IMDb > Tiger Cruise (2004) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Tiger Cruise (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Tiger Cruise-Serious Movie

Author: degrassicutie1 (degrassicutie1@yahoo.com) from United States
17 January 2005

I've always like many Disney channel original movies, but I've got to admit, a lot of them have always been cheesy.

This movie was different. We got to see what it was like for a girl days before 9/11 and how she really needed her dad back home. It was extremely touching to see her helping little kids who were as scared as her.

Major acting chops for Hayden Panettiere! Excellent job and I see a future for her in the acting industry.

Even my brothers, who hate Disney Channel, enjoyed this movie. So did my dad! Disney needs to have more serious movies like this and maybe older kids will take them more seriously!

One of the better Disney TV movies

Author: Jenna Altringham (hayden-panettiere-ukfan) from Essex
2 November 2004

Where Disney movies have been cheesy in the past, Tiger Cruise is definitely an exception. It follows a Navy Brat's journey on a "Tiger Cruise" only days before 9/11.

I think this film really captures the emotion of a lot of people who were involved in this atrocity, and really helps people understand how hard people had to work to keep themselves calm.

It was a stunning performance by Hayden Panettiere who is a star in her own right, and her brothers acting was on par to hers. I would like this film to be shown on other Disney Channels, ie Disney Channel UK, as I reckon it would help people understand 9/11 a lot better. A brilliant, wonderful, and touching movie.

Outstanding!

Author: sga-4 from Houston, Texas
9 August 2004

I was most impressed with this latest Disney original. I have found many Disney movies to be fun and entertaining, but this one is phenomenal. The story is well written and both entertaining and emotionally intense. The acting is exceptional. Bill Pullman did a great job in this movie. The child actors were right on the mark as well. Troy Evans's portrayal of Mr. Horner was both intensely dramatic and enjoyably comic. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and it sparked interesting conversations with my children. It was a great angle on the 9/11 story and was based on factual events. A friend of mine whose son is in the Navy was actually on a similar cruise on 9/11.

All the themes addressed in the movie, patriotism, obedience, loyalty, compassion and sacrifice are values that are too often ignored in our society today and especially in the movies. Although it doesn't have a snowball's chance (political correctness and all that)...it should win SOME KIND of an award...Best Made for TV Movie?

Very Interesting Movie...

Author: James Shaw (Simba7) from Billings, MT, USA
11 September 2005

What I found interesting about this movie was it was part of OUR WestPac '01 Deployment.

The USS Benfold (DDG-65) was part of the USS Constellation (CV-64) Battlegroup while I was still in the U.S. Navy. Most of the movie is true. We had "tigers" on-board our ship when the 9/11 attacks hit. The sailors, along with the "tigers", were both shocked. I, initially, thought it was a movie. I found out a few minutes later that it was definitely real.

I am glad that our Battlegroup was based on a rather good movie. I know some of the "tigers" on-board our ship wanted to help out when the towers were attacked.

A big thumps up and a Bravo Zulu for Disney.. and Thanks for your support.

Sincerely, SN Shaw, J., USS Benfold (DDG-65) - Apr98-Jan02

Best Disney movie so far

Author: b2kfanz32 (b2kfanz32@yahoo.com) from United States
17 August 2004

Tiger Cruise teaches you about what sort of things went on around the time of September 11, 2001. Also at the same time, teaches you about the importance of family. The audience enters the story through the eyes of a young girl, who's father is a Navy captain. All she wants is to have a normal family, and living in one place. She goes on board a tiger cruise, hoping to convince her dad to come back home, and while on board the ship, she discovers something about her, and her father that she never knew. The cast for this film is a fairly new one, but also including some familiar names like, Bill Pullman, (While you where Sleeping, Lake Placid) and Hayden Panettiere.(Remember the Titans) New cast includes: Bianca Collins, Nathaniel Lee Jr., and Jansen Panettiere.

A great movie for the family by Disney

Author: contatd from USA
12 August 2004

My family and I really enjoyed this movie. It showed different views of the 911 attacks. A man with a son who is directly involved. A child who live in NY and had friends who might be hurt. A daughter of a Navy man. It gave kids a feeling of what it takes to be a military person. It also showed how the families of military people also must sacrifice. How in times like 911 we review our own feelings and what we must do for the good of all. There is a lot of room in this movie to discuss a number of topics on duty and doing the right thing. I would suggest the whole family watch this movie and talk with their kids about what is happening. As a Disney movie it is something that kids will enjoy also.

Maybe The Best Disney Chanell Movie...

Author: ZookGuy from United States
14 May 2007

High School Musical, pure torture and ear-bleeding singing. Jump In, utterly forgettable, but good none the less. Here comes Tiger Cruise. The best made-for-TV movie, and unlike most Disney Chanell movies, it doesn't do extremely serious situations and joke on them unsuccessfully (Dad caring only about his sons basketball skills in High School Musical, etc.) This takes serious topics and portrays with, ummmmmmmm, seriousness.

The film begins with a girl who eagerly awaits her father coming home from being a captain on a navy ship for so many years. And this is at the beginning of the school year of 2001, so you can guess what will happen from there.

This is perhaps a career highlight for almost everyone involved, including Hayden Paniterre and Brenda Song ( who would later go on to be on TV's awful 'Suite Life') this is the perfect film for kids so they can understand what happened on 9/11. A good film.

Seeing things in a new perspective

Author: BLLingg from United States
3 September 2006

I'm an Army Brat. A 55 year old Army Brat. (Once a Brat, always a Brat.) Dad had two tours in Korea during my childhood. We lived in Germany for 3 years. Apart from that, we moved every year. I attended 6 different Grade Schools before Dad retired. In my eyes, Army Rules. BUT. I had never realized that Navy Brats whose parents serve on a ship pay a greater sacrifice than did I. My father was away for extended periods occasionally and for brief periods often. But for Navy Brats, according to this movie, extended separations are a way of life. I have a much greater respect for Navy Brats now. For me, growing up as a Brat and even now, long after Dad retired, identifying myself as a Brat, hearing her last words, finally accepting and acknowledging that she really was a Brat was a more emotional moment for me than the 9-1-1 aspect. Freedom ISN'T free. And Military Families pay a cost too. But we were paying it long before 9-1-1 ever happened.

A GREAT Disney Production

Author: psycho_alaskan from Eagle River, Alaska
17 August 2004

Disney's Tiger Cruise is a fantastic movie in which a young daughter of a father, who is in the Navy, goes on a Tiger Cruise during the September 11th attacks. A Tiger Cruise is when family of personal on a navy ship is invited on board for a cruise to see their relatives in action, doing their duty. I would definitely recommend this to ALL families with kids to tune in and watch this movie. However, this movie is not necessarily focused on the September 11th attacks but more focused on how the family of the navy personal cope on board an aircraft carrier, waiting to get home to family and friends.

Some ideas recommended by the Disney company themselves are to sit and talk with kids who watch the movie but do not necessarily know what happened on September 11th or do not know it even happened.

Somehow Typical

Author: Manu01 from Canada
16 June 2007

Somehow typical flag waving patriotism from Disney to the point of being almost sickly.Of course 9/11 was a terrible event,but this teenager rallies the troops and her father is a hero for doing what? The ship was never in any danger and he was only doing what he was paid for.For goodness sake,give me a break.Although the acting was very good,some other aspects of the movie left me wondering out loud----the kids were allowed to wander all over the place unsupervised and unescorted,the heroine actually gets to go on the bridge? An absolute no-no in real life.Some of the scenes were so unreal it was almost embarrassing,especially where the kids just stroll onto the flight deck unchallenged,there seemed to be a total lack of security on this vessel,contrary to all the statements by the Commander that it was ready for battle.