IMDb > When Will I Be Loved (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
When Will I Be Loved

When Will I Be Loved More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 8: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]

Debutante New Yorker prostitutes herself to 69-year-old to prove to herself, her boyfriend, and "the john" she's worth it.

Author: jessica_crofts from Brooklyn, New York
30 January 2005

I saw this movie because it got a lot of reviews lauding Neve Campbell's performance. Unfortunately, I was thoroughly disappointed. It's probably true that this is Campbell's best performance to date, but considering the roles she's chosen up to this point (Scream, Wild Things, The Company) her opportunities to play better roles is pretty much unlimited.

The story is confusing and the relationships between the characters don't make any sense. The only reason I had any idea of what was going on was because I previously knew the plot from the reviews I read before seeing the picture. I suspect critics got press kits before they saw the movie so they already knew the plot line.

The ending is totally ridiculous, but it's kind of funny, although it's not intended to be. Also, the Count is the actor who plays Tony's father on the HBO series The Sopranos; it's really hard to take him seriously as a "major mogul type" from Italy. But again, it's funny, although not intended to be.

By the way, according to the critics, Neve Cammpbell's character is trying to prove she's worth more than the price her boyfriend and the Count put on her. But her reaction to their tragic ends prove nothing except she's an easy lay and a self-centered gold-digger (even though according to her character development she doesn't technically need the money.)

Artistic and Bad

Author: spidermonkey85 from USA
3 March 2005

This movie as far as what I got out of it...IT does have a very good Artist glow to it with very good classical music to make it even more creative but it dosen't really seem to make sense. I understand it's a woman who explores her sexuality with women, men and/or old. But it just does not have a true meaning in my opinion just a sad, deppressed woman trying to ignore pain thats within her so she has sex with people and trys to get money from her ignorant boyfriend/who knows what. lol. But I was looking forward to seeing this movie and if I would have known it was gonna be like this I wouldn't have bothered to rent it!! forkeepsrules.

IT is beautiful in the artistic light that the director trys to give off that is one thing that is good the artistic Que in this film.

Quite a clever movie but.....

Author: bobqzzi from United States
14 May 2005

This is an interesting, and quite clever movie. It is, as a previous reviewer noted, quite talky, but I find that very refreshing. As was the lack of exploding cars and gunshots. Neve Campbell is her usual excellent self as she plays a very intelligent and sexually adventurous young New Yorker. While quite beautiful, what really makes her appealing is her intelligent delivery of dialog. Frederick Weller does a great job playing her slimy and manipulative (he thinks) boyfriend. From the beginning one gets the feeling that Neve is more than a match for him.

I do think the movie has one (almost) fatal flaw. The soundtrack is so overwhelming it makes it very difficult to hear the dialog. I did watch this on DVD, so I'm not sure if this was a problem in the theater, but I was astounded but poorly it was done. It seemed every time there was a conversation it would be obliterated by very loud classical music. I think some better editing, and perhaps more length, could have made this a reasonable hit in the theaters. In any case, it is certainly worth a look.

A Walking Tour of Manipulative New Yorkers

Author: noralee from Queens, NY
29 September 2004

"When Will I Be Loved" at first feels like a road movie, but for pedestrians on the sidewalks of New York City, with nice use of neighborhoods not usually seen in movies, like the World Financial Center marina and Morningside Heights (if the camera had just moved a few feet west I could have seen my son's dorm).

What seems at first like chance propinquity turns out to be circular intersections, similar to how "Amores Perros" used cars.

Then the monologues demonstrating once again that NYC is full of hustlers and phony intellectuals, let alone obnoxious and pretentious people in any profession or social class, seemed to be striving for a "13 Conversations About One Thing" analysis, with odd cameos thrown in by real people not really playing themselves, including Mike Tyson, Lori Singer, rapper Damon Dash, let alone writer/director James Toback himself playing the name-dropping Professor Hassan al-Ibrahim ben Rabinowitz.

When the coincidences come together, it turns out this is about the kind of manipulative, conniving people that Billy Wilder and Izzy Diamond illustrated much more incisively in black and white with less explicit nudity and kinky sex as they were operating under The Code.

The extensive musical selections are probably selected with great care to add commentary on each unlikable character, from the titular cover song to discussions of specific Glenn Gould versions of classical pieces, but I didn't get the irony.

Page 8 of 8: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]