IMDb > Ice Princess (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ice Princess

Ice Princess More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Your idea on physics is wrong ...

Author: Stan from United States
17 May 2006

Actually, your sense of physics is wrong.

Spinning objects have angular momentum which is a property based on the mass, radius, and speed of a spinning object. Since a skater's mass stays the same whether he/she is spinning or standing still, the other two components take over to balance out the equation. If the radius gets bigger, the rate of speed gets smaller and vice versa. So, if you stretch out your arms, you are then increasing your body's radius which will decrease your speed. If you pull your arms in tight to your chest however, you will decrease your radius and increase your speed. So, the movie is right...

As a skater you know too much...

Author: icee_sk8 from United States
18 June 2005

Most of the movie I enjoyed except for the mistakes. As a figure skater myself the movie seemed unrealistic. Ask any skater that has seen it they will probably say the same thing. If you know about skating you know that you can't go from basic skills to the level Casey was at. You have to take many tests between the levels and those tests are only held so often. For further info skaters can be mean but most of us are nice. Skating does also have a lot to do with science and math. I liked this move and will buy it when it comes out. If you have seen the trailer when she lands a triple it looks like she landed a double. With Michelle Kwan and Brian Boitanno on the scene I thought they would have checked the movie for errors but forget it. I like the actors they cast for the parts but I think I could have done a good job if I was able to. I can skate and I have a lot of acting experience.

Zamboni leads a strong cast in a strong film

Author: ray-280 from Philadelphia
7 February 2006

Surprisingly, not all films about hockey (Miracle) or figure skating (Cutting Edge) utilize the Zamboni as a plot or humor device. Some films, however, like Mystery, Alaska, or this one, do.

It's a shame Disney dumbed-down this film because it could have been elevated to an Oscar-sweeping epic had it been done a little differently. There was at least another hour of film that could have been added here to enrich the characters and the plot. Nevertheless, the movie is still strong and a definite must-watch, especially if there is anything female and under the age of eighteen residing in your home.

Casey Carlyle (Michelle Trachtenberg) is a sexy geek severely lacking in social skills, but this is forgiven by her peers because, well, she's hot, and you can look cool doing almost anything if you look good doing it, even physics. Casey is given a project for a physics scholarship to Harvard, and she chooses to study the physics of figure skating. As part of the project, she laces up some skates for some firsthand experimentation. Along the way, she gets additional lessons in sociology, politics, and philosophy. Teddy Harwood (Trevor Blumas) passes for Casey's love interest, with the Zamboni he drives for his mother's rink symbolizing Prince Charming's white horse.

Tina Harwood (Kim Cattral) is the domineering, embittered, disgraced ex-olympic skater with a Tonya Harding-like history who is now attempting to live vicariously through her accommodating daughter, Gen (Hayden Panetierre), who trains diligently but is patiently awaiting the day when her mother realizes that even her best efforts will not get her anywhere near the olympic glory she craves. Tina is written as more disciplined than abusive, while Gen is more reluctant participant than prisoner of the sport. Gen has built a close circle of figure-skating friends, and still manages to sneak in visits with a boyfriend and the occasional excursion to parties. There are hints that she may be skating more for how good it makes her look and what it does for her popularity.

During her project, Casey realizes that skating is a very expensive sport, but also realizes that her knowledge of physics and wizardry with computers and webcams gives her a skill that allows her all the rink time she can handle. She begins mastering complicated tricks and is obviously a natural for the sport, and this catches Harwood's eye to the point where she takes her on as a student and hopefully a reason for Gen to stay in the sport. When Casey threatens Gen's spot at sectionals, however, a rift is created, and Casey realizes that not everyone is as pure as her.

What happens next is what defines the movie: Gen defies her mother's wishes and refuses to take the sport seriously, while Casey defies her mother's wishes and trains like an olympian, thumbing her nose at a full scholarship to Harvard in order to subject herself to Harwood's vicious but necessary coaching. Casey is what Harwood had always wished Gen would be, and Harwood does not have to apologize for being a taskmaster, because one does not win national championships on self-esteem.

The parts of that movie that could have been explored in much greater depth, especially with what transpires after Casey gets serious about becoming a champion. Some of the skaters here say that the tricks could not have been mastered so quickly, but I have seen skaters who progress just as fast as Casey did, and even if the tests are given at slower intervals, rules can easily be bent in special cases. It is not unrealistic that a highly athletic, talented, intelligent and motivated teenager, working with a former olympian, would make that type of progress, though it is definitely not the norm.

The plot is relatively thick for a film that is designed for the female tween set. The parents who are "forced" to sit through this film with their children from that age group might find themselves checking out the film again after the kids go to bed. Given the cast, in ten or twenty years this may be one of those films where fans of each future star give it a look just to catch their "earlier work." Trachtenberg looks like a shoo-in for an Oscar before she turns thirty, if not twenty-five.

Great Movie

Author: Juliasbaby_girl98520 (Tinkerbell98520@hotmail.com) from Aberdeen, WA
6 August 2005

Casey Carlyle (Michelle Trachtenberg) anchors the production about a young, gifted woman of seventeen who is both athletic and intellectual. She has a conflict. Her mother, Mrs. Caryle (Joan Cusack), teaches in a local Connecticut college and is quite aware that her daughter is a physics geek with straight A's in a subject in which everyone I know was lucky to get C's. She has a chance to use her brain to get a full scholarship to Harvard, but her mother's dream is not Casey's. The personable, otherwise malleable Casey, is as excellent a figure skater as she is a budding physicist and wants to postpone her physics ambitions to train for the Olympics to be held in 2006. This conflict provides most of the tension in this G-rated movie, which has a targeted audience of girls between the ages of, say, ten to eighteen.

Despite the presumed audience for "Ice Princess," Fywell's feature, however formulaic, can find a paying crowd of people of any age and both genders, largely because the acting is so good and even more, because the characters are painted in shades of gray rather than black or white. No one in the story is all bad, and though there are no villains, each character is flawed.

Casey's problem is that she expends too much effort dealing with her conflict. Though she's about to graduate from high school, she's still a mama's girl, always on the verge of giving up her dream simply because her mother insists that there's but an eight-year shelf life for figure skaters. Mrs. Carlyle's weakness is that while she recognizes and applauds her daughter's accomplishments in science, she is so deaf to Casey's own wishes that she does not attend the young woman's training sessions and seems intent on ignoring Casey's performance in an all-important competition. Tina Harwood (Kim Cattrall), who is Casey's coach and a good one at that who insists that her students fall in line at the rink at 5:30 each morning, is at an opposite pole from Mrs. Carlyle. She pushes her own daughter, Gen (Hayden Panettiere), to practice compulsively on the rink, deaf to hints that the girl wants to be just a regular teen eager to chuck skating altogether. For her part Gen is at first hostile to Casey as both are training for the same sport but over the course of the story learns to appreciate her rival's talents and to become her best friend.

Most of us in the audience are presumably out of touch with the competitive world of ice skating, thinking that the ice is meant only for the use of sportsmen especially from Canada who enjoy pushing a puck along the field and getting into fights with their rivals. We not only become attuned to this world but see quite a few examples of the sport in action, as competitive skaters like Korean-American Tiffany (Jocelyn Lai), whose father (Paul Sun- Hyung Lee) works two jobs to further his girl's ambitions, do triples, deep bends, whirls and whatever else impresses the bench full of judges who score every second of each skater as though the sport were a matter of life and death.

I love this movie!

Author: abbster_2 from New York State, USA
22 May 2005

This movie was really great. As a figure skater, I loved to see a movie all about the greatest sport of all time. I have to disagree with August1991 because the movies is supposed to have snobby mothers and stuck up kids. That's a lot of what figure skating is. It is a lot of politics. The mothers and fathers think that their kid/s is the best skater known to mankind, and want them to win. When Gen's mother bought Casey the new skates, that was a tactic used many-a-time in large competition. She wasn't being nice, she was trying to keep Gen in the list to go to sectionals. Even at the lower competitions, and even at tryouts for things such as synchronized skating teams that involve only the people in a certain club, there is politics. One coach doesn't like another coach or parent, so the parents' children and the coach's student won't make it on the team. Ice Princess portrayed this very well, but I do disagree with quite a few of the skating aspects, being a figure skater myself: Tina Harwood calling the class that Casey was in a "Snowplow Sam" class. According to USFSA rules, Snowplow Sam is specifically for preschoolers. I don't think that preschoolers will be doing toe loops and scratch spins. Zoey's costumes break every single costume rule in existence. I don't care who you are, you CANNOT skate to music with words in freestyle competition. There are NO spotlights at competitions, you skate on a rink with full lighting. The test session...disgrace...if any of you are real figure skaters, you know that exhibitions are about as far from USFSA test sessions as you can get. In test sessions, it is SILENT, minus the music you skate to. There is a panel of judges watching you sitting in the stands, not on the ice. There's no clapping, no cheering, only you, the judges, and your coach.

All in all, it's a good movie, but they need to brush up on their figure skating rules before they try again.

A medal winning movie

Author: Jenna Altringham (hayden-panettiere-ukfan) from Essex
17 June 2005

Strangely enough, out of the two movies I have seen Joan Cusack in, I've hated her character both times. Both times she has come across controlling, though by the end of the movie, you do understand her. I'm not really sure if that's a good thing, or not, but one thing I do know is that this is a really good movie. It shows people can do anything they want if they put their mind to it.

Another reason I love this film is the fact that it has two outstanding and brilliant actresses in - Hayden Panettiere and Michelle Trachtenburg. They really make this movie what it is. Another excellent actress is Kim Catrall - I really loved her in this.

The storyline is touching, and it's yet another great story by Meg Cabot, who is an excellent writer.

All over, I loved this movie. 10/10

Finding beauty in the balance: Ice Princess stakes a claim on new world feminism.

Author: (freelancespice) from Southern California
19 March 2005

- Spoilers Within - Raised by her college professor mother, Casey Carlyle is a physics genius in search of a scholarship project that will help ensure her a Harvard education. Casey quickly realizes that there's a fundamental formula to the aerodynamics of figure skating and begins her own mathematically driven experiment to prove her hypothesis.

The film is packed with strong female figures with the few male characters cornered into supporting roles. The lone memorable guy in the flick is Teddy (I had to look up his name on IMDb, because the film didn't really make a point in embedding it in my mind), the Zamboni driving son of former ice skater turned coach, Tina Harwood. Teddy literally exists to clean the ice so Casey can perfect her skating skills. His potential as a love interest carries through the film, but it's not a focal point. There's much more emphasis placed on the definitions of self and beauty, that strength comes from within, and that smart girls are pretty and CAN excel math. This is not your mother's Disney picture.

The overall theme is obviously steeped in feminism. There's a contrast between the old school vibe of smart girls vs. prom queens (the mother figures) and finding empowerment in the balance (Casey's final arc).

Smart can be beautiful, beautiful can be strong, and strength can be feminine.

Chick Flick for young girls, and young girls at heart

Author: August1991 from Montréal
18 March 2005

There is an old Richard Dreyfuss/Amy Irving movie called "The Competition" about a piano recital. More recently, there is the Baz Luhrmann movie "Strictly Ballroom" about, well, ballroom dancing. "Ice Princess" is a Disney movie about figure skating. I do not mean that as a criticism, but let's be honest. Disney rounds off the edges. Or then again and to be positive, this movie is worth a peek if you have any interest in figure skating.

This movie has an interesting subtext. The moms are jerks but the daughters are OK. And by the end, the moms finally come around to understanding what their daughters truly want. I have a vague suspicion that many girls will say - for a variety of reasons - that the movie is not cool. But they'll get and secretly appreciate this message. (As an aside to moms, Kim Cattrall and Joan Cusack play the moms to perfection. Picture perfect pros. If you're a dad, yes, you can take your daughter and her friends to see this.)

My honest criticism? This movie has an excess of estrogen. All the lead characters are women, in fact all the characters are women - save one boy who drives a Zamboni. Given all the movies with an excess of testosterone, a balance seems appropriate. But I would prefer a balance within films themselves, not between films. In a few months, this'll be a sleepover rental for the 12 year old crowd, or aspiring Olympic figure skaters. But it's worth a peek now.

Wow, can you say corny?

Author: Andrea O from United States
19 March 2005

This does have some spoilers, therefore, don't read it if you actually want to see it. But I wouldn't recommend seeing it in the first place! This movie was completely and utterly corny (no that is not strong enough of a word). This movie was extremely clichéd, banal, stale, hackneyed, and just plain a waste of money, time and brain cells.

First of all, the movie starts off with Casey Carlyle, a physics geek, trying to get a scholarship to Harvard. This was supposed to show how substandard her social life was before she fell into skating. Nevertheless, the entire time you see this, you think to yourself, wow she is pretty, smart, and she is not even trying, which in any other situation this would lead you to believe that she was better than the girls who are popular and stupid. But no!! Instead, she has to become a figure skater to realize her feminine potential. (You can tell that this is a man directing this) Secondly, the entire movie deals with her being a figure skater and being so good that she is able to accomplish what the other girls have worked so hard, all their lives, in less than a year. This is incredibly unrealistic and it just makes the movie loose credibility. Not only this, but in the performances you see the other girls and they are all better than Casey, even in the end.

Also, the fact that science was such a significant part of her life is dropped in the progression of the film. You have to understand that such intensity for physics does not just go away, or is not started, rambled about, or perfected by someone who does not actually like such a subject. The movie leads you to believe that she is no longer a "science geek," which if she ever was in the first place, she would not have lost all interest in it in the long run.

Finally, the movie was incredibly contradictory. The reason why movies have been using such strong characteristics in people to show their position is because, if the characters flip flop from good guy to bad guy, not only do have a corny movie, but you also have no definite end or life lesson. This movie teaches you to drop one dream in order to peruse an other, that you have to loose identity for another (for one were you wear more make up and get the hot guys), and that in the end, you still do not come out on top, win the first place medal, but you still end up falling.

I am very sorry that I complain about this movie, but the situations were not believable, the characters were jerks who only cared about one thing and could not look beyond that one thing (whether it was getting your daughter the gold medal, getting your daughter to go to Harvard, getting to skate, getting not to skate, or obtaining popularity.) I have to say that this is not exactly a movie that I should take so seriously. I mean it was supposed to be a kid's movie. But I could not find one thing that I like about it (with the exception, of course, of the Zambonie driver, which still was not realistic that he would do half of the things he did,) and it was a disappointment all together. I give it a 2 out of 10, and I am being generous.

An overlooked Gem!!!

Author: QueerVamp20 from United States
26 July 2016

This movie wasn't super popular when it came out. But the same young girl who played Harriet The Spy is more grown up in this movie about following your dreams but not allowing it to hurt other people - Young Casey is a high school student who has to work on a project for her entry for a scholarship to Harvard - She is a science-geek - She decides to analyze figure skating and see if there is a scientific formula to do it well - and for Casey she does it Very Well!!! - I don't want to give a lot away because this is one of those movies where you just have to watch it - I have watched it over 30 times - It is one of my favorites - If you like movies with talent, heart, and goal achievements along with a bit of geek to chic - You will skate your way to the top with Casey in Ice Princess!!!

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]