IMDb > Wedding Crashers (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wedding Crashers

Wedding Crashers More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 66:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Witty, raunchy and sure to become a 'classic'

Author: botner from Chicago
26 June 2005

Saw a advance screening of this on Friday night. Hilarious doesn't do the film justice. You know how in most films you remember the funniest parts and bring them up as you leave the theater? This one, it's hard to remember the best parts because there's so many of them.

Unlike his previous films, where Vince Vaughn is usually reduced to the role of 'scene stealer', here we get a full dose of Babaganush, and he's in his finest form since 'Swingers'. If you liked him in his Swingers/Made persona, you'll love him here. Some of the riffs that he has literally will have you holding your sides with laughter.

Owen Wilson is Owen Wilson. You either like him or you don't. He's more of the straight man in this film, although he does have some pretty good lines too, and he has great chemistry with Vaughn, especially in the scenes where they're fighting. He's the ying to Vaughn's yang.

The movie certainly 'earns' it's R rating. There's a healthy dose of nudity, sex related hijinks, and f-bombs. But it's not 'gross out' humor a la American Pie. It pushes boundaries, but not just in a 'shock value' way. It's genuinely funny.

I saw the movie with a bunch of critics, who usually the jaded type, were laughing their asses of as well. Guys will love this movie and will be quoting it for the rest of the year. Girls will love it too though, and there is a romantic subplot (cheesy at times, but forgivable given how funny the movie is), with Rachael McAdams doing a great job as Owen Wilson's love interest. Isla Fischer plays the role of 'scene stealer' in this one, serving as Vince Vaughn's psycho love interest. And Chris Walken is Chris Walken.

So overall..inappropriate, hilarious and glorious. Better than Oldschool. Way better than Anchorman. Best comedy of the year, maybe the last couple of years.

Wilson and Vaughn: The Perfect Couple?

Author: Jay Vydelingum from London, England
2 July 2005

The Frat-Pack, are surely the hardest working collective in Hollywood. Hardly a month goes by without a movie featuring Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Jack Black, Will Ferrell, or those Wilson boys Luke and Owen being released.

When Starsky and Hutch paired Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller it was good, when Dodgeball put Vince Vaughn with Ben Stiller it was better, but "Wedding Crashers" could well be the finest Frat-Pack pairing to date.

Although Wilson and Vaughn have appeared in four movies together so far, this is the first where they've both taken star billing. In "Wedding Crashers", John Beckwith (Wilson) and Jeremy Klein (Vaughn), are a pair of divorce mediators whose passion in life is sneaking into weddings to take advantage of the free food.. and of course score with girls.

They have a strict 'crashers rulebook', which dictates the etiquette of the pick-up, such as 'never use your real name'. It also suggests, by behaving raucously, loudly and generally being the life-and-soul, people will think you're so obnoxious, you can't not have been invited.

The pair eventually find themselves at odds with each other when John meets and falls for a bridesmaid at the Washington society wedding of the year.

Although "Wedding Crashers" is at times formulaic, the comic performances raise this movie above par and in lesser hands the main characters could have descended into Rom-Com cliché. The fast-talking machine-gun delivery of Vaughn is the perfect accompaniment to Wilson's laconic style. Their single-guy banter's often painfully accurate, as is the acknowledgement they're both a little too old to be acting so carelessly. There are also some great comic set-pieces too, notably the divorce meeting, the weddings montage, the cringe-worthy football game and the hunting trip.

The supporting cast are also an asset, Christopher Walken expertly walks the tightrope of being both broodingly intimidating and likable, while Rachel McAdams' 'Claire' has a charming vulnerability and an easy-to-fall-in love with quality. Former "Home and Away" pin-up Isla Fisher however, is less convincing.

I admit "Wedding Crashers" is far from perfect, at time situations seem too contrived, the nudity is laughably gratuitous, and Claire's evil fiancée Sack (Bradley Cooper) is an almost too heavy-handed device to make Wilson look good.

But if you can look past all that, and simply accept it for what it is, you're left with a very funny film. 8/10

Excellent summer movie

Author: ivko from USA
24 August 2005

This movie will never win an Oscar, but it still surprised me and became my favorite summer movie this year. The plot, as in all good summer comedies, is simple. Two guys who crash weddings to pick up woman have zany adventures and learn a little something along the way. The real fun of this movie is in the actors, who deliver their performances perfectly. Owen Wilson is the aging California surfer type who may be ready to move on with his life. Vince Vaughn is his best friend who frequently acts like a spoiled, horny child but is actually a good guy. Christopher Walken is the slightly scary father of the love interest. So if you have seen Wilson in Shanghai Noon and Vaughn in Swingers and Walken in, well almost anything he has ever made, then you have seen these characters before. But still, they just work well together here. The movie contains just enough real emotion to keep you caring and enough absurdity and broad physical comedy to keep you laughing. This isn't Shakespeare, but it is funny. Highly recommend.

I laughed so much, I cried too. Fun buddy movie of two friends who crash weddings to meet girls.

Author: Seamus Waldron from United Kingdom
5 July 2005

This could have been a shocking buddy movie, but the writing, the comedic performances and the simple concept, make this my favourite comedy of the year.

Divorce mediators John Beckwith (Owen Wilson) and Jeremy Grey (Vince Vaughn) are business partners and longtime friends who share a strange hobby, crashing weddings.

With intricate planning of back stories, the pair crash Jewish, Itaian, Irish, Chinese, even Hindu weddings, always with an answer for that question of "And you are".?

Wedding crashing has rules, handed down from one generation to the next :

"Invites are for losers", "Make sure she's single", "Never use your real name", "Dance like you mean it", "Free drinks, why not?", "If you can't cry, fake it!" and the most important; "Never leave a fellow crasher behind"

Though a kaleidescope of parties, we glimpse the whirlwind nature of wedding crashing. John and Jeremy aren't just out on the make, though the girls are their ultimate goal. They are sympathetic characters. Being the life of the party attracts the women, but these guys really do love the food, the bands, entertaining the kids and dressing up in their suits. Not only are they Wedding Crashers, they are Wedding experts.

The ultimate crashing challenge comes when the daughter of the Treasury Secretary (Christopher Walken) and he wife (Jane Seymor) is getting married in what is sure to be the social event of the year.

Of course, our friends find that this might just be a wedding too far, especially when they are invited to an extended weekend celebration at the Secretarys' home.

The fun really begins and I shall stop telling you what is going on as the ins and outs of this film are delightful. Jane Seymor has a marvellous scene with Owen Wilson and there are many moments you want to berry your head in the shoulder of the person next to you to stop laughing too loudly.

This is my favourite comedy of the year so far.

This movie was hilarious

Author: Rooster99 from Paris, France
16 June 2006

An excellent comedy, Vince Vaughn is a gifted comedian. He kept "Old School" going, was the only light in a dismal "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", and had a terrific debut lead in "Swingers". I highly recommend people considering this movie, to watch the extras on the DVD; there is a karaoke scene at an Asian wedding which will have you rolling. It is a shame it was cut from the movie, but as the director's comments stated, "They just couldn't find a place where it would fit." I was very pleasantly surprised at the number of times I laughed out loud, a rarity for me while watching comedies. The lines were witty, the delivery was crisp, and the jokes were mostly new and fresh. Rachel McAdams was stunning, an excellent casting choice to play the object of Owen Wilson's desire. Despite the more or less rehashed plot (two guys lie about themselves to meet women, only to find that they now have a dilemma when they find 2 they really like), the film is nonetheless novel and original. There are a number of obviously stereotypical characters, (drunken grandmother, artistic introverted son, psychotic cheating boyfriend, immoral mother, powerful father), but they work in this film. Particularly the grandmother, who is prone to drunken scatological exclamations, had me laughing my head off. It was quite unexpected.

Although many of the situations could come off as contrived, they were secondary to the excellent repartee between Wilson and Vaughn. Their comic pairing worked to a T.

R.

Crashers rock!

Author: muri73 from Switzerland
5 July 2005

Movie lives through Vaughn and Wilson. Both show an easy performance and want the audience to just simply have a good time.

The Story is nothing spectacular. If you liked "Meet the Fockers", you're gonna like this one as well.

Its the actors, who make the difference. Vaughn is hilarious and proofs, that he's much better in comedies than in "serious" movies. Wilson plays himself (as in every one of his movies) and scores a good 2nd place.

Walken is just Walken and thats worth half the ticket. The girls are gorgeous. Especially Rachel McAdams knocked me out. Holy Cow! The Crashers are good fun. Not an new invention of the genre, but especially because of the actors, this movie rocks!

Owen Wilson & Vince Vaughn Really Click Well In This One.

Author: BigHardcoreRed from Calimesa, California
19 July 2005

Wedding Crashers is the latest installment in the new, over-the-top comedies cut from the same cloth as Old School or Meet The Parents. It will take it's rightful place in history along side these great comedies as it deserves.

Business partners John Beckwith (Owen Wilson) and Jeremy Grey (Vince Vaughn) are also best friends that go way back. Every year they get together and go on a binge of crashing weddings to take advantage of the romance in the air and ultimately, to score with the jealous bridesmaids, or any other single woman for that matter. John and Jeremy are very smooth and do a lot of research to get a back-story that explains who they are, how they are connected to the families and why they are there. They also have what seems to be at least a hundred rules to ensure the crashing of the wedding goes as planned and of course, this could not be possible without the original wedding crasher, Chaz (Will Ferrell), who is not only THE wedding crasher, but also an innovator, as you will see.

This all works very well for them until they decide to crash the wedding of weddings, Secretary Cleary's (Christopher Walken) daughter and her new husband-to-be. John was unable to achieve his goal at the Cleary wedding of establishing a relationship with his other daughter, Claire (Rachel McAdams), who he is also falling in love with. Jeremy, too, is having his problems after achieving his goal with the Secretary's other daughter, Gloria (Isla Fisher), perhaps a bit too quickly, as he finds out it was her first time and she quickly attaches herself.

The long story made short, both John and Jeremy end up on an extended weekend with the Cleary family and hilarity ensues, very much the same way Ben Stiller was put in uncomfortable positions by his fiancé's family in Meet The Parents.

This was a great comedy in which I have heard compared to There's Something About Mary. I would not place it on such an iconic platform but it was very good and holds it's own along with other great comedies of today. Vaughn and Owen are a great team. Will Ferrell is typical Will Ferrell in his small bit part as Chaz. Christopher Walken's part was too small to really be noticed. Isla Fisher played the psycho first-timer in such a way that it even scared me.

The biggest surprise of this movie for me was Rachel McAdams. I took notice of her in Mean Girls and I believed she would be typecast in such roles for probably her whole career but she proved she could carry a movie as the lead love interest and was very captivating with her gorgeous smile.

If you liked the movies mentioned in this review, then I highly recommend seeing this one as well. It will not disappoint. 8.5/10

Walked out, this movie was an utter BOMB

Author: Paul2076 from Canada
17 July 2005

I lasted just over an hour into this movie before my girlfriend and I rolled our eyes for about the 50th time and decided it was time to leave. The point we left was when the one kid rolled into bed with Vince Vaughn which was, to me, the last straw in a long line of cheesy, over the top corny scenes that were put into this movie to get the most dimwitted audience members to laugh uncontrollably.

I found it funny in the theater we watched it in because one half of the theater didn't laugh once throughout the entire time that we were there, yet the people on the right were howling from start to finish. Was the ventilation pumping something into the air on that side of the theater? Looking back, it seemed as though this movie was written for its shock value alone. I think the writers of this crap-fest basically thought to themselves, while writing, "hmm, what is the most outlandish thing we could have happen here" and then wammo, enter low brow slapstick humour to the extreme.

The first twenty minutes or so, I felt as though I was watching an extended trailer for the movie. It was like watching a train wreck, I just couldn't look away (until we finally up and left). Thank God we had coupons, because I don't think I would have been able to look myself in the mirror ever again having known I had spent money on watching this movie.

Like star wars episodes 1,2 and 3, this is a movie is at its best in the preview. Why waste 2 hours or so watching the entire movie when you can do it in 2 minutes.

Truly stupid and not in the least funny...

Author: bijou-2 from London, England
18 September 2005

Some Spoilers -if this tripe can be spoiled.

This attempt at a male fantasy comedy fails on every count. Most to blame is the implausible screenplay but the hammed up bad acting and impossible premise don't help. Several scenarios simply do not work and the maudlin "falling in love" pretence that is supposed to make these guys likable drags the film kicking and screaming into one of the lamest conclusions in movie history.

The two male leads are about as believable and charming as the skanks they may actually pick up along the way. Fortunately, the two female leads turn out to be equally reprehensible in their poor judgement and immorality although I suspect the writer and director failed to notice this. One would marry for kinky sex, the other to run away from a violent fiancée. What was she doing with that guy anyway? These guys will eventually get what they deserve but I could help feeling the violent fiancé was a much better choice.

If you are naive enough to accept any unlikely plot device thrown your way, hate women, fear gay men, and believe Washington D.C. should have no minorities, then this is the comedy fantasy for you! The film has an odd sense of 50's values that reveals it's point of view to be sexist, homophobic, ageist and immoral (and not in a good way). Add an obnoxious Will Farrell ad lib and you have one of the year's worst films.

If you must, rent it, don't buy. You will feel bad having it around the house.

If you like a sexy comedy fantasy with turn of the century attitudes, see THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN and stop encouraging hacks who make really bad movies like this one.

WEDDING CRASHERS is a hateful sad little pimple of a movie that made too much money in the summer of 2005 due to a sudden talent vacuum.

Good comedy that only struggles when it has to focus on the actual narrative

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
11 December 2005

John Beckwith and Jeremy Grey are committed bachelors who enjoy their womanising ways. They specialise in crashing weddings and picking up women for one night stands by taking advantage of their lower defences. Countless scores of women later, John is getting tired but the offer of "one last big job" tempts him back to crash the wedding of Treasury Secretary Cleary's daughter. Things go well until John falls for Claire Cleary while Jeremy finds himself trapped with the frighteningly clingy Gloria as the pair accept an invitation back to the weekend retreat of the Cleary family.

This did not appear strong enough to draw me into the cinema on its release but, on an trans-Atlantic flight it looked like being good enough to fill some time – which is actually a pretty fair summary of the film's strengths and weaknesses. I say this because it is funny enough to cover the problems that it has and thus will serve up as an enjoyable experience if you're relaxed enough to let this happen. The strengths lie in the lead two characters – they banter, they are lively and they are funny. Funny enough to cover up the fact that they are exploitative and sexual predators and funny enough to mean that the scenes where they are doing their thing are generally enjoyable. Of course it helps that Wilson and Vaughn are both doing their thing as usually and have great chemistry together – good news if you usually like them but, if you don't, then why bother? The weaknesses come in with the actual story because, every time someone has to fall in love with someone else, the laughs stop, the pace slows and the whole thing takes on a mushy air that doesn't gel that well with the banter scenes. Likewise the plot devices in the second hour tend to feel a little forced where they are just used to provide direction and create a proper ending etc. This doesn't mean it is terrible but it cannot be a good thing when you actively wish the plot would take a backseat in a film. The support cast share the comedy reasonably well; McAdams is cool and appealing, Fisher is a bit OTT but is funny, Seymour plays on her sexy image really well while Walken is reliable as ever as Christopher Walken.

Overall this is an enjoyable if patchy comedy. It trades on the usual delivery and chemistry between Wilson and Vaughn and the two do well to produce the film's best scenes when they are together. The need for a plot, romance and separation does hurt the film a little (because it is not as good as the aimless banter) but not a massive amount. Not a great comedy then but certainly good enough to please anyone who liked Anchorman, Dodgeball and other films of similar styles of humour.

Page 1 of 66:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]