IMDb > Just My Luck (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Not Deserving of the Overly Harsh Reviews

Author: Lily-32 from Utah
4 June 2006

I admit three things.

1) Not a Lindsay Lohan fan. The only other LL movie I liked was The Parent Trap. "Confessions...", "Freaky Friday", "Mean Girls", "Herby", etc. I didn't enjoy them at all (which was surprising because normally some of those flicks are my cup of tea).

2) Frist time I saw a preview for "Just My Luck" I wasn't very interested in seeing it.

3) The only real reason I wanted to see this movie is because I loved Chris Pine in Princess Diaries 2 and thought he was gipped on some much deserved screen time in that one so I wanted to see what else he had to offer - because honestly, that deleted scene from PD2 with him and Mia (Anne Hathaway) in the kitchen was faboo and never EVER should have been left on the cutting room floor. What's worse is that GM never said WHY they cut that scene.

That said, I ended up loving "Just My Luck." Call me crazy and say I have no taste. I don't care. I came for the hottie I stayed for the movie.

Was this an award winning movie? No and I doubt it was ever hoped to be by anyone who went in to make it.

Did it have flaws? Yes. (A few but a minor one that bugs me enough to mention but has no real factor on liking or disliking this movie is the freeze-frame at the end. Should have cut to black instead but that's just me. Freeze-frames are tricky things that should be used rarely and wisely.)

Does it deserve to be bashed and tagged as the "worst movie of 2006"? Definitely not. As about two other people have said, this was a cute, fun, escape-reality-for-90-minutes-to-an-hour kind of a movie with no pretenses to be anything other that what it was.

Okay, so I agree that there were moments when Lohan's acting could have been improved (the two that stick out in mind are when that blonde guy first joins her in the elevator and when she's looking at the broken mirror at the very end). But you can find bad acting in even the so called "best movies" of the year. Sometimes no matter what they do, some dialogue or scene comes off clunky. It happens. We move on.

Overall - considering my opinion on LL in general - I was pleasantly surprised by her in this movie. She's another Julia Roberts to me. I'm not a real fan but she's got a movie or two that I enjoy.

I thought Chris Pine was just adorable in that geeky, down on his luck optimist who (in his characters own words) "gave up years ago. That's my secret to happiness." He was tender and hopeful and just head over heals for a girl who before the ball would never given him a second glance.

I was surprised but glad that they didn't delve two much deeper into the workings of this "change of luck" thing. You knew the kiss was the key and as far as the actual workings of it all, that's all that mattered. The more important part is what happens to the two fortunate/unfortunate souls sucked in by this crazy bit of magic.

When the movie wound down to a close I thought of about a dozen different ways it could have ended. The one they chose is the one I love the best. Two people who would love to have good luck all the time - having experienced the worse first hand - but would rather the other be happy instead.

I loved the scene at the end when they both refused to keep the luck, trading it back and forth until no one knew who had the luck and who didn't. Ashley really grew to the point that she was willing to sacrifice that for someone else which in the end made her deserving of the great guy that Jake is.

And what better way to bring it all to a close then to give the luck to a little girl who is still young enough to be either corrupted into cynical thinking or learn the lesson that Jake and eventually Ashely did; Luck comes and goes. What you do with that luck helps define who you are.

Maybe I got a little to philosophical on a movie that I said was just a bit of fun. I don't care. I thought this movie was all kinds of wonderful. It's one that when the credits began to roll my first thought was "I'll totally buy it when it comes out on DVD". That's how I know I really liked a movie.

I see this movie as an underdog of sorts. And when it comes to movies I tend to prefer the underdog. When someone talks up a movie too much it tends to turn me off (It was only at the very last minute that I changed my mind and decided to watch both Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, two series that I had sworn off due to people raving too much for my tastes).

If that makes me a person with bad taste in movies, then so be it. I'll live happy in my ignorance.

I would definitely see this movie again. And again and again. As I said, I'll buy my copy of the DVD the day it's released.

I give this movie a ten because even though it wasn't perfect, I feel the need to offset some of the really unnecessarily bad reviews and scores it got from others.

Love the Distraction, too bad the movies is so hated.

Author: bajan13k
12 August 2006

To be honest, I didn't expect this movie to have been as hated as it seems to be. It seems to have a high number of both 10/10s and 1/10s... as if you either love it or hate it? Well, I loved the fact that the movie distracted me enough to relax and unwind for an hour and a half. I didn't think it was groundbreaking, so originally I was going to give it 9/10, but also, I though it was very straightforward and plot twists are usually important parts of dramas and romantic comedies.

The thing is, though; I've never expected romantic comedies to have very much story or be very heavy on plot. So, all I was looking for was something to occupy me... and I got it.

There's not much else to say, except that I really don't think the movie was so bad that it deserves a 1/10. When you consider the genre, it was fairly average. Plus, "blonde humor" is funny, and I think that's why the girl-who-was-lucky was so silly: she was really not accustomed to thinking critically, relying on her good luck (i.e. a very positive, problem-free environment) to provide a platform for her success.

Author: Movieguy_blogs_com from United States
12 May 2006

In 'Just My Luck' Lindsay Lohan plays Ashley Albright, probably the luckiest person alive (hence the name). All she has to do is scratch a lotto ticket and she wins. But when fate comes knocking, she accidentally loses her winning streak to Jake Hardin (Chris Pine). What is Ashley to do when she falls in love with the guy who stole her luck? This is a cute teenage movie without a lot of substance. I think Lindsay's fans will like it, but I think this has very limited appeal. It is a combination of 'Freaky Friday' and 'Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen', but not nearly as funny.

It had a good message in the end, but who cares. The best part of the film was when Ashley takes a beating after losing her luck. She has to learn what life is like for the less fortunate. But I still would not recommend it.

Author: DemiTaySel from United Kingdom
15 November 2006

I loved this movie, then again i guess i am in it's target audience. I love Lindsay Lohan's work, and saw Chris Pine in the princess diaries, so i guess i was always gonna love the story anyway. I loved the way Lindsay as Ashley had everything then lost it. I think that one critic said this movie was bad, and they all agreed with him! They aren't the target audience and they should remember that! The story basically is that Ashley (Lindsay) has everything then looses it in one kiss to bad luck magnet Jake (Chris), which turns out Ashley being unlucky and Jake getting all the luck. If i had to say something bad about the movie it wud only b that McFly don't hav to be in it to make the story work, it cud have been any band. But keep up the gd work, Lindsay, and ignore the things they say about you!

Great concept… Not so great movie…

Author: Samee Man from UK
13 August 2006

I like to call myself another victim of the magic of advertising. Once I saw the trailer of "Just My Luck", I thought it would be great. Since, I liked "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" by the same director, I thought this movie would be something like that. However, I was very wrong…

The main problem with this movie is its script, which is very immature and predictable. There's nothing new to see here and you can predict almost everything. I even guessed the ending of this movie as soon as I saw the scene where "Katy" and "Ashley" talk for the first time. If you are into movies, you will too...

If you overlook the silly script, then there comes the bad acting. What is wrong with Lindsey this time? She is totally overacting her part and the actresses who play as her two friends are not any better. It is as if they are doing roles of fairytale princesses. However, in my opinion, Cris Pine does his part well.

However, I am not saying that this movie is 100% garbage. It has two or three enjoyable scenes, but that's about it. In my opinion, "Just My Luck" has a great concept, if it was not for the childish script and bad acting this could have been a very entertaining comedy.

Great Film

Author: lexs_luv_bunny from United Kingdom
28 August 2007

Loved the film, loved the idea, loved the romance, loved the comedy and loved the music. This was watched by me and my sister in the cinema and now after watching it another 3-4 times since then, I can still say that I love this movie. THe concept is good, the idea of two individual people, made for one another, but completely different when it comes to luck. Lohan is a happy lucky young lady, who is envied by her friends as she gets luck after luck. From being promoted in her job to dating an eligible bachelor, she has everything a girl could want from an extravagantly beautiful apartment to expanding wardrobes. She is living everyones dream life. Pine on the other hand is not so lucky, in fact, he is nowhere near. Trying to get the band he is managing noticed, he comes across many funny, comical moments, such as picking up a 5 dollar bill which has been used to pooper scoop. THis and many other bad things occur until the two meet at a Masquerade party and inevitably kiss on the dance floor, switching fates.

From the beginning I liked this film, Lohan (until most recently) has been one of my favourite teen actresses since I watched Mean Girls and Confessions of a teenage drama queen. THis is a brilliant chick flick and definitely should be watched by all.

I loved Just My Luck

Author: chibiusa3 from United States
30 September 2006

There were so many factors that made me smile all through the movie. When I bought a ticket along with my sister, I entered the theather's doors not knowing what to expect. I have loved watching Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls and Chris Pine in the Princess Diaries 2, but seeing them together in one movie was bliss. Although you don't see Ashlee(Lohan) and Jake(Pine)communicate until like 30 minutes into the movie, you can't help but try and push them into a FAITHFUL situation. Not just that but I loved seeing Ashlee's friends stick by her through it all. With comedy and romance, this movie made laugh and wish I had my boyfriend close by. I especially loved how the movie ended, sweet and with a great message.

Silly, But Entertaining

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
8 July 2007

In Manhattan, Ashley Albright (Lindsay Lohan) is a lucky woman and very successful in the agency where she works. The clumsy Jake Hardin (Chris Pine) is an unlucky aspirant manager of the rock band McFly, who is unsuccessfully trying to contact the entrepreneur Damon Phillips (Faizon Love) to promote his band. When Ashley meets Jake in a masquerade party, they kiss each other, swapping her fortune with his bad luck.

"Just My Luck" is a very silly and predictable comedy, but also entertaining. Lindsay Lohan is charming and adorable as usual and shows a good chemistry with Chris Pine making this movie work. Further, the story has no villain and all the characters are nice. Forget the private life of Linday in the tabloids and enjoy 103 minutes of fun in this forgettable fell-good movie. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Sorte no Amor" ("Luck in Love")

A Lovely Light Film!

Author: bnolan365 from Ireland
12 July 2008

I watched this film expecting a really bad performance from Lindsey Lohan and thinking that McFly would be dreadful but man I was wrong!!! Lindsey Lohan performed a mighty performance one of her best I've seen in years! McFly were good better than I expected and they made me feel like they were just being real which is very good. "Just My Luck" was a great film and Lindsey's bad luck is hilarious!!! I previously read a review saying it was Oscar worthy and yeah I think it deserves some sort of nomination but no way a Razzie!!! I just think it's not extraordinarily good but it light and all will enjoy especially the young kids! So go on buy or rent "Just My Luck" for a good light blockbuster!

A great movie

Author: teddygeigerfanatic from Australia
8 March 2008

This is a great movie that doesn't deserve the hate it gets. Its helped the world recognize the talented lads McFly but also show the ups and downs of luck :)

Nine outta ten for Me! (theres always room to improve :))

Ooh btw i dunno if its a spoiler or not but in da trivia thing :

Audio/visual unsynchronized: In the scene when Jake first goes to the bowling alley to hear McFly rehearse, McFly and Jake talk about giving the CD to Phillips. After Jake goes to clean the toilet McFly resume their song. Danny's voice can be heard singing harmony with Tom, but he is nowhere near his microphone in the shot.

its actually Dougie (Poynter) harmonising with Tom. Just clearing things up!

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]