IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

brilliant

Author: mchollandmatthew
13 August 2012

this batman story is all about Batman's Early and young days as batman from worlds greatest detective to partner ship with dick Grayson and bat girl and how he met some of the justice league characters i always watched this when i was a wee five year old to 9 years old and now I'm 13 and i still like this TV show every day i couldn't stop watching it its so action packed and has tons of villains in the batman Sega also some cool hero's in this TV series jokers very evil looking quite cool and banes all red when he presses his button which was a good change to bane and also some new villains or maybe there from the comics or so awe ll but i still watch this some time this was on cartoon network from 2004- 2008 wish they made more but at least there's a batman the brave and the bold and beware the batman coming out next year and the 1960s series and the 1990s overall 10/10

Not as good as BTAS, but its original.

Author: Saber Wood (staticsaber@comcast.net) from United States
15 September 2006

I've heard all kinds of insults thrown at The Batman, and its just getting tiresome. It can't be the original series because its been done and as much as I love BTAS, its time to try something new.

This is not the Batman of the 90's, 60's 40's whatever. What we have here is an up to date Batman in the 21'st century. New gadgets, new suit, new Batman. Bruce Wayne, he's doing what he's supposed to being, being a playboy bachelor and acting as if he hasn't got a care in the world, while as Batman he's not at his darkest yet but he's getting there. He's still the serious Batman, just hasn't been pushed to his limits yet, give it time.

Alfred has more to do in this series this time around, appearing more in the episodes, getting involved with some of the villains and even getting some time in sub plots. He also has changed since first season. He no longer burdens Bruce about his alternate life but rather encourages it.

Batgirl, though not my favorite character has an interesting introduction to the story and tends to add some simple comic relief to the story here and there but shows she's a good partner.

Then we have his Rouge Gallery of villains. All right, some like 'em, some don't and I won't argue with your opinions. Though as I said, this is not BTAS. To recreate a famous story, you gotta makes some changes in both the plot and characters, change outfits and looks, give them new motives, keep it original. Joker, I do miss his suit and his entire figure, but that look has been around for over 60 years. When you think of Joker you think "insane", right? Well you can't get anymore insane then that and the motive is still the same, he's always a thorn in Batman's side. Or is that the other way around...?. Mr. Freeze has become more hi-tech and has gone back to his earlier roots as a average thief turned into a creature with a temp. below zero (with a small hint of his former wife). Bane, with his venom is a thug for hire and more dangerous than before with his gain in hight and his intelligence. Catwomen more or less is still like her BTAS self, now sporting an outfit inspired by her 80's look. A personal favorite is Ethan Bennett, the new Clayface. ******SPOILER****** Sporting a smaller body and new attacks, he wanted to get back at Joker who was the cause of his mutation but wanted his former boss dead for his harshness and his "Zero Tolerance for Freaks" rule. ******SPOILER****** There's many others I could go on about, Clue Master (One shot deal, not a great bad guy), Ragdoll (haven't seen that episode yet), Poison Ivy (Cool design, and her tie in with Batgirl's interesting), and the Riddler (don't mind the design to much, though great writing and voice actor) among others but you get where I'm going with this I hope...

This is not trying to be BTAS, this is trying to be its own show, such as The Teen Titan's. And an anime rip off? Yeah, its inspired by the style but tell me exactly what style its ripping off. Not one I can think of I'm afraid, besides they could have had a much worse style. And the childish writing? I've seen worse, and even BTAS had a some child friendly writing ("I've Got Batman In My Basment" and as much as I like Riddler and the episode to introduce him, "If You're So Smart, Why Arn't You Rich?"), but lets not forget the darker and more mature story's ("Feet Of Clay/2", "Clock King", "The Man Who Killed Batman", "Two-face/2", "Perchance To Dream", tell me when to stop). They both have some childish writing, but have some darkness throughout.

I don't care if its not like the comics, not like BTAS, not like the movies, was it ever trying to be? Its not the greatest thing ever, but its at least worth a look at. And even if you do despise the series, at the most give Batman vs. Dracula a chance and see how dark it can be. The Batman, 8/10

Wow....underrated!

Author: theclone56 from United States
26 May 2006

I own the "Batman: The Animated Series" DVDs, and love them. The stories are gripping and emotional, and it's very well animated. Not having cable, the most I could do with "The Batman" was listen to the rotten reviews, all of them proudly raising "Batman: The Animated Series" into the sky and proclaiming it as the begin all and end all of Batman. Finally, my curiosity got the better of me, and I picked up The Batman Season One, expecting nothing but craptacular goodness, but willing to give the show a chance. Boy was I shocked. I absolutely hate anime, but I love stylized animation that doesn't quite take that far. This went just far enough for me, and while some character's designs are, well, awful (*cough* Joker *cough*) others are brilliance (and the Joker's design does improve as the episodes go on). The voice acting for the most part is excellent, with only a few bad moments here and there. And the animation, each character moves with incredible fluidity, while the fight scenes really shine (and there's lots of them). The car chases have brilliant use of CGI, and are far superior to anything they were capable of in the 90's. Now for the stories. Episode one made me a little hesitant to continue, but I'm glad I did. With each episode,the stories grew in complexity, and by the time Ethan Bennet becomes Clayface in the finale, it's almost as well written as the original series (almost). So I say, pick it up, you won't be disappointed as long as you give the show a fair chance. Is it as good as the animated series from the 90's? No. But then, how could it be?

Best Batman Cartoon EVER

Author: vooduhu from Canada
17 January 2009

I've been a Batman fan my whole life and always enjoy another take on the life and times of the dark knight.

Although the Batman animated series was alright, I never really like the whole OLD look at feel of the show that much. Kinda bored me.

This Batman series has better music, style and action and art then any other batman ever.

OOh Booo Hoo you nerds don't like the way someone else did it. Well thats your opinion. I LUV IT. I can watch any re-run of this series over and over and never get bored. Hell i hope they one day make a TV series with live actors with this same style.

This is the BEST BATMAN SERIES ever, sad to see it go.

Awesome show....

Author: Schuylar March from United States
17 January 2008

I like this show especially season 5. Having Batman team up with Justice League heroes is an awesome idea. I know that there is lots of people that don't like this show and I see why. I hate the look of several of a few of the villains. I don't like Joker's look the most. I'd like it if he looked close to the way that he looked like in Batman TAS. I have no problem with any of the episodes. Robin and Batgirl are great sidekicks. I don't like that Batgirl got introduced first. I think that Robin should have been introduced first. I'd like it if there was more of an origin story for Batman. I'd like it if the villains had longer origin stories.

"Bring on The Baat....Maann..."

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
9 November 2008

This show isn't the most reliable comic source like the Batman Animated Series but this was developed to entertain the audience and introduce a new generation to Batman...And to cash in on the success of Batman Begins.

The show is colourful and bright with some good fight scenes; the audience is introduced to some new villains like Black Mask who has never made a television appearance until now and Dr.Hugo Strange, more memorable characters like Joker and Riddler are given a radical make over which keeps the show fresh and new. The only thing that is a little annoying is the character development, its too rushed and not all characters are explored and a lot of character origins are screwed up....I found the episode 'Grundy's Night' very interesting.

A show that you can watch in the afternoon or on a Saturday morning...

Cool!!!

Author: Sith_Padawan_Cuddles from United Kingdom
6 February 2007

A new version of Batman, eh? The first episode I saw of this was about Joker turning Bat's friend into Clayface. It was kinda cool, I guess. I don't know what people have against the Joker's look in this series. I for one think he looks COOL!!! Yeah, he fights like a frog, but the voice-over for him is brilliant. No-one can re-do Mark Hammill, of course, but I loved this voice. This version of Batsy isn't as good as he looks. He is easily defeated by a lot of his enemies (Firefly in 'The Big Heat', etc) and his voice is dumb, too. I've said what I thought about Joker's look, and Penguin seems alright except for his three fingers. Mr. Freeze is great in my opinion, and great voice-over for him too. Catwoman's ears are too big, she's more like Mousewoman. Bane is awesome. Killer Croc was the worst version of him yet, I think. He's ridiculously stupid looking, and really easily beaten. Bat-man's about mid-twenties I suppose, but he isn't as cool as a lot of the other continuities's versions. All in all, good fun to watch, no really crappy episodes, and Robin and Batgirl are great. 8/10 from me, but I'm not the biggest Batman fan ever, so most of you won't agree, I think.

A Good Show - Analysis on the batman

Author: fox-serie from Mexico
19 November 2007

This is analysis of The Batman TV series if you just hate this one, maybe you shouldn't read it if you have an open mind then go ahead and i hope you enjoy this text

First of all really the people why people hate "the batman" so much.In first place most of them do it just because they liked the 90's series of the production of "Bruce Timm", let me say about this two things if you can get moving with times then you will get old in a world that is already not for you. Yes this new batman has flashing gadgets and all that.And the fights are so much exaggerated and all that. But let's just think if batman does not advance in his technology and fighting skills then it would be like having superman of the 40's in our days he could be killed very easily. And then it comes a point why the enemies characters in the batman fight or do have an ability superior to that of any previous incarnation? simple if batman does advance then his enemies must do the same in fighting and other things.About the other things yes the production of batman of 90's(or TAS like some people call it)to the horrible JLU show. Yes batman TAS was better but some of the episodes were excellent, great not just good because of its writers Paul Dini, Alan Burnett,Rich Fogel,Michael Revees etc. Because of that like half the show is good and the other is Excellent a masterpiece. This batman may not be the same production but is still good, like JLU yes "Bruce Timm".... but the writers and directors for the episodes were not the same of batman TAS, Dini wrote three episodes and he is the original creator of Harley Queen, Dine wrote the Harley Queen episode for "the Batman", Capizzi worked on superman doomsday, Alan Burnett wrote the Superman - Batman episode and it was just great, one of the better depictions of superman working with batman, even better than the one of 90's (Superman TAS),for if it is for children maybe(personally i don't think so that much, and i have seen all versions of batman animated or real),if you consider this then don't watch the show, if you really analyze "The batman" then you will see that somethings that happens are not for children, by example the police trying to catch Batman even more than in Batman TAS, in batman TAS Harvey friend Bruce became Two-Face in "The batman" Bennet the friend of Bruce became clay-face I, and so on if you think of it Robin was nearly and adult just like Batgirl, then you can say nothing about that because they were adults, (maybe Tim Frake but he didn't appear that much) in "the Batman" Robin is a kid ranging from 10 to 12 years old. just like the one of silver age(the original was 8) and like in the Frank Miller Comics and so on, etc., etc. Yhe art is just different horrible art the one from other American comedy shows.this own is different fluid and has some very good light effects, as a side note: some people criticize that some of the characters are horrible, have you just think that the Batman rogues of all times , are considered the monsters of society, the more monstrous depiction doesn't seem bad to me, if they are ridiculous or monstrous, or plain, or charismatic, have you just think that being crazy doesn't imply that you have to be like the joker of batman TAS(even if he is the greatest villain i have ever seen), most of the characters from the batman myths are crazy in a widely range of ways. or are just criminals or you can see them as victims etc.

Finally as i said in the beginning maybe you find something interesting in this text or not. I have just said what i have to say about"The Batman" is finally your choice to see it or not. But don't go just saying "The batman is horrible, is barf, etc." It is really a good show an yes children can enjoy it. For me i gave it a 8.5 out of 10

It's Batman from another perspective.

Author: koelsch575 from United States
11 November 2009

One of the biggest disappointments to people is this show's animation and the radical looks of some villains (mostly Joker).

The animation was done very slick in a Japanese anime style to catch new audiences that are used to it these days. Let's be honest and remember that old DCAU shows changed their animation from "The New Adventures of Batman" to "Justice League" for the same reason.

The reason for more action is because of that stupid 65 episode rule. This gives limited time for story which I find disappointing, you can tell they were going for a story that would lead to a Dark Knight Returns kind of arc. The show seems campy at times(because of those damn rules child broadcasting has), but has more dark moments like it should. You can easily tell from the first two episodes that they had planned for a mob story-arc similar to Batman:Year One. Each season pretty much starts with a story that grows to a nice climax at the end(the same technique is done in Marvel's new series "The Spectacular Spiderman"). If you continue to watch the show, you can see how his detective skills grow over time. Remember we're watching a young Bruce growing into the Dark Knight the city needs him to be.

In BTAS he's been at it as Batman for a couple of years already, he's known as a detective, and is accepted by the police. This show has him on the vigilante side and Gordon doesn't come in until later. I love how we get to see more of Bruce having a social life and protecting his alter-ego, where in BTAS how do you not know he's Batman!? Kevin Conroy's awesome but his voice doesn't seem to change in and out of the cowl. The creators of the show took their own liberties to pay respect to BTAS and the shadow it will forever cast. The use of villains is good too, I like how they use the lesser known ones.

The visuals are stunning in the fight and chase scenes(you can tell they were pulled right out of Batman comics), sound quality is top of the line for an animated show too. You have a sense of life from Gotham too. Where in previous DCAU shows there would be so many fights in the city you'd ask yourself "where are the people?". I personally think Clayface was done well, but nothing beats how Dr. Hugo Strange is portrayed. I personally think this incarnation of him is used best (even better than BTAS portrayal). The fact that the villains can stand a fighting chance to Batman was always cool to me, I like how each one has their own fighting style. As a Bat-fan I disliked how the villains would do nothing but plot and you knew in the back of your head that in the end of the episode all it's gonna take is one punch from Batman to end it. Joker is always a subject of debate among people who see this show. To me not liking this Joker is like hating Heath Ledger's portrayal(his Joker was so radical that his skin wasn't even bleached), they both do a great job nonetheless. Personally I think Mark Hamill forever nailed the role.

Everything else was because of legal issues really. Robin appearing after Batgirl(because of Teen Titans ending), Batman not having a square chin and Kevin Conroy not doing the voice(because Justice League was still on at the time, Rino Ramano did a good job as a young Batman though), Scarecrow, Two-Face, and Ra's Al Ghul not appearing(because of them being in the new movies).

In a time where good cartoons are hard to find these days the creators of this show worked with what they had and did a great job at it.

Has really developed.

Author: Osmosis Iron from Estonia
2 June 2005

This show has really developed since the first season. The characters are deeper and the episodes are getting better and better. And now when Commissioner Gordon with his daughter Barbara is finally in Gotham it looks like it's getting even better. But there is still a long way to go....... "The Batman" has been criticized a lot for some radical character redesigns, but if the villains would have looked like they did in B-TAS people would probably be whining that it has no fresh ideas. I think that most characters (re)designs are great and some look even better than they did in B-TAS, Clayface is a nice example. Of course there are few exceptions. The worst is definitely penguin wasn't him having sharp teeth and three fingers enough? They had to make him know kung fu. I am not the biggest fan of Catwoman's new design either (what's up with her ears she looks like Mickey Mouse) Overall the character designs are OK. The second season is had some pretty good episodes so far like "Riddled", "Grundy's night", "Laughing Bat" and "Night and the city". Let's hope that the second half of season 2 is going to be even better.

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]