IMDb > The Almost Guys (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Almost Guys More at IMDbPro »

Really enjoyed it...

Author: Waldo-11 from California
10 April 2005

Endearing characters, good relationships, funny twists. Just shows what's possible in film without needing huge special effects in every scene. Robert Culp's performance is subtle and hilarious. The kid actor gives an amazing, non bad-actor- kid nuanced performance. Eric Fleming did an amazing job not only starring in this thing, but writing and directing it as well. Usually this is a recipe for disaster-- in independent film it's almost guaranteed to be a narcissistic, "me me me" suck-fest, but somehow-- miraculously-- Eric manages to create a film that is not all about him- it's about an ad hoc and unlikely *family* that emerges from absurd and very funny circumstances.

Great comic sensibility. Great ensemble. Oh, and I should also give props to Shawnee Smith... she's great in everything.

If you're lucky enough to have this film comes to your town, definitely check it out. It's the kind of movie you can show someone who's never seen an independent film before, because it's a great example of what can be done with a small budget and big talent.

The Most Fun You Can Have Watching a Movie

Author: destinomedia from Pittsburgh
19 October 2004

This movie is so much fun to watch. I find myself wanting to watch again and again for the laughs and the tugs on my heart strings.

Eric Fleming has done a beautiful job making an action adventure comedy pay off big time in terms of characterization. The Almost Guys is a cool, absolute gem of genres that bounces from the old amusing 'road movies' to action and surprising, touching drama. Veteran Robert Culp is delicious in this sleeper full of talented and versatile newcomers. One reason this refreshing movie sparkles is Pietro Arpesella. His knuckle ball portrayal of the disenfranchised and disillusioned Massimo 2 is reminiscent of Pacino's 'fed up' Sonny Wortzik in Dog Day Afternoon and that just adds to the movie's strengths. For anyone who always wants a genuine plot in a movie, you've got one here and it makes being entertained great fun. The Almost Guys is super screen chemistry all the way through. If you like lots of different funny but not cheesy lines see this film, then see it again.

If you liked BOTTLE ROCKET...

Author: thebooper from United States
7 July 2005

You will love THE ALMOST GUYS. It's a fun, straightforward buddy adventure film, in which the buddies aren't quite up to the adventure. Eric Fleming is extremely likable as a repo man who is in no way a success, but is truly doing his best to be a good father to his son (played splendidly by Oliver Davis). Robert Culp is the perfect curmudgeonly sidekick. When the luckless repo men decide to carry out a kidnapping that someone else started, all hell breaks loose.

The movie is muscle cars, motels, money, and figuring out what's really important.

It's been a long while since I've seen a movie as touching, which made me laugh- out-loud at the same time.

A good surprise.

Author: sondra from United States
28 March 2005

After 2 hours on the road, we were tired, hungry and 15 minutes late as we entered the dark theatre. We quietly shuffled into seats at the back and settled in for what looked like one of those comedic "journey" stories - you know, where the main character has to go on a physical journey, enduring all kinds of fantastic situations, in order to effect change. Ugh.

But then something wonderful happened. Characters transcended, relationships were built and I found myself laughing at the funny parts!

Eric Fleming writes, directs and stars in a story that isn't exactly what it appears to be. Yes, this is a feel-good movie, yes, the main character grows, but things don't turn out the way you'd expect. Plot twists take the viewer for a joy ride and some serious character development brings to life a cast of lovable "almost guys" who keep us rooted in reality amidst the seeming chaos.

The film succeeds best in the tender moments between "Rick" and his son, "Buddy". Rick may not be the most responsible dad, but his honesty and sincerity come through admirably. Shawnee Smith lends her unique personality to the film in an enjoyable performance. And ... oh, the cars! Car lovers, there are some awesome vintage vehicles in this film.

Excellent, Fun Movie

Author: Hislady07 from Jacksonville, FL
23 May 2005

Just had the pleasure of seeing the film at Jax Film Fest - - was a breath of fresh air among some of the other films there. Production quality was excellent, story great. Was particularly impressed with the handling of the father/son relationship - very natural, without all of the sassy kid back talk garbage you see these days. The interplay between all of the characters was excellent as well, with a motel room scene really giving you the feeling that this bunch were having a blast telling this story together. A little too much language for some to call it a "family film", but again, great story with very likable characters (and GORGEOUS cars - boy do I miss the days of muscle!) Hope it is released soon so I can see it again!

Author: hdd from West Palm Beach, FL
28 April 2005

I volunteer each year to help with the Palm Beach International Film Festival. One of the drawbacks is that my responsibilities keep me from seeing any of the films play in front of live audiences. One of the benefits is that, after the festival is over, I get to borrow "screeners" to watch the films at home. Some are just so-so, but once in a while a really polished gem shines through.

One of the best feature films I've seen in a long time is an independent film by a young writer/director named Eric Fleming. The name of the film is "The Almost Guys". It hasn't been distributed yet, but is expected to open in Florida in theaters in the near future. It's smart, funny and perfectly balanced. I loved the story, the characters, the acting, the camera work, the editing...everything about it. "The Almost Guys" is a story about a down-on-his-luck repo man (Eric Fleming) and his 73 year-old partner (Robert Culp) who find a major league pitcher (James Edson) bound and gagged in the trunk of a car that they repo. The World Series is three days away.

This movie has everything going for it. It's a buddy movie, an action flick, a side-splitting comedy and a touching father-son road trip. The cast is rounded out by Shawnee Smith, playing the pitcher's ex-wife (you might remember her from "Becker"), and Oliver Davis as the repo man's 12-year-old son.

Put it on your must-see list. Put it on your Netflix.com list. You'll be glad you did. Take a look at the trailer at www.thealmostguys.com. Tell your friends.

Howard

i want to see it again!

Author: sean g (sean@wellifyoucant.com) from United States
12 April 2005

i saw this flick at the phoenix film festival and automatically liked it. then as a few days went by i realized i loved it. especially when i was at a hotel and i came face to face with the bed spread. its a charming story with good humor. there's action comedy, romance... and if it were 15% less funny, i'd still love it. i got the chance to meet the director, producer, and co-star. they were fantastic people, and i wanted to say that the brief conversation we had actually inspired me to finish my film. working on it now. if this show is playing at any festival near you, it'd be worth it to spend the x-amount of cash just to see this film (and you might as well sneak in a few more) but i'm just saying, i wouldn't miss it.

-sean

A funny ride of a movie!

Author: amylyn-1 from Jacksonville
31 May 2005

A Karmic Kidnapping.

We reviewed "The Almost Guys" at the Jacksonville Film Festival (May 2005).

In a packed Florida Theatre we laughed along with everyone at this mis-adventure of two repo men. The action was realistic. And throughout it even surprises you you with drama and heart. You can't help but feel compassion for the main character and his crummy situation and cheer him on.

"The Almost Guys" has something for everyone. If it wasn't for some strong language, we believe that it could sell to younger teenagers as well as adults. That would be my only suggestion to improve or give the film more exposure.

Overall, the quality acting and editing produced a fast-paced funny ride of a movie!

"Almost Guys" finds it's way to the heart.

Author: Don Hale III (dhale@armadillowillys.com) from San Jose, CA
24 March 2005

From the first scenes of Eric Fleming's "The Almost Guys," we are treated to a comedy that while following some old formulas, never once feels old itself. The humor and wit, the sensitivity and warmth, all have their place in the mix. From moments of rolling on the floor laughter to tear heart felt talks between a father and son, this film has got the date market sewn up. It's all guy-flick, and all chick-flick all at the same time. Bravo! Robert Culp is a hoot, as usual. With a part written so that he could use that 'ol Culp magic, Robert hasn't been funnier in years. The young man playing Flemings son in the film is a treat. Most young people, IMHO, can't seem to act but, rather they react and that's just not the same thing. This young man has a bright future ahead of him in the film industry. Indeed, everyone in the film does a wonderful job. No part goes to waste, and there's never a dull moment. If you get a chance to see this film, do it.

unexpected fun

Author: robin-280 from San Jose, California
11 March 2005

saw this film at the San Jose Cinequest film festival last night... wasn't sure what to expect from the festival catalog (another genre/period parody?), but i was laughing within the first few minutes... the cast is almost uniformly terrific with nicely nuanced performances, and props to Robert Culp who plays a wonderfully aged comedic extension of his younger self... shot in 35mm, the whole production is clearly the work of professionals (a fun past-time at Cinequest is counting the times a boom or shadow enters the shot or the crew shows in in the reflections... maybe the story was so compelling i didn't notice, but except for one brief moment in the desert, the DP earned their check (smile)... could benefit from a bit of trimming during the last 40 minutes, but the film is written right up to the end, and doesn't simply run out of steam... The Almost Guys is Definite Fun!