IMDb > The 100 Greatest Musicals (2003) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The 100 Greatest Musicals (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Cheap, poor and unfair voting turned what could have been a good program into a disaster.

Author: rcoleman_uk from Poole, England
6 February 2005

This program was not really fairly composed. If i had known that they were making it then i would have voted too.

It seemed that the Musicals included went more, not on how popular they were but to weather they had been made into Film/TV shows. I.e the Musicals that are only on stage and had not been made into films seemed to come lower down in the top 100 than the ones that had been made into film (thus getting a wider audience and more votes by the TV VIEWERS). And HOW could they class BUFFY the vampire slayer as a musical, OR Willy Wonker and the Chocolate Factory? They are both good but NOT musicals and Both rated HIGHER than my Fave musical Blood Brothers.

The voting could have been more wide spread and fair. The Program was good but seemed to be made as a time filler for Channel 4 and not a lot of time or effort went in to making it.

An insult

Author: spyk_ from Southampton, England
24 October 2004

I watched this when it aired on Channel 4 shortly after Christmas. I was disgusted. As a huge fan of musical theatre I was appalled when my favorite musical of all time 'Miss Saigon' just scrapped number 99 and my least favorite musical 'Grease' won the top prize. I know that this show was voted for by the British public, but something tells me that most who voted were non-theatre goers who could only name 5 musicals. In my opinion, the program should of been made based on awards, popularity and budget. Then it could actually be called 'The 100 Greatest Musicals', not 'The 100 Greatest Musicals In The Opinion Of All The People Who Voted'.

Don't bother Channel 4.

The 100 Greatest Musicals

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
5 April 2010

I was happy to see this Channel 4 countdown repeated on TV, because I never saw it when it was first broadcast, so even though I knew the list a little, I could easily forget it and enjoy the films I haven't seen from it. Hosted by Denise Van Outen, herself a star of related stage and screen shows, this counts down the greatest musicals in cinema, television and theatre. Musicals in the list include All That Jazz, Gigi, The Producers, Doctor Dolittle, The Jazz Singer, Easter Parade, Top Hat, Funny Girl, An American in Paris, Paint Your Wagon, On the Town, Cinderella, Carmen Jones; Hello, Dolly!, The Muppets Take Manhattan, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Summer Holiday, A Star Is Born (Barbra Streisand and Judy Garland versions), Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, 8 Mile, South Pacific, The Nightmare Before Christmas, White Christmas, Guys and Dolls, High Society, Fiddler on the Roof, The Jungle Book, Calamity Jane, The King and I, Little Shop of Horrors, Bugsy Malone, Cabaret, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Lion King, My Fair Lady, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Moulin Rouge, Oliver!, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Singin' in the Rain, Mary Poppins, The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, and number one Grease. With contributions from Bugsy Malone's Scott Baio, Michael Ball, John Barrowman, Leslie Caron, Willy Wonka's Julie Dawn Cole, Jeff Conaway, Brian Conley, Didi Conn, Jamie Cullum, Roy Disney, Mis-Teeq, EastEnders' Anita Dobson, Four Poofs and a Piano, Sadie Frost, Carrie Grant, Cabaret's Joel Grey, Krishnan Guru-Murthy, Tony Hadley, Anthony Head, Amanda Holden, Chitty Chitty's Sally Ann Howes, Blur's Alex James, Norman Jewison, Mark Kermode, Randal Kleiser, John Landis, Bonnie Langford, Mark Lester, Lord Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber, Traci Lords, Matt Lucas, Rob Marshall, Shazia Mirza, Ron Moody, Richard O'Brien, Miss Piggy (Frank Oz), Elaine Paige, Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, Sir Alan Parker, Greg Proops, Annie's Aileen Quinn, Rocky Horror's Patricia Quinn, Bruce Reitherman, Sir Cliff Richard, Joan Rivers, Jane Russell, Ken Russell, Susan Sarandon, Phillip Schofield, Omar Sharif, Richard Sherman, Adam Smith, Mel Stuart, Claire Sweeney, Topol, Kim Wilde, Jonathan Wilkes, Toyah Willcox, Esther Williams, Jason Wood, Michael York and many more. Very good!