IMDb > Trudell (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Trudell

Trudell More at IMDbPro »

If you've never heard this man, now is your chance

Author: Darroch Greer (darroch@sodbusterpictures.com) from Los Angeles, CA
16 March 2006

John Trudell is a fascinating and troublesome man. His story is complex and unknown by most Americans. I've read two reviews saying the film "Trudell" is too worshipful of the man. The purpose of the film, however, is to illuminate the man and his message to America, which are both very powerful. The audience can critique what Trudell believes however they want.

The film is revealing of the man, his sensibility, and his situation as both an insider and outsider of American culture. The film is also suggestive, in both forceful and poetic ways, as to our responsibilities as American citizens. It's also original in that it has a strong, unfiltered Indian sensibility. If there were more people like John Trudell in America -- and more films addressing the issues of what true freedom and democracy mean -- our country would be in much better shape. Do yourself a favor and see this man, see this film.

An Amazing Film!

Author: Jory Sutton from United States
28 January 2005

I wish that I could even find words to describe what this film means to me. For me, it was one of the most influential films I have ever seen as an artist, a person, as a spirit. John Trudell's words—his very being are so strong in this film and Heather and her team did an amazing job of giving him to the world. The film is beautiful, passionate, inspirational, raw, real, and true. The power of this film is born from the love that the filmmakers put into it. It is an extension of each individual involved and it speaks not only the audience as a political film with an agenda- but as a spiritual film- a film that touches each individual in a unique way. From the first scene with John on the hillside, this film touched my heart and held onto it until the very end. Congratulations you guys!!!

A great film about a great thinker

Author: alcatrooper from United States
4 February 2006

John Trudell is one of the great minds of our time. You may not (always) agree with him, you may not even like him, but you really should hear him. I have had the opportunity to hear a number of great thinkers of our era, and John is one of them - he brings a number of important issues to the table - issues that are important to the future of our planet (in other words, our survival). If you have a chance to see this film - I understand that it will eventually end up on PBS, but much better is the current tour with John and the maker of the film meeting with the audience - you should do so.

John played an important role in the occupation of Alcatraz in 1969-71, a "protest" that up saved the Tribes - establishing self determination (of a sort) for American Indians - it caused Richard Nixon to return (with an apology) thousands of acres to Tribes that had been promised to them (then taken away).

John is trying to save the planet - save us all - something we all should support and be working to do every day. We are all (potentially?) human beings and as such we should hear his words as they can inspire this goal, to our collective benefit. One of the most important films I have seen of late.

Powerful & thought provoking

Author: elle-boogie from Chicago, IL
29 January 2006

I saw a version (don't know if any edits/changes have been made since) a little over a year ago at a screening in Boise, ID where it was announced the film had been selected for Sundance. I went in totally unprepared for what I was hit with and am forever changed by it. The film-making was truly exceptional and the subject is one of our country's most original thinkers. This is one worth seeing, you won't regret it. Trudell is a survivor and filmmaker Rae, over a period of several years, captured footage and interviews with an amazing range of people who saw him through it all. This film really does go through his life with detail and richness that allows the viewer inside. It's a life worth examining.

informative and respectful with high production quality

Author: davidericson from United States
22 February 2006

I've read about John Trudell for years, heard his poetry and political/spiritual philosophy, heard him speak in person, and am familiar with the abuse he suffered while working as a full-time activist. So I was very interested to see the film when it came within driving distance (two hours) of my home. I did learn some things about his personal life, from childhood on, and think the film pursues the personal and family life without prying or being voyeuristic. I also learned some details about his evolution as a speaker. I saw no attempt to candy-coat either his public image or the lasting damage that his personal tragedies have wrought. I was particularly interested by the different ways that journalists responded to him during interviews and that celebrities summarized their impressions after working with him.

Overall, I came away with a deepened appreciation for his spirit, a strengthened critique of the culture we all find ourselves living in, and admiration for his uncompromising love of human beings and for his persistence. I would have been very interested to hear the commentary of mainstream political figures, in order to watch them publicly negotiate the presence of an eloquent, critical voice who is more often ignored or discounted as a radical or a nut just because it is difficult to hear some of what he says.

This is an excellent documentary.

The Truth about the Trudell Movie!

Author: Annie Arias (ja11534@excite.com) from United States
21 February 2006

Heather Rae, the director and producer, poured herself into this movie, compiling over a decade of research and interviews about John Trudell. As a fan of Trudell's, I have waited a long time for someone to put the puzzling pieces of his life together--a daunting task for anyone to tackle. The Movie gives us a glimpse into his powerful past and how through his writing, he survived the terrible losses of his wife, children, and close friends. There is, no doubt, a mystery that surrounds the one and only Graffiti Man, but thanks to the archived footage, news stories and broadcasts from the 1960s and 1970s, coupled with photos and interviews of Trudell and the people who know him, we learn what compels the activist/artist/actor to create. The historic scenes depicting Trudell's involvement with the American Indian Movement and his remembrance of his wife, Tina, are just a few of the frames that are overlaid with the poetry of Trudell, the guitars of Jessie Ed Davis and Mark Shark, and the traditional singing of Quiltman. Everything you always wanted to know about Trudell, but were afraid to ask--the answers are right here!

Well worth seeing, interesting first hand perspective.

Author: Bioguy from United States
21 February 2006

I saw this film at the East Lansing Film Festival in the Spring of 2005, where Mr. Trudell spoke at Michigan State University. Mr. Trudell is a very engaging person, and whether or not you agree with his ideas or beliefs, it is quite interesting to listen to him speak. He is very frank about the fact that what he is saying is how he feels, and that it may not be the way you feel.

The situation and treatment of Natives in the US can be a very polarizing issue, and I feel that this film helps define one persons feelings about the plight of the Natives in the US. The film is informative without becoming overly melodramatic. It will definitely spark a conversation after viewing! I highly recommend seeing this film.

My opinion of movie

Author: gypsy_outlaw_lover from United States
20 February 2006

I think Trudell was one of the best movies I have seen as far as true life . The man speaks from the heart and his intelligence of things to come have been so right on the money.I have followed John for many many years in his music and his poetry.

I have gone to many of his readings in California to the films debut in Colorado, and then again in North Carolina. I think he is highly Intelligent and a very gifted man. He speaks from the heart, and moves your soul and mind to think. I will see it again if the chance arises, and will purchase it should it ever be released .

I took several of my friends who had never heard John, and both came out of the theater looking as if they had been struck with lightening .They understood what I had talked about for years when I spoke of him or they heard his music.They have become true John fans.And I must agree with them.

At Last!

Author: sjmoore-2 from United States
2 March 2006

Finally, the story of John Trudell is told.

Trudell is an amazingly creative individual with a deep taproot, and this film presentation of his life is dynamic and riveting. The suffering he has endured as a human being, apart from any political or cultural back story, and his big-hearted response, can inform all of our lives. In addition to the creative beauty of the film, it has some excellent documentary footage from an important period in our country's history that should not be missed.

I attended the premiere in Minneapolis with my children (ages 15 to 23) and it was a significant cultural and artistic event for all of us. I'm eager to see the completed version of the film and will continue to encourage everyone I know to see it.

Bring the family!

Well crafted film about one of the most powerful yet least known leaders in recent history.

Author: Linda Piera-Avila from United States
13 February 2006

How to describe Trudell? He defies categorization and labels. He is simultaneously a leader, poet and prophet. His wisdom transcends the decades and even the centuries. His words give clarity to the problems of living under the dominant culture. Heather Rae's superb film illustrates Trudell's message in a memorable and experiential way. Those in the activist community should see this film to gain an even broader perspective. From his days broadcasting "Radio Free Alcatraz" on KPFA to his concerts performing "Bombs Over Baghdad," he gives voice to resistance to oppression and the need to honor the earth, lessons we sorely need to learn in this day and age of global climate change and petrocollapse.