IMDb > Hotel Rwanda (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hotel Rwanda

Hotel Rwanda More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 63: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

This movie is the most distressing I've ever watched!

Author: Tim Johnson from Fremantle, Australia
20 February 2005

My wife and I watched this movie in Fremantle yesterday afternoon and although I had a rough idea about what I was about to watch, the actual movie was far stronger than I had anticipated. The producer, director and writer, Terry George, must be congratulated for bringing to the screen such a horrendous story and yet making that story palatable to the extent that it is nominated for Academy Awards in a number of categories. Beyond that I was struck by the deftness with which he handled the unthinkable through elucidating the reasons the civil war massacres were taking place-the anger that motivated the participants. So often writers leave the audience in complete dark as to these motivations for some terrible event-the perpetrators are: simply fill in the words-mad, evil, stupid, directed, etc. We disagree with the bloodletting but we have no reasons to account for it.

Georges decision to cast Dan Cheadle in the lead role was inspirational-Cheadle handled a demanding role so well that I thought I was watching TV footage or a documentary. All the actors were superb and all contributed to this total feeling of "realness." I could talk about every person on the screen but perhaps my favourite was Fano Mokoena who played the Huto general who maintained the hotel sanctuary. Beyond Mokoena was Nick Nolte's portrayal of a Canadian Peace Keeper-I love Nolte's work but this small role was one of his best.

Please see the movie-it's one of those rare movies that has so much light to shed on a piece of history people would rather not see.

Amazing

Author: smurfmania02 from United States
19 February 2005

Can I just say wow. This movie is so moving. I haven't cried in a theater in such a long time. Don Cheadle has become one of my favorite actors. He does such an amazing job. He deserves to win that Oscar. Highly recommend this movie. Soooo good. The whole situation that is going on over in Africa is so sad. I mean why are we not doing anything. This movie has opened my eyes so much. I have only heard of the genocide on the news briefly, but this movie has made me more aware and I think it will make anyone who watches it more aware of what is going on over there. Another minor note, I thought all the actors in this movie did a superb job. Definitely the movie of the year and has become one of my favorites.

Extremely good

Author: aw8975 from New York City
19 February 2005

I'm so glad I went to see Hotel Rwanda. At first I avoided it because I was afraid it would be too violent or political. But the film handled this brilliantly. The emotion and violence of the events are evident but you don't see the worst directly.

The movie reminded me of other political films. But this one is so much more uplifting and entertaining. It's truly a human story that's so much more effective because it's true. You see the events mainly through one man's eyes. It really is a hero film that shows how tragedy can bring out the best in people not just for caring about others, but for being strong, calm and setting an example.

Go see this movie now!

Author: mtwalsh81 from United States
18 February 2005

I'm going to put it this way - movies do not usually get to me. Even if I cry, laugh, scream, etc...I'm not usually bothered on a deeper level. "Hotel Rwanda" actually hurt to watch, but in a positive way. I was completely drawn into the movie, and the fact that I knew it was based on actual events made it that much more compelling. The only other movie I can possibly think of to compare it to is "Schindler's List." This movie reminded me of why I go see movies. Not only did I enjoy the film and the acting (Don Cheadle is amazing), but it made me want to learn more about the actual events in Rwanda which I am ashamed to admit I don't know that much about. I don't know if this comment will actually make anyone want to go see the movie, but I had to voice a comment for this movie. Best movie I have seen in years.

Well Acted Film for the strong of heart

Author: iohefy-2 from Charlotte, NC
16 February 2005

This film is a documentary of man's inhumanity to man and is a very disturbing film. Don Cheadle is very good in his part and is certainly worthy of nomination for an Academy Award, although I do not think his performance is as good as Leonard DeCaprio in the Aviator or Jamie Foxx who was Ray in the movie of the same name. The rest of the cast was very good in their parts, but I was disappointed in the bit part that Nick Nolte had in this fine picture. It is a shame to see some one so talented have his career go down the tubes because of a drinking problem. You have to have a strong stomach to watch this film but if you do you will be richly rewarded. We need more of the fine writing that is done in this film Hotel Rwanda. Go see this one you will be richly rewarded.

One word: AMAZING!

Author: palpower18 from Limburg, Netherlands
11 February 2005

I just saw Hotel Rwanda. I don't know what to say... actually i do.

But it's so much that i want to say it would take me several pages to write it all down. A quick summary then: Don Cheadle should get the Oscar (and if he doesn't then Jamie Foxx will), the story is magnificent, the acting overall superb, it was brought in a moving, awakening way. But not much in a 'Hollywood-style', Thank God.

That's what I have to say about the movie, now for the story behind the movie.... I'm ashamed to be someone from Western World when I see this movie, something like this should never happen again, i would advice as many people to see this and become aware of what was and is happening in this world gone crazy...

One more thing, anyone who doesn't even have one tear in is eye at some point in this movie has a heart of stone.

Brilliant

Author: eaglemike31352 from United States
10 February 2005

For any human with a social conscious this movie is an absolute imperative. Powerful, beautiful, heart-wrenching and tearful. I took my four daughters ages 18 to 29, none of whom were familiar with this historical situation. None of them, including myself, had a dry eye. The inhumanity that humans direct towards each other continues to perplex and amaze me. Yet, in the midst of this genocide someone like Paul Rusesabagina steps forward and exhibits the true spirit of human compassion and love for each other. Paying attention to situations like this, occurring right now, all over our globe, helps us to become more aware that we are all in this life together. All humans truly desire the same things, health, food, shelter, education and peace. Why can't we just look at each other as one big family? GO SEE THIS MOVIE...NOW !

Hotel Rwanda WOW

Author: kimboley21 from United States
6 February 2005

I just saw this movie earlier today and I remember the headlines at the time of the crisis and never understood afterwards how so much slid by the public on information. Boy I have learned so much from this film and truly hope everyone will go see it. What a wonderful man to have taken up the burden of the crisis he was living amongst and to bear it when so many of the countries in the world turned their backs on him. I am ashamed of our world that we did not help in time and do hope that we as people can not grow cold to third world countries as well as the rest of the world. We are all in this world together period and we need to show love and compassion to all no matter what creed, nationality or even color of skin! God bless you and go see the film it is worth it Kim

A hauntingly powerful and focused film led by Don Cheadle

Author: shattenjager777 from Saint Paul, Minnesota
6 February 2005

*NOTE: I will point out all points where spoilers occur, so those of you who wish to avoid them can still get a critical opinion of the film from me, but I apparently must mark the review as containing spoilers, so I want to let everyone know that much of the review will still not contain spoilers*

The most noticeably excellent part of "Hotel Rwanda" is the performance of Don Cheadle, who gives a wonderfully subtle and complete performance. Cheadle is able to let us know much about Paul Rusesabagina that would be easy to skip through brilliant small gestures. (*SPOILER* Notice the way he discerningly watches the military men in the hotel before the genocide begins--we see what a calculating, thoughtful man Rusesabagina is before we have much of anything that can tell us anything about him. *SPOILER OVER*) Sophie Okendo, Nick Nolte, and Joaquin Phoenix also give wonderful supporting performances (especially a surprising Nolte), but none is given a significant amount of time to breathe, because the film is about Paul and it is VERY focused.

Many have said that the violence in this film is too little and thus distances us from the genocide, but there are reasons for this. First of all, the film is not really about the genocide--it's about Paul Rusesabagina, and it's focused on him nearly every second. Paul *SPOILER* only sees it when he and Gregoire are out running over bodies *SPOILER OVER*, and thus it cannot keep its focus on him without losing some violence. It also makes a point that the violence is too much for people--*SPOILER* Paul himself, Jack, and Roger are all rendered essentially mute when they see it: Paul has his emotional breakdown immediately after, Jack is silent while setting up his tape, and Roger is reduced to hiding scared silently, not even capable of telling his parents that it's not his blood *SPOILER OVER*. If the violence is too much for people to see, obviously we can't see much of it. It also makes the little pieces of violence we do see that much stronger that they are isolated.

The dialog is very real and yet intelligent and the direction quiet, not trying to force too much on the viewer. The film is also quite heavily without score, lending even more weight and realism to the events depicted. The wonderfully focused script keeps us identifying with and watching Paul throughout the story, keeping him in constant, very real danger. The film even manages to get the story of how the Hutus and Tutsis emerged into it without seeming terribly forced, by bringing in a news team (including Joaquin Phoenix, who is rather quietly building up a very impressive body of work) to cover the events.

All told, "Hotel Rwanda" is a great film depicting a truly remarkable story of a man doing wonderful things in an almost unbelievably terrible situation. The acting is top-notch, the writing is superb, the direction is as good as one can hope for, and the story has a powerful resonance to the point that it makes one think again about what nations' obligations to the people of another nation are. In an excellent year in film (three films that I would rank in probably the top 25 I've ever seen came out in 2004), "Hotel Rwanda" is one of the standouts and definitely the most powerful film to come out in a long time. Don't miss it.

good flick

Author: GCDIII from United States
5 February 2005

This movie completely blew me away. I really think that Don deserves the best actor and this movie should have been nominated, seriously people, when did a movie last do this to you. but it did end on a freeze frame which was a little "breakfast club"-esquire....you know,...oh well. All in all I was really impressed with this movie and the soundtrack! If you haven't listened to it then you should check it out. Wyclef Jean finally has something with million voices. Anywho, you should most definitely check out this flick, lotsa great acting and a lot of great scenes just in general.

-George