmf084 from United States
13 September 2014

It's a completely different Batman when you compare it to the one from the 90s animated series and the Justice League show. This show has a different take on the character and depicts a younger Bruce Wayne / Batman that still learning and fumbles from time to time. However it's less character driven and focuses more on the action itself so the new angle gets a bit lost or isn't as integral to the show as you might think. The animation itself was also updated, Batman himself didn't change much with the exception of his jawline. The Joker however got a complete make over, while his character remains pretty much the same. All other characters are pretty close to what you would expect, Alfred is probably more of a father figure, his humor is more direct and often not as subtle. Overall, I'd say if you like the animated Batman then it's definitely worth checking out.

Author: ilypyak from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10 September 2014

This was the first Batman cartoon that i ever remembered as a kid, and it is what i compare to other versions. I remember the first time it aired, i was very excited to watch it, so much that i ran to the basement to try to find my batman shirt, but i could not find it :(. The first episode scared me a kid because i hated clowns, but Batman was more than awesome. The voices are the best, I have yet to find a cast like this since. It got a new generation of kids, including me to like Batman and i love him and DC. I have yet to read the other comments and i hope that they are as positive and not butt hurt because the came from Batman Beyond and such. They're issues but the good over ways the bad completely. Also the style of the drawings is the way super hero cartoons should look like. Thats why it's no surprise that I like Young Justice, Teen Titans and Jackie Chain's Adventures.

Page 5 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]