IMDb > Ed Gein: The Ghoul of Plainfield (2004) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Ed Gein: The Ghoul of Plainfield (V) More at IMDbPro »

Some pretty weird s**t

Author: Kristian (Steffs_Thumper) from United States
2 October 2005

**For those of you who don't know, this was a bonus disc which came with the special edition version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre** I found this documentary very interesting, yet disturbing at the same time. What made this documentary so compelling was that there is actual crime footage, as well as photos of the crime scene and bodies. For Christ' sake he exhumed bodies and mutilated them. He also made very weird things such as a belt made of nipples, cut out women's genital parts, made a soup bowl of a human skull, and most shockingly, made a suit made of human skin. That is just inexcusably disturbing.It goes to show how sick Gein was. How a man could become such a monster, I do not know.

Terribly inaccurate movie

Author: edmundos
11 July 2014

If you know the true history surrounding Ed Gein then, like me, you will find this movie a disappointment.

The events in this film were just wrong.

The real Ed killed 2 women (and maybe his brother, this was never proved), and dug up about 5-10 deceased.

In this terrible movie, they portray Ed as having killed many more people, having an accomplice help him, and even torturing the women.

There are many scenes that are just unnecessary and smell like sensationalism and nonsense.

If you took all reference to Ed out of this movie, and you had never heard of the real Eddie Gein, you might enjoy it, if you could overlook the hammy acting and occasional prop mismatch and error.

Otherwise, steer clear.

Question about possible source for Documentary

Author: hlinder from United States
3 June 2006

...I have just become aware of this Documentary , entitled " Ed Gein The Ghoul of Plainfield " by Michelle Palmer.. This really Interests me.. as I am very familiar with the Original Gein Case, and remember it very well. I would really like to buy this Documentary,but the big question is, WHERE do you buy it ?? I can not seem to find a source for it. I have been searching all over, but have had no such luck. I get the Impression that this is a real true to life Documentary, that gives the facts, and I would really love to get this one. Is there anyone out there who can help me on this, and find me a source, and help me get this Doc ?? I would really appreciate any help. Thanks HGL

well-made but yuck!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
29 March 2006

I am probably one of the few out there that saw this documentary but did not see THE Texas CHAINSAW MASSACRE. I have no interest at all in it, so my perspective is different. I teach, among other things, psychology and watched this documentary on the 2nd DVD from the movie to see if it would be suitable to use in a lesson on serial killers. Well, not surprisingly at all, it was NOT, as this would be for high school students and the incredibly graphic nature of his crimes would make me an irresponsible (and unemployed) high school teacher. For a class for college students, perhaps it would be useful. But, detailing this dismemberment of corpses, use of their nipples, genitalia, etc. for clothing and home decor is just nasty and falls into the category of TMI ("Too Much Information"). This documentary is not sensationalistic or overly explicit but just isn't particularly pleasant. Well-made, yes. Pleasant, no. A must-see for professionals working with these sick freaks and the voyeurs out there only!