IMDb > The Last Drop (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Drop

The Last Drop More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Not funny...and not very good

Author: snowy1981 from United Kingdom
27 January 2006

I saw the last drop yesterday, and within a few minutes knew that i would be disappointed. The acting, on the whole was sub-standard, as was the script. And don't get me started on the score...whoever thought putting 80's style guitar rock music in the background during one scene should really be looking for another job.

The action, to be fair, had it's moments. There's a nice shootout near the beginning, and whilst there's no real 'gore' as such, the level of violent realism is fairly gritty.

I suppose the crux of my dislike for this movie is based around that fact that it seems to present ww2 in a light-hearted way. There's too many attempts at one-liner humour which just don't come off, or might be better suited to a romantic comedy. World War Two was many things. Horrific, heroic, gruelling, disgusting, wasteful...but funny it most certainly was not.

An OK movie to fill the time.

Author: killcannon from Canada
25 January 2006

First off, someone needs to teach Billy Zane what a Canadian accent sounds like.

His character is supposed to be from Windsor Ontario, about an hours drive from where I grew up. I don't know anyone who speaks in such a manner.

When he does research for his parts, he should go visit the "hometown" of his character to learn the way people speak. He uses the typical "Canadian" accent you see overdone on bad comedic TV.

Rest of the movie is standard good guy/bad guy/hero/villain/bungling henchmen movie set in WWII.

the special effects are OK for most of the movie, except for the airplanes in the first half of the movie. Should have used real planes instead of CG ones.

4 out of 10. I didn't turn it off, but it's not something I'd go to the theater to watch. Good to fill a bored late night, or slow afternoon with.

A Good Enjoyable Movie

Author: thaichris from Thailand
25 May 2006

I have just seen "The Last Drop" and thoroughly enjoyed the Movie. For start to finish the action was very good.I found the Plot interesting but could I feel be confusing for certain people. Whilst it was loosely based on actual events the scenario was believable and could have actually happened with spoils of war programs now being topical. I also feel the movie broke new ground in giving the aspects of the Germans. I have not doubt there are many good stories from the German perspective about the war. Laurence Fox as Major Kessler played a very good role and not doubt we shall be seeing him in many good movies in the future.I found it good to has some humor injected into the script which helped the movie to flow smoothly. The computer graphics were good and reasonably realistic. Overall the film attempted and I feel succeeded to cover all aspects of the plot. The props, vehicles etc were believable. So if you feel like a good evenings entertainment's I recommend this film.

When did you realize this movie would be horrible?

Author: ruomegared from Canada
25 January 2006

For me it was when Michael Madsen made his first appearance, probably fresh from the set of the mega-hit Bloodrayne sporting a look that could best be described as a biker dressed in uniform.

This movie is a 6/10 only because it isn't boring. Horrible acting by most of them and Billy Zane must have been reading the 0's on his paycheck rather than the script cause he was the worst. Oddly though his is the first Canadian character in a long time that talks fairly authentically, at least for a Midwestern. Only problem is his character is from Ontario so thats like giving a southerner a New York accent. The movie constantly reminds us he is Canadian by him saying "Eh" nonstop. His character has nothing but one liner jokes I had expected this movie to be a serious war movie ala "The Great Raid" but it could be confused for a TV movie.

This movie started off OK but then decided the Nazis were too evil so turned them into good guys I swear! How sad is it when a war movie loses the courage to paint bad guys and makes them all likable (even the greedy fat guy).

I suppose the entire cast and crew voted for this 9.1/10 rating cause no way would anyone vote that after seeing this.

Unbelievable

Author: Simon King from United States
18 May 2006

The U.K. has a strong tradition in making decent WWII movies. This, is NOT one of them! The acting, script, storyline, accents, special effects,... you name it, are just so awful. Mr. Madsen's appearance on the DVD cover drew me in but I was not rewarded with his capabilities. The same could almost be said of Mr. Zane who at least was capable and almost mildly amusing at times. It seemed he knew the film was rotten so he walked his way through the "action."

Mr. Tod (I do hope it is not Todd), I am sorry to see your money spent on this film. I do hope you will see the return of it due to rentals so that you can invest again in future UK films. In the meantime, I STRONGLY suggest avoiding this film at all costs. To see how a WWII film can be done in England, rent The Dambusters,

Just about the worst war film I have ever seen! - what were the film makers thinking?

Author: ghassett-1
4 February 2007

I know in the war and post war years the concept of the war-comedy genre was popular - and given the grim times the world faced in those times, it is understandable as to way - (i.e - think of the film one woman went to war). However the last drop is the most terriblest film I have ever seen.

For starters the story line was not strongly thought out, the acting in it was just and well the whole premise of the film was just too unbelievable. Clearly today's film makers have the ability to make decent war films but to have this sort of ridiculous story was almost making fun of war and its horrors and making fun of the resources that are offered to film makers today.

To have the characters chasing after treasure in the middle of war time - come on please! I know a lot of looting of priceless artifacts did take place by the Nazis but the fact that it was made out in the film as that was the entire reason why they were in the war was not realistic. The way the screenwriter and director portrayed the two female resistance workers was terrible - and making out with the sniper out of gratitude - excuse me but I don't think so - and not in the situation that they were. And the English actor who played the Nazi - he should stick to better movies like Gosford Park where he showed off his acting ability.

The other day i watched the war film Sophie Scholl - and even though it didn't have half the 'big' name actors in it and was foreign produced and acted it was the most brilliant film I have seen for awhile and the fact that stupid stupid films such as the last drop (more like the last war film for these film makers) are made, do not do justice to the real stories and real suffering that the occupied countries went through when the Third Reich was in power.

DO NOT SEE THIS FILM.

Good to the last drop

Author: Richard Wilkinson from United Kingdom
8 September 2005

Went to the preview screening on 8th Sept and had a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

A well constructed plot, with three groups trying to get their hands on looted Dutch treasure: the Germans, who want to ship it back to Berlin before the allied invasion pushes too far; the British, who want to keep it in custody until the war is over; and the renegade Germans, who want it for themselves. Nicely paced throughout, with the plot revealing itself as the film progresses.

Excellent, over the top, performance from Michael Madsen with a nice swipe at US foreign policy - shooting at anything that moves without knowing why.

The locations are good and the occasional use of actual archive footage is a nice touch, giving the film an authentic feel.

According to Carnaby, they are still working on a distribution deal. Based on what I saw, this shouldn't be too difficult to get.

Go & see it when it comes out.

This film was a joke - but it was not a funny one

Author: locoowl from United States
6 May 2006

This is my first comment on IMDb. I am a big fan of WWII films, so when I saw this one at Blockbuster I picked it up. The plot summary sounded interesting. Unfortunately, the plot summary on the DVD case was the best part of this production.

I can't really comment on the quality of the acting, because I think it is impossible for an actor to turn in a good performance when he/she is given nothing to work with. The plot was muddy to begin with, there was no clarity as to why Operation Matchbox was so important for the British. The viewer was left in the dark as to what was going on. The rationale of the SS goons did happen to make sense, but the characters were so stereotyped as to make them seem like cartoon characters with no believability at all. Finally the motivation for Vollner's character was never make clear. He and his friend Beck just seemed like a couple of refugees out of a Three Stooges movie out to make a score.

Have I mentioned the cartoon like aspect to the writing yet? Madsen's character ( the American Colonel ) was straight out of a comic book. What American military man did the writers have n mind - someone from Hogan's Heroes?

This is the first time I have given a 1 rating to a film. But this one was so horrid it deserved it. It also deserved it for being an insult to the intelligence of WWII genre fans. This was a real stinker of a movie. There is no excuse for this sort of amateurism.

I hate this movie.

Author: bogie-28 from Netherlands
11 June 2006

An insult to the Dutch, this film.

Bad acting worries no-one, even though this movie is full of it.

But look at the scenery. It doesn't even *half* look dutch. At any time. What is that contraption they bring into view repeatedly to act as different "Dutch windmills"??? Have the makers of this movie ever even seen a real one? I don't think so.

Had the makers of this movie delved slightly deeper into the material that this movie pretends to be about, I'm quite sure they would have been able to make a real good movie....

The story of the various treasures stolen by the nazi's is still actual, and it should not be told by people who do not know how a real Dutch windmill looks.

Forgive me for not going into the "bad acting" part. I have never seen worse.

Sad

Author: teraflop from United States
21 May 2006

This was sad. The plot & apparently interesting characters made me hope for a Kelly's Heroes redux but instead ended up with something of a Bad News Bores. All the accents were horrible, be they German, Canadian, or some British varieties. The plot assembled a complex finale that was not only impossible to follow but it looks like it was impossible to shoot as well! Neither was it clear what everyone's motivations were so you had to just put your faith in the director & screenwriter but without any reward.

Interesting characters: the mysterious British paratrooper, the Canadian pilot (he had potential), the "dutch" partisans, and the pair of German ne'er-do-wells. But as in some Greek tragedy, they're left to flounder by the gods.

Operation Market Garden did exist. It was smart to put that event as a backdrop but difficult for the producers ($$) to convincingly place Operation Matchbox in this context - apart from the special effects involved in the gliders (I hope people know that this actually happened). As a result, the collection of oddball soldiers and this plot needed to work harder than they did to make this film shine. Sadly, nothing came through.

What I liked is that many characters were not black & white - something that reflects true wartime conditions when the very best & worst in men & women comes out. Regardless, this was supposed to be an entertaining film, not what it ended up being.

Some would question why I would see or review such a film. I do believe in diamonds in the rough and look for charm, lucidity, and originality but not at the expense of wasting my time.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]