IMDb > "Gossip Girl" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Gossip Girl"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Gossip Girl" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Do. NOT. Watch. This. Thing.

Author: cj_black65 from Romania
18 February 2009

I cannot believe some people actually watch this. No, seriously. I can't believe it. Let me make this clear - I'm not (and I repeat, NOT) trying to offend anyone who likes this...ummm...show. I just don't understand how someone CAN.

I've been through a lot of bad movies and shows but never, in my entire life, have I seen anything as distasteful as this. What's wrong with this show, you ask? Everything. No, really - I mean it. There isn't a single good thing to say about this...thing. I've watched half of a season (but only the first few minutes of the pilot voluntarily), and I can safely say I do not wish to ever see or hear about this ever again. It's BAD.

First of all, it has no plot whatsoever. A variety of clichéd, over-dramatized things happen throughout the thing but overall, there is no consistent story going on. If you ever had to forcefully watch a telenovela (soap opera) when you were 8 years old and your parents made you stay at your grandma's in the weekend, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. The only difference between Gossip Girl and a telenovela is the age of the characters.

And that brings me to the next point - the characters. Oh. My. God. I have never, in my life, seen such horribly clichéd and flat and boring characters. They're all the same, with minor, almost unnoticeable differences. We have Serene what's-her-name, bad girl gone good, who's the very definition of the drama-queening, woe-is-me spoiled rich girl from Upper Manhattan. This...creature, along with her lovesick puppy boyfriend Dan, basically go in and out of their relationship throughout the entire thing. She spends half of the episodes wallowing in self pity because life is being oh-so-cruel to her. And it's even worse when she's not wallowing in self pity. Trust me, you do NOT want to hear this girl laugh. I have no idea whether the character was really intended to be this awful, or Blake Lively simply can't act. But all in all, Serene or Serena or whatever her name is easily wins the award for worst character ever.

Then, we have Blair, the best friend. Now Blair isn't half as bad as said best friend, in the sense that she actually has a personality. Sure, she's annoying sometimes, obsessive, narcissist and spoiled, but she's far more likable than aforementioned Serena. Once you've seen the pair on screen, you'll almost love seeing annoying Blair just so you won't have to look at the other one and hear her idiotic lines. Blair is almost interesting when paired up to a Chuck-something. Sure, we've all grown bored of the oh-so-clichéd "Cruel Intentions" storyline, but at least there's no oversickening romance here. Which is an extremely refreshing change, once you've watched Gossip Girl for more than 5 minutes.

The rest of the characters include lovesick puppy Dan and his unbearably dumb sister, playboy Nick or whatever his name is, who literally has no purpose on this show other than making out with the entire female cast, Blair's worshippy fanclubs and the oh-so-troubled parents of Serene and Dan, who are actually in love but can't be together because Serene and Dan are (isn't that just a tad disturbing to you? It is to me).

So the characters are awful and there is no plot. And boy, that's not even the beginning of it. This show is for stupid people - and by that, I do not mean that people who watch this show are stupid. I am not trying to imply such a thing. But after every episode of this abomination (to quote the person who commented before me (and made a spiffing job of it, might I add)), I could feel my IQ dropping a few points. Or at least I hope there were only a few.

If you've never watched this show or read what I can only assume is a series of sickening books, even if your friends have told you just how cool this show is - please, I'm begging you, do NOT watch it. This thing doesn't deserve an audience. Go to the nearest video rental store and get yourself a good movie.

Not to be taken serious, strangely addictive

Author: Yade Shade from Netherlands
24 June 2011

I may like the show just as much as it irritates the hell out of me. To be honest I don't really know what I do like about it.

The way the storyline is written is flat out ridicules. The main characters especially Serena, Nate, Dan and Vanessa, fall in and out of love at any second. The most dumb lies are believed. And minds are changed by the flick of the wrist. Nobody can be trusted, they all screw each other (physically and mentally) they believe the most obvious lies that are being told (I know I said it already, but it's ridiculous!) And some people get away with everything and anything! Mostly Serena and Blair of course.

And still I can't hate it. It's a show you need to watch and don't think. Seriously, do NOT try too figure out if there is any realism in it... because there isn't any.

And don't get me started on the fashion and riches, but that's a personal thing. It's not for me, so I can only think: The poor people who have too wear those horrible outfits and pretend to be so awful.

Verdict: This show is pretty bad, but strangely addictive.

A "signature show" that showcases lack of talent and viewership

Author: Vernon T. Weiss from United States
4 March 2008

So CW has just renewed Gossip Girl, hyping it as one of its "signature show".

That action begs for the question "are they insane?" to be asked.

Gossip Girl is a really bad show, based on a flimsy premise that may have been enough to support a movie, but is just obnoxious as a series.

Predictably, audiences have decided to stay away from Gossip Girl in droves, which indirectly led to CW firing a bunch of its staffers.

But where is the justice, I ask, when the staffers are fired and the bad actors, producers and writers that brought Gossip Girl to the screen are rewarded by one more season of being paid to make more low-rated drivel? It just boggles the mind... in a big way.

One of very few teen shows I will watch - and like

Author: love_99_104 from Canada
14 August 2008

I don't watch a lot of television and when I do the last thing I watch are teen dramas, but Gossip Girl is the one show that I will admit to watching and loving.

The characters are interesting, and so are the situations they get into. The script is witty and full of sarcasm. The characters are gorgeous. But the show also touches on a lot of things that happen in real life: Eating Disorders, Partying, Drugs, Drinking, Sex. All of it happens.

That being said about the show, I CANNOT stand the books. I read the first one and that was more than enough for me. The characters in the book seem very one dimensional, whereas the characters on the show have personality.

I think the television show is great, and that you can't compare the show and the book. The show or movie is always going to be different from the book. Sometimes the movie/ show is better than the book and sometimes it isn't.

In this case though, the show is better. :)

A guilty pleasure that brings you a touch of upper east side!

Author: Korina IheartLove from Croatia
20 July 2010

I watched this show first time few months ago when airing started in Croatia. I got hooked. It's a guilty pleasure. You have that sorta glamor and that little over the top drama. It has so many twists and turns, you can try to guess what will happen next, but you never know. In one moment you can hate one character because of something, and in the other moment that one is great, but someone else is now the one you should hate. Season Finale of Season 1 airs tomorrow in Croatia. Me and my best friend, we always watch Gossip Girl while texting each other. It's a great show for all the ones that love the guilty pleasure kind of shows. I think a guilty pleasure show is a show where there is a lots of drama and you get hooked easily, and you can't stop following it.

Another boring romance orientated show about the rich....

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
16 July 2009

I don't want to offend people...But this just seems to be simply about the 'Rich White Kids'.

I enjoyed The OC as it revolved around mostly Ryan Atwood, a urban street kid who finds himself ambushed by the rich people of Orange County...And One Tree Hill is just great because of the range of characters..But this Gossip Girl is just boring...

My cousin is a huge Gossip Girl fan and I ended up watching ten minutes...I laughed until my ribs began to severely ache.

The characters are two-dimensional, and the actors can't act to save their life...And the actor who plays the 'Bad-Boy'....Chuck....He looks drunk half the time...

I guess I can see the attraction, 'romance/filthy rich/scandals'...But it just doesn't work...The plus side is the actress who plays the lead...Blake Lively. But after ten minutes even she cannot hold it together...

Definitely one to avoid...

could have been better !

Author: mike k from United Arab Emirates
24 January 2009

gossip girl follows a good storyline, with a definitely above average cast. however there are certain things about the show that one just cant digest .. for a start , actors in mid 20's just cannot be portrayed as 17-18 year olds ... would have been better if they were shown as college students, and not in high school .. also in a lot of episodes, one character kisses another .. and then someone else in the following episode .. and then someone else .. and breaks up .. and makes up with no real logic or sense .. eg. nate has kissed every female character in GG except lilly .. some childish girly stuff could also have been avoided like the "scandalous" texts sent to 'gossip girl' every now and then .. its got potential but right now its way too similar to 90210 and the likes .. kinda immature teeny drama .. hope it gets better, lots of GG bashers around !!

Lifestyles of the rich and the famous. Why would someone bother?

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
26 July 2009

First of all, this show is extremely clichéd in every single aspect. The characters are spoiled brats that have an easy life that deals with economic benefits, partying all the time, and love interests. Also, their main conflicts happen when "someone" or "something" doesn't behave or happen according to the unwritten rules of popularity or social conventionalism.

We've all seen that before right? The situations will remind you of "The O.C." and those kind of shows. So, why would I even bother commenting about this show?

Well, as much as I hate the characters and clichéd situations; some of them are actually entertaining because you don't even have to use your brain. What do I mean? this is mindless entertainment not to be taken seriously. It's like watching the rich people's life and commenting about it.

As a male, I watched it only because of the gorgeous Leighton Meester and the super sexy blonde with the best legs in the business, Blake Lively.

Give it a chance only for it's production values. The direction and soundtrack is remarkable.

This show should be popular in some years... it's just not very appreciated.

Great Wardrobe,Good Looks,Mediocre Acting

Author: Mandy Acklen from Malaysia
13 February 2009

I would have to agree that this show is totally over-hyped mainly because it was based on a best selling series ala the Twilight saga-turned- movie franchise. As best as the writers try to entice audiences with the convoluting plots and supposedly thickening suspenseful drama from week to week, the show has failed to keep the book's original storyline and the characters are not much what the book had depicted them to be. It is because teen-aged girls and fashion savvy women make up the audience which makes the show very popular. Its varying fashion pieces from episode to episode makes it worth watching and also thanks to its beautiful actors that compensate for a show that's almost devoid of quality. In the acting department, most of them rely on the script and their looks, showing not more than bland expressions throughout the season and sometimes looking as though they're reciting than really acting out a range of emotions. I should be a little benign to the actress who plays Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester) because I felt she was the only one who could brilliantly capture her character best and was able to deliver most of her lines memorably. So I beg the question, should you watch the show? Personally, yes if you are missing entertainment from your life and no, if you already have sufficient drama in yours.

A Guilty Pleasure

Author: acciocaitlin
3 October 2010

Obviously, Gossip Girl will not be winning any awards for its script or acting any time soon. The dialogue is clunky, the plot unrealistic and predictable and the acting is, at times, painful to watch. However, Gossip Girl doesn't try to succeed in any of these areas. What it does try to do, and what it completely succeeds at, is entertaining the viewer.

I absolutely love watching Gossip Girl. It's addictive. I need to know what's going to happen next, who's dating who, what scandal will Gossip Girl uncover next. It is plainly an addictive show! I'm only midway through Season 1, yet I can already say I am obsessed with this show.

Many of the actors (I'm looking at you, Chace Crawford) are hilariously bad, their stiff performances almost unbearable. I also find Serena and Nate to be incredibly bland, one-dimensional characters. However, I find Blair, Chuck and Jenny very interesting to watch. Penn Badgley as Dan Humprey surprised me with his very fair acting abilities. Though many of the plots are very dry and predictable, just as many story lines are redeeming with their suspense and creativity.

Gossip Girl is not a technically fabulous show. What it is, however, is enjoyable, and this is why it has won over so many viewers. Cast aside your preconceptions about this show and you will find yourself enjoying it.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]