IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

"Bring on The Baat....Maann..."

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
9 November 2008

This show isn't the most reliable comic source like the Batman Animated Series but this was developed to entertain the audience and introduce a new generation to Batman...And to cash in on the success of Batman Begins.

The show is colourful and bright with some good fight scenes; the audience is introduced to some new villains like Black Mask who has never made a television appearance until now and Dr.Hugo Strange, more memorable characters like Joker and Riddler are given a radical make over which keeps the show fresh and new. The only thing that is a little annoying is the character development, its too rushed and not all characters are explored and a lot of character origins are screwed up....I found the episode 'Grundy's Night' very interesting.

A show that you can watch in the afternoon or on a Saturday morning...

I liked the series.

Author: Dyonus from TX
10 May 2008

I'm 23 and I grew up on Batman: TAS, but I have to say: I really like The Batman. I was sad when I heard Season 5 was its last. First off, I think each series of Batman should be judged without thought of its predecessor. It isn't meant to be a copy of it, but an adaption of the comic.

With that in mind, my only real complaint is The Joker, but after the first couple appearances, I started to like him and saw him as a different character from the one in TAS or even his comic counterpart. I didn't really think of him as The Joker as much and it made it easier to like him, I thought.

The animation isn't great, but it affords a faster paced series with really nice fighting. This and Spectacular Spider-man have some of the best action sequences I've seen in an American cartoon. And I know action isn't everything, but it's pretty important when it comes to superheroes. A nice fight sets off a story quite well, especially in the superhero genre and The Batman does that nicely, so the animation is easy to forgive because it means better fight scenes.

The writing created a freak of the week setting, but it's nothing new in this genre and it handled other villains nicely. Mr. Freeze, while great with the tragic backstory, goes back to his Bob Kane roots in that he's just a criminal who freezes things. It was actually TAS that implemented that idea.

The Riddler wasn't bad. Freddy Kreuger (can't remember the actor's name) did a nice job with him, but I didn't really like the long hair look. This Riddler would be my second favorite version of him. (First being TAS version.) Penguin was his annoying self. Clayface added depth to the show in that he was a bad guy who was conflicted. He's a tragic villain.

I could go on, but my whole point is that the show is a lot better if you aren't always trying to compare it to other Batman versions. I know you are supposed to do that with an adaption, but it is its own show. Please treat it as such.

First season--7/10, Second season 9/10 (watched the episode with the Riddler several times because it's the best episode of the series, in my opinion), Third season --9/10 (I like this version of Batgirl the best, except for Cassandra Cain's in the comic) Fourth--9/10, Fifth 7/10--(Wasn't crazy about JLA added to it.) On last thing: Rino Romano did an excellent job as Batman. His voice isn't deep and dark like Kevin Conroy's, but it did give the youthfulness that the series demanded. I've really only know three actors to pull of Batman AND Bruce Wayne (rather than one or the other) and Romano is one of them. (Conroy and Bale being the other two.) Good series, I'm sad that it ended so soon. I looked forward to it every Saturday Morning and bought the DVDs so I could watch it when I wanted. Well worth the money.

8 out of 10 stars overall.

Awesome, Original, and Smart.

Author: ja_09 from Canada
21 January 2008

When I first heard that a new batman series was starting, like most people i was a little hesitant, but over the holidays i receive all the seasons on DVD as people know i'm a huge Batman fan. After watching them all i wanted more. The stories are written very well and at most times there unpredictable and you are really left wondering how the problem could possibly be resolved. I feel that they did Bruce Wayne and batman quite well and he has some decent one liners. Robin and Batgirl though young are fun to watch and listen to as well. Some of the new villains are cool or the changes that they've made to old ones i.e freeze, bane, and joker to name a few. Most of them are welcomed though i like most people i've talked to i just don't like the look of the joker, though his voice is great. The fighting shown in this cartoon is also great and i love some of the things that the developers have come up with for Batman to do and i really hope that this show can go on for a long time as i enjopy it and love the writing behind the stories. In the end i'm still in love with The animated series of Batman, but this new Batman has not come unwelcomed in my books. For those hesitant to watch it or for those who already have i say give it a chance, you'll be surprised. ( especially season 4) There are some great episode there.

Black and White Dark Knight

Author: Farthingale from South Africa
17 January 2007

My biggest problem with The Batman is not the Jackie Chan flashbacks, or the I'm-So-Frikken-Contemporary soundtrack... it's what has been done to the franchise's most effective element: its villains.

One need not go into the global outrage at the 'new and improved' Joker. Anyone who's read the comics will most likely just blanket Monkeyfist-in-drag from their minds, or (like I do) imagine him to be a terrible poseur, who slipped onto the scene while the real Mr J was out of town.

But look at the other villains, if you will, and observe every streak of humanity being burnt from them. Remember the pathos you felt for poor Manbat? Doomed by his ambitions? And Doctor Freeze, fighting a losing battle against his wife's mortality? Or the Penguin, self-consciously 'freaky' and trying to compensate with shows of overwrought grandeur? Or Pamela Isley, so concerned for the environment that she became a plant herself? Well worry no longer, regular people! Your villains are now completely two dimensional stereotypes, who you have no danger of relating to, and are also not likely to start following as an endearing anti-hero! Manbat was especially effective as an out-and-out lunatic monster, who pretended to have family ties just to throw Proto-Batsy off the scent! Yes, friends. Worry no longer. You're safe from shades of grey in The Batman.

Better than expected

Author: Mars Ares from Hell's Kitchen
3 May 2007

okay, so i haven't watched most of the Batman 1990's series. I've watched the movies, and the original series, the one with all the 'Wham! Bam! Shazam!' stuff. And in all honesty, i think this is the better one of all. Why do i say so ?? Mostly because the characters designs look better here than they ever did in the comics and series. Take the joker for example. In the old series, after a few minutes of analysis (for none batman fans), it was obvious that he was kinda crazy. But in this one, it takes it to another level. His looks, his style of speech, the way he dresses, etc..all make him look even crazier than most of the other series have portrayed him. Same goes for The Riddler. For those of you who don't know, he has a disorder of some sort. Obsessive compulsive disorder i think. And in this series, its shown a bit more than in the others, with his 'goth look', and his more cryptic voice. This version of the Batmobile is even better than most of the others as well. Instead of having that 'tank-like' look that the other versions had, this one has that 'extra high-tech, but still a car' look. Its like its sleek, but still an awesome weapon.

Sure, its a kids show. But don't let that stop you from watching the series. Its very good, the artwork is flawless, the animation is even better. I think you should give it a try before just saying 'Jackie Chan art style ? Bah'

Has really developed.

Author: Osmosis Iron from Estonia
2 June 2005

This show has really developed since the first season. The characters are deeper and the episodes are getting better and better. And now when Commissioner Gordon with his daughter Barbara is finally in Gotham it looks like it's getting even better. But there is still a long way to go....... "The Batman" has been criticized a lot for some radical character redesigns, but if the villains would have looked like they did in B-TAS people would probably be whining that it has no fresh ideas. I think that most characters (re)designs are great and some look even better than they did in B-TAS, Clayface is a nice example. Of course there are few exceptions. The worst is definitely penguin wasn't him having sharp teeth and three fingers enough? They had to make him know kung fu. I am not the biggest fan of Catwoman's new design either (what's up with her ears she looks like Mickey Mouse) Overall the character designs are OK. The second season is had some pretty good episodes so far like "Riddled", "Grundy's night", "Laughing Bat" and "Night and the city". Let's hope that the second half of season 2 is going to be even better.

Another great animated Batman

Author: DerrickLyle2004 from Decatur, Georgia
28 September 2004

Batman is Batman - let's get that straight. Now for details - The Batman cartoon is a brand new animated incarnation of The Caped Crusader. The biggest difference between this take and Batman: The Animated Series from the 1990s is that this show relishes being a cartoon, and relies on action, while the previous Batman cartoons were heavy on story content, and wanted to be taken more seriously than the average cartoon.

People have a right to make comparisons, but this cartoon is great in its own right. Batman/Bruce Wayne is in his late twenties, and some of his foes are younger too. Wayne Manor looks like its in Gotham City and not on the outskirts. There's no Commissioner Gordon, but there is Chief Rojas. But all of the things that define Batman are present: the costume, the Batmobile, the Batcave, etc. This time around, Batman has his own operating system - The Batwave, that powers his headquarters and vehicles.

Rather than downing this version of Batman because its doesn't appeal to a mature crowd, take the time to see it for yourself. You might enjoy the show.

brilliant

Author: mchollandmatthew
13 August 2012

this batman story is all about Batman's Early and young days as batman from worlds greatest detective to partner ship with dick Grayson and bat girl and how he met some of the justice league characters i always watched this when i was a wee five year old to 9 years old and now I'm 13 and i still like this TV show every day i couldn't stop watching it its so action packed and has tons of villains in the batman Sega also some cool hero's in this TV series jokers very evil looking quite cool and banes all red when he presses his button which was a good change to bane and also some new villains or maybe there from the comics or so awe ll but i still watch this some time this was on cartoon network from 2004- 2008 wish they made more but at least there's a batman the brave and the bold and beware the batman coming out next year and the 1960s series and the 1990s overall 10/10

Great Show!

Author: Edward Nigma from United States
10 February 2006

I am a huge fan of Batman but, this is the best series I have ever seen! From all the new character designs and voice talents, this show is awesome. I understand a lot of people don't like having people toy around with the characters designs, but come on they still have the same personality. For instance Riddler is by far the best character I have seen, I have been a fan of all versions of the Riddler and I'm not complaining. Robert Englund did a great job on the character and the episodes plots were great as well. From Joker to the rest of the characters they are all great I recommend this show because if you liked BTAS you'll, love this too, if you give it a chance.

This is too good

Author: cvforbin from United States
19 April 2006

Sorry to disagree with you. I am a major animation fan. I have watched every iteration of Batman. And "The Batman" more than holds its own. If you noticed, every Batman has a different "look" to it. Although this one has the look of Jackie Chan. Jackie Chan it is not. The villains got chops. The redraw and fine tuning of the characters brings a totally deeper dimension to the fight between good and evil. Actually the fact that in all the other Batman's, the villains were always easy, kinda bothered me. In this new version, The super-villains, really are super villain. The gadgets, rock. Batman stays true; playboy who can't commit. And the movie, Batman vs. Dracula, is ridiculously good.

Watch it, you will definitely like it.

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]