IMDb > "Bodily Harm" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Bodily Harm" More at IMDbPro »

Tim Spall in all his heartbreaking majesty

Author: drella666 from Bangkok
19 June 2005

Sometimes great art hurts to watch, and Bodily Harm is an example. Timothy Spall, pouting like a dejected guppy as ever, is fired and cuckolded in rapid succession - and only then do things really start to go bad.

This is bleak, black humour, encompassing sneaky blowjobs, botched suicides and terminal cancer with the same laconic tenderness. I found myself inextricably bound to the fates of this posse of frayed losers, and by the end I was wailing like a baby.

This is the kind of TV they tell us never gets made any more. It does, but it's increasingly marginalised by celebreality prolefeed. Do yourself a favour - the next time Paris Hilton or some such parasitic cretin oozes into your frame of reference, swat her aside like the rancid cockroach that she is, and watch something like Bodily Harm instead.

God, this is great TV!

Author: prose from Adelaide, Australia
18 June 2006

Being shown as a late-night re-run on local TV, I just had to watch it again to remind myself of how good this mini-series is. And it is good. No, it's great! There's something in it for everyone - from a 40's husband-father who doesn't want to grow up, to a wife who gives head to the local sleaze-bag, to a 13-year-old girl who has to be the grown-up in the family, to the husband's parents who just want to die together, and the sooner the better. It's all just happy families, really.

If the script is excellent, then the casting is even better. Spall and Manville are blisteringly good, but then they both almost always are. In the company of clever and successful people, Spall and his teen-aged daughter feel like glaring misfits, and yet I couldn't help but believe that they are the normal ones.

This series reminds me of why it is I watch TV in the first place. If I have to watch 100 hours of dross to then find this gem, then it's worth the effort!!