IMDb > "The Batman" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Batman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Batman" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Not as good as BTAS, but its original.

Author: Saber Wood (staticsaber@comcast.net) from United States
15 September 2006

I've heard all kinds of insults thrown at The Batman, and its just getting tiresome. It can't be the original series because its been done and as much as I love BTAS, its time to try something new.

This is not the Batman of the 90's, 60's 40's whatever. What we have here is an up to date Batman in the 21'st century. New gadgets, new suit, new Batman. Bruce Wayne, he's doing what he's supposed to being, being a playboy bachelor and acting as if he hasn't got a care in the world, while as Batman he's not at his darkest yet but he's getting there. He's still the serious Batman, just hasn't been pushed to his limits yet, give it time.

Alfred has more to do in this series this time around, appearing more in the episodes, getting involved with some of the villains and even getting some time in sub plots. He also has changed since first season. He no longer burdens Bruce about his alternate life but rather encourages it.

Batgirl, though not my favorite character has an interesting introduction to the story and tends to add some simple comic relief to the story here and there but shows she's a good partner.

Then we have his Rouge Gallery of villains. All right, some like 'em, some don't and I won't argue with your opinions. Though as I said, this is not BTAS. To recreate a famous story, you gotta makes some changes in both the plot and characters, change outfits and looks, give them new motives, keep it original. Joker, I do miss his suit and his entire figure, but that look has been around for over 60 years. When you think of Joker you think "insane", right? Well you can't get anymore insane then that and the motive is still the same, he's always a thorn in Batman's side. Or is that the other way around...?. Mr. Freeze has become more hi-tech and has gone back to his earlier roots as a average thief turned into a creature with a temp. below zero (with a small hint of his former wife). Bane, with his venom is a thug for hire and more dangerous than before with his gain in hight and his intelligence. Catwomen more or less is still like her BTAS self, now sporting an outfit inspired by her 80's look. A personal favorite is Ethan Bennett, the new Clayface. ******SPOILER****** Sporting a smaller body and new attacks, he wanted to get back at Joker who was the cause of his mutation but wanted his former boss dead for his harshness and his "Zero Tolerance for Freaks" rule. ******SPOILER****** There's many others I could go on about, Clue Master (One shot deal, not a great bad guy), Ragdoll (haven't seen that episode yet), Poison Ivy (Cool design, and her tie in with Batgirl's interesting), and the Riddler (don't mind the design to much, though great writing and voice actor) among others but you get where I'm going with this I hope...

This is not trying to be BTAS, this is trying to be its own show, such as The Teen Titan's. And an anime rip off? Yeah, its inspired by the style but tell me exactly what style its ripping off. Not one I can think of I'm afraid, besides they could have had a much worse style. And the childish writing? I've seen worse, and even BTAS had a some child friendly writing ("I've Got Batman In My Basment" and as much as I like Riddler and the episode to introduce him, "If You're So Smart, Why Arn't You Rich?"), but lets not forget the darker and more mature story's ("Feet Of Clay/2", "Clock King", "The Man Who Killed Batman", "Two-face/2", "Perchance To Dream", tell me when to stop). They both have some childish writing, but have some darkness throughout.

I don't care if its not like the comics, not like BTAS, not like the movies, was it ever trying to be? Its not the greatest thing ever, but its at least worth a look at. And even if you do despise the series, at the most give Batman vs. Dracula a chance and see how dark it can be. The Batman, 8/10

Started OK, got better, got worse, and then got pretty good...

Author: CaptainAstro
21 December 2006

It's been an interesting run for this series.

In the 1st season, there were maybe 3 or 4 really good episodes, a few that were OK, and a few that were just terrible. The second season did a little better about not being bad. Then, in the 3rd season, they introduced Batgirl. Incidentally, the show started to get really bad. Save for the "Criminal Mastermind" episode, the season was filled with disappointment.

Then, at the beginning of the 4th season, they introduced Robin. My initial reaction was "considering how bad the show got when they brought in Batgirl, the introduction of Robin couldn't be good. But it was. The show started to pick up, and has become much more promising and watchable.

What I said about the show when it started, and I maintain I was right, was that the show needed a while to really settle into it's stride. If you watch the beginning episodes for "Batman: The Animated Series," Batman and Joker start out with a slightly more playful relationship, and Batman isn't nearly as dark. This show did take a while, but it seems to have gotten to a point where they can entertain people who are old enough to remember the first show.

The show is really intentionally different from any other incarnations of the characters, as obviously evidenced by the Joker redesign. I thought that making the Joker the version they did was such a bold statement, and the character still works.

The show is so different, that a lot of die-hard fans will be disappointed. But the show has gotten better, and is less of a guilty pleasure for me to watch now.

7 out of 10. Shaky start, but on more solid ground.

P.S. For all my tolerance of the extreme character redesigns, I will never be okay with the Mr. Freeze they settled on. Clancy Brown can't save it, it's just a stupid, poorly-written character with a pretty lame design.

a new action style

Author: sketchyninja from az
11 November 2008

Batman has a more slick animation in this series that focuses more on style and snazzy moves and action rather than heavy storyline. The Clayface storyline is one villain that is more in depth as far as plot and is well done taking a few twists and turns. Most of the villains he comes across know some martial arts which make for more formidable opponents. It is a change from Batman TAS and manages to have faster paced action and a few reinterpreted villains yet still maintains Batman's struggle to fight crime yet maintain his sanity. As one that loves Batman TAS, i still find The Batman lots of fun as it focuses on the action and gadgets a lot more and i find it quit amusing to even see penguin have a few martial art tricks up his sleeve (he does have an explanation) and i like his cronies. The series later turned a more camp style with an intro that sounded like the 60s Batman TV show which i wasn't too hip on yet the series still had some excellent episodes. I say quit fighting about which animated series is better and just enjoy both for what they give.

Cool!!!

Author: Sith_Padawan_Cuddles from United Kingdom
6 February 2007

A new version of Batman, eh? The first episode I saw of this was about Joker turning Bat's friend into Clayface. It was kinda cool, I guess. I don't know what people have against the Joker's look in this series. I for one think he looks COOL!!! Yeah, he fights like a frog, but the voice-over for him is brilliant. No-one can re-do Mark Hammill, of course, but I loved this voice. This version of Batsy isn't as good as he looks. He is easily defeated by a lot of his enemies (Firefly in 'The Big Heat', etc) and his voice is dumb, too. I've said what I thought about Joker's look, and Penguin seems alright except for his three fingers. Mr. Freeze is great in my opinion, and great voice-over for him too. Catwoman's ears are too big, she's more like Mousewoman. Bane is awesome. Killer Croc was the worst version of him yet, I think. He's ridiculously stupid looking, and really easily beaten. Bat-man's about mid-twenties I suppose, but he isn't as cool as a lot of the other continuities's versions. All in all, good fun to watch, no really crappy episodes, and Robin and Batgirl are great. 8/10 from me, but I'm not the biggest Batman fan ever, so most of you won't agree, I think.

I LIKED IT... however...

Author: pumpkin78 from Denmark
13 June 2006

It takes one of the oldest, most established cartoon characters of all time, his city, his enemy's, even (as noted in one of the other comments here) his home and gives it a WHOLE new style... The animation is Definitely more Japanese anime than anything else (batman wise), but is that always a bad thing..?

The Joker is now more animalistic, motion wise but not IQ wise, and acrobatic (not to bad an idè if he's to hold a candle to a martial arts expert, which batman is, and he's always been mad as a bag of monkeys, so hey...)

HOWEVER!!!

Batman has lost his "darkness"... yes, the story is sett in his "early days", but still... wasn't that what we really liked about this hero..? his "mean streak"..? But then again: this is suppose to entertain the kids... isn't it..? not a bunch of grown ups on a nostalgia trip..? let the toddlers of today have a more... child friendly... batman, and then show them the Tim Burton classics...

TO CONCLUDE: in the past month, i've seen a lot of different batman shows and movies...

everything from the (good) movies to the shows from the -60's, the early -90's, the late -90's... hey, I even saw a couple of episodes from 1943, in GENUINE black and white... just how the one from the -60's managed to be worse than the "Batman hunting evil Jap's during WW II" is beyond me...

But this one ain't bad... not bad at all...

Different, yes... but not bad...

A Good Show - Analysis on the batman

Author: fox-serie from Mexico
19 November 2007

This is analysis of The Batman TV series if you just hate this one, maybe you shouldn't read it if you have an open mind then go ahead and i hope you enjoy this text

First of all really the people why people hate "the batman" so much.In first place most of them do it just because they liked the 90's series of the production of "Bruce Timm", let me say about this two things if you can get moving with times then you will get old in a world that is already not for you. Yes this new batman has flashing gadgets and all that.And the fights are so much exaggerated and all that. But let's just think if batman does not advance in his technology and fighting skills then it would be like having superman of the 40's in our days he could be killed very easily. And then it comes a point why the enemies characters in the batman fight or do have an ability superior to that of any previous incarnation? simple if batman does advance then his enemies must do the same in fighting and other things.About the other things yes the production of batman of 90's(or TAS like some people call it)to the horrible JLU show. Yes batman TAS was better but some of the episodes were excellent, great not just good because of its writers Paul Dini, Alan Burnett,Rich Fogel,Michael Revees etc. Because of that like half the show is good and the other is Excellent a masterpiece. This batman may not be the same production but is still good, like JLU yes "Bruce Timm".... but the writers and directors for the episodes were not the same of batman TAS, Dini wrote three episodes and he is the original creator of Harley Queen, Dine wrote the Harley Queen episode for "the Batman", Capizzi worked on superman doomsday, Alan Burnett wrote the Superman - Batman episode and it was just great, one of the better depictions of superman working with batman, even better than the one of 90's (Superman TAS),for if it is for children maybe(personally i don't think so that much, and i have seen all versions of batman animated or real),if you consider this then don't watch the show, if you really analyze "The batman" then you will see that somethings that happens are not for children, by example the police trying to catch Batman even more than in Batman TAS, in batman TAS Harvey friend Bruce became Two-Face in "The batman" Bennet the friend of Bruce became clay-face I, and so on if you think of it Robin was nearly and adult just like Batgirl, then you can say nothing about that because they were adults, (maybe Tim Frake but he didn't appear that much) in "the Batman" Robin is a kid ranging from 10 to 12 years old. just like the one of silver age(the original was 8) and like in the Frank Miller Comics and so on, etc., etc. Yhe art is just different horrible art the one from other American comedy shows.this own is different fluid and has some very good light effects, as a side note: some people criticize that some of the characters are horrible, have you just think that the Batman rogues of all times , are considered the monsters of society, the more monstrous depiction doesn't seem bad to me, if they are ridiculous or monstrous, or plain, or charismatic, have you just think that being crazy doesn't imply that you have to be like the joker of batman TAS(even if he is the greatest villain i have ever seen), most of the characters from the batman myths are crazy in a widely range of ways. or are just criminals or you can see them as victims etc.

Finally as i said in the beginning maybe you find something interesting in this text or not. I have just said what i have to say about"The Batman" is finally your choice to see it or not. But don't go just saying "The batman is horrible, is barf, etc." It is really a good show an yes children can enjoy it. For me i gave it a 8.5 out of 10

Wow....underrated!

Author: theclone56 from United States
26 May 2006

I own the "Batman: The Animated Series" DVDs, and love them. The stories are gripping and emotional, and it's very well animated. Not having cable, the most I could do with "The Batman" was listen to the rotten reviews, all of them proudly raising "Batman: The Animated Series" into the sky and proclaiming it as the begin all and end all of Batman. Finally, my curiosity got the better of me, and I picked up The Batman Season One, expecting nothing but craptacular goodness, but willing to give the show a chance. Boy was I shocked. I absolutely hate anime, but I love stylized animation that doesn't quite take that far. This went just far enough for me, and while some character's designs are, well, awful (*cough* Joker *cough*) others are brilliance (and the Joker's design does improve as the episodes go on). The voice acting for the most part is excellent, with only a few bad moments here and there. And the animation, each character moves with incredible fluidity, while the fight scenes really shine (and there's lots of them). The car chases have brilliant use of CGI, and are far superior to anything they were capable of in the 90's. Now for the stories. Episode one made me a little hesitant to continue, but I'm glad I did. With each episode,the stories grew in complexity, and by the time Ethan Bennet becomes Clayface in the finale, it's almost as well written as the original series (almost). So I say, pick it up, you won't be disappointed as long as you give the show a fair chance. Is it as good as the animated series from the 90's? No. But then, how could it be?

It's Batman from another perspective.

Author: koelsch575 from United States
11 November 2009

One of the biggest disappointments to people is this show's animation and the radical looks of some villains (mostly Joker).

The animation was done very slick in a Japanese anime style to catch new audiences that are used to it these days. Let's be honest and remember that old DCAU shows changed their animation from "The New Adventures of Batman" to "Justice League" for the same reason.

The reason for more action is because of that stupid 65 episode rule. This gives limited time for story which I find disappointing, you can tell they were going for a story that would lead to a Dark Knight Returns kind of arc. The show seems campy at times(because of those damn rules child broadcasting has), but has more dark moments like it should. You can easily tell from the first two episodes that they had planned for a mob story-arc similar to Batman:Year One. Each season pretty much starts with a story that grows to a nice climax at the end(the same technique is done in Marvel's new series "The Spectacular Spiderman"). If you continue to watch the show, you can see how his detective skills grow over time. Remember we're watching a young Bruce growing into the Dark Knight the city needs him to be.

In BTAS he's been at it as Batman for a couple of years already, he's known as a detective, and is accepted by the police. This show has him on the vigilante side and Gordon doesn't come in until later. I love how we get to see more of Bruce having a social life and protecting his alter-ego, where in BTAS how do you not know he's Batman!? Kevin Conroy's awesome but his voice doesn't seem to change in and out of the cowl. The creators of the show took their own liberties to pay respect to BTAS and the shadow it will forever cast. The use of villains is good too, I like how they use the lesser known ones.

The visuals are stunning in the fight and chase scenes(you can tell they were pulled right out of Batman comics), sound quality is top of the line for an animated show too. You have a sense of life from Gotham too. Where in previous DCAU shows there would be so many fights in the city you'd ask yourself "where are the people?". I personally think Clayface was done well, but nothing beats how Dr. Hugo Strange is portrayed. I personally think this incarnation of him is used best (even better than BTAS portrayal). The fact that the villains can stand a fighting chance to Batman was always cool to me, I like how each one has their own fighting style. As a Bat-fan I disliked how the villains would do nothing but plot and you knew in the back of your head that in the end of the episode all it's gonna take is one punch from Batman to end it. Joker is always a subject of debate among people who see this show. To me not liking this Joker is like hating Heath Ledger's portrayal(his Joker was so radical that his skin wasn't even bleached), they both do a great job nonetheless. Personally I think Mark Hamill forever nailed the role.

Everything else was because of legal issues really. Robin appearing after Batgirl(because of Teen Titans ending), Batman not having a square chin and Kevin Conroy not doing the voice(because Justice League was still on at the time, Rino Ramano did a good job as a young Batman though), Scarecrow, Two-Face, and Ra's Al Ghul not appearing(because of them being in the new movies).

In a time where good cartoons are hard to find these days the creators of this show worked with what they had and did a great job at it.

Awesome show....

Author: Schuylar March from United States
17 January 2008

I like this show especially season 5. Having Batman team up with Justice League heroes is an awesome idea. I know that there is lots of people that don't like this show and I see why. I hate the look of several of a few of the villains. I don't like Joker's look the most. I'd like it if he looked close to the way that he looked like in Batman TAS. I have no problem with any of the episodes. Robin and Batgirl are great sidekicks. I don't like that Batgirl got introduced first. I think that Robin should have been introduced first. I'd like it if there was more of an origin story for Batman. I'd like it if the villains had longer origin stories.

This is not batman...

Author: xindi005 from United States
6 August 2005

There are so many areas to start on this "new" Batman series that I can't really know where to begin. All that I can say is that it really bites a real big sinking rock.

For instance, the opening score, though stylish and cool(in a way), just doesn't fit the fare as the dark knight theme. I think they were trying to make it hipper for the MTV/reality TV generation and well,...it didn't work. This score should be on some live-action movie,not an American anime about Batman(Danny Elfman/Shirley Walker music it is not).

Secondly, the artwork. Come on people, though Jackie Chan Adventures is a good series, the artwork needs work and it doesn't fit Batman very well. It looks too much like a bad comic book. The work done by Bruce Timm and company is much cooler than this crap.

Next, there is the story. Putting the cops and media against batman is too two-dimensional. One can't go real far with this, not to mention it's boring. The villains look like some bad dream of a bored teenager needing a hobby. Take the Joker; Mark Hamill rendition of this character made him very cool and gave a catchy laugh that even I try to emulate(don't succeed though). This version of Joker seems very corny and dull and the voice is annoying, not cool.

Now, I know some may think that I am being very critical about a show that just began, but I have seen so many shows in my short twenty-eight years( both the good and the bad) that I think that I can be critical about a show that really insults a cool icon like Batman. So get over it, will ya? Not that I am saying that people should not watch this show, I just think you should hear something from someone who has. Make your own decision about it.....I did.

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]