IMDb > "Garth Marenghi's Darkplace" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Garth Marenghi's Darkplace"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Garth Marenghi's Darkplace" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A different, inventive and, most importantly, hilarious comedy. Shows there is still hope for TV.

Author: wierzbowskisteedman from England
7 April 2004

Hospital horror Dark Place is the creation of awful writer Garth Marenghi (Matthew Holness), who wrote, directed and starred. He claims it is deep and inspirational, when in fact it is just shoddy and awful.

Darkplace isn't joke orientated, its the terrible production and acting that provides all the laughs, that mainly come from Garth's publisher, Dean Learner (Richard Ayocade) who plays the hospital boss Thornton Reed. His inability to do two things at once when it comes to acting (for example deliver a line and hang up a phone) is hilarious to watch.

Some of the highlights include a "dirt bike" chase through a forest (using tiny children's bicycles), a doctor being attacked by a steam iron and another being chased by a possessed stapler, a woman turning into broccoli and Dean Learner trying to justify how he punched a child actor. However, you have to see it to realize how funny it really is, my words can't do enough.

Darkplace won't appeal to everyone's tastes, but still it looks like it will probably be a cult hit. If its ever repeated, its worth a look just to see what you think. It provides a refreshing change from awful reality TV and soap operas.

I, for one, can't wait for the DVD and/or a second batch of episodes "from the Channel 4 vaults". I give it a solid 10/10.

The BEST COMEDY since The Office

Author: englandfan66_1985 from England
14 February 2004

"In the 1980's the horror writing genius and self confessed "sooth" Garth Marenghi penned a ground-breaking series of tele-plays. Of the 64 episodes written, only 50 managed to make it into production during the two-month filming. Marenghi's aim was simple: "To change the evolutionary course of mankind over a series of half-hour episodes". However, Merenghi claims that his series was too ground-breaking, and too shocking for the public, and for the past twenty years direct government intervention prevented the shows from ever seeing the light of day. That is, until now. Channel 4 (and E4) are now for the first time running six episodes from the series, and Garth Marenghi has said he is willing to be personally held accountable to God for the consequences."

Garth Marenghi's Dark Place is a spoof of all horror films, tv and action tv from the 80's. Its set up as if the series was made in the 80's and was banned and is now eventually being shown. Throughout the episodes we get to see the cast and crew's comments on the episode's scenes. This is the best comedy since the office.

9/10 (and I've only seen 3 episodes from the first series so far)

"the pube on the pipe idea came from a real life situation" Garth Marenghi

what they said

Author: Sarah-60 from United Kingdom
12 February 2004

glad to see here that I'm not the only one already hooked after just 3 episodes.

I've tried to explain to people why they must watch it, but the only way they will understand is to watch it!

Its hilarious: terrible acting, atrocious script, wobbly sets, appalling dubbing, and some very alarming wigs.

And lots of slow motion (well, its hard to fill a half hour slot with story all the time)

I'm looking forward to saying 'I told you so' to lots of people when they 'discover' this show in 6 months!

I bloody dare you!

Author: cjlewis86 from Bournemouth, England
27 April 2004

All hail Garth Marenghi (Matthew Holness), his creation "Darkplace" is true comic genius. In my estimation it is right up there with the likes of "Brass Eye", "Jam", "League of Gentlemen" and "The Office".

Although this programme may not be suitable for all audiences i.e. people who don't understand or appreciate great comedy when it comes along and would rather watch "My Family". This is the ultimate for fans of contemporary comedy, shows that look to push the boundaries and limitations of the human mind.

I dare you, or maybe not you but anyone who hasn't seen Darkplace yet to watch it. It will develop you as a human being.

Oh and by the way i was hooked on Darkplace after 1 minute.

Best UK show on TV at the moment.

Author: ShadowKnuxx from England
26 February 2004

When The show 'Little Britain' ended, I felt that TV was lacking in any hilarious new comedies. Then I saw an advert for 'Garth Marenghi's Darkplace' so I decided to watch it.

Since then I've been hooked, I have never seen anything like this show before. It is truly amazing. This proves that you don't need clever scripts, great acting or impressive special effects.

Highlights for me include, Episode 4's bike chase, Episode 1's graveyard shootout and well, pretty much the entire show.

This show is pure comic genious.

I'll finish with a quote...

"She was like a candle in the wind ... unreliable"

1980's TV at its funniest

Author: richteabiscuit from UK
9 February 2004

This is a comedy spoofing the best and worst of TV from the 1980's. Garth Marenghi is a horror writer who created a show during the 1980's so deep and meaningful that the networks banished it to storage. Now in 2004 the vaults have been opened unleashing it for the world to enjoy. By taking inspiration from classic shows including "Twin Peaks" and "The A Team" a fantastic show has been created. It centers on a Hospital where the docs carry guns and fight supernatural beings. The scripts are deliberately cheesy, the editing is poor and the acting is very wooden. But that is what makes it so funny. There are even those alwful end tags popular with American shows were the main characters laugh at some rubbish joke. If you lived during the 1980's you must see this!

SINCE WHEN WERE YOU ORTHADOX, RICK?

Author: nab from United Kingdom
5 February 2004

Imagine a place between tuseday and purple - between the eighties and chest wigs. Now think back to Saphire and Steel, Deathwatch and certain episodes of Dr Who. Welcome... to Darkplace

Dodgy effects (forgivable - and amusing) and dodgy scripts (unforgivable - and hysterical) ruled the roost shamelessly and here they are aped to the max. I've only seen the first episode (as well as the 'Official' Garth Marenghi website) and I screamed in a miasmous catatony - I gaped shudderously at the incomprehousity of the spectacle - I laughed till I stopped laughing. It's looking good - and I hope it's a short run, as these things can be flogged silly.

As it stands, it is refreshingly sarcastic about nerd orientated broadcasting - and amazingly would stand as a series from the period. Whiffs of Michael Mann, William Friedkin, HP Lovecraft, Starsky & Hutch and hospital based soaps should have folk wincing and laughing till doomsday.

Plot snippets so far: the guy went axe happy in a trout farm. Nuff said.

say you were there first time round - watch it now

Author: Stephen Harding from London, England
16 February 2004

I wasn't fully sure what to expect and nearly didn't watch it at all, that would have been a mistake. Three episodes in and I'm hooked and I'm slowly working on all my friends too as it would be a shame if this slipped by without getting the audience it deserves. I was a bit concerned after the first episode that the jokes would quickly wear a bit thin but this hasn't proved to be the case. I don't think it will be everyone's cup of tea but well worth trying because if it is you're in for one of the funnier half hours of television you'll see all week.

Innovative and refreshing

Author: Chris Dillhole
5 February 2004

I watched this show with trepidation expecting it to be another hit and miss, or even plain miss, of a mini-series. I was more then pleasantly suprised when the show proved not only to be hilarious but a much needed break from the vapid 'reality' shows that have come to expunge any palatability from our viewing pleasure. The 'bad acting', or 'showing the truth' as Garth puts it, is amazingly funny. This is especially true in the character of Garth's boss and the chef (The Office's Stephan Merchant). Overall, it can tend to be a bit tedious by the end but at the moment it is hysterical and I can't wait to see where they go from here.

cool, a classic

Author: Tom Dawson (piffel) from Blyth, England
20 February 2004

This is one of the best things on tv today, if you ever get half a chance to watch it then DO!!!! so cheep it's priceless! 9 out of 10

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]