IMDb > The Pacifier (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Pacifier

The Pacifier More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

good potential for Vin Diesel wasted

Author: SnoopyStyle
12 October 2014

Navy SEAL Shane Wolfe (Vin Diesel) fails to rescue security designer Howard Plummer (Tate Donovan). The secret program GHOST is still missing and Shane is assigned to watch over Plummer's children possibly find GHOST in the house. Captain Fawcett (Chris Potter) escorts the widow Julie (Faith Ford) to Zurich to open a recently discovered safety deposit box. This leaves Shane in charge of five kids, the nanny Helga (Carol Kane), and a guard duck. The oldest Seth (Max Thieriot) is in trouble with Vice Principal Dwayne Murney (Brad Garrett). Zoe (Brittany Snow) is the popular cheerleader but she has problems of her own. Principal Claire Fletcher (Lauren Graham) is much nicer.

The movie starts with a weak version of a 007 action scene. I don't think it's necessary especially if this movie wants to be a fun family broad comedy. Vin Diesel is fun to make fun of. That's where the movie works best and where the movie should exist. He could actually be quite a fun straight man in a comedy parodying his tough guy image. This is not that movie. Vin Diesel being annoyed with the five kids and the duck is the essence of what this movie should have been.

Great Little Film, underrated

Author: Jo Young
3 August 2014

I won't go into the somewhat incredible plot line here, but will say that this movie is an underrated gem. Vin Diesel plays his role to perfection and all the kids are solid in their roles as well. For adults the movie is sort of silly, and anyone who knows anything about Navy SEALS isn't going to believe he was assigned to babysitting duty, but for kids this movie is a classic. My daughter must have seen it, oh, a few dozen times and therefore, for sheer entertainment value alone, it was worth buying the DVD.

The truly great thing about the film is how it shows that children & teens are capable of doing things they don't believe they can and that with adult support and guidance they can achieve whatever they want to achieve. Notice I said, 'adult,' not parental. Vin Diesel is acting as a parental substitute but he's also every martial arts teacher, play director and driving instructor who ever lived. He also shows that you can be firm yet not abusive in raising kids, and that respect and discipline of one's self is paramount, which coming from Vin Diesel's persona is a powerful message.

Aside from the affirmation of adults as teachers and role models, and the "You Can Do It!" shout out to kids, there's also the indelible vision of Vin Diesel doing this Peter Panda song and dance routine. But even that is proof that if you love someone, you'll do all sorts of crazy things for their happiness - and sometimes the payoff will be greater than you ever imagine.

odd role

Author: kai ringler from United States
4 June 2014

I thought this was a big mistake for Vin Diesel to take this role. but as far as the movie goes ... a Navy Seal fails to protect a Scientist and he winds up being assigned to guard the children of the scientist and also find the secret formula or something like that somewhere in the house, but it turns out he is nothing more than a mere babysitter, as he has to deal with 4 kids different ages. Still he has to look around the house and try to find out where the Scientist has hidden the key information that Foreign spys are looking for. He becomes involved in the children's life more as a father figure than anything else,, helping them get ready for school and all that,, as I can well relate to my days doing that for 3 kids,, not a horribly bad movie, just not the greatest choice of actors to play that role I believe, I could have seen Robin Williams better in that kind of role to be perfectly honest.

Try enjoying it without tearing it apart. It really is a great family movie.

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
24 March 2014

This movie deserves a much better rating than it has received. So what if it is clichéd and has your typical bad ass turn nice guy storyline. It works and it truly is rather funny and entertaining.

Vin Diesel does a great job at playing an endearing tough guy who eventually realises what is really important in life. He melts your heart as he proves he would do anything for his newly adopted family. Meanwhile, the kids are fantastic, especially Morgan York as the adorable precocious Lulu, but they all manage to keep you engaged in the movie. It really is a good cast.

This movie is supposed to be family friendly with a little slapstick humour, some kick-ass action and a whole lot of heart. It delivers and proves to be a fun and entertaining film. Give it a shot if your looking for a family movie night film or your just in the mood for an easy to watch comedy.

The Pacifier is actually really good

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
2 January 2014

The Pacifier is a 2005 film from Walt Disney Pictures and stars Vin Diesel from Fast & The Furious franchise,Morgan York from Cheaper By The Dozen,Brittany Snow from John Tucker Must Die,Laura Graham from Gilmore Girls.Brad Garret from Night & The Museum and Tangled.

Its about this Navy Seal marine called Shane Wolfe(Diesel)who rescues a man(played by Tate Donovan who voiced Hercules in the same name as the film)who is a family man who gets killed by these bad guys. So Wolfe is sent to take care of the deceased man's family (The Plummers) to protect them from the bad guys who are after a device called The Ghost(which is a chip).But who are the bad guys and will Wolfe be able to protect The Plummers from harm?

Overall it was a nice film for the whole family to enjoy and even though I'm a single 20 something year old who loves watching family movies but hey I love Disney movies and it was nice to see Vin Diesel star in a movie that wasn't an action packed flick with blown up cars;even though this movie had A lot of action packed sequences too.

My final verdict is this ignore the critics and just either rent it out or buy it(or if its on TV record it like me as it was on TV this morning and I recorded it on VHS as it is very hard to get this on DVD anywhere where I'm from) so yeah watch it and see what you think of it.

7 out of 10.

Do you have to wear a bra?....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
22 August 2013

After an elite team of S.E.A.L.s fail to rescue a scientist who developed a top secret device, the leader, Wolfe, is assigned to guard the man's children while searching for information on where the device may be hidden inside the house.

Along the way, he must cope with rebellious teens, child care, an overbearing school official and foreign spies also looking for the device....

Arnie did it with Junior, Hulk Hogan did it with Mr Nanny, Stallone did it with Stop! Or my mom will shoot, now its Diesels turn to make a family friendly film because his star power is slightly waning.

And its what you'd expect, he hates them all at first, they hate him, but soon they all learn life lessons from each other, and I do believe that the eldest son even comes out of the closet (but you really have to read between the lines).

With these sorts of films, there is always a military style subplot, this one involving a machine called ghost, which causes Diesel to do some action scenes every now and again.

Its not funny, predictable, and surprisingly very violent for such a light hearted film.

But my daughter loved it, and that's all that matters, but I'm sure anyone over 10 will loathe it....

The Pacifier

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
3 January 2012

I probably saw a trailer or two for this film during its cinema release time, and naturally I thought it looked terrible, but I watched to confirm that, from director Adam Shankman (The Wedding Planner, A Walk to Remember, Bedtime Stories). Basically Shane Wolfe (Vin Diesel) is the highly trained and expert US Navy Seal who causes the accidental failure of a mission, and to make up for it he is set to be an uncover agent. The man involved in the failed mission, Howard Plummer (Tate Donovan), was killed in action, and his family are now in danger as the enemy is looking for the details of a secret project called GHOST, which he has in a safe deposit box. So Shane's mission is to look after the family, but the widowed mother Julie (Faith Ford) is out of the house a lot, leaving him on his own to keep an eye on the five children: Zoe (Brittany Snow), Seth (Max Thieriot), Lulu (Morgan York), Peter (twins Logan and Keegan Hoover), and Baby Tyler (twins Bo and Luke Vink). For a long while Shane finds it very hard to cope with the needs of the youths in the house, and he tries to lay down the rules like he would in the Navy, but it does not all seem to sink in with the troublesome kids. Slowly though they do learn to behave a bit more, and they start to like their "babysitter", and there only comes the low point when his time is coming to an end and the danger is possibly lessened. Of course the danger is not over, the family are tied up and gagged while the bad guys, including Shane's own commander Capt. Bill Fawcett (Chris Potter), look for the safe deposit box containing the GHOST details, but Shane saves the day, stops them, he kisses his love interest, Principal Claire Fletcher (Evan Almighty's Lauren Graham), and Shane says his goodbyes, but not before seeing a family play. Also starring Carol Kane as Helga and A Bug's Life's Brad Garrett as Vice Principal Dwayne Murney. This was not long after the awful film The Chronicles of Riddick, so Diesel was trying to cash in on the younger audience market, and unfortunately he does not completely pull it off, it is pretty much a mix of Daddy Day Care and Man of the House, only with a trained professional, and less but naturally irritating children, it is not very original, it is not very funny, and it is hardly worth watching at all, a silly family action comedy. Adequate!

Remake of Uncle Buck

Author: Promontorium from San Diego, CA
28 August 2011

This is a remake of Uncle Buck. No one seems to get that mostly because of the back story which encompasses all of the first five minutes and last two minutes of the film. Everything in the middle is sometimes scene for scene a remake of Uncle Buck, particularly when he goes to the school to meet the principal because the kids are having problems in school. There's even a very subtle connection they expanded in this film as the vice principal in Uncle Buck was a Navy vet and in this film the principal is the Navy vet. The only thing they switched is that in both films the vice principal was an antagonist but in this film (because Diesel's character is also Navy, the vet becomes a love interest). Ultimately the rowdy older sister who hated him the most becomes the one who loves him the most and they're all best of friends by the time the parents return.

Panda dance comedy panders to the norm but that's actually OK.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
5 May 2011

The Pacifier is directed by Adam Shankman and written by Thomas Lennon and Ben Garant. It stars Vin Diesel, Lauren Graham, Faith Ford, Brittany Snow, Max Thieriot, Morgan York, Carol Kane, and Brad Garrett. Out of Walt Disney Pictures, the plot sees Diesel as U.S. Navy SEAL Lieutenant Shane Wolfe, who is assigned to protect the Plummer family after they lost their scientist father during Wolfe's last mission. There's also the small matter of locating some top secret technology the father had been working on. But first Shane has to deal with controlling five children…..

So it's Vin Diesel's turn to be the tough guy willing to send himself up in the name of family entertainment. Falling in alongside the likes of Kindergarten Cop (Schwarzenegger) and Mr. Nanny (Hulk Hogan), Diesel's movie holds absolutely no surprises, more so given that it is after all a Disney production. While the critics inevitably gave it a good kicking whilst scoffing at the big bucks it made at the box office ($100 million plus in profit). I guess the big question to ask is just what do you expect from a movie such as this? With its formula and premise clearly not setting out to bend the family comedy rules? OK, perhaps the film lacks a multitude of belly laughs, and the direction is by the numbers 101, but it actually does exactly what it says on the tin.

Diesel dose send himself up, while also kicking some butt along the way. The kids are the requisite of adorable or bratish, there's potential romance and there's even a comedy bonus in the form of Garrett's cringe inducing turn as power crazy Vice Principal Dwayne Murney. Hey we even have a link to The Sound of Music in the story, while the soundtrack, although sparse, is perky and witty. The acting around Diesel is variable, but this is his movie, and most of the fun is garnered from watching him peel away the layers of his macho image. You may have to be the kind of person who laughs at dirty nappy jokes, or wish to see Vin jump in to a sewer, but this is still decent family fun.

A film made to tickle the kiddies and put a smile on the faces of the adults. With that in mind, it's job done. 6.5/10

Hilarious my favourite film when I was eight great comedy , great for family

Author: tashadeans from United Kingdom
16 April 2011

This was my favourite film when I was a young girl . Hilarious and entertaining . I remember going to see this film in 2005, I was about eight or nine and I nearly fell off my seat laughing. It's a great film to watch with your family . It is still one of my favourite comedies. I would recommend it to people of all ages . I must watch it again sometime. I haven't watched in about 5 or 6 years . The cast is brilliant couldn't have picked better . I would rate this film 10/10 100%. I loved it very much brings back many memories with my mother and I laughing our heads off . Good times , good times . If you haven't see this film rent or buy a.s.a.p especially if you are a big fan of comedy .