IMDb > "Pimp My Ride" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Pimp My Ride"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Pimp My Ride" More at IMDbPro »

So much fun to watch!

Author: Lady-of-Rohan from New Zealand
28 August 2004

"Pimp my Ride" shows the best of the worst of today's awful cars. Rapper Xzibit will take someone's terrible rundown car to the incredible "West Coast Customs" shop and 'pimp' the car up with the most up-to-date electronics, interiors, rims, and paint jobs.

The transformation of these cars is jaw-dropping. At the beginning, the car are literally held together with duct tape and bungie cords. In the end, the car looks brand new with sound systems so loud they make dogs howl in a 5 mile radius.

Normally, I don't for MTV shows but this is an awesome surprise. This show is highly recommended.

A fun car show

Author: Cam Holmes from Cheltenham, Melbourne, Australia
18 May 2006

This is a fun reality show. The basic plot is about someone who has got a rundown car and this guy called Xzibit and his car crew turn these rundown cars into exotic cars.

The best thing about this show is that everyone can enjoy it - no bad language, nudity or violence.

The atmosphere during the show is friendly as everyone who is watching it are amazed by the wizardry of these cars being customized.

Not only are men getting their cars "pimped up", there are more women having their cars decked out in shiny new paint jobs, thumping stereos, smooth interiors, flash mag wheels, and sweet exhaust notes.

One car is pimped up over the 30 minutes of every show. There is the background of the vehicle and the owner, the pimping crew go over how to pimp up the car.

The car doesn't take itself too seriously, as it's all about creativity and imagination (for the automated mind).

No one loses in this show, everyone's a winner. All we need is a pimping crew in Australia........

Excellent Show Watch it

Author: crossfireL from Indianpolis, In
20 June 2004

When young kids have no money and their cars are about to fall apart. Look no further than Xzibit to the rescue. He takes beat up cars and pimps em. From new interior, sound systems, and they even put in a waterfall in one of the cars! Mad mike, ish, and all the other guys are great people who can work on cars really well. Its cool to see someone smile when they thought their car was never gonna work. One girl had a "bubbly" personality and they made bubbles come out of her exhaust, one guy had surgery and had to drink a lot of water and they installed a mini water bottle in the back of his seat. One time they installed a photolab in the car and the picture came out of the arm rest. Its a great show watch it, It comes on Sunday at 9:30/8:30 central during the Sunday stew on MTV.

Renovating automobiles

Author: IrockGswift (IrockGswift@aol.com) from east orange, new jersey
29 December 2004

It's amazing that a body shop named West Coast Customs can turn a near junkyard material vehicle into a play house on wheels. The show is hosted by rapper Xihibit,and his garage pal decorators at West Coast Customs. This show is fun to watch and give people ideas on encouraging them to fix up their hoopties(An old beat up car). From installing a photo booth in one of the cars to installing a shoe rack,these guys can do it all at West Coast Customs. These guys will find out what you enjoy and put it in your vehicle. They need to have something like that on the east coast but it'll probably be very expensive,and if I want all those accessories in my vehicle I'll just get a new one. But it's exciting to see the guest faces after their vehicles been remodeled. Never in a million years these guest think their vehicles could ever be made over into the road of luxury. Xihibit is charming and funny with the guests. Just another way to keep the checks rolling in his pocket.

One of the best shows on MTV

Author: jwhale9382 from Maryland
23 June 2006

Take Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Now, replace Ty Pennington with rapper Xzibit. Replace the crew with the California based West Coast Customs, and instead of houses, their fixing cars. Put it all together, and you have one of the best reality shows on TV.

I've loved this show since the first time I watched it. What's not to like? Xzibit is an awesome host. He's an easy-to-love kinda guy. And his zingers are hilarious. What they do to the cars is outrageous. I love to see all the crazy stuff they do to the cars. Sometimes it can be a bit over-the-top, but it's still fun just to see what they can come up with. I recommend this show for anybody who likes makeover shows. Give it a chance, you just might like it.

It is Entertaining if You Don't Take it Seriously

Author: Jalea from USA
17 December 2006

I watched this show every once One thing I like about the show is that they create a theme based on the owner's interest. The most interesting episodes deal with musical themed cars. Plus, the cars look so bad, that any change (extreme or not) is welcome. The show has had a few slam dunks. One episode where they "pimped" a volkswagon wagon was pretty cool. They seem to have more success with larger cars, because it gives them more room to play with. There were a few episodes where I was a little jealous, because the interior furniture was uniquely nice and the paint job was fantastic. It is fun to watch, although sometimes certain auto techs get a little silly and lampoonish. And that can get annoying. One thing is clear, this show is all about fun. But, overall, It is worth checking out once in a while.

Best fixer-upper show on TV

Author: desejo_mais_velho from United States
1 September 2006

you people always have something to gripe about. take the stick out your backside. xzibit is a great host. he has the personality to match the leitmotiv of the show. very likable guy. they go through a very extensive process of selecting the most needy individuals. a previous individual on here stated a lot of the do-dads are unnecessary, and i think that is a biased statement. when you compare the salvageness (lol) of these cars prior to the pimping against the finished product, well, you do the math. i particularly like the ice cream truck. i'm sure this will boost the man's profits. i believe most of the pimped customers are college students who, most times, can't afford much more than a pack of ramen noodles. there are other shows that waste money on individuals who can very well make the modifications themselves. pimp my ride serves a different purpose. Great show

How did this last for one season?

Author: GeneralGore from United States
25 March 2007

The format for an episode of Pimp My Ride is always the same so here is the basic rundown of the show- Xzibit visits the home of a person that sent a video showing their old car and asking for it to be pimped. He really doesn't do much other then driving the car and telling bad jokes (and supplying his own annoying laugh to tell you when something he says is funny). The person will usually start screaming and making a fool out of themselves on television until Xzibit drives the car to West Coast Customs.

There, he will leave and does not appear until the end of the show when the person comes back to pick up their car. The West Coast Customs workers will then sit around and discuss what they are going to do to the car. Then they will spend about 30 seconds fast forwarding through the "pimping" and destroying of the car prior to that.

They will usually go over-the-top when "pimping" the car, adding at least 4 TVs per car and other expensive and unneeded items you would not use while in your car. I guess that the car looks better after they are done, but that isn't saying much. They rarely ever do anything to the engine so even though you have car that has a TV in every seat and a stereo system that could cause permanent hearing loss, you are still driving the same old car underneath.

After, the person will come back with Xzibit and they will scream some more until they drive the car home. Then there are about 50 before-after shots of the car in every angle possible.

Overall, they might as well just show some before and after shots of the car for a few minutes and open up some time slots. I would much rather just look at the car after it is done and not waste a half an hour of my time. I would much rather have a car that has a nice paint job and a new engine then a bunch of unnecessary things that make my car the perfect target for a thief.

An MTV show, featuring the rapper Xzibit who fixes up cars of his fans.

Author: polkadotprude from United States
27 June 2006

The show "Pimp My Ride" is another line of those shows where a crew and some host try to fix up someone's car/house/life/etc.

Unfortunately, Pimp My Ride is so extravagant and excessive that it takes away any sort of meaning that the audience could pull away from it.

It always begins with the rapper, Xzibit, who mentions someone who needs their car fixed up and they are a too poor to do so themselves. The person always gravely needs a car that functions because they're devoted to some sort of job/education but haven't the resources/time to get a new car. We're shown the car, which is usually in awful shape, the owner of the car shows the various parts falling off, the duct-taped fender and the non-functioning radio, so on and so forth.

Xzibit drives away to the garage, where they proceed to pimp the ride. Now, this could be interesting, but we see almost no pimping. We see all the mechanics/"pimpers" meet up and discuss what they'll do to the car, then we see them strip down the car, then the car painted (in fast forward – of course) and tid bits of accessories being installed.

It'd be nice if they made the car better, made it nicer with some cool detail, but it goes overboard. TVs on the outside of the car near the wheels, a TV system for a habitat for snakes in the trunk, a working computer system in the back seat. It all seems like too much.

All you're left wondering is how this person could pay for any sort of repair if the car got into an accident, how often is it going to get broken into, and how much will this really help their financial situation?

Great, impressive, entertaining show!

Author: Acoyani Garrido Sandoval from Guadalajara, Mexico
17 September 2005

Pimp My Ride comes from the now overused concept of reality TV that started with The Real World and Big Brother. However, there are 3 things that make it a great family show: the host Xzibit, the West Coast Customs crew, and the extremes they go to when fixing up cars (the "pimpification" process).

Xzibit plays a very important part as the host, thanks to his spontaneous, natural style and his peculiar, unique sense of humor; he made me laugh in the floor more than once. The other greatest player is the West Coast Customs crew. Unlike the crew from their counterparts in Overhaulin', who give a much more professional and serious image, in Pimp My Ride you can see they have a lot of fun while doing the job, giving a lot more informal, energetic, juvenile image to the show. The pimpification process is the third part that makes this show a great one. Even though some modifications are even unpractical like having three PSP's, a DVD monitor next to the dogs' dishes or a washing machine in the car, exaggeration is what counts: not everyone has one of these things on their cars, and that's what makes them so special.

I've seen many detractors wielding the argument that says these cars would get stolen immediately. Well, think about that: these pimped cars are usually worth $30-40'000 dollars of accessories, audio and rimz 'n tirez; a Mercedes-Benz, a BMW or a Lincoln car are worth the same value or more, and some are even more prone to stealing than fixed cars because of their retail value, so the likelihood that a pimped car gets stolen, at least in theory, is about the same as the one a luxury car has. Sure, they look very impressive, but think this too: a Navigator or a Cadillac also look almost this impressive.

This is what makes Pimp My Ride a wonderful TV show.