IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Awesome show....

Author: Schuylar March from United States
17 January 2008

I like this show especially season 5. Having Batman team up with Justice League heroes is an awesome idea. I know that there is lots of people that don't like this show and I see why. I hate the look of several of a few of the villains. I don't like Joker's look the most. I'd like it if he looked close to the way that he looked like in Batman TAS. I have no problem with any of the episodes. Robin and Batgirl are great sidekicks. I don't like that Batgirl got introduced first. I think that Robin should have been introduced first. I'd like it if there was more of an origin story for Batman. I'd like it if the villains had longer origin stories.

Started OK, got better, got worse, and then got pretty good...

Author: CaptainAstro
21 December 2006

It's been an interesting run for this series.

In the 1st season, there were maybe 3 or 4 really good episodes, a few that were OK, and a few that were just terrible. The second season did a little better about not being bad. Then, in the 3rd season, they introduced Batgirl. Incidentally, the show started to get really bad. Save for the "Criminal Mastermind" episode, the season was filled with disappointment.

Then, at the beginning of the 4th season, they introduced Robin. My initial reaction was "considering how bad the show got when they brought in Batgirl, the introduction of Robin couldn't be good. But it was. The show started to pick up, and has become much more promising and watchable.

What I said about the show when it started, and I maintain I was right, was that the show needed a while to really settle into it's stride. If you watch the beginning episodes for "Batman: The Animated Series," Batman and Joker start out with a slightly more playful relationship, and Batman isn't nearly as dark. This show did take a while, but it seems to have gotten to a point where they can entertain people who are old enough to remember the first show.

The show is really intentionally different from any other incarnations of the characters, as obviously evidenced by the Joker redesign. I thought that making the Joker the version they did was such a bold statement, and the character still works.

The show is so different, that a lot of die-hard fans will be disappointed. But the show has gotten better, and is less of a guilty pleasure for me to watch now.

7 out of 10. Shaky start, but on more solid ground.

P.S. For all my tolerance of the extreme character redesigns, I will never be okay with the Mr. Freeze they settled on. Clancy Brown can't save it, it's just a stupid, poorly-written character with a pretty lame design.

this show is awesome!

Author: yotamwineer from israel
23 October 2016

I have to admit, I really love this series. I really love the style of the show, it's so memorable in my eyes that I can never forget it.

I actually tried to watch this show with sound, but I always afraid that it will ruined my experience with the show. from the first i saw pictures from the show, it always felt different from other superheroes cartoon shows. it just felt special, it has awesome animation with awesome design, awesome action, very good stories, and many action that happened. this show has really my favourite batman. and sure like any batman incarnation he has trust issues, he always obsessive with his passion, and he cares about the people and fight crime, but he was more humane , friendly and most of all kickass(in my opinion). and I like the idea, that every season of this show adding something new, even if it's different. also, i think the joker in the series was awesome, and so all of the villains. i really love this show, i have no other words other than that it started awesome and at the same way it ended. definitely one of my favourite cartoon show.

Best batman TV series

Author: leddicoatbailey
18 August 2016

I think that this show is the best because it has an excellent story line, the characters now how to fight back and Bruce Wayne is new at Being batman. It also introduces the villains very well. I love this batman the TV series it is a lot better then btas. This show introduces some new characters to the hole batman trilogy but I did miss some of the old villains like Ras al ghoul and two face but the characters that replaced them did really good. The batman also introduces batmans side kicks really well. Know for btas I think it doesn't have a good story line and the characters change a lot so that is why I prefer the batman better than btas. Well that's what I think but other people might have different feelings for this show.

Underrated and overlooked

Author: Ethan_Martin from United States
31 July 2016

I feel bad for this series, I really do. A lot of episodes were more comedic than dark, and I'm guessing that's why people look down on it. The absence of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill could also be a reason why people don't like this as much. Instead of dwelling in the past, this series decided to go down it's own path, the character designs are cool, the episodes that are written well are phenomenal, and Rino Romano is a great Bruce Wayne. Kevin Michael Richardson is also a great person to voice Joker in this. Adding in other voice actors like Robert Englund and Tom Kenny was an awesome idea. The series had it's faults sure, some of the comedy episodes fall flat, but overall the show was very good, great even. It decided to take chances, chances that a lot of fans would like and some fans would hate. It's "The Little Animated Batman Show That Could" of Batman cartoons, it had a lot of odds stacked against it, but it managed to survive for 5 seasons and have a definitive end.

Overhated by Nostailgic Fanboys

Author: Jimmy Nutrin from United Kingdom
15 May 2016

I absolutely loved this year when it was on TV. It had great stories, great character design and just great everything. I will say that Batman's voice acting isn't the best compared to the Animated Series or Brave and the Bold, but it's decent. The main reason this show is hated is the same reason as the 2016 Powerpuff Girls and Teen Titans Go are hated: it isn't the same as the older viewers remember. In this case, they watched The Animated Series when they were younger and disliked this show as it was different from what they imagined. However, this is just speculation, as I do realise there are other reasons for hating it. It's a good 9/10 show that I personally enjoyed, and to me, that's all that matters.

Underrated.

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
19 December 2015

This show was so underrated and i hate it that they cancelled it it had so much potential and yes they did changed Joker which he looked more like a monkey to some people but what did you expect it was a Batman for a new generation and it was definitely better than Batman: The Brave and Bold and the stupid Beware the Batman TV show. The Batman even had a different actor to voice Bruce Wayne/ Batman which it's kinda wrong to me since we all know that the best actor for this job is and always will be Kevin Conroy a really amazing voice for the Dark Knight. Sure it has some flaws but it's also a great new take on the caped crusader and since i grew up with this show i will always love it.

Great if you like this Joker. I didn't

Author: willz187 from Canada
6 December 2014

Since the Joker is in this a lot, you have to like this interpretation if you're going to recommend this series. I cannot. I respect the guts it took to do what they did with many of characters and all their redesigning. But they went too far with some, namely, the Joker, the Riddler, and every character with a seemingly swollen, broken, block nose. Can't get behind Catwoman's floppy turtle-neck and giant ears neither. But the Joker takes the cake, and should've been given a different name - as this is a great departure from anything we've seen; a different essence completely.

If you can get past the characterization, and look at the writing and art, love the art, so-so about the writing.

Love how they try to keep it dark and spooky. The animation is top notch. So is the background art. This series has a lot to offer; Including a heaping of confusion, as to whether or not you approve of it. It had the meat to last 5 seasons. It's a toughie.

Putting the Dark Knight back into the Dark of Night.

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
31 May 2014

AS FAR AS adaptations of Super Heroes from the Comics to the screen is concerned, no one is more severe a critic than are we. Any deviation from long established comics "facts" are looked upon as being unacceptable. (Death to the Revisionists!)

FOR EXAMPLE, TAKE the treatment of the Joker in both BATMAN (1989) and in THE DARK KNIGHT (2008). In the first Michael Keaton outing, what would have been an ideal treatment of the character, was turned into a heretical foray into the realm of the untrue.

THEIR HANDDLING OF the character went haywire with the deviant storyline in which Jack Napier,* the Joker, was the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents. Forb good measure, they had the Joker dead at film's end.

THE PRODUCTION COMPANY that gave us the DARK KNIOGHT was no better; turning the Joker into some sort of grimy, grubby and commonplace psychotic killer. And, if this wasn't enough, for good measure they also killed him at this end, also. It seems that Joker is the Batman Franchise's answer to that kid on SOUTH PARK; who dies in every episode. (But we digress!)

WE FIND THAT this animated TV series, THE BATMAN (2004-08) is the finest example of making comics panels come to life and move, talk, interact; that is for television. It's inherent craftsmanship is deep, extending to all aspects. The rendering of the dark panel look and mood combine with a high level of animation that makes it a serious rival to the Max Fleischer produced SUPERMAN Cartoon Series of the 1940's. (No small feat that!)

ONCE AGAIN, THE careful attention to making the night the element of operation that Batman thrived in. This is one aspect of the feature that had been largely abandoned in the comics; forgetting that in the early days, Batman owed an ancestral debt to the pulp & radio character, THE SHADOW.

IN MAKING GOOD use of the extensive roster of characters accumulated over the years, the production company assured the series of conforming with the comics storyline. Prominently featured also were Dick Grayson/Robin, Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, Commissioner Gordon and Alfred the Butler.

A LARGE NUMBER OF voice actors were used in bringing life to the multitude of master criminals; who provided the wrong doings in Gotham. Why, the producers even had an under-appreciated, though highly talented actor cast as Gotham City's Mayor. (Who is he? Why he's none other than ADAM WEST!)

NOTE: * We commend the production team for the story; which combined elements of the very first Joker story in the comics as well as the later story of Joker's origin. They even gave the character something he hadn't had before, a REAL NAME!

I gotta say I like it.

Author: kalismandaniel from United States
27 December 2010

After reading all the negatives I had to pitch in with a yea vote. I have only watched seasons 3 and 2, (in that order) but I liked 3 and liked 2 even more. I am a casual fan of superhero comics. I don't know the whole history of the franchise. I don't know who wrote this or who voiced that or what forms all the past stories have taken. So I don't have strong opinions about what things should or shouldn't be done in a Batman show. Frankly, it seems rather silly that some people have such a 'holy relic' view of the issue. I think artists should do whatever they want as long as they do it well. These guys did what they did very well. The new takes on the characters are refreshing and exciting. I love the artwork. It has a fast pace that keeps my interest. And while the stories aren't as deep or adult as in BTAS, they aren't mindless or kiddy either. No Batman is ever going to live up to BTAS because it was just brilliant and one of a kind. Even the BTAS people couldn't keep up the quality through the whole run of the series. And personally, I feel that every series has gone downhill as soon as Batgirl came aboard, including this one. (Even Robin seems to herald the beginning of the end as far as I'm concerned.) But I would advise anyone just checking this out to forget all the graphic novels and forget BTAS and just enjoy this for what it is; a kids show that is much better than the average, and a fun new way to see Batman.

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]