IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Second rate Batman

Author: Cheese Hoven from United Kingdom
13 February 2014

IMHO the good seasons of this series are the even numbers 2 and 4 while the odd numbered seasons are variable to say the least.

The first series has a number of missteps such as unconvincingly redesigned villains, Mr Freeze reverted to his mediocre pre-frozen wife days and The Joker deprived of his now essential ally, Harley Quinn. This first season is largely forgettable but by season 2 the writing is stronger and there are a number of good episodes.

Unfortunately season 3 makes the biggest misstep of all: the introduction of Batgirl as sidekick. Rather than playing a sopporting role, she dominates the series so much that it should have been renamed "I was a teenage Batgirl".

Season 4 also adds a pubescent Robin which should have been a recipe for disaster, but. against all expectations, this season is a triumph. "Strange New World" and "artefacts" are my two favourite episodes, but others are memorable too. Harley Quinn puts in a belated appearance. Sadly the 5th season falls back into mediocrity and it is just as well the series was cancelled.

what happens when you change a lot of batman stuff with knowing what you are doing?

Author: sakerwaleed97 from amman
18 January 2014

THE BATMAN: is a representation of the caped crusader that we love, the setting of this show is way too different than what we are used to, with a great art style, superior action, terrific voice cast; this show cant be bad, if you are asking where did the plot go?, well, here it is ; the show started a little weak, because it focuses a lot on the gadgets, vehicles and leaves the nice detective work of the dark knight that we always loved, and that's because batman is still young and not at his full strength or intelligence ( that's in the about first 7 episodes),then the show started impressing me with a lot of nice themes and quotations by either Alfred or batman or other guys, and then, the show develops and develops like no show i have ever seen, the incomplete batman that we saw in the beginning becomes a more wise aware of whats going on, the writers showed how batman develops in a fantastic and terrific way when the maniacs and high class villains showed up , it looks like the writers wanted batman to look weak and then made him cooler while developing, (when the batman becomes better the show becomes better ), which makes it a highlighted batman presentation in the batman history and unfortunately, people will not notice that until they watch the entire show to notice the real thing that's going on, all in all : is it better than batman the animated series? not really, but that won't make it one of the nicest presentations of batman i have ever seen.

A fresh take ....

Author: tmf084 from Austria
13 September 2014

It's a completely different Batman when you compare it to the one from the 90s animated series and the Justice League show. This show has a different take on the character and depicts a younger Bruce Wayne / Batman that still learning and fumbles from time to time. However it's less character driven and focuses more on the action itself so the new angle gets a bit lost or isn't as integral to the show as you might think. The animation itself was also updated, Batman himself didn't change much with the exception of his jawline. The Joker however got a complete make over, while his character remains pretty much the same. All other characters are pretty close to what you would expect, Alfred is probably more of a father figure, his humor is more direct and often not as subtle. Overall, I'd say if you like the animated Batman then it's definitely worth checking out.

Childhood

Author: ilypyak from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10 September 2014

This was the first Batman cartoon that i ever remembered as a kid, and it is what i compare to other versions. I remember the first time it aired, i was very excited to watch it, so much that i ran to the basement to try to find my batman shirt, but i could not find it :(. The first episode scared me a kid because i hated clowns, but Batman was more than awesome. The voices are the best, I have yet to find a cast like this since. It got a new generation of kids, including me to like Batman and i love him and DC. I have yet to read the other comments and i hope that they are as positive and not butt hurt because the came from Batman Beyond and such. They're issues but the good over ways the bad completely. Also the style of the drawings is the way super hero cartoons should look like. Thats why it's no surprise that I like Young Justice, Teen Titans and Jackie Chain's Adventures.

Brilliant iteration of Batman

Author: hartsock-951-388121 from Nottinghamshire, England
22 April 2013

There are minor spoilers in this review! 'The Batman' is a great iteration of the character. Many comparison's naturally are drawn to the phenomenal BTAS series of '92, which is quite unfair. BTAS had a double view of the story telling; children could watch and be entertained, but adults could watch and understand a compelling, human and dark story in which children would be totally oblivious to.

The 2004 series is purely a more child-based series. The stories are quite good and goofy. The design of all the villains is unique; they are very different majoritively to their comic book counterpart. Joker is THE main difference. He has a sort of Rastafarian appearance which is extremely strange, but it works for this universe. Penguin is quite young, but easily recogniseable. Scarecrow is massively different and less fear-elemented. Mr Freeze and Firefly are very modern takes on the characters and their designs and voice acting are great. Killer Croc looks much more like Lizard from Spiderman, but Ron Pearlman returns to his Batman voice acting duties switching from BTAS Clayface to The Batman Croc.

Batman himself, voiced by Rino Romano (Luis Sera from Resident Evil 4)is a great rendition of the character. The young, suave playboy millionaire with the handsome looks is played brilliant. He is also a great batman. He isn't as 'dark' as some would like, but there is the element of dark and mysterious which children would pick up. The Batmobile is superb, both designs from season 1-3 and 4-5.

Tim Drake and Barbara Gordon are great characters as Robin and Batgirl. I cant stand Justice league or any other DC character outside of the Batman universe but the episodes which does feature JLA (noticeably Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter and Superman) are actually quite entertaining.

Some stories are hit and miss, but there's some great stories such as the transformation of Bruce's best friend Ethan into Clayface thanks to the Joker, along with trying to rehabilitate him. A great episode featuring Green Arrow and a 3-way turf war between Riddler, Joker and Penguin in which whoever unmasks Batman first will control Gotham.

In the first two series there's a really nice element of Batman still not being recognised by the Police; they do pursue him and hunt him down, but he has an ally in Detective Yin after the transformation of Ethan Bennett. Commissioner Gordons voice will be instantly recogniseable to any sci-fi fans; Mitch Pileggi (Walter Skinner from The X-files/ Samuel Campbell from Supernatural).

Overall, the series is a great watch. Is it as good as BTAS? No, but then BTAS is arguably THE pinnacle interpretation of Batman. Highly recommend watching this series. Miles better than anything of the past 10 years.

it has some great episodes

Author: rumasuk from Ecuador
11 January 2013

this show isn't as memorable as the first one, but i don't see a vast difference between the writing in this show and the writing in the other DC animated shows. It really has some great great moments. I would say that its just not as legendary as other shows except for moments like when batman uses the green lantern ring or when the joker riddler and penguin decide to bet the city on who kills batman first, but the episode "Artifacts" is a must see for any batfan, is incredible, is one of the best animated love letters to the character and the bat community. the 2 episodes with superman are good too. most of the series get a 7, but the episode artifacts gets a 10 for me

Not BTAS...and that's a good thing

Author: amsboethius1 from United States
22 October 2006

This version of the Dark Knight is really an animated "Ultimate Batman" and should be regarded as such. No one loves the "Dini/Timmverse" more than I do, but they're gone now (fie on Warner for 86ing JLU!) and times move on. We should applaud the fact that The Batman's creators have stayed as far away as possible from BTAS in making their show, instead of churning out a cheap copy.

I've never been fond of the "nitpickers" of fandom, who harp on little trivia and ignore gross character discontinuities. For those of you who whine about Joker battling Bats on even terms physically, I refer you to his ORIGIN STORY, where he cold-cocks Batman, kicks him in the head, and pitches him into a handy river to drown. The Dark Knight himself comments on the fact that he has finally found someone who "can give him a fight." (Batman No. 1/2) The Clown Prince of Crime follows up on this by besting Batman in a sword-fight (Batman No. 2/1) This is just one example of the show's creators going back to basics. As for the designs, some, like the Joker's, can be annoying, other's, like the Riddler's (hey, if Bob Kane can cop Conrad Veidt (g)...) have a certain fun inspiration to them. Alfred is shown to have deductive skills like his comic-book counterpart and the decision to make Batman a true vigilante in the first 2 seasons adds an extra level of challenge to his confrontations with both the bad guys and the law. All in all, it's not a bad effort. If you really want to remind yourself of PUTRED efforts at realizing the mythos, just rent the serials and BATMAN AND ROBIN and really enjoy some "fine" entertainment.

Black and White Dark Knight

Author: Farthingale from South Africa
17 January 2007

My biggest problem with The Batman is not the Jackie Chan flashbacks, or the I'm-So-Frikken-Contemporary soundtrack... it's what has been done to the franchise's most effective element: its villains.

One need not go into the global outrage at the 'new and improved' Joker. Anyone who's read the comics will most likely just blanket Monkeyfist-in-drag from their minds, or (like I do) imagine him to be a terrible poseur, who slipped onto the scene while the real Mr J was out of town.

But look at the other villains, if you will, and observe every streak of humanity being burnt from them. Remember the pathos you felt for poor Manbat? Doomed by his ambitions? And Doctor Freeze, fighting a losing battle against his wife's mortality? Or the Penguin, self-consciously 'freaky' and trying to compensate with shows of overwrought grandeur? Or Pamela Isley, so concerned for the environment that she became a plant herself? Well worry no longer, regular people! Your villains are now completely two dimensional stereotypes, who you have no danger of relating to, and are also not likely to start following as an endearing anti-hero! Manbat was especially effective as an out-and-out lunatic monster, who pretended to have family ties just to throw Proto-Batsy off the scent! Yes, friends. Worry no longer. You're safe from shades of grey in The Batman.

"The" Batman? *raised eyebrow*

Author: omni_omega_64 from United States
20 November 2005

NOTE:

First of all, I better clarify a few things. I like Batman. I loved the original Animated Series. I am not biasing towards the original show alone, but for everything that the Batman name stands for. I know this isn't the original animated series and that it is a remake so I will do my best to try to deviate all judgment from the original and will try to keep focus on the new.

I can honestly say that I was very excited as I waited for the premier of the show when it first came out. After the 30 minutes was over, I was trying my damnedest to try to comprehend what I have just seen. Then for a while I feel into denial. But now after 2 and half Seasons, I think I have seen enough for now to make some decent comments.

Tooooooo much action! Where did the Masked Detective part of Batman go off too? What happened to good old fashion sleuthing and clues and puzzles? Obiviously into hiding cause it seems like everyone on the show is just a fighter and not too much brain power is used. I just don't feel there is really much a mental development going on here. It always seems to be Batman Versus *insert random villain here* with little substance and small, dumded down twists.

Okay, I know this new Joker isn't Mark Hamill, but this new rendention of the Joker is too far from the what Joker is supposed to be. The Joker is supposed to be witty, extremely smart, artsy, and at the same time an absolute homicidal psychopath, but it is all coming out wrong with this one. This new Joker is too wild and loony for my taste. His gimmicks are about as senseless and cheap as his jokes. Worse of all, he is annoying. REALLY annoying. Its an interesting character, I must admit, but as the Joker, this is not him. This character belongs somewhere else, but not as what is supposed to be Batman's greatest nemesis.

With Batgirl coming in as a kid (an interesting and actually very well played out device) I wonder what will be of Robin? The Batwave really annoys me. Its too much of a convenient tool for Batman. When is that Commissioner Gordon gonna install that thing called a Bat Signal? You know, that big search light with the Batman logo on it. That thing that has been in the comics way before I was even born...

Can someone please tell me why the Batmobiles look like the belong in a Hot Wheels Racer set than in the Batcave? Now as the season continues, I think things are getting somewhat better, but i can't help but feel as if Batman, Catwoman, and Batgirl seem to mirror Jackie Chan, Viper, and Jade from the Jackie Chan animated series. Seriously, if you saw the last episode this past Saturday, you'd know what I mean....

And those are my major comments concerning the Batman. More too come as things progress.

Lighten Up Guys

Author: MastaHaru from United States
23 February 2005

OK, so it's not Batman: TAS. What is? The creators are trying to do something different and I think they've succeeded admirably. I personally love the updated versions of the Joker and Penguin. Who's to say they can't be physically tough? I for one am sick of the Joker and Penguin either giving up or being taken out with one punch after Batman beats their traps/goons. A true villain should be able to match Batman mentally AND physically, which is what the shows creators have set out to do. Yes, their have been changes, but there were much more offensive changes in the first movie (Batman kills) that no one complained about. This is simply another vision of Batman, it makes no pretensions of being the definitive one. That being the case, I think you should accept it for what it is, a well put together show that gives Batman a welcome breath of fresh air and gets rid of some fairly ridiculous conventions surrounding his villains.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]