IMDb > True (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

True More at IMDbPro »

Maybe the most beautiful movie I've ever seen.

Author: Jutze
15 February 2004

Every single frame fits the big picture. Every gesture says more than a hundred words. Every word is like a poem. I can hardly wait to see it again. Being a fan of details, I was in heaven during True. Natalie Portman looked better than ever. She smokes and screams (with and without reason). She seems to wear more different clothes than in Star Wars - Episode I. This little movie might be for her what All You Need Is Love was for the Beatles. There are countless movies about love, but this one is certainly the purest of them all. It's difficult to describe these ten minutes without spoiling the film. And it's difficult to describe them without writing pages and pages full of little impressions. Also, I'm sure it will grow with further watching. But even now I dare to say that True was the most beautiful movie I've ever seen.

Style over substance, but still a good effort

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
27 September 2013

German director Tom Tykwer directs Natalie Portman, in her Star Wars days at this point, and Melchior Beslon in this slightly-over-10-minute short film named "True" or "Faubourg Saint-Denis". It is set in Paris and also featured in the short film compilation "Paris, je t'aime".

We get an insight into blind boy Thomas' mind after his girlfriend breaks up with him via telephone. Admittedly, I thought there was something fishy about how Portman's character began the conversation "there are times" etc and her downright poetic use of the seasons for such a sad occasion. I just couldn't put my finger on what exactly it was and it's kinda ironic he's not unable to use his eyes, but what really tricked Thomas here was his hearing. All the screaming in the flashback scenes could have been easily annoying, but they fit very well just like almost all the other scenes of the two together. I's a must-watch for Portman fans and an entertaining 7 minutes for everybody else.