IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

I liked the series.

Author: Dyonus from TX
10 May 2008

I'm 23 and I grew up on Batman: TAS, but I have to say: I really like The Batman. I was sad when I heard Season 5 was its last. First off, I think each series of Batman should be judged without thought of its predecessor. It isn't meant to be a copy of it, but an adaption of the comic.

With that in mind, my only real complaint is The Joker, but after the first couple appearances, I started to like him and saw him as a different character from the one in TAS or even his comic counterpart. I didn't really think of him as The Joker as much and it made it easier to like him, I thought.

The animation isn't great, but it affords a faster paced series with really nice fighting. This and Spectacular Spider-man have some of the best action sequences I've seen in an American cartoon. And I know action isn't everything, but it's pretty important when it comes to superheroes. A nice fight sets off a story quite well, especially in the superhero genre and The Batman does that nicely, so the animation is easy to forgive because it means better fight scenes.

The writing created a freak of the week setting, but it's nothing new in this genre and it handled other villains nicely. Mr. Freeze, while great with the tragic backstory, goes back to his Bob Kane roots in that he's just a criminal who freezes things. It was actually TAS that implemented that idea.

The Riddler wasn't bad. Freddy Kreuger (can't remember the actor's name) did a nice job with him, but I didn't really like the long hair look. This Riddler would be my second favorite version of him. (First being TAS version.) Penguin was his annoying self. Clayface added depth to the show in that he was a bad guy who was conflicted. He's a tragic villain.

I could go on, but my whole point is that the show is a lot better if you aren't always trying to compare it to other Batman versions. I know you are supposed to do that with an adaption, but it is its own show. Please treat it as such.

First season--7/10, Second season 9/10 (watched the episode with the Riddler several times because it's the best episode of the series, in my opinion), Third season --9/10 (I like this version of Batgirl the best, except for Cassandra Cain's in the comic) Fourth--9/10, Fifth 7/10--(Wasn't crazy about JLA added to it.) On last thing: Rino Romano did an excellent job as Batman. His voice isn't deep and dark like Kevin Conroy's, but it did give the youthfulness that the series demanded. I've really only know three actors to pull of Batman AND Bruce Wayne (rather than one or the other) and Romano is one of them. (Conroy and Bale being the other two.) Good series, I'm sad that it ended so soon. I looked forward to it every Saturday Morning and bought the DVDs so I could watch it when I wanted. Well worth the money.

8 out of 10 stars overall.

Awesome, Original, and Smart.

Author: ja_09 from Canada
21 January 2008

When I first heard that a new batman series was starting, like most people i was a little hesitant, but over the holidays i receive all the seasons on DVD as people know i'm a huge Batman fan. After watching them all i wanted more. The stories are written very well and at most times there unpredictable and you are really left wondering how the problem could possibly be resolved. I feel that they did Bruce Wayne and batman quite well and he has some decent one liners. Robin and Batgirl though young are fun to watch and listen to as well. Some of the new villains are cool or the changes that they've made to old ones i.e freeze, bane, and joker to name a few. Most of them are welcomed though i like most people i've talked to i just don't like the look of the joker, though his voice is great. The fighting shown in this cartoon is also great and i love some of the things that the developers have come up with for Batman to do and i really hope that this show can go on for a long time as i enjopy it and love the writing behind the stories. In the end i'm still in love with The animated series of Batman, but this new Batman has not come unwelcomed in my books. For those hesitant to watch it or for those who already have i say give it a chance, you'll be surprised. ( especially season 4) There are some great episode there.

Say what you want... This Batman is Cool!

Author: ssobotka33616 from United States
11 June 2005

Okay, I've heard enough about how 'This Batman sucks!' and 'It's an insult to true Batfans1'...

I've been a fan of Batman since he first appeared in comics all those years ago, and have watched his transition and continual transformations over the years (from campy to Golden Age to grim-and-brooding and beyond) and I can say that many were good, a few were a disappointment to me.

However, The Batman is a fresh new look, and an interesting twist on the original Batman premise. The characters are different -- note, that isn't necessarily bad! -- and it's a nice touch to see the villains able to fight back for a change, rather than get popped off with just one punch.

I say, give this new Batman a chance. I think if you take a closer look, you'll find it's not as bad as it may seem.

Better than expected

Author: Mars Ares from Hell's Kitchen
3 May 2007

okay, so i haven't watched most of the Batman 1990's series. I've watched the movies, and the original series, the one with all the 'Wham! Bam! Shazam!' stuff. And in all honesty, i think this is the better one of all. Why do i say so ?? Mostly because the characters designs look better here than they ever did in the comics and series. Take the joker for example. In the old series, after a few minutes of analysis (for none batman fans), it was obvious that he was kinda crazy. But in this one, it takes it to another level. His looks, his style of speech, the way he dresses, etc..all make him look even crazier than most of the other series have portrayed him. Same goes for The Riddler. For those of you who don't know, he has a disorder of some sort. Obsessive compulsive disorder i think. And in this series, its shown a bit more than in the others, with his 'goth look', and his more cryptic voice. This version of the Batmobile is even better than most of the others as well. Instead of having that 'tank-like' look that the other versions had, this one has that 'extra high-tech, but still a car' look. Its like its sleek, but still an awesome weapon.

Sure, its a kids show. But don't let that stop you from watching the series. Its very good, the artwork is flawless, the animation is even better. I think you should give it a try before just saying 'Jackie Chan art style ? Bah'

Saw one episode and LOVED it!

Author: Ian Bourne (ian.bourne@gmail.com) from Barbados, Caribbean
10 May 2005

I recognise the same team from "Jacky Chan Adventures," and saw it had potential... I also keyed in on Adam West's voice immediately! I like the homage touch there.

Firefly is a good new villain for him to take on, and I forgot until this series that Bruce was thought of as a male Paris Hilton.

This was a good episode where Bruce learned more on responsibility - I think this series has potential, to show how Bruce has real gadgetry, his hand to hand skills and it not being easy not only being Batman but changing the "party-boy" image...

Yes, appearing as a playboy detracts suspicion but it also causes people whose influence he needs to dismiss him out of hand unnecessarily.

The main lesson for Bruce and Bats here (if he ever really learns, he is so intense and extreme) is? B A L A N C E ! ! !

This is not batman...

Author: xindi005 from United States
6 August 2005

There are so many areas to start on this "new" Batman series that I can't really know where to begin. All that I can say is that it really bites a real big sinking rock.

For instance, the opening score, though stylish and cool(in a way), just doesn't fit the fare as the dark knight theme. I think they were trying to make it hipper for the MTV/reality TV generation and well,...it didn't work. This score should be on some live-action movie,not an American anime about Batman(Danny Elfman/Shirley Walker music it is not).

Secondly, the artwork. Come on people, though Jackie Chan Adventures is a good series, the artwork needs work and it doesn't fit Batman very well. It looks too much like a bad comic book. The work done by Bruce Timm and company is much cooler than this crap.

Next, there is the story. Putting the cops and media against batman is too two-dimensional. One can't go real far with this, not to mention it's boring. The villains look like some bad dream of a bored teenager needing a hobby. Take the Joker; Mark Hamill rendition of this character made him very cool and gave a catchy laugh that even I try to emulate(don't succeed though). This version of Joker seems very corny and dull and the voice is annoying, not cool.

Now, I know some may think that I am being very critical about a show that just began, but I have seen so many shows in my short twenty-eight years( both the good and the bad) that I think that I can be critical about a show that really insults a cool icon like Batman. So get over it, will ya? Not that I am saying that people should not watch this show, I just think you should hear something from someone who has. Make your own decision about it.....I did.

Awesome

Author: Ethan K from United States
29 May 2016

So I e recently started re-watching The Batman. I watched quite a bit of it when I was you're, when it was coming out back in 2004 or 2006 I think. I'm not surprised it ran for 5 seasons, and won an Emmy. This is probably one of my favorite animated Batman show. From the animation to the "unique" character designs. Let's start with The Joker. Sure, I'll laugh when people say he looks like a Jamaican hipster, and I can't argue, but I still think he looks really cool. I like the longer hair and the fingerless gloves, and the bare feet. Sure, The Joker being acrobatic, jumping around everywhere is a little odd, but I got used to it and I can't mention Joker without mentioning the guy who voices him. Great job, dude. Forget his. And, but I like this joker voice better than Mark Hammil's. The Riddler was the only character who looked weird to me, but other than that, it's a great series and I highly recommend it! Great theme song, great animation, great world-building, great characters/ character designs, great everything!!!

Great Reimagination of the Batman

Author: Vishesh-galaxy
23 May 2015

The Batman is, in my opinion, an excellent take on the Batman that is fitting in the current age of tech. The Batwave, the hand-held Batwave transceiver, the Batmobile, the Batboat, and of course, the Batcave itself are really cool and original.

It may be hard for some to get accustomed to the new voice actors (it was for me), if you're used to the voices of the likes of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. However, given enough time, you'll not only like the new voices; but, also appreciate the way they fit their respective characters.

The artwork and styling of the show is not conventional and I found it a little jarring to begin with. Yet again, it finally grew upon me and I came to really like it by the middle of the second season.

Many of the villains have been re-imagined and are pretty different from what we are used to seeing from the comic books or previous animated iterations of the Dark Knight. I feel this re-imagining adds new life and opens up new and unexplored avenues that may have otherwise been missed if they carried on with the same character design for many decades. The way I like to see it is that each different iteration lies in a different universe, unless of course they are meant to be in the same universe. If you take the different shows in this way, you'll really appreciate the new flavors that they bring to the table.

It is fine for characters to be re-imagined in radically different ways because that is what makes these shows interesting. I feel that one should not put down a show just because it is not true to previous iterations. As long as the cores of the characters are preserved, it doesn't matter if the Penguin knows a bit of martial arts, or the Joker is loonier than usual and has some funky gadgets of his own. Just watch it with an open mind and don't compare it with anything else.

In a nutshell, I really enjoy watching the Batman and I like the way the characters have been re-imagined. The show, the stories and the characters themselves feel fresh and it is an excellent complement to BTAS (another show that I dearly love).

Severely underrated

Author: imaad-shahrukh from Bangladesh
19 April 2015

This series is a victim of being bashed by fans and critics due to not being like the predecessor. The Batman, aired originally from 2004 to 2008, is a series with ups and downs. People did not like the redesigns for the characters or the tone, but what's the problem. Unlike the live-action Gotham, which airs on FOX, this series keeps everyone in character, rather than changing them to a state similar to Goku from Dragonball Evolution or Deadpool from X-Men Origins Wolverine. The series may be light, but it gets darker as it reaches the 4th season. The series is still watchable. Batman is perfectly portrayed. Since it is set during Bruce Wayne's earlier years as Batman, it certainly makes sense why he gets his back broken by Bane in episode 2 and why he is new in knowing those villains. Of course, the predecessor may be better, but this series contains consistent animation and character development with Batman becoming more prepared to face his enemies and Joker becoming more monstrous as seen by the episode Joker Express. The series even uses obscure villains properly, by using them alongside classic villains, not like Beware the Batman where they shoved most of the good villains and replaced them with obscure ones. Batgirl before Robin is not bad is Batgirl is legitimately Batman's sidekick, not like Katana in Beware the Batman, who replaces Robin entirely. The series even had a good direct-to- video film follow-up, The Batman vs Dracula. This movie is to The Batman what Return of the Joker was to Batman Beyond and Mask of the Phantasm was to Batman the Animated Series, having a darker tone than the series. The lack of Two-Face, Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul was mainly due to Nolan movies, not to make the series child-friendly. And Gordon does appear from the third season and is just as well depicted, despite not being there from the start. Lucius Fox is also portrayed in a way reminiscent of the Nolan films. Enjoy it if you have an open mind.

Great if you like this Joker. I didn't

Author: Billy Lee from Canada
6 December 2014

Since the Joker is in this a lot, you have to like this interpretation if you're going to recommend this series. I cannot. I respect the guts it took to do what they did with many of characters and all their redesigning. But they went too far with some, namely, the Joker, the Riddler, and every character with a seemingly swollen, broken, block nose. Can't get behind Catwoman's floppy turtle-neck and giant ears neither. But the Joker takes the cake, and should've been given a different name - as this is a great departure from anything we've seen; a different essence completely.

If you can get past the characterization, and look at the writing and art, love the art, so-so about the writing.

Love how they try to keep it dark and spooky. The animation is top notch. So is the background art. This series has a lot to offer; Including a heaping of confusion, as to whether or not you approve of it. It had the meat to last 5 seasons. It's a toughie.

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]