IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Better than expected

Author: Mars Ares from Hell's Kitchen
3 May 2007

okay, so i haven't watched most of the Batman 1990's series. I've watched the movies, and the original series, the one with all the 'Wham! Bam! Shazam!' stuff. And in all honesty, i think this is the better one of all. Why do i say so ?? Mostly because the characters designs look better here than they ever did in the comics and series. Take the joker for example. In the old series, after a few minutes of analysis (for none batman fans), it was obvious that he was kinda crazy. But in this one, it takes it to another level. His looks, his style of speech, the way he dresses, etc..all make him look even crazier than most of the other series have portrayed him. Same goes for The Riddler. For those of you who don't know, he has a disorder of some sort. Obsessive compulsive disorder i think. And in this series, its shown a bit more than in the others, with his 'goth look', and his more cryptic voice. This version of the Batmobile is even better than most of the others as well. Instead of having that 'tank-like' look that the other versions had, this one has that 'extra high-tech, but still a car' look. Its like its sleek, but still an awesome weapon.

Sure, its a kids show. But don't let that stop you from watching the series. Its very good, the artwork is flawless, the animation is even better. I think you should give it a try before just saying 'Jackie Chan art style ? Bah'

Saw one episode and LOVED it!

Author: Ian Bourne (ian.bourne@gmail.com) from Barbados, Caribbean
10 May 2005

I recognise the same team from "Jacky Chan Adventures," and saw it had potential... I also keyed in on Adam West's voice immediately! I like the homage touch there.

Firefly is a good new villain for him to take on, and I forgot until this series that Bruce was thought of as a male Paris Hilton.

This was a good episode where Bruce learned more on responsibility - I think this series has potential, to show how Bruce has real gadgetry, his hand to hand skills and it not being easy not only being Batman but changing the "party-boy" image...

Yes, appearing as a playboy detracts suspicion but it also causes people whose influence he needs to dismiss him out of hand unnecessarily.

The main lesson for Bruce and Bats here (if he ever really learns, he is so intense and extreme) is? B A L A N C E ! ! !

Best Batman Cartoon EVER

Author: vooduhu from Canada
17 January 2009

I've been a Batman fan my whole life and always enjoy another take on the life and times of the dark knight.

Although the Batman animated series was alright, I never really like the whole OLD look at feel of the show that much. Kinda bored me.

This Batman series has better music, style and action and art then any other batman ever.

OOh Booo Hoo you nerds don't like the way someone else did it. Well thats your opinion. I LUV IT. I can watch any re-run of this series over and over and never get bored. Hell i hope they one day make a TV series with live actors with this same style.

This is the BEST BATMAN SERIES ever, sad to see it go.

This is not batman...

Author: xindi005 from United States
6 August 2005

There are so many areas to start on this "new" Batman series that I can't really know where to begin. All that I can say is that it really bites a real big sinking rock.

For instance, the opening score, though stylish and cool(in a way), just doesn't fit the fare as the dark knight theme. I think they were trying to make it hipper for the MTV/reality TV generation and well,...it didn't work. This score should be on some live-action movie,not an American anime about Batman(Danny Elfman/Shirley Walker music it is not).

Secondly, the artwork. Come on people, though Jackie Chan Adventures is a good series, the artwork needs work and it doesn't fit Batman very well. It looks too much like a bad comic book. The work done by Bruce Timm and company is much cooler than this crap.

Next, there is the story. Putting the cops and media against batman is too two-dimensional. One can't go real far with this, not to mention it's boring. The villains look like some bad dream of a bored teenager needing a hobby. Take the Joker; Mark Hamill rendition of this character made him very cool and gave a catchy laugh that even I try to emulate(don't succeed though). This version of Joker seems very corny and dull and the voice is annoying, not cool.

Now, I know some may think that I am being very critical about a show that just began, but I have seen so many shows in my short twenty-eight years( both the good and the bad) that I think that I can be critical about a show that really insults a cool icon like Batman. So get over it, will ya? Not that I am saying that people should not watch this show, I just think you should hear something from someone who has. Make your own decision about it.....I did.

Great Reimagination of the Batman

Author: Vishesh-galaxy
23 May 2015

The Batman is, in my opinion, an excellent take on the Batman that is fitting in the current age of tech. The Batwave, the hand-held Batwave transceiver, the Batmobile, the Batboat, and of course, the Batcave itself are really cool and original.

It may be hard for some to get accustomed to the new voice actors (it was for me), if you're used to the voices of the likes of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. However, given enough time, you'll not only like the new voices; but, also appreciate the way they fit their respective characters.

The artwork and styling of the show is not conventional and I found it a little jarring to begin with. Yet again, it finally grew upon me and I came to really like it by the middle of the second season.

Many of the villains have been re-imagined and are pretty different from what we are used to seeing from the comic books or previous animated iterations of the Dark Knight. I feel this re-imagining adds new life and opens up new and unexplored avenues that may have otherwise been missed if they carried on with the same character design for many decades. The way I like to see it is that each different iteration lies in a different universe, unless of course they are meant to be in the same universe. If you take the different shows in this way, you'll really appreciate the new flavors that they bring to the table.

It is fine for characters to be re-imagined in radically different ways because that is what makes these shows interesting. I feel that one should not put down a show just because it is not true to previous iterations. As long as the cores of the characters are preserved, it doesn't matter if the Penguin knows a bit of martial arts, or the Joker is loonier than usual and has some funky gadgets of his own. Just watch it with an open mind and don't compare it with anything else.

In a nutshell, I really enjoy watching the Batman and I like the way the characters have been re-imagined. The show, the stories and the characters themselves feel fresh and it is an excellent complement to BTAS (another show that I dearly love).

Severely underrated

Author: imaad-shahrukh from Bangladesh
19 April 2015

This series is a victim of being bashed by fans and critics due to not being like the predecessor. The Batman, aired originally from 2004 to 2008, is a series with ups and downs. People did not like the redesigns for the characters or the tone, but what's the problem. Unlike the live-action Gotham, which airs on FOX, this series keeps everyone in character, rather than changing them to a state similar to Goku from Dragonball Evolution or Deadpool from X-Men Origins Wolverine. The series may be light, but it gets darker as it reaches the 4th season. The series is still watchable. Batman is perfectly portrayed. Since it is set during Bruce Wayne's earlier years as Batman, it certainly makes sense why he gets his back broken by Bane in episode 2 and why he is new in knowing those villains. Of course, the predecessor may be better, but this series contains consistent animation and character development with Batman becoming more prepared to face his enemies and Joker becoming more monstrous as seen by the episode Joker Express. The series even uses obscure villains properly, by using them alongside classic villains, not like Beware the Batman where they shoved most of the good villains and replaced them with obscure ones. Batgirl before Robin is not bad is Batgirl is legitimately Batman's sidekick, not like Katana in Beware the Batman, who replaces Robin entirely. The series even had a good direct-to- video film follow-up, The Batman vs Dracula. This movie is to The Batman what Return of the Joker was to Batman Beyond and Mask of the Phantasm was to Batman the Animated Series, having a darker tone than the series. The lack of Two-Face, Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul was mainly due to Nolan movies, not to make the series child-friendly. And Gordon does appear from the third season and is just as well depicted, despite not being there from the start. Lucius Fox is also portrayed in a way reminiscent of the Nolan films. Enjoy it if you have an open mind.

A fresh take ....

Author: tmf084 from Austria
13 September 2014

It's a completely different Batman when you compare it to the one from the 90s animated series and the Justice League show. This show has a different take on the character and depicts a younger Bruce Wayne / Batman that still learning and fumbles from time to time. However it's less character driven and focuses more on the action itself so the new angle gets a bit lost or isn't as integral to the show as you might think. The animation itself was also updated, Batman himself didn't change much with the exception of his jawline. The Joker however got a complete make over, while his character remains pretty much the same. All other characters are pretty close to what you would expect, Alfred is probably more of a father figure, his humor is more direct and often not as subtle. Overall, I'd say if you like the animated Batman then it's definitely worth checking out.

Childhood

Author: ilypyak from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10 September 2014

This was the first Batman cartoon that i ever remembered as a kid, and it is what i compare to other versions. I remember the first time it aired, i was very excited to watch it, so much that i ran to the basement to try to find my batman shirt, but i could not find it :(. The first episode scared me a kid because i hated clowns, but Batman was more than awesome. The voices are the best, I have yet to find a cast like this since. It got a new generation of kids, including me to like Batman and i love him and DC. I have yet to read the other comments and i hope that they are as positive and not butt hurt because the came from Batman Beyond and such. They're issues but the good over ways the bad completely. Also the style of the drawings is the way super hero cartoons should look like. Thats why it's no surprise that I like Young Justice, Teen Titans and Jackie Chain's Adventures.

Brilliant iteration of Batman

Author: hartsock-951-388121 from Nottinghamshire, England
22 April 2013

There are minor spoilers in this review! 'The Batman' is a great iteration of the character. Many comparison's naturally are drawn to the phenomenal BTAS series of '92, which is quite unfair. BTAS had a double view of the story telling; children could watch and be entertained, but adults could watch and understand a compelling, human and dark story in which children would be totally oblivious to.

The 2004 series is purely a more child-based series. The stories are quite good and goofy. The design of all the villains is unique; they are very different majoritively to their comic book counterpart. Joker is THE main difference. He has a sort of Rastafarian appearance which is extremely strange, but it works for this universe. Penguin is quite young, but easily recogniseable. Scarecrow is massively different and less fear-elemented. Mr Freeze and Firefly are very modern takes on the characters and their designs and voice acting are great. Killer Croc looks much more like Lizard from Spiderman, but Ron Pearlman returns to his Batman voice acting duties switching from BTAS Clayface to The Batman Croc.

Batman himself, voiced by Rino Romano (Luis Sera from Resident Evil 4)is a great rendition of the character. The young, suave playboy millionaire with the handsome looks is played brilliant. He is also a great batman. He isn't as 'dark' as some would like, but there is the element of dark and mysterious which children would pick up. The Batmobile is superb, both designs from season 1-3 and 4-5.

Tim Drake and Barbara Gordon are great characters as Robin and Batgirl. I cant stand Justice league or any other DC character outside of the Batman universe but the episodes which does feature JLA (noticeably Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter and Superman) are actually quite entertaining.

Some stories are hit and miss, but there's some great stories such as the transformation of Bruce's best friend Ethan into Clayface thanks to the Joker, along with trying to rehabilitate him. A great episode featuring Green Arrow and a 3-way turf war between Riddler, Joker and Penguin in which whoever unmasks Batman first will control Gotham.

In the first two series there's a really nice element of Batman still not being recognised by the Police; they do pursue him and hunt him down, but he has an ally in Detective Yin after the transformation of Ethan Bennett. Commissioner Gordons voice will be instantly recogniseable to any sci-fi fans; Mitch Pileggi (Walter Skinner from The X-files/ Samuel Campbell from Supernatural).

Overall, the series is a great watch. Is it as good as BTAS? No, but then BTAS is arguably THE pinnacle interpretation of Batman. Highly recommend watching this series. Miles better than anything of the past 10 years.

it has some great episodes

Author: rumasuk from Ecuador
11 January 2013

this show isn't as memorable as the first one, but i don't see a vast difference between the writing in this show and the writing in the other DC animated shows. It really has some great great moments. I would say that its just not as legendary as other shows except for moments like when batman uses the green lantern ring or when the joker riddler and penguin decide to bet the city on who kills batman first, but the episode "Artifacts" is a must see for any batfan, is incredible, is one of the best animated love letters to the character and the bat community. the 2 episodes with superman are good too. most of the series get a 7, but the episode artifacts gets a 10 for me

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]