IMDb > "Gossip Girl" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Gossip Girl"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Gossip Girl" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A Guilty Pleasure

Author: acciocaitlin
3 October 2010

Obviously, Gossip Girl will not be winning any awards for its script or acting any time soon. The dialogue is clunky, the plot unrealistic and predictable and the acting is, at times, painful to watch. However, Gossip Girl doesn't try to succeed in any of these areas. What it does try to do, and what it completely succeeds at, is entertaining the viewer.

I absolutely love watching Gossip Girl. It's addictive. I need to know what's going to happen next, who's dating who, what scandal will Gossip Girl uncover next. It is plainly an addictive show! I'm only midway through Season 1, yet I can already say I am obsessed with this show.

Many of the actors (I'm looking at you, Chace Crawford) are hilariously bad, their stiff performances almost unbearable. I also find Serena and Nate to be incredibly bland, one-dimensional characters. However, I find Blair, Chuck and Jenny very interesting to watch. Penn Badgley as Dan Humprey surprised me with his very fair acting abilities. Though many of the plots are very dry and predictable, just as many story lines are redeeming with their suspense and creativity.

Gossip Girl is not a technically fabulous show. What it is, however, is enjoyable, and this is why it has won over so many viewers. Cast aside your preconceptions about this show and you will find yourself enjoying it.

Awesome Show

Author: besha-xx from Australia
19 April 2010

I use to watch this show every now and then but 2 days ago I decided to hire the first season now I'm nearly finished the second! It made a good impression on me. If you like teenage girls, drama and slightly predictable shows with also a bit of unexpected story lines then this is the show for you..Oh and catty girls! I have no problems at all with this show... It has its humour as well as all the drama which is good. I love and then also hate the characters, they can be your fav one minute then the next the plot changes and turns you to like somebody else! ex: Jenny goes from nice to mean to nice..But overall I'd say this is in the top 3 :D

Soap opera gone wild

Author: vikif
21 January 2014

The bad news is, it's bad. The worse news is you are going to want to watch it till the end and hate yourself for it.

There is not one bad soap opera plot twist that doesn't happen on the upper east side to this badly written characters. The "your mom is dead... but she isn't", the "your father faked his death", the "i was pregnant but lost the baby in a horrible accident", the "i'm pregnant and it's yours, but it isn't", the "the baby that was left for adoption and now is a grown man looking for his mother"....

And than there are the love affairs: Blair dated Nate, Dan and Chuck, Serena dated Dan and Nate, but once was almost raped in the kitchen by Chuck, though everyone seems to be forgetting that, Vanessa dated Nate, Dan, slept with Chuck, Jenny dated Nate, slept with Chuck, and would've date Dan but he was too Brookline for her taste, oh and also her brother, but probably no one would care since Dan and Serena got married and they share a sibling, and they were legally siblings too since their mother and father got married, also Blair and Chuck got married and Blair slept with Chuck's uncle, also Blair had a relationship with a lord who slept with his stepmother...

The only one who hasn't slept with anyone within this circle was Eric because he was the only representative of the gay community so instead he soon became irrelevant so got shipped off to Africa or whatever.

So everyone slept with everyone. Even worse everyone was IN LOVE with everyone, except for Chuck who never loved Serena, Vanessa, nor Jenny. Everyone has this dark side which they call "the old me" and nice side which is "the new me". Everyone tried to hurt everyone, and mess-up- their-life-and-leave-them-with-nothing hurt, not just you-are-ugly-and- i-slept-with-your-boyfriend hurt. Everyone can access everyone's phone because passwords are so overrated, and even if they have one, it's probably Chuck's mother's birthday. Everyone can enter everyone's home and of course listen to the most compromising conversations so that everyone gets caught in the most compromising positions... and they get away with it.

And in the end, no, it doesn't make sense that Dan is gossip girl. It doesn't make sense that any one of them is gossip girl, because gossip girl, almighty as she is, posted stuff in the worse moments for every character. Dan included. So why would he do that to himself? Just to be in isn't enough cause because of some of those posts he was actually out.

In the last season you can't tell the difference between the characters like in the beginning. There isn't anything that everyone didn't do. Also they don't even mention school although they are supposedly still in college.

The only reason to watch it till the end is to find out who is Gossip Girl (it's Dan) and who ends up with whom (Dan with Serena, Chuck with Blair, no surprises here). And I can't believe this scored this high on IMDb.

Gossip Girl - The only thing to gossip about is how bad this show is.

Author: Frida Ahlberg from Sweden
4 July 2011

There's only one good thing about this show and that's how good looking the male actors are; Penn Badgley, Chace Crawford and Ed Westwick.

But it ends there, because frankly, good looks aren't enough to save the feeble plots and the horrendous acting that is Gossip Girl.

It's about the rich kids of the Upper East side and how they have problems that are impossible to relate to and how they're in love with a new person each week. I hear things like: Serena is in love with Dan and Serena is best friends with Blair. But you don't really feel any connection between the characters at all. Instead we see their feverish endeavors to become wealthier and climb the social ladder.

I watched Gossip Girl a little bit into season 2 when, it seems, the writers thought it would be good idea to recycle their plot lines and the story lines repented. And so it went on until I couldn't fathom the show, not even to look at the pretty boys.

If there's absolutely nothing better to watch than Gossip Girl, then I suggest you turn of your TV and look at the ceiling. You'll enjoy it more.

Bad Directors

Author: Dirty Hand from United States
11 October 2014

This Series is bad and so the terrible directors, unrealistic , a way way too much drama , Religious ethics, unrealistic responses , like when Ivy stole CeCe money , i mean in real the victims would call cops instead of seating Ruining , georgina bad actions? i mean directors make this series so bad with their terrible ideas? also #1 of things i hate in series? --It's always (100%) when good thing will happen? bad things come to intercept this..? like serena engagement? dan, serena elevator S06E06? chuck mother run away? Bart Bass throw his son? -***- ALso the directors didn't think about making new episode? Like when Bart die they make 100% they died , but make him come back so fast without explanation , When Ivy dickens leave the hospital she told Rufus Humphrey that's she the artist not max,? and Rufus was trying to tell lily!! , but after she back he didn't notice thats? or just forget? haha , Also why didn't lola give his money to someone who #1 Enemy to her family and lola mother? see? unrealistic this bad things in series , make is wondering why the directors can make better series without unreal*things? xoxo gossipgirl !@#$% Mismatched Story , Gossip Girl Is Dan? I'm pretty sure the directors just think in this in the last episode , because the unmatched story, and all good? no one angry? just like this to the one who destroyed their lives? , and how the Psychopath would marry serena? A bad directors who make the series is incredible awful.

Complete moral disgust

Author: krispice from Canada
6 December 2013

I am completely blown away that this book series (and show) target teenagers. From just watching the first few episodes I grasp the underlying moral message is that anything goes. This is especially apparent in the scene where Chuck is basically sexually assaulting and trying to rape Dan's sister. Sure, the brother came to save the day and punched him in the face, but then they all shrug it off as though it was the norm, "Oh, Chuck, you're such a pervert." What a horrible message to send our young nation, male or female alike. I just can't believe that this show is allowed to air. When did it become OK to send the message that sexual assault or rape amongst teens is just another day in teenage hood? Not only that, the girls are wearing lingerie in sex scenes...How has this become appropriate for teenagers to watch? I am so offended and completely revolted by this shallow, moral-mess of a teenage series.

NOT watching this show has made my life genuinely BETTER

Author: Impenetrable-to-Pain from Romania
21 February 2012

I always have been a proud fan of Chair, no matter what. I dreamt of a perfect 100th episode for MY pair. And than, as you know, the writers made fun of us, purposely trying to mock our feelings...

So, I told myself: now or never. Give up, stop watching. It was not a revengeful decision, to punish the writers & co. It is that I can't stand to see Dair together and Chuck treated like a fool. I also watch VD, I totally LOVE Delena and although it upsets me to see them apart, I keep watching because it has more than ONE storyline so it's fun, entertaining to watch it.

Of course, I didn't give up on my hope that things will get better! I still check the sites and all the news sadden me. Than I think that would be worse for me to heighten their ratings and watch something that deeply annoys and frustrate me. I am 3 weeks later, and I feel better.

Surprisingly, for a fan who tuned it almost every week in the last 5 years, giving up on this show is relieving. I prefer to remember what I liked about it, not to give up when it will get that bad that I couldn't stand it even a bit. I loved this show, adored it. Hating it is not my goal- I bought the last seasons on DVD and I want to be able to watch and enjoy them.

I congratulate Dair fans. You have them now, but I just can't stop think that is GG. As long as Chuck is single, don't hope for to much. GG disappointed Chair's, they may do the same things to you. Not that I wish this. Really not. I hope that at least part of us will be HAPPY with what happens in this show, not for 5-6 episodes or something... I dream about an acceptable ending with Dair perfectly happy, Chuck and Serena coupled with other persons & co. I won't be pleased, but it's an alternative to letting everyone in misery...

Cheers!

Thoughts

Author: allyson-munger from United States
11 February 2012

I love this show!!!I just got finished with Season 4 on Netflix, and am patiently waiting for Season 5! It is a wonderful escape show for me, and it got better and better the more I watched it! Chuck Bass I would say is the best actor in that show! Wonderful job with the voice tonation, and you just grow to love him! At first I thought he was an evil brat, but there were reasons for him to act that way. He has a smoking hot evil aloofness. Blair is an excellent match for him, and I always cheer when the two of them get back together!! Serena is beautiful, but what a dingbat!! She cant decide which sock to put on first! Jenny Humphrey makes me cringe, with that bleached out hair, and whiny voice and evilness beyond repair. Dan Humphrey gets a little old also, for such a do gooder, hes sure slept with enough women! Rufus Humphrey is too emasculated. Lily Humphrey is just too dry. Dorota is a pleasure!!! So is Blairs mother, and her little hubby!!! I did like the little french girl that Chuck was with! He was so in love with her, she was the only one besides Blair that he should be with.

Eh

Author: Alyson Cuoco
28 September 2014

Great at the beginning. First season starts off great focusing mainly on "the new Serena" and her relationship with Dan. All the characters are very likable, even the "mean girls". As the season goes on and every single couple is having a "will they, won't they" relationship, you kind of start to lose interest. As you start to see new levels of the characters, such as Jenny and Serena, that are really annoying and unrealistic, I felt less connected to their feelings and relationships. But, everyone will still be friends and still fall in love, even after all the stupid stuff they did. I feel like the show should have been more focused on the characters changing into better people and learning new things, along with having nice relationships so that the viewer will care more about the characters. In my opinion, don't even bother.

Honest Rant by the Young at Heart

Author: ohmedk from United Arab Emirates
13 December 2012

This show lacks depth and a continuous purpose, "who is gossip girl?" was an ongoing theme that mattered, but it doesn't seem to be significant in the story line anymore....there's no real sense of true love, the chuck bass and blair romance isn't strong enough....the show's only note worthy merit lies in its avant garde fashion choices and that by no means is enough to carry a show for 6 seasons. I can't figure out how this show lasted 6 seasons. Now...I'll tell u y they lasted for 6 seasons...season 1 and 2 created this hype of a great show, this slowly deteriorated, the same aura that surrounded shows like desperate housewives, grey's anatomy, ugly betty, lost, all shows that came out around the same period.....the hype around these shows over the first few seasons created enough momentum to carry them through to the end....also, everyone watches it because they think everyone's watching it, its become a "relevant show"....its like the story of the emperor's new robes

Page 2 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]