IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

It's Different So Give It A Chance

Author: ARTaylor from United States
13 March 2006

I've read a lot of criticism and they all say the same thing "It's not the Animated Series with Kevin Conroy." Of course not. And they're not trying to be. This show is a response to Batman Begins just as the original cartoon was a response to Tim Burton's Batman. It's trying to take a different spin on the classic idol. If it did try to copy the original cartoon people would only complain that it is coping it. Joker could never do what Jack Nicholson or Mark Hamill did because they did too good of a job being the Joker. Everything on the show is trying to do something different and unique. Something we haven't seen before. Whenever someone does another version of something we already know you just have to let go and accept it for what it is. Batman Begins restarted the Batman movies and The Batman restarted the Batman cartoons.

The problem I saw with the original series is that it just ended. It was a great show but it just got absorbed by all these other shows. I loved Batman, his allies, and his enemies but I want to see just them. Justice League is a good show but Batman is just a co-star. I want to see what happens to just Batman. Teen Titans is fun to watch but Robin is just too good. I want to see Robin be Batman's sidekick and mess up as he's supposed to do. Batman Beyond was great but it showed the end of everyone. I want to see the battles of Batman and the villains not the end (I mean they showed how Joker and Mr. Freeze died and why Robin and Batgirl quit). It's refreshing to see a show focusing on just Batman and how he began. It's a little different but you can't always show the same thing all over again.

I like this show. The animation looks good. The stories are interesting. I like how not all the gadgets work right and Batman doesn't always know what to do. It shows that he's still learning. That he wasn't always the great hero who did it all. He made mistakes and learned from them. It's nice to see him learn how to do it all. Alfred stills has to help Bruce along. He's still learning to deal with Bruce's nightlife himself. The police haven't learned to trust him yet. It's not the "everyone is fine with Batman" that the original series became or what Justice League is. It gives it a better sense of reality that not everyone trusts him right off the bat (no pun intended).

Now I do have my complaints. I don't like Mr. Freeze's far less sympathetic beginnings. He's more of a common thug than a scientist gone bad. Bruce's friend became Clayface and instead of trying to get help he's out for revenge. Then he became pure evil with no chance of help. Too many episodes with Joker and Penguin and not enough of the other classic villains. Instead of having Bane come back Joker just took his technology. Commissioner Gordon just appeared after never being seen. Once they introduced Batgirl they focused a lot less on Bruce and Alfred and more on her. But the show is still good regardless.

Die hard Batman fans can complain all they want but really only the comics will have the comic's stories. No show or movie will have those stories exactly. Something will get lost or replaced at some point no matter how hard you try. I can see a lot of new fans being introduced thanks to this show. If it wasn't for the original cartoon I never would have been into Batman. And I'm sure many youngsters will have the same thing to say about this show. It's light enough so children can watch it. But still dark enough so fans can enjoy it too. Batman is still pretty dark and mysterious but not dark enough to scare kids. So on Saturday mornings just sit back on the couch, flip on The Batman, and relax. It's a good show for everyone to enjoy if you just give it the chance.

8/10 A good show that has some room for improvement.

The Batman is just as good as the animated series!

Author: jackups-1 from United Kingdom
24 February 2006

The new Batman cartoon ,is just as good perhaps better,than the animated series of late! The art is excellent and the character design is wonderful introducing a new bat-fans and exciting the old ones! The new series no longer has the dull mixed sprockets from the Batamn the animated series.The backgrounds of Gotham increase the dynamic and interesting story lines with the storys being enjoyed by the likes of Paul Din the writer of the animated series!The Batmn franchise has risen dramaticlly because of this superb show>

A fine addition to you DVD collection,as the viewings of the first season was triple the entire series of the animates show !

"The" Batman? *raised eyebrow*

Author: omni_omega_64 from United States
20 November 2005

NOTE:

First of all, I better clarify a few things. I like Batman. I loved the original Animated Series. I am not biasing towards the original show alone, but for everything that the Batman name stands for. I know this isn't the original animated series and that it is a remake so I will do my best to try to deviate all judgment from the original and will try to keep focus on the new.

I can honestly say that I was very excited as I waited for the premier of the show when it first came out. After the 30 minutes was over, I was trying my damnedest to try to comprehend what I have just seen. Then for a while I feel into denial. But now after 2 and half Seasons, I think I have seen enough for now to make some decent comments.

Tooooooo much action! Where did the Masked Detective part of Batman go off too? What happened to good old fashion sleuthing and clues and puzzles? Obiviously into hiding cause it seems like everyone on the show is just a fighter and not too much brain power is used. I just don't feel there is really much a mental development going on here. It always seems to be Batman Versus *insert random villain here* with little substance and small, dumded down twists.

Okay, I know this new Joker isn't Mark Hamill, but this new rendention of the Joker is too far from the what Joker is supposed to be. The Joker is supposed to be witty, extremely smart, artsy, and at the same time an absolute homicidal psychopath, but it is all coming out wrong with this one. This new Joker is too wild and loony for my taste. His gimmicks are about as senseless and cheap as his jokes. Worse of all, he is annoying. REALLY annoying. Its an interesting character, I must admit, but as the Joker, this is not him. This character belongs somewhere else, but not as what is supposed to be Batman's greatest nemesis.

With Batgirl coming in as a kid (an interesting and actually very well played out device) I wonder what will be of Robin? The Batwave really annoys me. Its too much of a convenient tool for Batman. When is that Commissioner Gordon gonna install that thing called a Bat Signal? You know, that big search light with the Batman logo on it. That thing that has been in the comics way before I was even born...

Can someone please tell me why the Batmobiles look like the belong in a Hot Wheels Racer set than in the Batcave? Now as the season continues, I think things are getting somewhat better, but i can't help but feel as if Batman, Catwoman, and Batgirl seem to mirror Jackie Chan, Viper, and Jade from the Jackie Chan animated series. Seriously, if you saw the last episode this past Saturday, you'd know what I mean....

And those are my major comments concerning the Batman. More too come as things progress.

Saw one episode and LOVED it!

Author: Ian Bourne (ian.bourne@gmail.com) from Barbados, Caribbean
10 May 2005

I recognise the same team from "Jacky Chan Adventures," and saw it had potential... I also keyed in on Adam West's voice immediately! I like the homage touch there.

Firefly is a good new villain for him to take on, and I forgot until this series that Bruce was thought of as a male Paris Hilton.

This was a good episode where Bruce learned more on responsibility - I think this series has potential, to show how Bruce has real gadgetry, his hand to hand skills and it not being easy not only being Batman but changing the "party-boy" image...

Yes, appearing as a playboy detracts suspicion but it also causes people whose influence he needs to dismiss him out of hand unnecessarily.

The main lesson for Bruce and Bats here (if he ever really learns, he is so intense and extreme) is? B A L A N C E ! ! !

Best Batman Cartoon EVER

Author: vooduhu from Canada
17 January 2009

I've been a Batman fan my whole life and always enjoy another take on the life and times of the dark knight.

Although the Batman animated series was alright, I never really like the whole OLD look at feel of the show that much. Kinda bored me.

This Batman series has better music, style and action and art then any other batman ever.

OOh Booo Hoo you nerds don't like the way someone else did it. Well thats your opinion. I LUV IT. I can watch any re-run of this series over and over and never get bored. Hell i hope they one day make a TV series with live actors with this same style.

This is the BEST BATMAN SERIES ever, sad to see it go.

Lighten Up Guys

Author: MastaHaru from United States
23 February 2005

OK, so it's not Batman: TAS. What is? The creators are trying to do something different and I think they've succeeded admirably. I personally love the updated versions of the Joker and Penguin. Who's to say they can't be physically tough? I for one am sick of the Joker and Penguin either giving up or being taken out with one punch after Batman beats their traps/goons. A true villain should be able to match Batman mentally AND physically, which is what the shows creators have set out to do. Yes, their have been changes, but there were much more offensive changes in the first movie (Batman kills) that no one complained about. This is simply another vision of Batman, it makes no pretensions of being the definitive one. That being the case, I think you should accept it for what it is, a well put together show that gives Batman a welcome breath of fresh air and gets rid of some fairly ridiculous conventions surrounding his villains.

Great if you like this Joker. I didn't

Author: Billy Lee from Canada
6 December 2014

Since the Joker is in this a lot, you have to like this interpretation if you're going to recommend this series. I cannot. I respect the guts it took to do what they did with many of characters and all their redesigning. But they went too far with some, namely, the Joker, the Riddler, and every character with a seemingly swollen, broken, block nose. Can't get behind Catwoman's floppy turtle-neck and giant ears neither. But the Joker takes the cake, and should've been given a different name - as this is a great departure from anything we've seen; a different essence completely.

If you can get past the characterization, and look at the writing and art, love the art, so-so about the writing.

Love how they try to keep it dark and spooky. The animation is top notch. So is the background art. This series has a lot to offer; Including a heaping of confusion, as to whether or not you approve of it. It had the meat to last 5 seasons. It's a toughie.

A fresh take ....

Author: tmf084 from Austria
13 September 2014

It's a completely different Batman when you compare it to the one from the 90s animated series and the Justice League show. This show has a different take on the character and depicts a younger Bruce Wayne / Batman that still learning and fumbles from time to time. However it's less character driven and focuses more on the action itself so the new angle gets a bit lost or isn't as integral to the show as you might think. The animation itself was also updated, Batman himself didn't change much with the exception of his jawline. The Joker however got a complete make over, while his character remains pretty much the same. All other characters are pretty close to what you would expect, Alfred is probably more of a father figure, his humor is more direct and often not as subtle. Overall, I'd say if you like the animated Batman then it's definitely worth checking out.

Childhood

Author: ilypyak from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10 September 2014

This was the first Batman cartoon that i ever remembered as a kid, and it is what i compare to other versions. I remember the first time it aired, i was very excited to watch it, so much that i ran to the basement to try to find my batman shirt, but i could not find it :(. The first episode scared me a kid because i hated clowns, but Batman was more than awesome. The voices are the best, I have yet to find a cast like this since. It got a new generation of kids, including me to like Batman and i love him and DC. I have yet to read the other comments and i hope that they are as positive and not butt hurt because the came from Batman Beyond and such. They're issues but the good over ways the bad completely. Also the style of the drawings is the way super hero cartoons should look like. Thats why it's no surprise that I like Young Justice, Teen Titans and Jackie Chain's Adventures.

Putting the Dark Knight back into the Dark of Night.

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
31 May 2014

AS FAR AS adaptations of Super Heroes from the Comics to the screen is concerned, no one is more severe a critic than are we. Any deviation from long established comics "facts" are looked upon as being unacceptable. (Death to the Revisionists!)

FOR EXAMPLE, TAKE the treatment of the Joker in both BATMAN (1989) and in THE DARK KNIGHT (2008). In the first Michael Keaton outing, what would have been an ideal treatment of the character, was turned into a heretical foray into the realm of the untrue.

THEIR HANDDLING OF the character went haywire with the deviant storyline in which Jack Napier,* the Joker, was the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents. Forb good measure, they had the Joker dead at film's end.

THE PRODUCTION COMPANY that gave us the DARK KNIOGHT was no better; turning the Joker into some sort of grimy, grubby and commonplace psychotic killer. And, if this wasn't enough, for good measure they also killed him at this end, also. It seems that Joker is the Batman Franchise's answer to that kid on SOUTH PARK; who dies in every episode. (But we digress!)

WE FIND THAT this animated TV series, THE BATMAN (2004-08) is the finest example of making comics panels come to life and move, talk, interact; that is for television. It's inherent craftsmanship is deep, extending to all aspects. The rendering of the dark panel look and mood combine with a high level of animation that makes it a serious rival to the Max Fleischer produced SUPERMAN Cartoon Series of the 1940's. (No small feat that!)

ONCE AGAIN, THE careful attention to making the night the element of operation that Batman thrived in. This is one aspect of the feature that had been largely abandoned in the comics; forgetting that in the early days, Batman owed an ancestral debt to the pulp & radio character, THE SHADOW.

IN MAKING GOOD use of the extensive roster of characters accumulated over the years, the production company assured the series of conforming with the comics storyline. Prominently featured also were Dick Grayson/Robin, Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, Commissioner Gordon and Alfred the Butler.

A LARGE NUMBER OF voice actors were used in bringing life to the multitude of master criminals; who provided the wrong doings in Gotham. Why, the producers even had an under-appreciated, though highly talented actor cast as Gotham City's Mayor. (Who is he? Why he's none other than ADAM WEST!)

NOTE: * We commend the production team for the story; which combined elements of the very first Joker story in the comics as well as the later story of Joker's origin. They even gave the character something he hadn't had before, a REAL NAME!

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]