IMDb > Eight Below (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Wonderful, Enjoyable Family Movie

Author: armaniroma from Minneapolis, Minnesota
11 February 2006

Where do I start? Throughout the movie I couldn't help think about the great dog training. The Huskies were all wonderful and the stars of the movie. I realize that Eight Below is inspired by a true story, but the movie is well written and the story hands together from beginning to end. By the way, my wife and I have two Huskies. We were both teary eyed through much of the movie as were other movie goers. But you don't have to have Huskies or dogs as pets to enjoy this movie. No gratuitous sex or violence, no profanity, but a heart tugging story of survival against all odds. The scenery was beautiful to experience on the big screen, the acting is good and this is a great movie for the entire family. I can't wait to see the movie again. It's a wonderful, clean, wholesome family movie.

AMAZING STORY....one of the best of the year

Author: Kaelyn (moonlightprincess-1) from United States
27 February 2006

Just getting back from seeing 8 below, i am completely blown away by several elements. Firstly, right away you get glimpes of STUNNING scenery that continue throughout the whole film. Beautiful artic landscapes frame the main story line and on the big screen, it really takes your breath away. The movie also is really able to give anyone an idea of what its like to be in the artic, and really gave a clear picture of what being an explorer was like. This added to the appeal of the movie, because its not something most of us get to experience. Although the acting has been in some cases been criticized, I believe the actors fulfilled their purpose within the movie. They were able to play their roles, without distracting from the dogs, which of course, is the most important part. Paul Walker clearly comes across as a strong animal lover, and displays this well. He becomes relatable to any animal lovers, who will utimatly love this movie. As for the others, the fulfilled their jobs, which is what matters. The character of "Cooper" gave great comic relief, and "Katie" acted out the predicable love story line well. But of course, the most important aspect of this movie was the dogs. I can hardly even begin to describe what a wonderful job they did. The tricks preformed (as a dog lover and trainer) were some with great difficulty. Ultimately, the way the dogs interact with each other and are so compassionate, you really connect with them. The only way to really experience this is to GO. the movie is AMAZING and a wonderful family film. Although a part or two may be slightly scary, its still an amazing picture for ALL to enjoy, it completely blew all of us a way.

Surprisingly good

Author: Chuck-156 from Philadelphia
18 February 2006

I went begrudgingly to see this film with my daughter. It was not on my list of films to see but she insisted. Knowing that it was a Disney product only made me dread it more. The schlock they try to pass off as good films these days is ridiculous. The only up-side I could see was the director, Frank Marshall. He has produced some of my favorite films. Let's see what he can do behind the camera.

Pleasantly surprised I think is a good term for my reaction. Although the film was about 20 minutes too long, it did sustain the action and drama all the way through. I knew the basics of the story: a team at a base in Antartica must evacuate and cannot take the sled dogs with them. Winter sets in and the dogs are forced to survive on their own in the brutal cold for months.

The dogs are very entertaining and their scenes with the science team are warm and amusing, even thrilling. Where I expected the film to fail was after the humans and dogs separate. Amazingly though, this is where the Mr. Marshall seemed to kick it into gear. Watching the opposing scenes unfold of the guilt-ridden Paul Walker frantically trying to find anyone to help him get back down to the Antartic, interlaced with the Huskies who are struggling through the rough winter, scrounging for food and defending each other from predators, was very emotional.

While the film is a grade A survival pic, I hadn't expected it to be such a tear-jerker. Be forewarned. Although the human performances (Paul Walker, Bruce Greenwood and the necessary romantic lead, Moon Bloodgood) were mediocre at best, the canine actors really do steal your heart.

No Oscar material here, but as far as family films go these days, this one is above par. Grade: B

It's about the dogs.

Author: PWNYCNY from United States
15 March 2006

The acting in this movie is weak. Now that I got that out of the way, let me tell you why this film is worth watching: the outdoor photography and the dogs. This movie contains some of the most impressive outdoor cinematography that one can hope or expect to see in a Hollywood movie. This movie shows the awesome and forbidding beauty of icebergs, ice flows and glacier-covered mountains. Compared to these magnificent edifices of nature, man is rendered almost utterly insignificant, a mere dot in a wilderness of ice that is almost endless. Indeed, the scenery is spectacular. That's one interesting part of the movie. But the main part of the movie are the dogs - eight of them. This movie offers a wonderful story about eight brave and stalwart creatures that are determined to survive in the polar wilderness. Having been abandoned by their owner, the dogs must fend for themselves, and they do so, by staying together, working as a team, looking out for each other and caring for each other. They set an example for us humans to follow. That's why this is a movie that's not about us, but about those wonderful dogs.

Fun filled heartwarming story for all ages

Author: diabloc4 from United States
20 February 2006

Beautifully orchestrated spin off of the movie Antartica which was done in 1983. I thought the photography was great and the terrain that was shown for the locations is much like the Antarctic.

What made the movie extra special for me was the fact that I wintered over in the Antarctic in 1958 and was there when the Japanese came back to the Showa Base and found the 2 dogs that had survived the past 12 months. Very incredible and heartwarming story. There is a monument to the dog team in the form of statues at the base of the Tokyo Tower to honor them. I was fortunate to see it in 1992.

The dogs in Eight Below were so well trained and you form an immediate bond with them. The movie can be seen and enjoyed by all ages. A must have for my film library.

Must see adventure for all ages

Author: kamac914 from United States
19 February 2006

Saw this movie last night and I must say it is a terrific flick. I don't feel that the leopard seal scene would bother small children at all. My 5 and 7 year olds loved the movie and there is MUCH worse content in children's TV programming every day. By all means take the kids and enjoy. (and bring the Kleenex!!) While Paul Walker's acting isn't the greatest, Ben Affleck has gotten by somehow, hasn't he? Besides the real stars of this movie are obviously the dogs. The dogs in question seem to be portrayed as huskies, but it is obvious that at least a few of them are actually Alaskan Malamutes. Maya, who is the most heroic of the group, and almost certainly a Malamute, should get some kind of canine Oscar for a heart-rending performance. If you are a dog lover, or if you just long for a great adventure movie, by all means go see "Eight Below".

Wonderful moving movie for dog lovers of all ages

Author: jbs3005 from United States
19 February 2006

Believe it or not I took my 22 month old granddaughter to see this movie while my older children were viewing another movie, I was so happy when she spent the entire 120 minutes engrossed in this film! I found myself in awe of the filmmakers who captured such beautiful pictures. The dogs were wonderful and the movie inspired me to research the true story. Which I found out actually happened in 1958 and they were Japanese explorers. The dogs who survived are actually heroes in Japan with statues to commend them! Even though I hate the cold...a trip there to see the beauty would be on my list if I were rich! Take a Kleenex or two because this move is sure to it draw a few tears. Excellent film for dog lovers, adventurers, dreamers or just those who love the beauty in nature!

A throw back to the Disney adventure films of old

Author: dspeas from United States
20 February 2006

This film is one that I found I could sit back and enjoy the scenery, the stark beauty of the Antartic, and the personalities of the dogs and humans.

I do wolf education with my husky-wolf mix and it was exciting to see the dogs use their strong senses to survive in the harsh land. Their loyalty to the family mirrored that of a wild wolf pack and showed where the intelligence of domestic dogs was honed and refined in the long ago battles of survival.

Huskies and Malemutes look at home in that element because they were bred to work and survive in like conditions. These two near primitives could really do what these actors did and survive. It was refreshing to me to see humans show the same dedication and love for the dogs that dogs give to their human family members every day. It would be hard for actors to really be able to show all that those of us who treasure our dogs would feel if we had to leave them behind but he did a credible job.

I am glad to have been able to see this movie and I enjoyed it every bit as much as I did IRON WILL and his huskies.

The Dogs Stole the Movie!

Author: surferchicky92 from United States
25 February 2006

I am a huge dog freak, so I was looking forward to this movie already to begin with. But I didn't expect it to be so touching. it's not just about sled dogs in Antartica, it's about survival, and the bond a person has with their dogs.

While the actors did well in the movie, the best performances in the movie came from the dogs, hands down. I know that makes me sound pretty crazy, but when you see this movie, you know it's true. This is an awesome movie for all ages. I went to go see it with my 20 and 30 year old friends, and this is now one of their favorite movies of all time (besides Dirty Dancing). I say this is a great movie for the whole family!

Fun heartwarming film about a dog sled team abandoned in Antarctica.

Author: smok1227 from salem ma
19 February 2006

I just returned from seeing Eight Below with my nine year old son. If you love animals this movie was very enjoyable.The story is about a guide in Antarctica who has to bring a scientist on an expedition by means of a dog sled team.Things get a bit hairy and the weather does not cooperate and eventually the dogs are left behind. The guide reluctantly leaves the dogs with a promise to return. The return becomes nearly impossible because of extreme weather conditions.

You can't help but fall in love with these beautiful dogs. Throughout the movie they fight for their survival while exhibiting team work and compassion for each other.It is almost impossible to hold back the tears while watching the way these wonderful dogs care for one another. The rest of the plot is almost unimportant, other than the fact that the owner of the sled dogs obviously has tremendous love for his loyal and hard working dogs. The film sort of splits into two separate story lines, the dogs alone in Antarctica fighting to survive,and the main human character trying to get back to save the dogs.I would strongly recommend this movie. If your kids are under six I might use caution,as one scene is pretty scary. It's a fun little story that might help a child develop some compassion for animals.

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]