IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Started OK, got better, got worse, and then got pretty good...

Author: CaptainAstro
21 December 2006

It's been an interesting run for this series.

In the 1st season, there were maybe 3 or 4 really good episodes, a few that were OK, and a few that were just terrible. The second season did a little better about not being bad. Then, in the 3rd season, they introduced Batgirl. Incidentally, the show started to get really bad. Save for the "Criminal Mastermind" episode, the season was filled with disappointment.

Then, at the beginning of the 4th season, they introduced Robin. My initial reaction was "considering how bad the show got when they brought in Batgirl, the introduction of Robin couldn't be good. But it was. The show started to pick up, and has become much more promising and watchable.

What I said about the show when it started, and I maintain I was right, was that the show needed a while to really settle into it's stride. If you watch the beginning episodes for "Batman: The Animated Series," Batman and Joker start out with a slightly more playful relationship, and Batman isn't nearly as dark. This show did take a while, but it seems to have gotten to a point where they can entertain people who are old enough to remember the first show.

The show is really intentionally different from any other incarnations of the characters, as obviously evidenced by the Joker redesign. I thought that making the Joker the version they did was such a bold statement, and the character still works.

The show is so different, that a lot of die-hard fans will be disappointed. But the show has gotten better, and is less of a guilty pleasure for me to watch now.

7 out of 10. Shaky start, but on more solid ground.

P.S. For all my tolerance of the extreme character redesigns, I will never be okay with the Mr. Freeze they settled on. Clancy Brown can't save it, it's just a stupid, poorly-written character with a pretty lame design.

Awesome

Author: Ethan K from United States
29 May 2016

So I e recently started re-watching The Batman. I watched quite a bit of it when I was you're, when it was coming out back in 2004 or 2006 I think. I'm not surprised it ran for 5 seasons, and won an Emmy. This is probably one of my favorite animated Batman show. From the animation to the "unique" character designs. Let's start with The Joker. Sure, I'll laugh when people say he looks like a Jamaican hipster, and I can't argue, but I still think he looks really cool. I like the longer hair and the fingerless gloves, and the bare feet. Sure, The Joker being acrobatic, jumping around everywhere is a little odd, but I got used to it and I can't mention Joker without mentioning the guy who voices him. Great job, dude. Forget his. And, but I like this joker voice better than Mark Hammil's. The Riddler was the only character who looked weird to me, but other than that, it's a great series and I highly recommend it! Great theme song, great animation, great world-building, great characters/ character designs, great everything!!!

Overhated by Nostailgic Fanboys

Author: Jimmy Nutrin from United Kingdom
15 May 2016

I absolutely loved this year when it was on TV. It had great stories, great character design and just great everything. I will say that Batman's voice acting isn't the best compared to the Animated Series or Brave and the Bold, but it's decent. The main reason this show is hated is the same reason as the 2016 Powerpuff Girls and Teen Titans Go are hated: it isn't the same as the older viewers remember. In this case, they watched The Animated Series when they were younger and disliked this show as it was different from what they imagined. However, this is just speculation, as I do realise there are other reasons for hating it. It's a good 9/10 show that I personally enjoyed, and to me, that's all that matters.

Underrated.

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
19 December 2015

This show was so underrated and i hate it that they cancelled it it had so much potential and yes they did changed Joker which he looked more like a monkey to some people but what did you expect it was a Batman for a new generation and it was definitely better than Batman: The Brave and Bold and the stupid Beware the Batman TV show. The Batman even had a different actor to voice Bruce Wayne/ Batman which it's kinda wrong to me since we all know that the best actor for this job is and always will be Kevin Conroy a really amazing voice for the Dark Knight. Sure it has some flaws but it's also a great new take on the caped crusader and since i grew up with this show i will always love it.

Great if you like this Joker. I didn't

Author: Billy Lee from Canada
6 December 2014

Since the Joker is in this a lot, you have to like this interpretation if you're going to recommend this series. I cannot. I respect the guts it took to do what they did with many of characters and all their redesigning. But they went too far with some, namely, the Joker, the Riddler, and every character with a seemingly swollen, broken, block nose. Can't get behind Catwoman's floppy turtle-neck and giant ears neither. But the Joker takes the cake, and should've been given a different name - as this is a great departure from anything we've seen; a different essence completely.

If you can get past the characterization, and look at the writing and art, love the art, so-so about the writing.

Love how they try to keep it dark and spooky. The animation is top notch. So is the background art. This series has a lot to offer; Including a heaping of confusion, as to whether or not you approve of it. It had the meat to last 5 seasons. It's a toughie.

Putting the Dark Knight back into the Dark of Night.

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
31 May 2014

AS FAR AS adaptations of Super Heroes from the Comics to the screen is concerned, no one is more severe a critic than are we. Any deviation from long established comics "facts" are looked upon as being unacceptable. (Death to the Revisionists!)

FOR EXAMPLE, TAKE the treatment of the Joker in both BATMAN (1989) and in THE DARK KNIGHT (2008). In the first Michael Keaton outing, what would have been an ideal treatment of the character, was turned into a heretical foray into the realm of the untrue.

THEIR HANDDLING OF the character went haywire with the deviant storyline in which Jack Napier,* the Joker, was the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents. Forb good measure, they had the Joker dead at film's end.

THE PRODUCTION COMPANY that gave us the DARK KNIOGHT was no better; turning the Joker into some sort of grimy, grubby and commonplace psychotic killer. And, if this wasn't enough, for good measure they also killed him at this end, also. It seems that Joker is the Batman Franchise's answer to that kid on SOUTH PARK; who dies in every episode. (But we digress!)

WE FIND THAT this animated TV series, THE BATMAN (2004-08) is the finest example of making comics panels come to life and move, talk, interact; that is for television. It's inherent craftsmanship is deep, extending to all aspects. The rendering of the dark panel look and mood combine with a high level of animation that makes it a serious rival to the Max Fleischer produced SUPERMAN Cartoon Series of the 1940's. (No small feat that!)

ONCE AGAIN, THE careful attention to making the night the element of operation that Batman thrived in. This is one aspect of the feature that had been largely abandoned in the comics; forgetting that in the early days, Batman owed an ancestral debt to the pulp & radio character, THE SHADOW.

IN MAKING GOOD use of the extensive roster of characters accumulated over the years, the production company assured the series of conforming with the comics storyline. Prominently featured also were Dick Grayson/Robin, Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, Commissioner Gordon and Alfred the Butler.

A LARGE NUMBER OF voice actors were used in bringing life to the multitude of master criminals; who provided the wrong doings in Gotham. Why, the producers even had an under-appreciated, though highly talented actor cast as Gotham City's Mayor. (Who is he? Why he's none other than ADAM WEST!)

NOTE: * We commend the production team for the story; which combined elements of the very first Joker story in the comics as well as the later story of Joker's origin. They even gave the character something he hadn't had before, a REAL NAME!

I gotta say I like it.

Author: kalismandaniel from United States
27 December 2010

After reading all the negatives I had to pitch in with a yea vote. I have only watched seasons 3 and 2, (in that order) but I liked 3 and liked 2 even more. I am a casual fan of superhero comics. I don't know the whole history of the franchise. I don't know who wrote this or who voiced that or what forms all the past stories have taken. So I don't have strong opinions about what things should or shouldn't be done in a Batman show. Frankly, it seems rather silly that some people have such a 'holy relic' view of the issue. I think artists should do whatever they want as long as they do it well. These guys did what they did very well. The new takes on the characters are refreshing and exciting. I love the artwork. It has a fast pace that keeps my interest. And while the stories aren't as deep or adult as in BTAS, they aren't mindless or kiddy either. No Batman is ever going to live up to BTAS because it was just brilliant and one of a kind. Even the BTAS people couldn't keep up the quality through the whole run of the series. And personally, I feel that every series has gone downhill as soon as Batgirl came aboard, including this one. (Even Robin seems to herald the beginning of the end as far as I'm concerned.) But I would advise anyone just checking this out to forget all the graphic novels and forget BTAS and just enjoy this for what it is; a kids show that is much better than the average, and a fun new way to see Batman.

Great Show!

Author: Edward Nigma from United States
10 February 2006

I am a huge fan of Batman but, this is the best series I have ever seen! From all the new character designs and voice talents, this show is awesome. I understand a lot of people don't like having people toy around with the characters designs, but come on they still have the same personality. For instance Riddler is by far the best character I have seen, I have been a fan of all versions of the Riddler and I'm not complaining. Robert Englund did a great job on the character and the episodes plots were great as well. From Joker to the rest of the characters they are all great I recommend this show because if you liked BTAS you'll, love this too, if you give it a chance.

I LIKED IT... however...

Author: pumpkin78 from Denmark
13 June 2006

It takes one of the oldest, most established cartoon characters of all time, his city, his enemy's, even (as noted in one of the other comments here) his home and gives it a WHOLE new style... The animation is Definitely more Japanese anime than anything else (batman wise), but is that always a bad thing..?

The Joker is now more animalistic, motion wise but not IQ wise, and acrobatic (not to bad an idè if he's to hold a candle to a martial arts expert, which batman is, and he's always been mad as a bag of monkeys, so hey...)

HOWEVER!!!

Batman has lost his "darkness"... yes, the story is sett in his "early days", but still... wasn't that what we really liked about this hero..? his "mean streak"..? But then again: this is suppose to entertain the kids... isn't it..? not a bunch of grown ups on a nostalgia trip..? let the toddlers of today have a more... child friendly... batman, and then show them the Tim Burton classics...

TO CONCLUDE: in the past month, i've seen a lot of different batman shows and movies...

everything from the (good) movies to the shows from the -60's, the early -90's, the late -90's... hey, I even saw a couple of episodes from 1943, in GENUINE black and white... just how the one from the -60's managed to be worse than the "Batman hunting evil Jap's during WW II" is beyond me...

But this one ain't bad... not bad at all...

Different, yes... but not bad...

This is too good

Author: cvforbin from United States
19 April 2006

Sorry to disagree with you. I am a major animation fan. I have watched every iteration of Batman. And "The Batman" more than holds its own. If you noticed, every Batman has a different "look" to it. Although this one has the look of Jackie Chan. Jackie Chan it is not. The villains got chops. The redraw and fine tuning of the characters brings a totally deeper dimension to the fight between good and evil. Actually the fact that in all the other Batman's, the villains were always easy, kinda bothered me. In this new version, The super-villains, really are super villain. The gadgets, rock. Batman stays true; playboy who can't commit. And the movie, Batman vs. Dracula, is ridiculously good.

Watch it, you will definitely like it.

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]